What Would You Do With An Unexpected Fortune?

Jezz

I would spend it all to alleviate the suffering of sick buffaloes. The Payboy Foundation has a nice ring to it. rolleyes.gif

I thought you want to become Pope???? You should invest it into the Catholic church then... cheesy.gif

Heyyyy, you got it all wrong. The catholic church is the most likely source of my unexpected fortune. :rolleyes:

Sorry to add this but, if people knew you would soon find out who your friends are. Win a fortune and go in the bar two days later. Buy everyone a drink and you're the A-hole flashing your money, buy yourself a drink and you're the tight A-ss with millions in the bank who won't buy a round.

No win situation.

You have to go somewhere where nobody knows you and keep Sthume.

I would divide it into 4.

1/4 for me, 1/4 for my wife, 1/4 for our son and 1/4 for the house, general account etc.

When I die the remainder of my money will go to our son and my wife gets the balance from the house.

Extend the house a bit, buy a 7 seat MPV, get our 11 year old Ford Ranger stripped and rebuilt and then sell it to my brother in law for maybe 10k baht.

I would take my wife and son back to the UK to show them where I came from and to see my son and the grandson I have never seen and possibly visit my ex wife to show her my wife and son just for a laugh.

As long as the money lasts I would tame my wife and son to different places in the world for an experience.

• Like 1

For most of us middle class types we've never had to think about how to spend loads of money. So it wouldn't be a walk in the park to change a lifetime of living in a certain manner.

To live without debt would be nice. To plan a holiday and not look at the cheapest fare & cheaper range of accomodation would be nice. To travel overseas to places just for the hell of it because it looked nice on TV would be nice. To travel to countries in their best season, and to get away from your own country when it's too hot, too humid or too wet would be nice.

Personally I'd set myself up with deposits to generate a regular income. Take care of all family member needs well into the future. Set up educational scholarships for those students who genuinely work hard but are held back by poverty and their surroundings.

Good food and wine (without being worried about the price), cook less & eat out more, a full time housekeeper, some debauchery, and whatever travel takes my fancy sounds like a good way of spending some of the money.

But I'd still never buy property in Thailand.

I'd want to be philanthropic and donate it to the Thaivisa Home for the Hopelessly Confused....

Tommo could upgrade to new wives (though I suspect this is more a gift to the previous ones, rather than to Tommo....wink.png ), Semper could get help for his unnecessarily long and complex posts, and the REALLY poor folk like theblether and Smokie would never ever have to slum it again for all those hours and hour they have to spend in the misery of business class ... tongue.png .

Sorry, David48 and your countryfolk, but nothing for you, mate....serves you right for banging on about the strengnth of th Oz economy. Lastly, I was hoping for a miracle for Jingthing, but the OP stated only A fortune... I think it'd take a wee bit more than that..............whistling.gif

• Like 1

How big are we talking here?

Is it winning the Thai Lottery (1m US range), the UK lottery (5-10m US), or the Euro millions (30m+++)

First one is probably clear the mortgage and credit cards, invest some and have a nice holiday, but probably carry on working.

Second one is retire and get my dream home built, probably back in the UK (partly because I think my kids will end up living in the UK and partly because if I was retired full-time I'd want better quality TV channels than I get from True). Admittedly Sky can be picked up, with a big enough dish, as far away as Cyprus apparently, so it wouldn't have to be the UK. The wife would have to get used to dootv though...

The third one... I honestly don't know... You could get a place in Hawaii, the beach house in Malibu, or the motor yacht moored in Monte Carlo. Tough choices.

Wealth may not bring happiness, but unless you're living with a lost tribe in the Amazon, it's probably easier to be happy with money than without it.