Isaan Farmers Meeting No8

aussieruss

OK some Details.

Date / Time

You will be welcome anytime from mid morning onwards on Saturday 30 March 2013. We shall provide an al-fresco BBQ style lunch for those who arrive in time and dinner in the evening, farang & thai food. Charge for food will be 100 baht per person per meal. We will stock a large cooler with beer - Leo and Chang Export as well as some Coke. Any other drinks you require you must bring yourself. You will be invited to put 50 baht into a tin for each beer you consume - fair enough? My pension doesn't run to free booze and food!

We are located just off route 23 East of Roi Et. I attach a sketch map showing our location and our telephone numbers in case you get lost.

Accommodation

There are two good short-time resorts within 2km of us, they are Ban Suan Resort and Relax Resort, both of which are shown on the sketch map. I don't intend to pre-book as I understand there is usually room, but I suggest it may be wise if you go there first and check-in to make sure you have a room for later. Failing that there are many hotels in Roi Et.

Attendees

It would help us arrange catering if those who intend to come can let me know on the Forum here.

Meeting Agenda

I shall add a separate comment on my concept of these meetings!

Looking forward to seeing everyone, old friends and new smile.png

Map _PWF_Resorts.pdf

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, will be there and I will bring more beer than I can drink (quite a lot). I missed the last meeting and so will do my best to be there this time. With wife.

I like the simple in your face way the terms are set out, I have no problems with that.

It could be that I drive back home the same day, 2 hours drive.

Looking forward to meeting you exotic mysterious adventurers.

WF,

Ever the statesman, thank you for picking up the slack so quickly.

My mega drama of yesterday has been eradicated so my mind is now back in gear. OK guys, my place doesn't have the pool and the setting,nor are there so many places to sleep as close. But I did promise to show you some composting tricks, how fertiliser works etc... So up to you.

Either way WF's announced rules of engagement are a very positive step forward, well done.

However, for me, no hobby, but might be a bit amateurish.

IA

• Like 1

hi all

well i woke this morning to the news i thought what will i do now 1year 1meeting .how do imeet the farmers that i can get ideas from thatlive in the LOS .i have meet WF phurgus and all the boys and wives last year good meeting had by all.then this year spoke to IA tony thought great pig farm differant part of thailand to see noing things have been stressfull of late .tony said lets do it a BBQ great .i pm revar would he like a lift to IA as he lives 10km up the road at Dankhonthot Korat . when i asked for some kind farmer to have a meeting this march/april it ends up i can go to WORM FARMERS IA tonys andREVARS that i will ring soon so not1but 3 great so all 3 i will ring soon rgds russell PS tony i hope the dr jurds jungle juice didnt scare you off

WF,

Ever the statesman, thank you for picking up the slack so quickly.

My mega drama of yesterday has been eradicated so my mind is now back in gear. OK guys, my place doesn't have the pool and the setting,nor are there so many places to sleep as close. But I did promise to show you some composting tricks, how fertiliser works etc... So up to you.

Either way WF's announced rules of engagement are a very positive step forward, well done.

However, for me, no hobby, but might be a bit amateurish.

IA

Tony, Sorry, I am not trying to steal your thunder, but with only two and a half weeks to go a decision was needed, also since I (like you) have hosted a meeting before it is fairly easy for me just to repeat the process! However, I am hoping that you will come and I am sure that people will be interested in anything you have to say about composting, I certainly will be, so don't let my comments about informality stop you as I know you are an authority on the subject and, after all, exchanging ideas is what it's all about.

• Like 1

hi all

well i woke this morning to the news i thought what will i do now 1year 1meeting .how do imeet the farmers that i can get ideas from thatlive in the LOS .i have meet WF phurgus and all the boys and wives last year good meeting had by all.then this year spoke to IA tony thought great pig farm differant part of thailand to see noing things have been stressfull of late .tony said lets do it a BBQ great .i pm revar would he like a lift to IA as he lives 10km up the road at Dankhonthot Korat . when i asked for some kind farmer to have a meeting this march/april it ends up i can go to WORM FARMERS IA tonys andREVARS that i will ring soon so not1but 3 great so all 3 i will ring soon rgds russell PS tony i hope the dr jurds jungle juice didnt scare you off

Russell, Sorry you have to come to us again instead of Tony's pig farm, but with a bit of luck there will be some new people for you to meet compared with last year.

Hi WF,

Oh I think we have enough time to collect the thoughts of a few others on venue. There have been some discussions on the side here so we will wait for things to filter through.

IA

Perhaps I should explain this a little further. I have had several conversations privately with people who have expressed interest in seeing what I'm doing. So that is why I said I would host this. So before we just change venue I feel I owe it to them to allow a little time to voice an opinion. As the originator of these get-togethers, my personal view is a little more focused on the ideas exchange side of things. It is one of the main issues why we all participate in the forum after all. So please comment on your views so WF and I can talk further.

There is no contest between us, simply a matter of deciding which option you want to take. We thought Friday was a reasonable limit on this. Please contribute by then.

Edited by IsaanAussie

This guy down south reckons it could be an interesting chat over the beer, if a certain JC attends. whistling.gif

Asked the same question over the bamboo telegraph on the Cambo border. Hopefully I'll get a friendly knock on my new teak door.

Differently a chat over a beer topic, several beers actually.

• Like 1

Hi WF,

Oh I think we have enough time to collect the thoughts of a few others on venue. There have been some discussions on the side here so we will wait for things to filter through.

IA

?

Perhaps I should explain this a little further. I have had several conversations privately with people who have expressed interest in seeing what I'm doing. So that is why I said I would host this. So before we just change venue I feel I owe it to them to allow a little time to voice an opinion. As the originator of these get-togethers, my personal view is a little more focused on the ideas exchange side of things. It is one of the main issues why we all participate in the forum after all. So please comment on your views so WF and I can talk further.

There is no contest between us, simply a matter of deciding which option you want to take. We thought Friday was a reasonable limit on this. Please contribute by then.

Sorry guys, but the plans are on hold. At this stage I hope a piss up is on but I haven't got the juice left for a meeting, kicked once too often. Who else wants to host?

So some body else posted this? Maybe a little clarification is in order. Personally I would be happy to go to W F' for the meeting and go to your place for the piss up on a different day of course.
  • Like 1

I think if you read the posts (yes made by me) in order and all of them, you wiill make sense of it. Excuse the confusion.

Especially this evenings post, please reread that. We are trying to discover whether an actual topic for a meeting is necessary I suppose of just something to have a quick look at during a social get together. Is it just the chance to get together, or is it more like the threads on the forum where a particular subject has common interest. With respect, at the moment you have it completely backwards is my opinion.

Regardless thanks for contributing your preference.

Edited by IsaanAussie

It seems to me that we are in danger of getting a bit over-heated about this which, I fear, will discourage people from bothering to come to meetings at all.

In my own opinion potential attendees have a wide range of different agricultural interests, so no one single subject is likely to be of rivetting interest to everyone. For example, and without wishing to offend anyone, I personally am not that concerned about the nitty-gritty details of rubber farming. I am interested in a general way and I find it interesting to walk round a friends rubber plantation or factory, but I don't want to sit through a formal lecture on the subject. If I wanted that sort of detail I'd Google.

The meetings held to date have been of a social nature, with a "farming" flavour. Apart from learning something about the host's wife's particular activity, with the opportunity to ask more then or later, people have been able to discuss and exchange ideas and solutions for the sort of general problems we all encounter here in LOS (be they farming issues or anything else) as well as discussing more detailed matters individually with others having particularly relevant knowledge.

The meetings also form a basis for meeting other like-minded folk who, if necessary can be contacted later for specific issues of common interest.

You are probably right WF on the general feeling. I don't mind being the odd man out thinking I can google or drink beer anytime, an opportunity to learn something on-site in all its detail should be maximised, IMHO.

We decided yesterday we need to offer the same choice to those that wish to express an opinion. Don't worry so much WF, I can't see this getting heated, no-one has anything to lose, just a chance to speak.

Any chance of making it 2 different dates?

I myself would like to be at both. I have had a lot of contact with IA and would love to meet him. Also he was in pigs which is my main interest. More its my only income so for me the deciding factor would be where the pigfarmers go. But I highly respect WF and love his posts over the years so I would like to meet him also very much.

But the real decider is where aussierus is going since I had a run in with a tuk-tuk. a new side pannel for my car is on order and I probably won't have a car on the 30th myself. Can those whp decide and post where they are going please add which type of farming they are involved in?

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Thaivisa Connect App

WF, I like the social aspect of the meetings but don't agree with your desvription of the wifes and farangs role. many of us farangs bring a lot of knowledge, work.etc to the farms and for some of us its their only income. It looks like you think farming is something for the wife while the farang sits backs and occasionaly gets involved while enjoying his pension. I don't think.thays true and certainly don't het that impression from your posts over the years.

For me personally I need to get some business- benefit from a meeting if I leave the farm for 2 days. Its my only source of money and not a hobby.

That said, I would love to see your operation andwoild love tp meet you/attend. There are about 5 people I realy respect on this forum and you are one of them.

Edited by revar
  • Like 1

WF, I like the social aspect of the meetings but don't agree with your desvription of the wifes and farangs role. many of us farangs bring a lot of knowledge, work.etc to the farms and for some of us its their only income. It looks like you think farming is something for the wife while the farang sits backs and occasionaly gets involved while enjoying his pension. I don't think.thays true and certainly don't het that impression from your posts over the years.

For me personally I need to get some business- benefit from a meeting if I leave the farm for 2 days. Its my only source of money and not a hobby.

That said, I would love to see your operation andwoild love tp meet you/attend. There are about 5 people I realy respect on this forum and you are one of them.

Hi Revar,

Thank you for your kind remarks. I hope we will meet at the next meeting wherever it is.

To answer the point you made about wives being the farmers: In the past there have been comments on one or two threads about up-coming Isaan Farmers Meetings querying if we had work permits. These were generally answered by noting that in all cases farms were, in accordance with Thai law, in the Thai wives names and, regardless of the reality, their husbands were nothing more than advisors. My references to the wives being the farmers was in support of this principle to forestall any more remarks about work permits etc. That said, I am very much aware that for many, if not most, farming is not a hobby but a living.

hi boys bear with me .my thing is looking at the world of diffrent things. last year i i meet WF and the boys . this year IA anserd the call this suited me a new provance a new face. Wf said count me in plus others (great i will see furgus again) then A HICUP i would like to think we can go back to the original plan this would be great . i think we can have a beer and a chat at IA as planed before the hicup .iwould like to see IA side of the world this year just like i saw WF last year i like the idea there is a brother hood that we can call on when the need arives .so as the person that asked for meeting no 8 .i would like to see you at IA 30th march ps i hope jims going PS revar will ring soon rgds russell

Thought I would drop in and see how the discussion was going before going to bed. Revar has pretty much summed my position up as well.

Without copying the rest, a few comments. Aussieruss, you are the guest, yet to establish your family here but seriously planning and education of kids in Oz being paid for, no hobby. Up to us to help where we can and you to spend your money.

Fergus, as much as we are in agreement with what we wish to see here, I do have an issue with this visa issue. Maybe I join Jim on this, but it IS A NONSENSE. With the right visa and paperwork the Thai Govt will grant work visas. Yes even in agriculture. I have done it, it is a long and detailed process but anyone with a marriage or business visa can be granted a permit. Look at the site name for goodness sake. Forget the troll comments or those that seek to sensationalise a legal process. Regardless not the issue at hand.

Last year was the tenth year of Thaivisa and they and their sponsers held a number of events as get togethers around Thailand, one Isaan one was in Surin which we attended. Clearly just an opportunity for expats members to get together.

My intention with this forum explicit meeting idea was to differentiate it as farming topic specific. This thread is to set the desires of the majority of Farming Forum posters, that simple.

Come tomorrow evening we need to count the votes. Nothing contentious!

Will be drinking beer with a rubber farmer, with a 3 lettered name on the Lao border tomorrow.

We'll probably talk about this and that, solve difficult problems, and wonder what the future brings..........

When we run out of important issues, we'll send someone to fill up the ice box and start over again.

The farmers meetings have brought together different people with different background doing different things, and letting all explore different parts of Isaan. I have enjoyed these meetings in the past, and hope to continue doing so in the future. Keep it positive! biggrin.png

• Like 2

Fergus, as much as we are in agreement with what we wish to see here, I do have an issue with this visa issue. Maybe I join Jim on this, but it IS A NONSENSE. With the right visa and paperwork the Thai Govt will grant work visas. Yes even in agriculture. I have done it, it is a long and detailed process but anyone with a marriage or business visa can be granted a permit. Look at the site name for goodness sake. Forget the troll comments or those that seek to sensationalise a legal process. Regardless not the issue at hand.

Tony, you should read my post again, I said nothing about the difficulty or legality or otherwise of obtaining visas or work permits, I am not qualified to pronounce on such complicated and contentious issues - I simply answered a question as why I had referred to the wives as the land owners and hence the "farmers", which was to forestall any snide remarks about having work permits, as has occurred in the past.

hi boys bear with me .my thing is looking at the world of diffrent things. last year i i meet WF and the boys . this year IA anserd the call this suited me a new provance a new face. Wf said count me in plus others (great i will see furgus again) then A HICUP i would like to think we can go back to the original plan this would be great . i think we can have a beer and a chat at IA as planed before the hicup .iwould like to see IA side of the world this year just like i saw WF last year i like the idea there is a brother hood that we can call on when the need arives .so as the person that asked for meeting no 8 .i would like to see you at IA 30th march ps i hope jims going PS revar will ring soon rgds russell

I quite appreciate Russell's view; last year on his holiday he attended the meeting here, so now he wants to see a different place, which is entirely understandable. Actually this is fine by me, I have no burning desire to host another meeting, I only stepped in when IA asked for someone else to take it on. Since he has now overcome his mega drama and is now willing to re-assume hosting the meeting I propose that we all revert back to square one with the meeting at IA's on 30 March 2013.

• Like 1

Well. I was looking forward to an informative discussion and this looks like becoming a disgruntled pissup so I think i won't be postponing my honeymoon after all. (I can get disgruntedly p**sed with or without my wife on a beach somewhere). Lack of lucid communication has led to this, wish I could have come to the last meeting, I was in Lampang that weekend, getting undisgruntedly p**sed.

Yes we do, no we don't doesn't do it for me I'm afraid, which is why I initially said yes to WF's counter proposition. Thanks to all involved, I guess this makes me a pariah.