Funeral Gambling Session Raided

Lite Beer

Funeral gambling session raided
The Nation on Sunday

Six policemen yesterday raided a gambling operation set up at a local residence in Nakhon Si Thammarat that was hosting a funeral rite, seizing about Bt160,000 in alleged gambling money.

The raid angered people at the funeral, as a relative of the host said he had paid Bt10,000 to police to allow them to gamble, which is a custom at some funerals.

They claimed four police arrested the gamblers while two others rushed to seize about Bt160,000 and left.

Angered by this, gamblers detained the four police, until others turned up and negotiated their release.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-24

Angered by this, gamblers detained the four police, until others turned up and negotiated their release.

cheesy.gif

For those who have ever been to a Chinese funeral, you could just see this happening. To the family of the deceased, the police were way out of line acting like opportunists and not respecting Chinese tradition such as "da-ee-ah" as proffered by the top cop, Mr Chalerm.

• Like 2

They claimed four police arrested the gamblers while two others rushed to seize about Bt160,000 and left.

Wonder how much of the money was returned during the "negotiation" ? rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I would say that near 100% of weddings funerals they set up gambling OPENLY, In the previous area I lived it was common place . I wouldn't care to guess every day how many weddings and funerals there is, it will be expected.at all venues.

The POLICE RAID, normally they and the village head is at these venues, Sorry to say this but it is common that cooking beer and gambling starts before the dead persons body goes cold.

The police condone gambling in all villages and towns---as long as they are being paid. This topic sounds like gambling is RARE, hence the RAID, BIG DEAL, sorry for the pun.

• Like 2

I would say that near 100% of weddings funerals they set up gambling OPENLY, In the previous area I lived it was common place . I wouldn't care to guess every day how many weddings and funerals there is, it will be expected.at all venues.

The POLICE RAID, normally they and the village head is at these venues, Sorry to say this but it is common that cooking beer and gambling starts before the dead persons body goes cold.

The police condone gambling in all villages and towns---as long as they are being paid. This topic sounds like gambling is RARE, hence the RAID, BIG DEAL, sorry for the pun.

Here they do worse than condone it, they run it. Wife's daughter and husband work a table for them.
  • Like 1

At all funerals they have gamblers to keep either an incense stick (or candle can't remember) alite all night, its usually turned a blind eye to. They have people who will play cards all night keeping it lit, now who will do it?.

Ask any Thai outside of Nahon Si Thammarat province about NST and he'll tell you NST is the HUB for cheat, murder, ... inside Thailand. Amazing Thailand smile.png

They don't like Nakhon because it was one of the hubs of the communist insurgency. The gambling issue is country wide.

These funerals up here in Esaan are quite interesting. The grieving family of the deceased have to buy all the food, beer and whiskey for the concerned neighbors and extended family ten cousins-in-laws removed to come and show their respects for the dearly departed soul. They show up, eat and as soon as they are finished eating they're gone. Of course they are expected to donate to the cause with an envelope containg money. I told my old GF this seems to be opposite the way it should be and she said many years ago the neighbors did these things for the family but now everything has reversed.

• Like 1