One Pissed Off Farang

Tanis

My wife just called and informed me that someone poured crude oil all over our cat today while we were teaching at school. Does anyone have any suggestions about removing the oil from our cat? Apologies in advance if I posted this in the wrong section of the forums.

Lynn

A quick google tells me "Dawn" dishwashing soap is the detergent of choice for removing crude oil from animals, I do wonder though if it is crude oil where did the person get it, maybe works at a refinery..... that's where I would be looking for the culprit.

Baby shampoo is worth a try. Mix with water and rub in by hand - then use a warm (not hot) shower. Repeat as required.

If your cat's never had a shower - you'll have a fight on your hands. Hold him under his chest with two fingers between front legs and two either side of front legs. This will keep his front legs under control without having to hold too tight. Ignore the howling .... they get used to having a shower after a while.

Apparently nobody seems to worry too much about the as%hole who perpetrated this heinous act ? ? ? If that was MY animal, I would not rest until I had this culprit ! ! !

I wish you good luck with the cleaning of your cat. If this cat is going to put up a real hard fight, I would call-in the Vet to give the cat an injection to put it out for a short while, during which you could then properly "restore" the feline ? ? Just a suggestion, okay ?

• Like 1

Apparently nobody seems to worry too much about the as%hole who perpetrated this heinous act ? ? ? If that was MY animal, I would not rest until I had this culprit ! ! !

I wish you good luck with the cleaning of your cat. If this cat is going to put up a real hard fight, I would call-in the Vet to give the cat an injection to put it out for a short while, during which you could then properly "restore" the feline ? ? Just a suggestion, okay ?

Unless someone saw someone pouring oil on the cat, it's possible the cat simply 'got into something'.. Cats are curious....... sedating the cat to shower it is a good suggestion.

• Like 2

Many years ago i was doing an oil change and one of our cats ,being nosey, tipped the oil drain dish over himself ,and all over the floor, by peering into the dish and stepping on the edge. Washed him best as i could in warm soapy water a couple of times. Hardest part was trying to catch an oily cat before the oil dried on him and he licked it off himself.

Maybe nobody did it to him but he did it to himself by being an inquisitive cat is what i am trying to say.

• Like 2

I was going to say matches, but not too sure how well it would go down in the Pets forum.

I use white spirit when degreasing and I have never had any skin reaction, not sure if that would work for the initial cleanse and then warm soapies after that.

• Like 2

A quick google tells me "Dawn" dishwashing soap is the detergent of choice for removing crude oil from animals, I do wonder though if it is crude oil where did the person get it, maybe works at a refinery..... that's where I would be looking for the culprit.

Yep Dawn is the ticket.

I've even seen Greenpeace volunteers using it on critters caught in oil spills.

Speaking of which,

Can you even get Dawn in TL?

it is unlikely to be crude oil unless there are plenty of wells in your area and unrefined oil is available to the average guy.

more likely it is used motor oil.

• Like 1

keep the cat in the house

Not condoning what this person did, but what was your cat doing running around the neighborhood

Perhaps in the future, you will keep you pet in the house or supervise it when it is out

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

What was it doing? it was being a <deleted> cat. how do supervise one of them?

• Like 1

We had a similar problem years ago in the UK. Moggie got into the local plant-hire place and got covered in engine oil. We started with baby shampoo and worked up in strength to washing powder before we found something that would shift it.

I still bear the scars (ok I don't really) but bathing kitty was traumatic for the cat and painful for us.

Hope the cat suffers no lasting damage.

On a lighter note, some cat bathing instructions here http://f2.org/humour/catbath.html

• Like 1

Just a thought from a recipe I know for cleaning animals who've had a run in with a skunk:

mix your detergent with some water and baking soda

The baking soda will foam and help lift the oil out of the deeper parts of the fur

Then rinse thoroughly.

A pointless and unhelpful post making assumptions based on nothing but imagination has been removed. OP is looking for helpful suggestions. Not judgement from people who don't know the circumstances. If you have nothing USEFUL to offer, suggest you say nothing at all.

As a followup: this is what I have about a kind of detergent to remove skunk spray from a dog. Without the odoour, it seems the oil on the cat might be similar, so a similar cleaning process could help.

Devised by Paul Krebaum of Lisle, Illinois, in 1995

One quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide

One quarter cup baking soda

One teaspoon liquid soap

Mix the ingredients in an open bucket or bowl. The mixture will fizz. Wet your dog with a hose and thoroughly massage the solution into the coat. Be sure to keep the mixture out of the dog’s eyes, nose and mouth. If it is necessary to apply it to the dog’s face, very carefully use a washcloth or a sponge. After applying the mixture to all parts of your dog that may have been sprayed, rinse the dog thoroughly.

*Warning* This mixture can be explosive, as it will fizz and creates pressure if it is enclosed in a tightly sealed container. Never store any unused portion.

keep the cat in the house

You don't keep a cat in the house, cats are hunters, they have to be allowed out. Our cat has a bell round it's neck and never catches anything but Geckos, as for the oil, the cat was very unlucky, it must be very friendly to let someone near it to pour oil over it.

A pointless and unhelpful post making assumptions based on nothing but imagination has been removed. OP is looking for helpful suggestions. Not judgement from people who don't know the circumstances. If you have nothing USEFUL to offer, suggest you say nothing at all.

I removed my post.

Edited by qdinthailand