Driver In British Cyclists' Fatal Road Accident Released On Bail

Lite Beer

Driver in British cyclists' fatal road accident released on bail

By Digital Media

CHACHOENGSAO, Feb 18 - Police said here on Monday the driver of a pickup truck who allegedly hit a British couple while they were on a world tour cycling in Chachoengsao newsjslast Wednesday has been released on bail and will face a charge of dangerous driving leading to the death of others.

Peter Root and Mary Thompson, both 34, were killed when hit by the pickup truck while cycling on the Route 304 Phnom Sarakam-Kabinburi Road in this eastern province.

Police Lt-Col Supachai Loangsukcharoen said the bodies of the couple are being kept at a charity association in the province pending their family's collection. The British embassy has contacted the local authorities to bring their bodies back to the UK.

Col Supachai said driver Worapong Sangkhawat, 25, who was seriously injured in the crash, has been released on bail after posting Bt300,000 bail bond.

A police investigation team are collecting evidence to charge him for dangerous driving leading to others' death. If found guilty, he could face a maximum penalty of 10 years in jail.

The Guernsey couple set off on a round-the-world adventure in July 2011 and had cycled through Europe, the Middle East and China.

The British newspaper the Telegraph quoted a British Foreign Office spokesperson as saying that "We are aware of the deaths of two British nationals in Thailand on February 13 and we are providing consular assistance."

On their website, Two on Four Wheels, the couple posted a travel journal, photographs and short films from the 23 countries they had visited. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-02-18

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From another report: "... the 25-year-old Thai driver, who was arrested at the scene on Wednesday, had reached down to pick up his hat from the floor of the truck causing the vehicle to swerve into the couple."

Cretin.

A hat is such an urgent necessity when driving a car. w00t.gif

Hope he was also wearing long pants as that is also a very important issue when getting a licence.

• Like 1

The problem in riding a bicycle among the motorized traffic is that things happen so fast that you have no time to get out of the way. A serious bicycle accident in the USA between myself and a distracted Ford F-150 pickup truck driver convinced me of that.

it's cautionary tale. I love living in CM for the most part and I love bicycling.

The trick is to not get delusional about the risks of being on the Thai roads.

Live to ride another day. I resist the urge to buy a road bicycle. Keep to small soi's and sidewalks in dangerous areas. Ride surgically calculated routes to get out in the country and mountains where the riding is blissfully nice.

The pickup driver clearly is at fault but the Brits had been taking a lot of risks and after some of the dangers they faced in the XYZ -Stan countries I think they became numb to risk assessment and perhaps overestimated their luck.

Let's all learn from their demise and strive to avoid becoming road kill.

I

so if I understand well an English guys cannot go back to his home because for some pretended broken furniture and this Thai driver who killed 2 tourists get released on bail .???????????

when justice shows up its better to be Thais here . This guy will never have 10 years in jail , he will NEVER get any problems ....

Yes - you just about some it up. Many Thai laws are purposely written vaguely so that the "officers" can exercise their wise judgement. Even if you speak,read and write Thai fluently you're still only a Farang in the eyes of the law and no one will complain if you're treated less than a citizen.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Worapong Sangkhawat had his blood alcohol levels checked? A high percentage of the accidents I have seen in Thailand have been caused by alcohol related negligence. Worapong could have been reaching for a hat or maybe reaching down for the whiskey bottle for another swig . . .

There's a companion thread today about the Thai couple accused of torturing the Karen girl they had kidnapped having disappeared and missed their police summons after having been released on bail.

Now we have a Thai driver accused of running down and killing two Brit bicyclists being released on bail.

Why in the world does the Thai legal system routinely release on bail people accused of killing others???

I'm not saying bail should never be granted in fatality cases. But the system for deciding such things is clearly broken, given the tendency of suspects in such cases here to disappear upon release.

• Like 1

On parts of Sukumvit Road (or any road) I seek the safety of the sidewalk if I feel the traffic is too fast and potentially dangerous.

Did I misunderstand that?!

You have absolutely no right to put pedestrians at risk merely to indulge your hobby!

Stay on the road or leave the bicycle at home.

Patrick

Firstly, the sidewalks (footpaths) of Sukumvit Road I had in mind, as are many other of the sidewalks along Sukumvit Road are marked with a bicycle lane. Not that this has anything to do necessarily with bicyclist or pedestrian safety. I see these sidewalk bicycle lanes as a lame attempt by the BMA to support bicycles and a very poor alternative to dedicated bicycle lanes on the street.

Secondly, I did not I state that I rode the bicycle on the sidewalk, did I? I actually do, when it is safe for me and the pedestrians. With me, all other vehicles and pedestrians always have the right-of-way. I have never hit or injured a pedestrian either on the road or a sidewalk; I usually avoid sidewalks because it irritates pedestrians, has its own risks and increases my travel time. I am extremely careful in this regard because I don't want to injure them, me or, most of all, my bicycle. biggrin.png

Thirdly, my bicycling in Bangkok is not a 'hobby' or a recreation. It is my primary mode of transportation. If more people used bicycles the Bangkok pollution, heat and traffic congestion would be less.

Fourthly, I very much appreciate your recommendation with regard to my bicycling. How many years have you been bicycling in central Bangkok?

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 2

There are areas of Thailand that are great for cycling. This is a newly built 100km+ road coastal in Chanthaburi.

DSCN26691-300x214.jpg

I see more cyclist around here than anywhere else in Thailand.

Many overnight at the free legal camp sites right next to the beach.

DSCN2595-300x214.jpg

They actually have signs for the riders, like sharp left bend ahead !!!

DSCN2672-300x214.jpg

http://bicyclethaila...antaburi-coast/

13478891-bicycle-road-chanthaburi-thailand.jpg

AMAZING....!!! I don't believe it???!? THIS is in THAILAND???

There are areas of Thailand that are great for cycling. This is a newly built 100km+ road coastal in Chanthaburi.

DSCN26691-300x214.jpg

I see more cyclist around here than anywhere else in Thailand.

Many overnight at the free legal camp sites right next to the beach.

DSCN2595-300x214.jpg

They actually have signs for the riders, like sharp left bend ahead !!!

DSCN2672-300x214.jpg

http://bicyclethaila...antaburi-coast/

13478891-bicycle-road-chanthaburi-thailand.jpg

AMAZING....!!! I don't believe it???!? THIS is in THAILAND???

Photoshopped tourist brochure?

I felt both saddened and angered by the loss of these two bicyclists. However, after researching the 304 highway in the reported area of the accident, I came to the conclusion that the two had placed themselves into a high-risk situation by attempting to travel on the shoulder of a relatively high-speed 4-lane, divided highway. In my country, traveling on the shoulder of such a highway would have been illegal in any type of vehicle. In Thailand, I've seen motorbikes traveling on the shoulder at relatively low speeds as well. Highway shoulders are intended for emergency situations and not for extended traveling. An experienced and knowledgeable driver knows that just stopping on such a shoulder for any reason and for even a short period of time is extremely hazardous.

Maybe in your country (and mine) but not in Thailand. The shoulders here are always used by motorcycles as it's the safest place for them on the highways. They are also used by vehicles travelling in the wrong direction but that's a different story. Emergencies? No, just leave the car where it regardless of how much traffic congestion is caused.

I know this road pretty well (though the exact location of the accident has not been divulged yet as far as I have seen). It is part of the main route from Aranyapratet to Bangkok and it's not easy to stick to quieter roads. And are the rural routes any better, with drivers speeding, overtaking on blind bends etc. etc.

So, in short, I don't think the cyclists did anything wrong and the blame falls entirely upon the pick-up driver.

My girlfriend insists that the hard shoulders in Thailand are nothing more than motorbike 'lanes' and that motorbikes should remain in them as much as possible. How many Thais believe this? Maybe she is right? Thais have the uncanny ability to twist and get everything wrong! (The Thai Highway Code is in Thai so cannot verify this). But if this is the case the hard shoulder should provide cyclists and motorcyclists more safety than if it were treated by driver's as a lane only to be entered in emergency, i.e., drivers expect to see it used by motorbikes, and anything else that moves in Thailand! and therefore we wary of drifting into it.

I dont think there is anything wrong with cycling on a footpath/paved pedestrian area for safety or leisure as long as u ride slow enough to give way completely to all pedestrians so as not to endanger, intimidate, or frighten them. If it is so congested that this is not posible then I dismount and push my bike.

...............A very tragic accident, and my heart goes out to all those friends and loved ones that they have left behind.

• Like 1