Give Way To Oncoming Traffic....?

anon345535

Is that rule in effect here? Never had a driving test in Thailand so I don't know.

The amount of times I see drivers in the estate where I live just pull out of their Soi's to turn left. Very rarely look just slow down enough to get around the corner.

Also driving on the wrong side of the road to turn right at a tighter angle with poor visibility instead of continuing normally 20 metres along the road and doing it properly. What is with that?

if they are truck, you slow, they go

driving not difficult here ... just different from where you from

Yes, pretty common sense stuff. And you're absolutely right, driving here is not that difficult. It shouldn't take foreigners that long to adapt.

Of course, any sort of driving thread on this forum will bring out the Thai-bashing nutjobs in droves. Just wait and see.

• Like 2

Just goes to show you too don't know the Thai traffic rules. There is no such rule which states that large gives way to small. Nor can you go through a red light. You also don't give way to traffic entering a round about etc, etc, etc I could go on but I have to much to do this week. Don't just read your highway code understand it. You might avoid killing someone or yourself.

Just goes to show you too don't know the Thai traffic rules. There is no such rule which states that large gives way to small. Nor can you go through a red light. You also don't give way to traffic entering a round about etc, etc, etc I could go on but I have to much to do this week. Don't just read your highway code understand it. You might avoid killing someone or yourself.

You can turn left at a red light. I didnt know this till a policeman waived me through.

Yes, pretty common sense stuff. And you're absolutely right, driving here is not that difficult. It shouldn't take foreigners that long to adapt.

Of course, any sort of driving thread on this forum will bring out the Thai-bashing nutjobs in droves. Just wait and see.

Yes everyone not agreeing with you is a Thai-Bashing nutjob. Statistics don't lie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Not to forget that many things in Thailand go unreported.

Thais are not naturally bad drivers, but the state of the road and the fact that there is no enforcement and little schooling if any creates a dangerous place. Compared with UK, Netherlands, or USA

Deaths per 100.000

inhabitants vehicules

Thailand 19.6 118.8

Netherlands 4.1 7

United Kingdom 3.59 7

United States of America 12.3 15

Does show the US doing poorly

Edited by robblok
  • Like 2

Basically if you read the Thai Highway Code and followed it to the letter it's unlikely you'd get to your destination in one piece.

I remember my folks visiting and I went through a light as it changed to red. My mum exclaimed " You just jumped a red light!" and then I pointed out if I'd stopped we'd have been shunted up the rear by the songtaew behind us cos he certainly wasn't stopping.

You also don't give way to traffic entering a round about etc, etc, etc

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, misinformed or just how things are where you are located. Traffic on the right at a roundabout has right of way. From the Thai traffic highway code.

post-566-0-92614100-1360982271_thumb.jpg

And from experience, I have to enter a roundabout twice a day for work and that is how nearly every driver does it.

Could that be because your average Thai driver is about as much use as a chocolate spoon ? now that

does not mean i do not like Thai people (I married one) its just that they have no training at driving and generally are "dim but nice"

• Like 2

It has nothing to do with the Thai way of driving. It is just plain unsafe. The car he pull out in front of may not be able to move to the right or stop because of traffic behind him. Common sense apply and people who pull out in front of traffic just don't seem do to have.

I am always cautious when approaching roundabouts, have yet to see one used properly here.

Have been behind a car that stopped half way through one to allow another car on his left to enter. That is just one of many examples. Now that I think about it....I believe I actually hold my breath when going through a roundabout here. blink.png

You also don't give way to traffic entering a round about etc, etc, etc

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, misinformed or just how things are where you are located. Traffic on the right at a roundabout has right of way. From the Thai traffic highway code.

post-566-0-92614100-1360982271_thumb.jpg

And from experience, I have to enter a roundabout twice a day for work and that is how nearly every driver does it.

I think that you are both saying the same thing.

You (the driver already on the roundabout) also don't give way to traffic entering a round about (driver not yet on the roundabout)

FYI, MissFarmGirl is Thai, I believe. She means to say if a truck is coming, you give way. Might is right. As for red lights, the code may say you cannot jump a red, but you have to be very careful stopping for a "fresh" red, especially on a motorbike. Approaching a traffic signal just changing from amber to red, you are expected to go through unless you want to get sideswiped or rear-ended. Self-preservation.

That is very true. I HATE approaching a stale green light knowing it is likely to turn red just as I arrive. I now take safety precautions and slow down and move well away from all vehicles. An extra few minutes is not going to hurt my schedule, but if might save my life. I don't jump green lights for the exact same reason.

However, I now enjoy riding in heavy traffic. It all flows like water and you have to go with the flow, but always expect the unexpected.

And, the farmgirl is correct. You just give way to bigger vehicles and pay attention to the motorbikes around you. I just hate the young guys who come racing up behind me and then cut in front to get through some narrow gap.

You can turn left at a red light. I didnt know this till a policeman waived me through.

You can, providing it's safe to do so, thats where the Thai accident ratio comes in, they see it as a right of way & pull out without looking into the path of oncoming traffic.

Driving here is as posters have said is quite easy, its just like living amongst all the other quirks here that some farangs find unacceptable. ~ It's the way it's done here so... Accept & Adjust...keeps you out of all manner of problems and more importantly it keeps you sane.

Edited by Tafia

Just goes to show you too don't know the Thai traffic rules.

Hahaha I can't wait for MsFarmGirl's reply to this one..

Someone pass me the popcorn!

I hear you ... but I think it will be a long wait.

For those who don't know, MissFarmGirl is my other half, she is Thai. I had to twist her arm to start and she rarely does, but people do listen to her when she say something.

But she is shy to say 'the bad word' ... but she does want to help people try and understand living here ... that includes driving here.

What I can tell you about her thinking, and Thai thinking in general ... we (Farnags) think too much.

An example to use is that of the old Space Race anecdote.

In the space race, once you are in orbit, gravity is greatly reduced. Ink pens (then) relied solely on gravity to work. NASA spent a year and many million dollars and invented a pen that would write upsidedown.

The Russians used a pencil.

Take that attitude to driving. You don't rely solely on the written laws of the road as you would back in your home country ... you take a practical approach. If the vehicle in front of you is significantly larger ... you give way ... that simple ... don't think too much ... use a pencil.

There are laws for driving on the roads ... just that some aren’t written down ... they are observational.

Use your eyes and learn them, it will make your driving here in Thailand a much more enjoyable experience ... biggrin.png

Yes we think too much where do you think progress comes from. Just think about all the things invented for space that now have practical use. Thinking too much actually makes money for quite a few people. Innovation is not a bad thing. But if the only thing was that pen then your right the pencil would be better. But i am sure there were a lot of spinoffs from that idea.

I think that you are both saying the same thing.

You (the driver already on the roundabout) also don't give way to traffic entering a round about (driver not yet on the roundabout)

Should have added to my list, 'or am I misunderstanding the statement'. biggrin.png

Unless there is this sign.........

DSC01689a.JPG

To the OP.........the common rule is that the one who is first a a junction will go first.

The reason that most drivers take a turn very slowly, is the simple fact, that if they get hit they are almost never at fault.

Same reason for changing lanes, taking U-turns, parking back-wards and any other special activity on the road.

Deaths per 100.000

inhabitants vehicules

Thailand 19.6 118.8

Netherlands 4.1 7

United Kingdom 3.59 7

United States of America 12.3 15

Does show the US doing poorly

But 2/3rds of those deaths in Thailand are motorcyclists - they don't count.

Even if you think like that then still 39 per 100.000 vehicles still stands out a lot compared to the other countries. Its a fact people drive dangerous here everyone trying do deny it is crazy. There are good Thai drivers there is just a larger percentage of idiots then in other countries.

It has to do with enforcement education and stupidity, times i got a heart attack because some construction pilons appeared from no where without prior warning are countless. Also roads are of course not thought about as much as in the West.

I know how bad some of the driving can be here, I haven't driven a car here for 2 years now due to that I just don't need one.

But some of the driving I witness in my estate on a daily basis is ridiculous

School buses full of children driving on the wrong side of the road at the approach to a roundabaout because they want to turn right and can't be bothered with the extra second or two it will take to drive around it.

There is also a wide 2-way road (enough space for 4 lanes) in my estate with an off-centre security office in the middle. One side of the road has a chicane going around it.

Not so long ago they put an extra speedbump in on the approach because a woman that had been praying all day fell asleep in her Volvo, mounted the foot high curb, ploughed through the small garden and smashed into the security office killing the security guard in there.

Anyway, they also tried adding posts in the middle of the road because many drivers decide they don't want to slow down for the speedbump and instead go around it on the wrongside of the road also avoiding the chicane. A couple of weeks back a motorbike did this and hit a taxi that was doing a U-turn behind the security office.

Edited by c411um

Just goes to show you too don't know the Thai traffic rules.

Hahaha I can't wait for MsFarmGirl's reply to this one..

Someone pass me the popcorn!

I hear you ... but I think it will be a long wait.

For those who don't know, MissFarmGirl is my other half, she is Thai. I had to twist her arm to start and she rarely does, but people do listen to her when she say something.

But she is shy to say 'the bad word' ... but she does want to help people try and understand living here ... that includes driving here.

What I can tell you about her thinking, and Thai thinking in general ... we (Farnags) think too much.

An example to use is that of the old Space Race anecdote.

In the space race, once you are in orbit, gravity is greatly reduced. Ink pens (then) relied solely on gravity to work. NASA spent a year and many million dollars and invented a pen that would write upsidedown.

The Russians used a pencil.

Take that attitude to driving. You don't rely solely on the written laws of the road as you would back in your home country ... you take a practical approach. If the vehicle in front of you is significantly larger ... you give way ... that simple ... don't think too much ... use a pencil.

There are laws for driving on the roads ... just that some aren’t written down ... they are observational.

Use your eyes and learn them, it will make your driving here in Thailand a much more enjoyable experience ... biggrin.png

Yes I often overtake slow moving vehicles even though there are cars coming the otherway, I flash my lights like crazy but " im coming thru", works great..................right up to the time I have a head on collision and am killed outright. Pens and pencils generally dont kill, ^ooking big cars trucks and buses do.

I know how bad some of the driving can be here, I haven't driven a car here for 2 years now due to that I just don't need one.

But some of the driving I witness in my estate on a daily basis is ridiculous

School buses full of children driving on the wrong side of the road at the approach to a roundabaout because they want to turn right and can't be bothered with the extra second or two it will take to drive around it.

There is also a wide 2-way road (enough space for 4 lanes) in my estate with an off-centre security office in the middle. One side of the road has a chicane going around it.

Not so long ago they put an extra speedbump in on the approach because a woman that had been praying all day fell asleep in her Volvo, mounted the foot high curb, ploughed through the small garden and smashed into the security office killing the security guard in there.

Anyway, they also tried adding posts in the middle of the road because many drivers decide they don't want to slow down for the speedbump and instead go around it on the wrongside of the road also avoiding the chicane. A couple of weeks back a motorbike did this and hit a taxi that was doing a U-turn behind the security office.

yep they sure are the laziest drivers i have ever seen which is ok when they kill themselves but not ok when they try to kill me.

While that maybe sensible due to the appalling standard of the vast majority of Thais driving , it is not correct. The truck will be liable in a crash. You can not just pull out because you think you can. Get first class insurance and let the insurance guy deal with it. Not the Police or the Thai.

If driving is not difficult here then why does the country have one of the highest rates of crashes in the world ?

The driving test here is a joke and it shows time and time again. Unfortunately the majority of Thais seem to turn into complete selfish ********* when they get behind the wheel of a car. Whether it is selfishness or the complete lack of driver education, who knows.

Nothing will change them until they crash and learn from it and have to pay or the police do their job.

Simply here you have to really put up with it and drive very defensively. Assume they are either drunk ( so many here especially men don't think drunk driving is wrong), stupid, have minimal driver education (they all do), new to driving as so many are with the first car scheme since which the driving standard has got even worse or just plain selfish. Unfortunately at least 50% of Thais drivers/riders I encounter on the roads fit at least one or more of those catorgories.

• Like 1

Only if it is clear and safe to do so. Most seem to ignore the clear and safe part. Again you will be liable in a crash.