Thais And There Calculators !

Sandman77

It's an observation.

The largest gene pool in the world is the one started by Genghis Kahn. Now, is he Chinese? Do you know all

Chinese people? Do you know all Thai people?

The Japanese were proud of their many accomplishments and resented racial slurs they met with in some Western nations. Their attempt to establish a statement of racial equality in the Covenant of the League of Nations was vetoed by the United States (because of opposition in California) and Great Britain (Australian resistance) so they started WW II in Asia.

Your personal observations that Thai Chinese are smarter than Thai people is racist. It is in poor taste and totally unsupported by any evidence except the comments of the uneducated and misinformed.

Take it easy. I'm not saying non- ethnic Chinese Thais are incapable. That would be ridiculous, but I'm sure you would not deny that ethnic Chinese Thais are very obviously more successful and educated as a percentage of their numbers in Thailand. I am only calling attention to a reality. Look around us. Everywhere you look in Thailand, the highest achieving Thais are Thai-Chinese, and my point now is that it's not a mistake. It is cultural. And, there's nothing wrong with saying as much, in my opinion. Just as many of us Westerners typically state that on average we are richer, have better standards of living, etc. Or that Nigerians down on Soi 3 are often drug dealers.

Don't be so sensitive. I know that any group of people can achieve, but not all groups achieve equally at a given time. Who knows what the future holds for ethnic Thais.

The Thais have enough problems with racism. I don't feel we help the issue by agreeing with them especially the Thai/Chinese ones.
I am sure A Thai is really worried or concerned with your opinion.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an observation.

The largest gene pool in the world is the one started by Genghis Kahn. Now, is he Chinese? Do you know all

The Japanese were proud of their many accomplishments and resented racial slurs they met with in some Western nations. Their attempt to establish a statement of racial equality in the Covenant of the League of Nations was vetoed by the United States (because of opposition in California) and Great Britain (Australian resistance) so they started WW II in Asia.

Your personal observations that Thai Chinese are smarter than Thai people is racist. It is in poor taste and totally unsupported by any evidence except the comments of the uneducated and misinformed.

Take it easy. I'm not saying non- ethnic Chinese Thais are incapable. That would be ridiculous, but I'm sure you would not deny that ethnic Chinese Thais are very obviously more successful and educated as a percentage of their numbers in Thailand. I am only calling attention to a reality. Look around us. Everywhere you look in Thailand, the highest achieving Thais are Thai-Chinese, and my point now is that it's not a mistake. It is cultural. And, there's nothing wrong with saying as much, in my opinion. Just as many of us Westerners typically state that on average we are richer, have better standards of living, etc. Or that Nigerians down on Soi 3 are often drug dealers.

Don't be so sensitive. I know that any group of people can achieve, but not all groups achieve equally at a given time. Who knows what the future holds for ethnic Thais.

The Thais have enough problems with racism. I don't feel we help the issue by agreeing with them especially the Thai/Chinese ones.

I can't think of a group that does not or has not had issues with racism at one point or another. Incidentally, the Chinese in Thailand for hundreds of years until fairly recently fought racism (including institutional racism) from the ethnic Thais. (Same in Malaysia, btw). They somehow fought through it all and now control nearly everything in this country including the culture.

I can't think of a group that does not or has not had issues with racism at one point or another. Incidentally, the Chinese in Thailand for hundreds of years until fairly recently fought racism (including institutional racism) from the ethnic Thais. (Same in Malaysia, btw). They somehow fought through it all and now control nearly everything in this country including the culture.

I don't think that past racism justifies present racism.

I'm ex engineer but i cant remember phone nr & names most of the time either,

in fact i can't remember i'm boiling eggs until too late.

Agree with naboo btw, if this semi illiterate nonsense is the best you can do

to feel better, just skip it, have a beer, study some math, whatever

Edited by poanoi

arthurwait, on 23 Feb 2013 - 12:48, said:

Minimum wage staff and bar girls didn't have a good education shocker.

Do you lot not know any educated Thai people ?

Loan officer from Krungsi Bank, supposedly with bachelor and possibly masters, does not know how to calculate interest or repayments

Guess he/she has staff who handles this.

No, he has a computer and on it is a program that does all these calculations, just like in the west. Ask an Aussie bank manager (worse, American or English) to do a repayment schedule for your loan or hp or lease, and they'd all struggle to do it manually. The smart ones, be they Thai or otherwise can do a close estimate of monthly repayment and interest. By the way, the dumbest bank manager I ever meet was American. He thought CNY was a TV channel and had no idea it was Chinese yuan. And then he got really confused when his computer said Chinese currency was rmb. I told dumbo that it was like dollar, bucks, greenback.:lol: Edited by doggie888888

Anyone who works all day adding up or subtracting money knows that, by the end of the day , you often make very simple arithmetical mistakes.

Please give the poor girl behind the shop counter who uses a calculator to subtract 20 from 50 a break. As someone else noted, if the till balance is short at the end of her shift, she will be paying back the difference.

Edited by Radar501

Minimum wage staff and bar girls didn't have a good education shocker. w00t.gif

Minimum wage staff and bar girls didn't have a good education shocker. w00t.gif

YEP. My wife , got her Master degree from England . My brothers-in-law, all got degrees from England or Australia.

Not bragging , since you asked. By the way , what does it got to do with the price of eggs ?

Calculators are not only a fast, safe and easy way to be sure of any mathematic 'problem' that crosses one's path.

Calculators are also used to communicate in a universal language in case of negotiations. Negotiations often require quick thinking and fast responses and any lack of a foreign language (for Thai it's English and for most of us it's Thai) requires a safe and universal expressions of the desired quotation/offer.

Ok ok, after having settled the price of THB 150 for a small Buddha statue, it need to be extracted from the THB 200 payment in order to come up with the correct change.

If you're going to post a topic putting down Thais and their maths, you should start by not making simple mistakes in your topic title.

Their, not there.

If you're going to post a topic putting down Thais and their maths, you should start by not making simple mistakes in your topic title.

Their, not there.

The definition of reading comprehension is the level of understanding of what is written; this requires a lack of bias.

The OP likely is not a native English speaker, in which case he did an admirable job of getting his point across. I do not see any real evidence of his criticizing Thais, (though it could be inferred with a biased eye) rather he makes an observation and requests an answer so he can understand Thai culture better.

Why is that so offensive?

It isn't.

EDIT: I look forward to more of the OP's posts.

Edited by HeijoshinCool

an other "why Thais cant be as smart as as " Threadsaai.gif

as if the store clerks in the west are mathematical geniuses.

Thais are not as stupid as they you think, and the Op is not as smart as he thinks.

Agree. And if I may point out, it's also a generational thing. Some of these kids may not be math whizzes, but can function in the modern IT world much more deftly than the old farts populating this forum.

Thais are not as stupid as they you think, and the Op is not as smart as he thinks.

Agree. And if I may point out, it's also a generational thing. Some of these kids may not be math whizzes, but can function in the modern IT world much more deftly than the old farts populating this forum.

Like this old guy?

post-73727-0-75547600-1361939252_thumb.j

Their, not there.

>If you're going to post a topic putting down Thais and their maths, you should start by not making simple mistakes in your topic title.

Their, not there.

The definition of reading comprehension is the level of understanding of what is written; this requires a lack of bias.

The OP likely is not a native English speaker, in which case he did an admirable job of getting his point across. I do not see any real evidence of his criticizing Thais, (though it could be inferred with a biased eye) rather he makes an observation and requests an answer so he can understand Thai culture better.

Why is that so offensive?

It isn't.

EDIT: I look forward to more of the OP's posts.

My point was that if you're going to criticise others you should make sure your own house is in order first.

I rest my case.

Like this old guy?

I was mostly referring to the OP.

Where l buy my beer the calc comes out, and the bird is fanominal, a married lady with two kids, so just great for my daily smile giggle.gif . Yep, the calc comes out for her arithmetic, BUT, at least once a week gives me back 100bht to much, WHICH, l always give her back. Me honest. thumbsup.gif ......smile.png

Where l buy my beer the calc comes out, and the bird is fanominal, a married lady with two kids, so just great for my daily smile giggle.gif . Yep, the calc comes out for her arithmetic, BUT, at least once a week gives me back 100bht to much, WHICH, l always give her back. Me honest. thumbsup.gif ......smile.png

Nah she's just toying with youlaugh.png

Nah she's just toying with youlaugh.png

I wish. sad.png

Probably mentioned before.....but this is not restricted to Thailand.

I have lost count of the number of times that I have purchased something....for example 420 Baht, I give the person a 500 hundred and a 20 baht note.....and they still have to use a calculator to work out the change.

You can change the currency to suit....young people are not encouraged to use their brains, they have machines that do it for them.

Even if they happen to press the wrong button on the calculator.... they still accept the final result displayed by their wonderful machine.

Cheers.

Probably mentioned before.....but this is not restricted to Thailand.

I have lost count of the number of times that I have purchased something....for example 420 Baht, I give the person a 500 hundred and a 20 baht note.....and they still have to use a calculator to work out the change.

You can change the currency to suit....young people are not encouraged to use their brains, they have machines that do it for them.

Even if they happen to press the wrong button on the calculator.... they still accept the final result displayed by their wonderful machine.

Cheers.

Hmmm, again, at the upper end, it's simply not true. At the upper end, kids today are by far the smartest generation on record. Research it. We are in the "information age" and young people have benefited from what previous gens simply didn't have available to them. By contrast, 30 years ago and earlier, kids, even at the upper end, were very much more narrowly educated, with narrow and rigid views.

Also, young people in the last couple gens have been tasked with doing orders of magnitude more work than your older gens were ever made to do. We simply didn't/don't have time to "show how smart we are" by doing mental maths. We are busy revolutionizing the world at as rapid a pace as has ever been recorded in human history.

Edited by PaullyW

you are absolutely right. They don't do math mentally anymore because they don't have to, and because they dont have to

they are not as good at it as those who had to learn because they had no other choice, and got good at it because they used it on a daily bases.

Much in the same way that we are no longer good in many unnecessary skills for our generation, such as starting a fire with out a lighter.

I find the Thai people to be very intelligent and resourceful, I remember when I first got to Thailand I would see all these broken tree twigs in the highway and I would change lanes, at first I could not figure out why there were so many twigs a leafs in the highway, Until I see a broken gown truck and the driver braking twigs of the trees and placing them far behind the truck to warn other drivers. A very resourceful technique, even though I did not know why the twigs were there, I moved over. If I had broken down it would never had occurred to me to use the twigs, I would had probably stood there waving my arms.

Thais do so much with so little, I am sure many of you have similar stories.

many people make the mistake of confusing intelligence with sophistication, two totally different things

European explorers and adventurers arriving in the Pacific islands a few centuries ago made the above mistake and with their sophisticated technology

claimed they were gods, and the locals bought it for a little while, but it did not take them long to figure out that these Europeans were not gods but simple people with different technology.

And very very Deliciouslaugh.png Aloy Mak Mak

Some Thais are Unsophisticated, others are generationaly skilled (i.e. have the skils required by their generation) others are very intelligent and some are stupid. much in the same proportions as any other nationality and in accordance with their culture.

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

Not sure about the uneducated, but certainly the educated Thai's have better mental maths skills than most Western schools. Still using pen and paper to carry out calculations that most Westerners would carry out on calculator due to introduction in schools. I use the Western catch term, but his refers mainly to England, US science and maths is pretty bad and way below standards of other countries.

Iran too have very good mental arithmetic.

my tuppence