What Qualifies As A Big Bike?

Gweiloman

1000 cc and above - for sure

150 cc and below - for sure not

650 cc - debatable but consensus seems to be ok to consider as big bike

250 cc - ??

Where is the line between a big and regular bike? In many countries, your first bike licence entitles you to ride up to 250 cc only. Seems to imply that anything above would be considered a big bike. What's the general consensus on this forum?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i would say in a thailand context 400 or bigger, though i suspect there are some 250 owners out there who feel differently.

i always thought of my vfr (NC30) as a big bike, but not really my nsrr 250 rr, though it could keep up with the NC30 in all things and even had a taller seat height.

Completely arbitrary. Personally I feel it's 400cc. When I had my NSR150, it was referred to as a "big bike" by Thai's. Back in the states a bike must be 250cc or larger to be driven on the highways.

Yup 400cc it is. For Some countries there is no need to take anymore practical test after you have the >400cc license.

I think as soon as the little trainer wheels come off

it is called a Big Bike smile.png

training-wheels.jpg

Priceless! That is funny!

In the U.S. 750 & up 400-750 cc would be a medium size. 250 a definite starter bike. In the U.S. th majority of bikes you see on the freeways are full liter & up.

In Thailand 1000 & up is just overkill Or at least in Pattaya area, You just cant open it up to 260 KPH without seeing your life flash behind your brainbucket as a soi dog pedestrian or the usual idiot decides to walk in front of your bike as you move into the next plane of non-existance.

Edited by Beardog

It all depends: In my wife's view our mighty PCX is big, she never rides it. When I am off for 2 month work overseas it just sits there and she uses the Fino all the time.

Well it's maybe better that way, the PCX fires right up after 2 month standstill, E10-91 in the tank and all. If the Fino is left for 2-3 weeks is a bitch to start (sorry off topic, got carried away).

I would also say +750cc = Big bike

• Like 1

This thread could go on for a while!

In this day and age a big bike starts at 1000cc.

It has 2 or more cylinders.

It isn't possible to sit on the seat with 2 feet flat on the ground.

Or all of the above!

post-63954-0-27465100-1360674473_thumb.p

post-63954-0-60980800-1360674489_thumb.p

post-63954-0-15433100-1360674510_thumb.p

post-63954-0-85252100-1360674530_thumb.p

post-63954-0-93380300-1360674554_thumb.p

And my ride.

post-63954-0-11849500-1360674632_thumb.j

If in the Philippines you need at least 400cc to ride on the Expressways. Here in Thailand I would say 250cc is still a small bike. So everything bigger, like 350 or 400cc may be a big bike. As mentioned in some European countries up to 250cc with the small motorbike license, in other European countries up to 125cc only with the small bike license.

Anyway my KLX250 is really a big bike as I am a small guy, can hardly reach the ground he he he. No but I would not consider it a big bike. I guess 400cc and up...

I think as soon as the little trainer wheels come off

it is called a Big Bike smile.png

training-wheels.jpg

Priceless! That is funny!

In the U.S. 750 & up 400-750 cc would be a medium size. 250 a definite starter bike. In the U.S. th majority of bikes you see on the freeways are full liter & up.

In Thailand 1000 & up is just overkill Or at least in Pattaya area, You just cant open it up to 260 KPH without seeing your life flash behind your brainbucket as a soi dog pedestrian or the usual idiot decides to walk in front of your bike as you move into the next plane of non-existance.

whereas you are able to do that legally anywhere in the states?

650's and larger, for off road, are called "big trailies" back in the U.S. - anything smaller was just an off-road bike.

Anything less then 1000 cc's for the highway was sneered upon.

But we ain't in the U.S. Here in Thailand, anything that ain't a scooter is a big bike!

• Like 2

Hell no but on the track you can. Otherwise your looking at 5-0 taking you to jail for wreckless endangerment among other charges. But then again when you are cruising an 1800 cc Japanese rocket there comes that time when you are going to crack the throttle & see what the bike can do.

Hell no but on the track you can. Otherwise your looking at 5-0 taking you to jail for wreckless endangerment among other charges. But then again when you are cruising an 1800 cc Japanese rocket there comes that time when you are going to crack the throttle & see what the bike can do.

in most countries if your riding a 1000cc + superports bike the only thing that can catch you is a helicopter with a full tank of fuel and from videos ive seen sometimes even the chopper cant stay in the air long enough or has to go down for logistical reasons etc

if they cant catch them in the uk ,usa and europe what chance would they have in thailand if someone on a turbocharged hayabusa decided to have some fun ?

the only thing i can think of that goes faster is a bullet,but some police forces dont shoot traffic offenders ............yet :D

• Like 1

in most countries if your riding a 1000cc + superports bike the only thing that can catch you is a helicopter with a full tank of fuel and from videos ive seen sometimes even the chopper cant stay in the air long enough or has to go down for logistical reasons etc

if they cant catch them in the uk ,usa and europe what chance would they have in thailand if someone on a turbocharged hayabusa decided to have some fun ?

the only thing i can think of that goes faster is a bullet,but some police forces dont shoot traffic offenders ............yet biggrin.png

This would be a great bike for that scenario Of course retrofitted w/ surface to air missles & hellfire to guard your back........Just look out for those Pesky Drones.smile.png

post-32440-0-85197800-1360720468_thumb.j

Edited by Beardog