Car Rental

aly254

Hi. I will be renting a minibus for 2 weeks. I have a full uk license. Do I need a international drivers license or will a international driving permit from the post office be enough?

Also would you recommend getting: Hertz Thailand B 3210 maximum per rental agreement.

Optional

Super Collision Damage Waiver (SCDW):
In case of accident or damages was happened with a car, the amount of Non-waiverable excess will be reduced from THB 10,000 to THB ZERO for all car groups that can be purchased at the time of rental as follows

Thanks Aly

To the best of my knowledge:

An IDL and an IDP are the same thing.

If your original license is in English, you don't need one. I used to get them, but don't bother now. Never once been asked for it by rental co. or police.

Just be sure to bring BOTH PARTS of your uk license.

You can buy independent CDW on the i/net much cheaper than from the rental co.

I recently rented from Avis at the airport and they were more interested in my IDL than my UK licence. I had pre booked through a third party online though.my first time driving in TH so took every option open to me! I had a punture one day and upon returning the car they took photos of the tyre and my IDL! Back out in three weeks and renting again. Traffic is light up in Chai Nat so its quite a nice drive once out of BKK.

An IDP is just a translation of your actual DL and it sounds like that is what you got at the Post Office. The issue is really more about insurance than anything else and if you have an IDP then you are covering your beyond much better than without. Legally, "I think" you can drive on a UK or US DL as long as you are here as a tourist and not in country more than a certain time (90 Days) but driving without a valid license will cost you a couple hundred baht in fines. What you need to be concerned with is an accident and what the insurance states. If you really want to cover your bases then you should check with your insurance company at home.

FYI: An international driving permit (IDP) is the one you want. An international driving license (IDL) is usually those scam licenses sold online for people who think they can use them if their DL is revoked or suspended in their home country.

Just a consideration ... have you thought about hiring a van and driver? You'd be surprised at how cheap it can be and less stressful then driving in areas you may not be familiar. You can usually hire a van or SUV and driver for what it would cost to rent the same vehicle from a reputable place. If it is something you are interested then I would start a new thread asking for recommendations depending on where you will be traveling. I've hired drivers before who end up being your assistant, photographer and just about everything else to take care of you during the day beyond driving but understand sometimes you just want to drive yourself and not have a stranger as part of your vacation.