The Result Of Rubbish

diddums

We see many thais still throw rubbish about carelessly...in fact it happens everywhere, less so in some countries though.

It is not just the blatant dumping of rubbish, it is the innocent spill of a garbage bin where its contents eventually end up washed down the drains to the oceans.

Watch this and maybe you might think again...just a little bit..

It is very sad, but our oceans have become one big sewer dump full of unnecessary plastics. Years ago the Thai people used to wrap things in biodegradable banana leaves. Today it's all plastic bags and plastic containers. Large oil companies are some of the worst offenders.

The bottom line is that everyone can make a little difference. Small things like refusing plastic bags in 7-11 (where they'll even put cigarettes in a bag <deleted>) can all add up in the long run.

The sad fact is though on an actual direct scale, there is not much we, as foreigners, can do. The number of times I've ticked some blighter off for dropping litter only to be met with the same old 'it's our country, not yours' bilge....

• Like 2

Horrifying and depressing, for our children and theirs. I have always said man's most dangerous invention was not splitting the atom, it was plastic.

But if you can't get a culture to change the way they drive, so as to not deform or kill their own babies, what hope is there for getting them to change the way they throw unwanted things away, so as not to harm something so far away it doesn't exist in their tiny minds?

• Like 2

It is very sad, but our oceans have become one big sewer dump full of unnecessary plastics. Years ago the Thai people used to wrap things in biodegradable banana leaves. Today it's all plastic bags and plastic containers. Large oil companies are some of the worst offenders.

Why are large oil companies some of the worst offenders ? Do they double bag groceries ??

How would you handle the inevitable breakdown of society if oil production were to stop tomorrow?

Everyone blames the Oil Industry for everything, yet without it we'd be back in the dark ages.

• Like 1

Why are large oil companies some of the worst offenders ? Do they double bag groceries ??

How would you handle the inevitable breakdown of society if oil production were to stop tomorrow?

Everyone blames the Oil Industry for everything, yet without it we'd be back in the dark ages.

The oil business it’s just like any other business.

After the product been sold responsibility is with the buyer.

Oil companies spending lots of Money on environment protection and nothing harmless going overboard, I understand if you are not your business this is hard to believe, off course incident and accide4nt happen.

And I agree this is very sad.

In my opinion it all comes down to a serious lack of rubbish bins in Thailand.I bought a bottle of water the other day,and after I'd drunk it,I couldn't find a rubbish bin anywhere to put the empty bottle in.Ended up bringing it home.It's about time the government did something about it.They could save money by not putting white lines and road signs on the roads anymore.Nobody pays any attention to the dam_n things anyway.The money they save there could be used to put rubbish bins around cities and towns.

Plastic is made from oil, and it's in the oil companies best interests to block research into viable cheap alternatives to oil.

The bottom line is that everyone can make a little difference. Small things like refusing plastic bags in 7-11 (where they'll even put cigarettes in a bag <deleted>) can all add up in the long run.

The sad fact is though on an actual direct scale, there is not much we, as foreigners, can do. The number of times I've ticked some blighter off for dropping litter only to be met with the same old 'it's our country, not yours' bilge....

Tell em its YOUR World and there's only one!!

Edited by rattler
  • Like 1

In my opinion it all comes down to a serious lack of rubbish bins in Thailand.I bought a bottle of water the other day,and after I'd drunk it,I couldn't find a rubbish bin anywhere to put the empty bottle in.Ended up bringing it home.It's about time the government did something about it.They could save money by not putting white lines and road signs on the roads anymore.Nobody pays any attention to the dam_n things anyway.The money they save there could be used to put rubbish bins around cities and towns.

In my opinion it comes down to ONE thing.............. they're bone idle

• Like 1

They're a cog in the machine. The underlying reason is capitalism, the profit motive. It overrides all other concerns, like for the environment.

Scare tactics, and blunt lies. It could be handled just fine. The oil industry provides the fewest jobs of all major segments of the economy, but is a huge strain on the finances of all other industries down to the individual consumer. We should get rid of it better today than tomorrow. If there were no oil, we all would have electric cars by now. In the early years of the automobile, electric engines were more numerous than combustion engines. Granted, combustion engines achieved the insanity that a 50 kilo Thai needs a monstrous 3 ton Pick Up to transport his skinny ass from A to B. An electric scooter would achieve the same, and be quicker in the city.

We wouldn't be back in the dark ages either, the industrial revolution was almost 200 years old when oil came along. Oil contributed very little to the technological progress, and has always been a dead end by design since this resource is finite.

Anyway, there is no common sense, you will have your way, and that's why today's pollution and mountains of waste are only the beginning.

Apart from the general rubbish problem that is a serious matter and the fact so much end up in the sea, I recall that there is a fine if you drop a cigarette down the drain and part of the reason for the fine is that it gets washed out to sea and a fish will eat it and die.

Odd that. Because a fish will taste many things floating about in the sea but spit out anything it does not regard as food.

Strange some of the ideas they have here.

• Like 1

I have seen Thai, mere steps away from an empty, bright yellow trash can, drop garbage on the ground.

You can lead a horse to water ...

It is sickening when you take the express train from the Airport. So many makeshift garbage dumps about. Really disturbing how little Thais care about their country.

You hit the nail on the head. Keywords are "their country".

I think the real problem is poverty, isn't it? People don't really have the time to care about the pollution in their country. As my wife always says, it's rather about the issue: What do we eat tomorrow???

I'm not a hard line environmentalist, but I was shocked to see how much plastic is used and dumped in Thailand...

Yep, you can tell a Thai a mile away but you can't tell them anything close up.

I think its a cultural thing. An economic-cultural thing maybe.

2 recent observations stick in my mind.

1) i recently saw a group of Chinese tourists eating takeout on a beach. after they finished, they just left to takeout containers on the beach and left. I was really shocked. My experience is in the US, where everyone is trained at an early age to keep the beaches clean. you take your trash out with you. Of course there are exception, and again in the western US, its normally the poorer and new immigrants that litter more often. And in those cases, they arent necessarily being disrespectful, they just arent use to that culture.

2) i recently saw a Buddhist monk in chang khan, eating takeout on the shore of the mekong. when he was finished, he threw away the styrofoam container into the river, and then proceeded to throw rocks at it. I sat there in shock. At that point i realized that the culture in TL hasnt evolved to the state where the environment was a national issue. Living day to day dominates the culture and until the population is more educated and the standard of living has progressed past the living day to day stage, the environment will be secondary issue at best.

just the observations of one man

Education and threats do tend to work as does shaming people.

When education alone did not work in the U.K. they started fining people for littering.

The local policeman could cuff you around the ear and make you pick the litter up.

There were adverts on television too about dropping litter. Brits might remember the 'Keep Britain Tidy' campaign.

Litter bins of which there were plenty had signs on them advising of a fine for 'litter louts'.

Here, as many say, there are a lot of locals who do not care.

Driving home sometimes after a long journey I haad a passenger in the car and she would collect all the litter up and throw it out of the window as we neared 5 kilometers or so of her house. Nothing I could do to stop her. She felt it was the normal thing to do.

Plastic is made from oil, and it's in the oil companies best interests to block research into viable cheap alternatives to oil.

The hypocrisy of blaming oil companies for everything might be less when Planes are invented that run on batteries and are charged from nuclear power... With many viable alternatives for plastics and transport yet to be discovered we simply cannot be judgmental without also being hypocritical.

Oil / Energy companies are at the forefront of research into the alternative Energy sources and alternatives to Petrochemical products. Without the money and technology that Oil / Energy companies pour into research the advancements in development would be far less.

Oil / Energy companies will not just shut down when the finite reservers have expired - While economically viable to do so, exploration and production of hydrocarbon reservers will continue. The revenue gained from this goes into research for the alternatives for their future as a company but also maintaining our future way of life.

Regardless of the reasons (i.e. in this case a company maintaining itself as the forefront of technology into the future) the result is still the same - these companies that some like to blame are the future, without them development towards alternative resources would occur at a slower rate.

IF you wish to point the finger at someone for the excessive waste - it has to be pointed at ourselves and the convenience we demand as a society.

Edited by richard_smith237

Just back from a long stint at the Thai Farm.

I can tell you honestly, there, NOTHING* is wasted.

Not through any great environmental want or desire on the part of the Thais ... actually, the only trees on the Farm to hug were indeed fruit trees.

Just the cost of food and the money to be gained from recycling ... so it's an economic decision

post-104736-0-40921000-1361427989_thumb.

Weighing up the recyclables

post-104736-0-84646000-1361428015_thumb.

Near empty when arrived ... near full when leaving.

I just wonder how many of that were my empty Leos ... a fair proportion I presume

*Where the Farm is, there is no garbage collection, so a small propotion of the household refuse was burnt.

Live and let live.

Its their country let them do as they please.

Your home country has no litter I suppose,(balls)

I copy the local populace.

Its tradition.

And when I am ready I will leave it all behind.

So you throw rubbish about willy nilly alongside them.

You sir are a pig.