Thailand's Prostitution Image Is Embarrassing

webfact

Thailand's Prostitution Image Is Embarrassing

The embarrasing part would be, that most of them are downright ugly. sad.png

The embarrassing part is your statement. Anyone with any knowledge of Thailand and Thai social circles knows better. It appears that you've been hanging out with the lowest level of society.

Prostitution IS illegal in Thailand. And actual prostitution is less common than in most other countries.

All countries have a sex industry - and how they deal with them generally tells you a lot about those countries. Ranging from "organised" brothels, to ignoring the issue, to sweeping it under the carpet, to draconian bans.

But in Thailand, they have it right. "Good-time girls" are plentiful, but here is the difference between the Land Of Smiles and everywhere else: here, you pay for a girl's TIME - not her body.

Okay, it may be a fine distinction (sex will usually take place) but the difference in PRINCIPLE is EVERYTHING.

It is the "businessmen" behind the clubs and bars who are to blame for Thailand's reputation - for "sexing up" their premises. Thai bar-girls are modest and are as embarrassed as the complainers at the reputation this gives them.

Please reference an article of Thai Law banning receving or paying money in exchange for sex.

Prostitution IS illegal in Thailand. And actual prostitution is less common than in most other countries.

All countries have a sex industry - and how they deal with them generally tells you a lot about those countries. Ranging from "organised" brothels, to ignoring the issue, to sweeping it under the carpet, to draconian bans.

But in Thailand, they have it right. "Good-time girls" are plentiful, but here is the difference between the Land Of Smiles and everywhere else: here, you pay for a girl's TIME - not her body.

Okay, it may be a fine distinction (sex will usually take place) but the difference in PRINCIPLE is EVERYTHING.

It is the "businessmen" behind the clubs and bars who are to blame for Thailand's reputation - for "sexing up" their premises. Thai bar-girls are modest and are as embarrassed as the complainers at the reputation this gives them.

Please reference an article of Thai Law banning receving or paying money in exchange for sex.

Google the Thai criminal Code. Prostitution is illegal in Thailand. Sometimes people just have to step up and try and do things for themselves, other can help but not do everything for you.

Google the Thai criminal Code. Prostitution is illegal in Thailand. Sometimes people just have to step up and try and do things for themselves, other can help but not do everything for you.

no, please do it. you will then see for yourself that there is no Law banning it.

On this thread the subject of whether prostitution is (or should be) embarrassing

or not has been argued endlessly and to great extreme. However, it may be more

instructive to ignore the raw conjecture and look at some real world figures.

Looking at the 10 countries with the highest number of sex workers per 10,000

adult female population, we can compare these data with Thailand and ask the

question "Are those countries embarrassed?"

(Figures: humber of sex workers per 10,000 adult female population)

Statistic -- Germany has 9% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is Germany embarrassed?

Statistic -- Malaysia has 15% more sex worker than Thailand.

Question -- Is Malaysia embarrassed?

Statistic -- Brazil has 17% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is Brazil embarrassed?

Statistic -- China has 33% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is China Embarrassed?

Statistic -- Latvia has 51% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is Latvia embarrassed?

Statistic -- Philippines has 90% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is the Philippines embarrassed?

Statistic -- Luxembourg has 123% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is Luxembourg embarrassed?

Statistic -- Peru has 128% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is Peru embarrassed?

Statistic -- S. Korea has 146% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is South Korea embarrassed?

Statistic -- Venezuela has 166% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is Venezuela embarrassed?

Seems that a lot of folks have plenty of reason to be embarrassed.

Maybe it depends on whether folks are easily embarrassed or not. sick.gif

Source: www.targetmap.com/viewer.aspx?reportId=10544

no, please do it. you will then see for yourself that there is no Law banning it.

Prostitution in Thailand has been illegal since 1960 when The Prostitution Suppression Act B.E. 2503 (1960) (the “1960 Prostitution Act”) was passed under pressure from the United Nations, but in practice, prostitution is tacitly accepted throughout the country and is not strictly regulated by the government.

The Entertainment Places Act of 1966 then followed which basically exempted all bars, gogo's and massage places from the definition of prostitution establishments and made it legal for them to offer "special services.

No legal ambiguity for under aged sex-workers (under 18) for both Acts.

Edited by Thorgal

Prostitution in Thailand has been illegal since 1960 when The Prostitution Suppression Act B.E. 2503 (1960) (the “1960 Prostitution Act”) was passed under pressure from the United Nations, but in practice, prostitution is tacitly accepted throughout the country and is not strictly regulated by the government.

The Entertainment Places Act of 1966 then followed which basically exempted all bars, gogo's and massage places from the definition of prostitution establishments and made it legal for them to offer "special services.

No legal ambiguity for under aged sex-workers (under 18) for both Acts.

The 1960 act has been repealed and replaced

I'll take your word for it. Prostitution is LEGAL in Thailand. Guess there will be no more crackdowns then.

I'll take your word for it. Prostitution is LEGAL in Thailand. Guess there will be no more crackdowns then.

"Prostitution" is not one global term engulfing all activities around the "sex for money" business.

Here is a short list of activities:

prostitution: personally providing sexual services in exchange for money

solicitation: offering prostitution

procuring: offering prostitution services provided by another person

advertising

running a prostitution business

pimping

etc.

all these activities are treated separately by the Law.

In short:

Prostitution is not illegal outside "prostitution establishments"

Solicitation is illegal under most circumstances, but acceptable if done discreetly

Procuration, promotion of and profiting from prostitution of third parties is illegal

Edited by manarak

On this thread the subject of whether prostitution is (or should be) embarrassing

or not has been argued endlessly and to great extreme. However, it may be more

instructive to ignore the raw conjecture and look at some real world figures.

Looking at the 10 countries with the highest number of sex workers per 10,000

adult female population, we can compare these data with Thailand and ask the

question "Are those countries embarrassed?"

(Figures: humber of sex workers per 10,000 adult female population)

Statistic -- Germany has 9% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is Germany embarrassed?

Statistic -- Malaysia has 15% more sex worker than Thailand.

Question -- Is Malaysia embarrassed?

Statistic -- Brazil has 17% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is Brazil embarrassed?

Statistic -- China has 33% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is China Embarrassed?

Statistic -- Latvia has 51% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is Latvia embarrassed?

Statistic -- Philippines has 90% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is the Philippines embarrassed?

Statistic -- Luxembourg has 123% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is Luxembourg embarrassed?

Statistic -- Peru has 128% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is Peru embarrassed?

Statistic -- S. Korea has 146% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is South Korea embarrassed?

Statistic -- Venezuela has 166% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is Venezuela embarrassed?

Seems that a lot of folks have plenty of reason to be embarrassed.

Maybe it depends on whether folks are easily embarrassed or not. sick.gif

Source: www.targetmap.com/viewer.aspx?reportId=10544

Another statistic social embarrassement degree analyse :

If Lichtenstein (30.000 population) has only 700 sex-workers I have to believe with your conclusions that Lichtenstein has 500% more sex-workers than Thailand...

Bulls**t. How many times does this topic need to be regurgitated. The primary prostitution business is Thai-on-Thai (excuse the pun). And like gigs and mia nois, it's part of the culture and ain't gonna disappear.

Thats true, but Thailand still has a worldwide reputation and that aint gunna disappear either. It like they fell into a sewage pit and the smell can never be washed off. They have a prostitution image and you can't deny that. Saying that it is mostly thai/thai is not going to deminish thier image.

Bulls**t. How many times does this topic need to be regurgitated. The primary prostitution business is Thai-on-Thai (excuse the pun). And like gigs and mia nois, it's part of the culture and ain't gonna disappear.

Thats true, but Thailand still has a worldwide reputation and that aint gunna disappear either. It like they fell into a sewage pit and the smell can never be washed off. They have a prostitution image and you can't deny that. Saying that it is mostly thai/thai is not going to deminish thier image.

Thailand only has that image because western hack "reporters" keep coming to Thailand and writing garbage. Truth be told, if they wanted to do a story on prostitution, they could do it as easily about their own country, but that would mean they wouldn't have a trip to an exotic destination.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who condem the infamous trade they should look deep and find out if they have not contributed to some extent to its existence. After three decades seeing unnumbered cases of ' lost Farangs ' in Soi Cowboy and Nana, Surawong and Silom, and all others from North to South I feel this is part of the culture.

The trade provides solid income for those workers and their families. They grow old with the trade and it provides them with a pension.

One can not condem one nor try to beautify it, just live with it.

This is the most stupid biased and uninformed article i have read in awhile

To the author; wake up moron!!

That is the narrow view. I suspect the author is doing his best within cultural constraints to tell the Thai Cultural Morons that Thailand has a poor image, because Thailand earned it.

However, all too often people in ThaiVisa forums profess the same idiotic attitude - that all Thai women are prostitutes.

A friend recently asked - How do I find a good Thai woman, one who will be loyal..?? I said - don't look in bars to find such women - talk to the bank clerk, the sales girl, or the receptionist, even a college student...

I don't think any poster has suggested that "all Thai women are prostitutes", but I am surprised that so many seem prepared to sell their bodies in a straight cash transaction. As for your "college student" comment, most of the 300 short-time hotels in Chiang Mai (and the Nimmanhymen soapy) appear to be mostly powered by college students.

I personally know a hundred very hot women in Los Angeles who will bang anyone who has the right connections, rents them an apartment, leases them a nice car, or gets them an audition with a movie studio. Anyone. So, in your own incredibly narrow view of the universe, do you not consider them to be prostitutes? Nearly every woman I dated for my last 10 years in the states, would bang me only after a certain amount or dinner, gifts, and prizes. Were they not prostitutes in your narrow book? Just because a set price is established does not make the local woman more of a prostitute than tens of millions of American or European women, who will bang for gifts and prizes. Broaden your view for the sake of humanity. Do some more inner work, and try not to be so judgmental. Do you really think you are in any way superior to these local gals who bang for cash?

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I personally know a hundred very hot women in Los Angeles who will bang anyone who has the right connections, rents them an apartment, leases them a nice car, or gets them an audition with a movie studio. Anyone. So, in your own incredibly narrow view of the universe, do you not consider them to be prostitutes? Nearly every woman I dated for my last 10 years in the states, would bang me only after a certain amount or dinner, gifts, and prizes. Were they not prostitutes in your narrow book? Just because a set price is established does not make the local woman more of a prostitute than tens of millions of American or European women, who will bang for gifts and prizes. Broaden your view for the sake of humanity. Do some more inner work, and try not to be so judgmental. Do you really think you are in any way superior to these local gals who bang for cash?

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

I don't know many American women, but I have serious doubts that any 20 year old American College students would agree to have sex with a 60 year old man for 1000bht (or less). I don't need to be judgemental the dictionary defines 'prostitute' for me. No judgement on my part required.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

I don't know many American women, but I have serious doubts that any 20 year old American College students would agree to have sex with a 60 year old man for 1000bht (or less). I don't need to be judgemental the dictionary defines 'prostitute' for me. No judgement on my part required.

Just to prove Mike's point,

"Best joke about prostitution ever done was by Bernard Shaw.

He was at a party once and he told this woman that everyone would agree to do anything for money, if the price was high enough. `Surely not, she said.' `Oh yes,' he said. `Well, I wouldn't,' she said. `Oh yes you would,' he said. `For instance,' he said, `would you sleep with me for... for a million pounds?' `Well,' she said, `maybe for a million I would, yes.' `Would you do it for ten shillings?' said Bernard Shaw. `Certainly not!' said the woman `What do you take me for? A prostitute?' `We've established that already,' said Bernard Shaw. `We're just trying to fix your price now!' "

It's all a matter of reward for services offered.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Just to prove Mike's point,

"Best joke about prostitution ever done was by Bernard Shaw.

He was at a party once and he told this woman that everyone would agree to do anything for money, if the price was high enough. `Surely not, she said.' `Oh yes,' he said. `Well, I wouldn't,' she said. `Oh yes you would,' he said. `For instance,' he said, `would you sleep with me for... for a million pounds?' `Well,' she said, `maybe for a million I would, yes.' `Would you do it for ten shillings?' said Bernard Shaw. `Certainly not!' said the woman `What do you take me for? A prostitute?' `We've established that already,' said Bernard Shaw. `We're just trying to fix your price now!' "

It's all a matter of reward for services offered.

This is exactly what I was referring to. Not a question of whether or not the american college student in question was a whore, but rather how much it would take for her to demonstrate that she was a whore. You answered it yourself, by specifying an amount. All you are really saying is that you have less respect for Thai whores, because they bang older, ugly guys for little money. But, having said that, is an American 20 year old woman who will not sleep with a 60 year old for $300, but will sleep with this same guy for a months rent, or a new car lease, or a $10,000 a month stipend any less of a whore? No, absolutely not. But, she might be one you respect more, since she is earning the big bucks. There are tens of thousands of such arrangements in Los Angeles alone. Are they all whores? Of course they are. Let us not fool ourselves. There are just as many, if not more whores in the US, and in Europe, than in Thailand. Just as many. They just look, and act different. And they play by a different set of rules. But, whores they are. That is a given.

• Like 1

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

To match the incomes I think you would have to offer 20,000 baht. Now are there ladies working in strip clubs Stateside to fund college for around $500 a night? Oh ya thousands of them.biggrin.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 1

To match the incomes I think you would have to offer 20,000 baht. Now are there ladies working in strip clubs Stateside to fund college for around $500 a night? Oh ya thousands of them.biggrin.png

Again I disagree.

My income remains the same no matter if i'm in the USA or Thailand.

• Like 2

Again I disagree.

My income remains the same no matter if i'm in the USA or Thailand.

Not talking about you. Talking about the lady college students.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Of course, they will ask a proportionate amount of cash. But, the point here being (as Shaw quoted) not how much it takes, but rather what they are. If it is only a matter of determining how much it will take before they open up, then it is not a matter of determining whether or not they are whores, but rather what the amount is, that it will take to prove that they are whores. Personally, I have nothing against whores. I have met many that are truly lovely women. I do not begrudge what they have to do for a living, and I refuse to apply a (false) puritanical American attitude to their chosen field of work. I know many in the advertising industry, car salesmen, real estate salespeople, men and women working in the entertainment industry, in the US, that I would consider to be bigger whores. Not to mention 99% of the people working in Washington, or Bangkok politics. The noble difference here, is how honest and how open it is. That deserves alot of credit. The covering up of the prostitution does not. That in my opinion is the absolute absence of nobility.

• Like 2

Prostitution is rife in every nook and cranny in Thailand.

Doesn't embarrass Thai men one iota.

You mean the OP is lying?

Mr. Sonthaya Khunpluem from Thailand’s Ministry of Culture sent a letter to inform the U.S. Embassy in Thailand. He explained that the TV clip really damaged the image of Thailand and requested that whoever posted it to remove it. The comedy clip only shows a one-sided view of Thailand, Mr. Sonthaya protested. More preferable would be a documentary with a more balanced view of prostitution, instead of treating it as a joke.

On the other side of the coin, a growing trend for male prostitutes is

emerging, with people in its inner circles knowing where such services

exist.

Prostitution is the financial escape valve on keeping Issan from blowing up and causing a real grass roots revolution. They won't educate the poor because they may not stay under the heel as well, but let them make money to survive, no problem. And with the police as the kow tow overlords of the business, everyone going up the kow tow food chain gets a cut.

It is only since some western Jesuits and others embarrassed some HiSo's a hundred years or so back that the Thai attitude to 'visible prostitution' and visible breasts has changed. So every time a westerner makes note, or fun, of what they have learned to be embarrassed about they start moaning on about what they turn a blind eye to daily.

Pattaya, Patong, Patpong, Nana, Cowboy, are nothing more than placing the prostitution machine where those not familiar with how the country works can find it, and it is also the advertising machine that generates the trade from near and far. But once you know the country, you can see the karaoke's, dodgy massage spots, and hide your car short time hotels in NEARLY EVERY LITTLE to big TOWN and all cities, for what they do: cater to the burgeoning THAI SEX TRADE TO THAIS.

It is just part of the local scene, as long as it is sort of discrete, like no sex acts out front on the sidewalk.

You never see farangs there, you do see poorer Thais at the poorer places and richer ones in the hide your car places, and of course the huge 'Entertainment Complexes, are mostly for Thai business parties; renting multi-bedroom suites, buying bottles, mixers, take-out food and enough ladies to go around or more. The Thai equivalent of Japanese Salarymen doing Sake drink downs with the boss and the other company heads come to do business, but the thai geshias also put out to any and all.

Edited by animatic

Prostitution is rife in every nook and cranny in Thailand.

Doesn't embarrass Thai men one iota.

You mean the OP is lying?

Mr. Sonthaya Khunpluem from Thailand’s Ministry of Culture sent a letter to inform the U.S. Embassy in Thailand. He explained that the TV clip really damaged the image of Thailand and requested that whoever posted it to remove it. The comedy clip only shows a one-sided view of Thailand, Mr. Sonthaya protested. More preferable would be a documentary with a more balanced view of prostitution, instead of treating it as a joke.

On the other side of the coin, a growing trend for male prostitutes is

emerging, with people in its inner circles knowing where such services

exist.

"...people in its inner circles knowing where such services exist..."

Alternatively you can just drive down the street and see the sign in english;

Boy Bar or Boy Massage, or see the dozens of katoys lining many streets after the bars close.

• Like 1