Ship/boat Purchase

swissie

Can't find any sub-forum that would directly cover this. So I try here:

In a nutshell: I might be interested in buying a commercial fishing-vessel. (Classic Thai-Style). With the possibility of converting part of it into living quarters, without loosing all capabilities for fishing.

Where to find? Any publication concerning buying/selling boats?

I would hate to go along the shoreline asking any ship owners that hit the harbor "do you want to sell me your ship!"biggrin.png

Cheers.

Hi Swissie,

I am the Harbour Master at Ocean Marina so I hope I can help you with your slip question and a tip where to look for a boat to purchase.

For purchase, I recomend you use a reputable yacht broker. A broker can ensure the title is correct and ensures you dont have someone knocking on your boat sometime laater saying he is the owner. We have 5 brokers at Ocean Marina so it may be worth your while to pop down and have a look at what is listed.

Another avenue is a website called Baht & Sold. There are a number of boats for sale listed but just be careful you are dealing with the actual owner.

Here in Thailand, there are many world class marinas. On the west coast around Phuket, there are 4, being Ao Po Marina, Phuket Boat Lagoon, Royal Phuket Marina and Yacht Haven Marina. In Krabi, there is Krabi Boat Lagoon which is part of the Phuket Boat Lagoon Company. In the Gulf of Thailand, There is Ocean Marina 20 minutes out of Pattaya, a small marina called Lakeside, near Ban Prakong, a small marina in Pranburi, near Hua Hin and a samll marina in Koh Chang.

Ocean Marina is the biggest marina in South East Asia, with 330 floating marina berths with a 2km sea wall that is 5.5m high, protecting the boats from all wave action. The marina is state of the art with power and water to each berth and the new floating pontoons are from Poralu in France. Our recent extensions and expansion was only completed less than 1 year ago.

Security is parramount at Ocean Marina with CCTV, card access readers on every gate and employs 18 fulltime security guards. The marina is complimented by having 5 yacht brokers, 2 ship chandleries, painters, electricians, 5 boat building factories, riggers and we ven have Thailand's agents for Yanmar, Suzuki, Hobie Cat, Big Sports and many others.

If you need any more info, please feel free to PM me or google Ocean Marina Yacht Club and my details are on the website. Happy to help or give advise where I can and also introduce you to the brokers at the marina who are all full of advice having spent considerable time here in Thailand. Good luck, as owning a boat here in Thailand can be magnificent given the great cruising grounds on both sides, east and west.

Edited by mcyachty

If you're after a traditional wooden fishing vessel I'd look around Samuth Sonkran

and Samuth Sakhon and Bang Kon Tien, also Petchburi (if you are BKK based).

Ranong on the west coast, the northenmost city on the west coast, has a HUGE fishing industry.

Lots and lots of vessels.

If you're after a traditional wooden fishing vessel I'd look around Samuth Sonkran

Yes, traditional fishing-vessel is on my mind. I am not Bangkok based, but rather near Ratchabury = same as geografics is concerned. When you say "Petchbury" as written above, I know of Phetchabury. Is this the town you mean? If yes, this would only be 1 1/2 hours drive away from where I live.

Thanks & cheers.

Yes, traditional fishing-vessel is on my mind. I am not Bangkok based, but rather near Ratchabury = same as geografics is concerned. When you say "Petchbury" as written above, I know of Phetchabury. Is this the town you mean? If yes, this would only be 1 1/2 hours drive away from where I live.

Thanks & cheers.

Not sure about spelling. Petchburi. City in the North West corner of the Gulf,

east/south of Samut Songkram, north of Hua Hin.

Not far from Petchburi to Samut Songkram and Samuth Sakhon.

Ranong on the west coast, the northenmost city on the west coast, has a HUGE fishing industry.

I heard about Ranong. Problem is: I would have the ship in the Gulf of Thailand for the long run.

So, if the distance to bring the ship to the gulf (from Ranong) is as impressive as it is, the consideration of buying in Cambodia must come to mind.

I have not reached a final vedict yet, but so far I notice a significant price difference for the same "Product" (Thai versus Cambodia). Up to a point, where I must wonder "where is the catch?"

Cheers.

I heard about Ranong. Problem is: I would have the ship in the Gulf of Thailand for the long run.

So, if the distance to bring the ship to the gulf (from Ranong) is as impressive as it is, the consideration of buying in Cambodia must come to mind.

I have not reached a final vedict yet, but so far I notice a significant price difference for the same "Product" (Thai versus Cambodia). Up to a point, where I must wonder "where is the catch?"

Cheers.

Ranong to Gulf shouldn't be a problem.

Last time we drove from Chumphon to Ranong we saw a lot ultra large trucks taking pretty big traditional Thai fishing boats to Ranong.

And no that weren't the small one. It was big extended trucks like I have never seen before and real big boats.

Sorry, I made a mistake further up.

I said Petchburi was south and east of Samuth Songkram, WRONG!

Petchburi is south and west of Samuth Songkram.

Get a road map of Thailand, start in Bangkok, follow the main highway closest to the coast going EASTWARDS

(and later south).

Just before you leave Bangkok you will see Bang Kon Tien, some fishing vessels there.

Then just after, Samuth Sakhon, Plenty of fishing vessels.

Later (not far) Samuth Songkram, Plenty of fishing vessels

A bit further on, roughly in the corner of the gulf, Petchburi, Plenty fishing vessels

Then the high way (Phet Kaseem) veer south

I guess the next place with many vessels would be Chumphon and then Surat Thani

I doubt the smaller places between Petchburi and Chumphon will have many vessels.

Petchburi & Samuth Songkram & Samuth Sakhon & Bang Kon Tien are fairly close to each other.

Yes, Ranong is not so far by car but a long way by boat if you want the boat in the northern part of the gulf.

You have to go down the whole west coast down Malaysia then sneak past Singapore and all the way up the

gulf again. Long trip with some ample opportunities for rough weather.

Cheers.

Ranong to Gulf shouldn't be a problem.

Last time we drove from Chumphon to Ranong we saw a lot ultra large trucks taking pretty big traditional Thai fishing boats to Ranong.

And no that weren't the small one. It was big extended trucks like I have never seen before and real big boats.

Maybe swissie could say a few words or post a pic of what he is after. Fishing vessel can be many things.

When he said commercial fishing vessel the picture I had was something in the area of 60-90 feet, fully decked

and with a 2-3 storey superstructure aft.

Not really something you put on a multi-wheeler and negotiate the mountains between Ranong and Chumpon.

You could probably put a 70 feeter on a special multi-wheel trailer,

but I doubt you would be able to get it around the turns/bends in the mountains.

yes, take a look around, see what is there, then come back

personally I think 30/40 Thai fishing vessel is a wee bit on the small LOA

if you want a decked boat with the possibility to make living quarters.

Also keep in mind that there are regulations and licensing requirements to satisfy

when you register the boat with the Marine Dept.

cheers and happy look and good luck

yes, take a look around, see what is there, then come back

personally I think 30/40 Thai fishing vessel is a wee bit on the small LOA

if you want a decked boat with the possibility to make living quarters.

Also keep in mind that there are regulations and licensing requirements to satisfy

when you register the boat with the Marine Dept.

cheers and happy look and good luck

Oh yes, regulations and licensing ! When converting a fishing boat into a house-boat, (even if only limited fishing capabilites remain) would it sail under house boat or fishing boat or both ? (heaven forbid). I could imagine, even under "limited fishing capabilities" I would also need a work-permit on top of other licenses.sad.png

We have only one lawyer in town and he is by no means a "Marine-Lawyer" but he has foreseen "many problem coming for you" (a dual-purpose-ship seems to be hard to classify, just as far as taxes are concerned and that will not be the only factor.) A further complicating factor would probably be: It would be registered in my name only (not wife, not family, no "funny" corporation).

My village-lawyers answer to this: " Then you REALLY have problem coming for you." = "Why not buy condominium in Pattaya?". I said: No, I'd rather not.

Cheers.

I don't think ownership would represent a problem. At least as long as we talk pleasure craft and

not a commercial craft.

Registration of commercial vessels are pretty much the same in most countries, the requirements

and the procedures are very similar. You can find a fair amount re this on www.

I would check out Satun and Langkawi, lots of boats, boatyards and prices are low. Wood is always a good medium to go for in Thailand as it can be easily repaired.....lots of fishing boats are for sale. Licences are expiring, catches are low due to overfishing.