Warn Tourists About Thai Driving Habits, Expert Says

webfact

Just got back from dinner with some friends, all of them Thai. Some just got back from pattaya. My friends complained nonstop about the Thai drivers in pattaya for about 15 minutes. Comments such as "a stop sign is just a recommendation to those guys!" and "right of way means who has the most expensive car", and " the lane markers are just an FYI to those pattaya drivers"

As I listened to them talk, all i could think was,

now i have to convince my Thai buddies not to bash the their own drivers?blink.png

I give up! wai.gif

really ? Thais strting to discuss the drivin habits of their fellow Thais, this could be the revolving revolutionary effect. Hopefully it will effect into road-motorist-education. Let's talk about it again in 2113. In a hunnerd years to come. nothing will change.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have often said driving in LOS is a nightmare. Just a couple of days ago I was 'recruited' to take hypochondriac mother-in-law to local hospital at Nong Wa Saw. Canceled lunch with farang friends. Turning into the ville, a dump truck in the fast lane only going about 30 Kph (supposed to be in slow, other lane) customized my 3 month old Chevy Z71. He claimed my fault because he could not stop in time, ugh, ahhh, urrrgh. My wife's ville, he looses, maybe, if his insurance actually pays. His ville, I probably loose. I was guppied into being ambulance for ting tong mother-in-law to Nong Bui Lam Phu, oh what a fun trip. Next day, no family member would go pick her up, you get the point, I did. I made a left turn at a no right turn light, from the left lane. No, No, No. Police very happy when he see farang inside. Says here is ticket, takes Thai drivers license and says follow me to cop shop. Luckily my wife standing outside hospital waiting as I drive up, gets in truck and we proceed to cop shop. She takes 500 baht from me at cop shop, says sow wow, stay in truck and goes inside. They wanted to arrest, 1000 baht etc. she told them where to get off, mother sick mak, mak, etc. and to keep the dam_n license. They got 300 baht. This was a farang scam. That being what is was, and a first time after several pleasant encounters at roadblocks etc. it still left a bitter taste. I used to love to drive in the states, and I can drive, drove many hot rods, latest was an '02 Camaro SS before I retired and moved fulltime. I hate driving in this country. Motorbikes and trucks with no lights, cut across your lane, turn in your lane, oh a flash of lights means I'm bigger than you therefore I have confiscated your lane to pass and you better get out of my way, etc., etc. it never ends. My wife just smiles and says "Thai people", my reply is dead people in the states. I realize that they have their own rhythm and yes we are different and don't adapt well. That still doesn't change the fact that most of them have no business even being on a back country road, walking, much less driving. Did I say driving in this country is a nightmare?

And for you that want to say if you don't like it go back to your own country, I've got something for you too. This is my home and I first came to SE Asia in 1966. You can take the unsaid rest however you want, up to you.

When in Rome, behave like the Romans. According to your rant, you must still be an all-american bloke , despite living in southeast Asia for said time. If you haven't made a few steps to assimilate to your environment since you moved, ya got all my pittance. I doubt if you have ever arrived here with your heart under full conscience.

A pittance, your rant. Even if I would agree with some of it.

Like I said, up to you, I'm no bloke, you have no idea how much I hate what the coporate police state of amerika has become. I'll be here when you are long gone. Yes, Thai driving drives me ba, but I do understand and have understood for a long time. I do the best I can to adapt to it. I'm not Thai, never will be Thai and if I could speak Thai/Issan/Lao better than Thai's, know more Thai history, culture etc., etc. I will never be Thai. Wake up and smell the buffalo dung, you won't be either. I'm a realist, I love my wife, her crazy mother and the rest of them family, but.................. that doesn't make them always right just as I'm not always right. If you have a real problem, I'll be glad to 'discuss' it with you, cothai my?

• Like 1

Dear oh dear, so many people here who want to live in the third world but expect first world behaviour.

Get a grip chaps,

get a grip chaps ? did you actually read the OP ? have you gotten a grip that most people posting here understand the dangers - this,is a discussion - like conversation - about the OP and a possible expanding on that with some thoughts of our own, there is no room here for any attacks on persons posting here - perhaps you can offer a few ideas and contribute to the conversation - or else just leave it

• Like 1

A shame on the Ministry of Transport or whatever they call themselves,warn the Tourists about Thai Driving Habits.

When they should be teaching Thais how to drive more safely, a disgraceful example of pass the fault on to the Victim.

That is a warped judgement. i think it is safe to say that the stats speak for themselves. It is statistically dam_n dangerous out there. Remember everything you learnt overseas and stick to it. Then learn what happens commonly which is so dangerous.

Expect the bus on the blind corner, expect the bike coming the wrong way, expect the tak tak tractor to come out of the junction, expect the bus to making a u turn in the wrong place, expect, expect, expect.

Driving long distances here can be extremely stressful if you try to keep your wits about you all the time. It really is extremely tiring.

The worst I ever had was in driving rain on the Bangkok Chonburi road, at twighlight. The inside and middle lanes were flooded. Coming over one of the hump back bridges, maybe doing 60km/h only to be faced with a car, with no hazard lights, that had decided to stop in the outside lane on the far side of the hump.

Now, expecting the unexpected, but what on earth would possess anyone to stop there?

really warped judgement ?

my 80,000km riding in Thailand plus my advanced driving qualifications from the UK plus my years of racing...... and you think I have a warped view ??

and what are your credentials may I ask that allows you to pass judgement on anyone on this thread ? Ill guess none - and btw you will notice I'm not judging you merely asking questions, there's a difference that few here understand

I have driven and ridden motorbikes in most countries...

The driving here in Phuket is the worst and most dangerous in the entire world.

I've ridden from Pattaya to Phuket on my bike (which has nothing to do with what I'm going to say)

Take a trip to Cambodia and post back what you think - I'm not sure you have experienced enough in Asia or Africa to qualify as Most countries - please clarify

I've seen some stupid behavior here but I've also seen some very good driving - when you're on a bike you notice stuff - most of the shit driving I've seen here has not been Thai - go figure

and I'm not talking about around the city (that's the exeption) - I'm talking about outside on main roads - I find Thais remarkably observent about their surroundings - I'm on a bike on the outside lane and they know I'm there and will generally make room for me to pass - pretty sure some other big bike riders have experienced this - pretty tolerant and thumbs up to them (which I do) and get a beep on the horn back, but then I'm not riding a Honda click

This aimed at the majority and not everybody.....

All over the world, drivers are the same.....they drink and drive (UK and Europe too), smoke joints (UK and Europe too), play with mobiles (UK and Europe too), put make-up on (UK and Europe too) look at their passengers while talking (This really pisses me off)...I've seen it all!! The Farang come here with their agressive atitude thinking they are the best drivers in the world....well news for you...you are not! I've seen more wobbly, never rode a bike in their life Farang, here than in any other country I have been to, and I've been to many!

Furthermore, the Thais don't get upset when someone make an honest mistake, they avoid the potential accident and drive on. That's what I have witnesed so far in my 2 years here. The farang hoot their horns, shout, and just want to cause a bigger problem (Unless the driver in front is bigger than them) :-)

Just drive careful, keep your eyes on the road and mirrors, and don't drink! And main point....learn to drive a bike before you get here.

And that's my 2 cents :-)

It's tempting to believe you (as the idea that everyone is the same and no one is better or worse in any way than anyone else is darn cute), but all empirical and statistical evidence suggest otherwise. But don't let that get in the way of your delusional musings. You mean well and your ideas are certainly entertaining in a fantastical sort of way.

I've seen some stupid behavior here but I've also seen some very good driving - when you're on a bike you notice stuff - most of the shit driving I've seen here has not been Thai - go figure

and I'm not talking about around the city (that's the exeption) - I'm talking about outside on main roads - I find Thais remarkably observent about their surroundings - I'm on a bike on the outside lane and they know I'm there and will generally make room for me to pass - pretty sure some other big bike riders have experienced this - pretty tolerant and thumbs up to them (which I do) and get a beep on the horn back, but then I'm not riding a Honda click

Your right mate I ride a bike and not of the motor variety and I find in the small town where I live people are very good.

Given the number of vehicles on the roads it looks to me when I get around (in buses where I have plenty of time to look) that the driving isnt too bad and the number of prangs not out of the ordinary.

Of course I havent had the pleasure of driving in the US, UK or Europe where I am sure all the drivers are perfect.

Just got back from dinner with some friends, all of them Thai. Some just got back from pattaya. My friends complained nonstop about the Thai drivers in pattaya for about 15 minutes. Comments such as "a stop sign is just a recommendation to those guys!" and "right of way means who has the most expensive car", and " the lane markers are just an FYI to those pattaya drivers"

now i have to convince my Thai buddies not to bash the their own drivers?blink.png

I give up! wai.gif

really ? Thais strting to discuss the drivin habits of their fellow Thais, this could be the revolving revolutionary effect. Hopefully it will effect into road-motorist-education. Let's talk about it again in 2113. In a hunnerd years to come. nothing will change.

I'm sorry but dont expect too much change. My friends are typical Thai. All are university grads from US, Australia, or NZ. And my friends consider me "Thai", so they speak freely around me.

Which brings me to the point i was hoping to make. The fundamental problem i see is the basic education level of Thailand. politics is dummied down to a 6th grade level (or 7th or 8th or what ever it is). The general population is susceptible to political steering with relative ease. People drive like they have a 6th grade education, because, well they only have a 6th grade education.

Want better drivers? improve the basic education level of thailand.

Tired of the sophomoric Thai political statements? improve the basic education level of thailand

But be careful of what you wish for. a more educated population will most likely realize they want to be paid more. and there goes your 30bhat noddles.

• Like 1

The driving standards here in Sleepy Lampang have really gone down the pan in the past year.So many new cars and Bikes, no one follows any rules. New Macro,Central plaza,Tesco etc and all with poor access/slip roads. People coming out of Tesco, trying to slip in to the Plaza side of the road, and vice versa.Every one on a F****g mobile phone. The black solar glass does not help, you just cannot see a drivers intentions. I started driving at 10 years old (1953) driven just about every where. I'm beginning to hate it now, no pleasure in driving in Thailand any more. idiots.

My joke about Thai motorbikers:

Q: Why don't Thai motorbikers wear helmets?

A: They can't use their mobile phone!

Saw five on a motorbike yesterday (not that it's that unusual) including a toddler that couldn't have been more than a few months old being held by one of the riders. What did Darwin say again?

Edited by MaxYakov

That is a warped judgement. i think it is safe to say that the stats speak for themselves. It is statistically dam_n dangerous out there. Remember everything you learnt overseas and stick to it. Then learn what happens commonly which is so dangerous.

Expect the bus on the blind corner, expect the bike coming the wrong way, expect the tak tak tractor to come out of the junction, expect the bus to making a u turn in the wrong place, expect, expect, expect.

Driving long distances here can be extremely stressful if you try to keep your wits about you all the time. It really is extremely tiring.

The worst I ever had was in driving rain on the Bangkok Chonburi road, at twighlight. The inside and middle lanes were flooded. Coming over one of the hump back bridges, maybe doing 60km/h only to be faced with a car, with no hazard lights, that had decided to stop in the outside lane on the far side of the hump.

Now, expecting the unexpected, but what on earth would possess anyone to stop there?

really warped judgement ?

my 80,000km riding in Thailand plus my advanced driving qualifications from the UK plus my years of racing...... and you think I have a warped view ??

and what are your credentials may I ask that allows you to pass judgement on anyone on this thread ? Ill guess none - and btw you will notice I'm not judging you merely asking questions, there's a difference that few here understand

If you read the answer, it comes in response to a statement that because one concentrates more, in a warped way it may be safer in Thailand.

So, using the language from the message to start the answer. You have a problem with that?

Loosely translated it says.

Thai's have no idea how to drive,and should never have been let loose near anything with an engine and wheels.

We drive on the wrong side of the road because we are too lazy to travel 20 meters on the right side of the road to turn right.

We never give way to anyone or anything as this would mean loosing our stupid face even if it means causing an accident .

We only overtake on blind bends never on straight stretches of road.

We either drive like maniacs at brake neck speed or at 10 klms an hour.

We have no width perception at all so we need at least a gap 5 meters wide.

We usually sh-t ourselves and have to flee the scene of the accident we have just caused because we are generally a bunch of cowards.

Traffic lights are for people with brains.Red light means Go

No doubt this list can be added to.

Belting down unlit roads with just a lamp strapped to the forehead, because the bike has no working lights.

• Like 1

How about teaching the Thai people what their indicator is for, why it is dangerous to drive on the wrong side of the road, how to switch on their lights, not to carry more than 1 passenger on a bike, how to make a right turn off a main road, when making a left turn look to see if any traffic is heading towards them, when they see someone ahead indicating right do not overtake on the outside, etc,etc,etc

• Like 1

Saw a doozy early this morning in the dark on the highway. I left for a 2 hour drive between two major regional cities at 5:30am. About 5:45, on the highway, pitch black, cruising along in the fast lane luckily (though not speeding), this huge semi truck big rig (tandem, dual trailer) appeared out of nowhere in the left lane. Not a single light on the vehicle, nothing from stem to stern - no reflectors of any kind, no reflective tape on the fenders or anywhere. Just a huge black blob.

I can't say my life flashed before my eyes, but I did have a flight of fancy - I imagined I was Captain Jack Sparrow navigating around the pirates of the Caribbean Ghost ship on its prowl to devour yet another victim. It was surreal.

I was lucky. the next guy may have plowed right into the back of that idiot.

Edited by keemapoot

Isn;t it amazing after 10 pages still we get the same stuff we had after 3.

many posters only look at the last page, not bothering to read good pages earlier, like sheep are some only answering what they see (like the last post) or only post to people that they know--like a clan. Rarely do you see a post replied to from an earlier page, must be laziness to look,

Nothing is written any different from after the 1st 4 pages, That it's up to ENFORCEMENT TESTING LICENCING REGISTRATION ABILITY --Bring in L plates for learners, Parental penalties for allowing under age kids on m/cycles.

My personal belief goes back yonks-- it's about caring for other peoples welfare, animals, etc parents seem to forget about respect-teaching.

The last sentance " Thaweesak said Thai people should ALSO improve their driving, what an ffffing joke. One of the most STUPID I have heard in a long time.....WARN tourists about Thai driving habits, another FFFing joke---

It should read--Please take extra care if you drive in Thailand as it is very dangerous. Driving tuition here is near non existant, like Air Asia slogan---anyone can fly------The roads here -slogan Anyone can drive.

I remember when I learned to drive (60s) you where told to think that all the other people driving where idiots so be careful good advice which has kept me safe so far

We are in the land of driving idiots so be extra careful

I taught both my kids to drive over the past few years (the system here now requires that learners receive one hundred hours of logged instruction prior to testing) and instructed them that, whilst they know what their own next move will be, they should ALWAYS assume the other driver is going to do something unexpected.

It's good that the LAW says trainee drivers should have 100 hrs of instruction, but how many observe this?

BTW: where the hell are the "P" plates?? Why don't they use them?

last month I had every intention to do a Thai D/L. After realised that it would take me 3 working days to obtain a license, I was turned off completely.

On the first day, you will have to go to the course which involves how to drive, road rules, etc. The second day is to sit for a practice test. Then comes the last day for physical road test. All these must be on different days, i.e. no fast track on the same day.

Then I thought if they are really serious about good, safe drivers so why there are so many deaths in Thailand roads.

The Thai Tourist Council representative has given a most insensative response to the death of the two British cyclists, her statement does nothing to promote tourisim and offers no intention of attemping to improve the driving standards in Thailand.

We all come to Thailand to enjoy Thailand as it is, however if our driving training stems from the UK then we know that the driving standards in Thailand leave a lot to be desired but we should also remember that in many European countries the standard of driving is not that good.

As guests in Thailand we can try to help the situation by driving as safely as possible and maybe suggest on forums such as this one ways of improving road safety, for example we all know the safety of wearing seatbelts, I won't drive unless all my passengers put on the seat belt.

As visitors to Thailand we have to adapt ourselves to suit the situation here, so for what its worth and from my own experience of driving in Thailand for five years my advice to anyone coming to Thailand is to never get on or ride a cycle or motorcycle always drive on the defensive, liberale use of the horn to announce your presence, never get angry and be sure to adopt the correct use of headlamp flashing.

cliffvfr

wai.gif

• Like 1

The Thai Tourist Council representative has given a most insensative response to the death of the two British cyclists, her statement does nothing to promote tourisim and offers no intention of attemping to improve the driving standards in Thailand.

We all come to Thailand to enjoy Thailand as it is, however if our driving training stems from the UK then we know that the driving standards in Thailand leave a lot to be desired but we should also remember that in many European countries the standard of driving is not that good.

As guests in Thailand we can try to help the situation by driving as safely as possible and maybe suggest on forums such as this one ways of improving road safety, for example we all know the safety of wearing seatbelts, I won't drive unless all my passengers put on the seat belt.

As visitors to Thailand we have to adapt ourselves to suit the situation here, so for what its worth and from my own experience of driving in Thailand for five years my advice to anyone coming to Thailand is to never get on or ride a cycle or motorcycle always drive on the defensive, liberale use of the horn to announce your presence, never get angry and be sure to adopt the correct use of headlamp flashing.

cliffvfr

wai.gif

You will not change the ''mindset'' of the natives regarding road use. Thais think about stuff totally different to us farangs.

As for using the horn, hmmmmm, think one must remember that to a native it is an ''insult'' and if unlucky could bring a lot of trouble round your ears. Though l use it sometimes, to the dismay of my Thai mrs, but l don't care. smile.png

• Like 2

cliffvfr

wai.gif

You will not change the ''mindset'' of the natives regarding road use. Thais think about stuff totally different to us farangs.

As for using the horn, hmmmmm, think one must remember that to a native it is an ''insult'' and if unlucky could bring a lot of trouble round your ears. Though l use it sometimes, to the dismay of my Thai mrs, but l don't care. smile.png

I drive with my thumb over the horn, and I know a few Thai drivers who do the same, just to let motor cyclists know you are there and are about to pass. Just a toot, the full blast is for the idiots.

• Like 2

cliffvfr

wai.gif

I drive with my thumb over the horn, and I know a few Thai drivers who do the same, just to let motor cyclists know you are there and are about to pass. Just a toot, the full blast is for the idiots.

Actually, that's and interesting cultural difference between Southern Thailand, and the rest of Thailand as I've seen. In the south, they use the horn extensively, sometimes nonstop around corners etc., in order to warn other drivers - it is not done in an aggressive way. However, in Central, NE, and I assume North, drivers seem to take offense to using the horn, and rarely do use it.

• Like 2

cliffvfr

wai.gif

Same here. It almost always makes them realise that they are not the only ones on the road. I gave a toot to a copper this morning who was letting his bike drift right across from his lane right in front of me.

I've visited Thailand for extended periods on vacation many times over the past 6 years. Here's my tips on staying alive -

#1 - Demand seat belts in the taxis. Do not use a taxi without seat belts available. Simply waive them on and let them know why you're are refusing their service. They catch on eventually.

#2 - Find a reliable, regular driver that you can call and require them to go the speed limit, and if they don't fire them. I let our regular driver know that if he speeds or does anything stupid that he will be fired and no more future business. It works. He's an excellent, defense driver while we are in the car.

#3 - Do not ride a motor scooter or bicycle except in the quietest of locations without the idiot Thai drivers on the road.

There you go. Three easy steps clap2.gif

" many foreigners injured in traffic accidents thought all Thai motorists must stop at a red light, but when they did that they had a collision."

Who would have thought itsad.png .

Red Light.... It does not mean anything in Traffic laws....... in the sex trade yes.....Police are only at these traffic lights to collect money. New signs in Pigeon English says "Turn Left waiting light" what that is supposed to mean is a question only a Thai can explain to himself. Does it mean Turn left on Green? or does it mean Turn left after a brief halt at the lights`? Well you occassionally have a policemen who is there to tell you nothing more than what the board says - nothing! If Thailand, Amazing Thailand is going to be a tourist destination then it also has to make things clear in what ever language they wish to communicate..... Thai is not a help to the tourist! and a ticket by a policemen is an insult on their intelligence as well....since the sign simply does not communicate! It means nothing to those who speak English and to those who try it is only a guessing point. Even the police mutters nothing.... he only knows to give a ticket to the Farang who wants to know and for those who are long enough here to know they want money....save your breath.

Check these places out on your trip of Amazing Thailand

Intersection at MBK, There is a sign in Thai..... not clear that says you cannot turn right onto sukhumvit.... waiting like hawks police, stopping those, mostly farangs, to do their collection. Cameras Ready!!!! Eight officers standing around.... it would be worth putting an officer in the lane preventing it or a sign that clearly says no right turn for Private cars or busses.

The Highway exit that comes down near Nana, The police wait there and stop to collect - Cameras ready!!!

Corruption in the police force, no need for correction measures...simply send them back to planting rice and taking the buffalo for a walk.Thailand does not need these dozzers corrupting a system. How can they instill law and order....there is no order in them.

I give up! wai.gif

I'm sorry but dont expect too much change. My friends are typical Thai. All are university grads from US, Australia, or NZ. And my friends consider me "Thai", so they speak freely around me.

Which brings me to the point i was hoping to make. The fundamental problem i see is the basic education level of Thailand. politics is dummied down to a 6th grade level (or 7th or 8th or what ever it is). The general population is susceptible to political steering with relative ease. People drive like they have a 6th grade education, because, well they only have a 6th grade education.

Want better drivers? improve the basic education level of thailand.

Tired of the sophomoric Thai political statements? improve the basic education level of thailand

But be careful of what you wish for. a more educated population will most likely realize they want to be paid more. and there goes your 30bhat noddles.

You are correct in most of your statement. Like yourself I'm consider to one of them living here for so many years the big difference is that your friends have a much higher education level. I live and associate like you say with 6 grade level Thais and you should know that at that level especially if they have never been outside of Thailand, Thais don't sit well with being criticized.

Improving the education level is the right thing to do but that would take years, if not decades. So while that is happening the rate of accidents and death will continue! We are talking about driving and not rocket science? The biggest problem with their driving is that they have been condition to think that it is a right and not a privilege to drive. Many of these so call 6 grade education people can't even read enough to take the test instead pay to get their license and many as I know drive without one and when they get stopped by the police a 2 hundred baht tip gets them back on the road again as long as you are Thai. I have seen it happen right in front of me. I do know a few Thais that have driven me around thinking they had a license? they don't never went to school to get one like it doesn't matter!

Driving is common sense and a learn skilled that one can learn through proper training! I know I have every imaginable endorsement to train and drive commerical vehicles in the States for over 40 years. I have instructed a few Thais including my son as to why to do or not do something and it only has to be explained to them like a 6 grader. In the end no matter what you come up with and no matter how much education one gets like in the Western world you still need one main things and that is ENFORCEMENT! PLAIN AND SIMPLE! AND THAT MEANS CHANGING THE DRIVING SYSTEM AND STOPPING THE CORRUPTIONS!

But like you say! we don't want that... things would cost more and we wouldn't be able to live here!