100% Honey ,means In Thailand 80%sugar!

Sandman77

A quick easy way to check if honey is pure is to dip a small piece of cloth in it and light it on fire. Genuine honey will burn while that which is mixed with cane syrup will sputter and pop.

Can I do this in the supermarket before committing to my purchase?

I wouldn't advise it,but you can feel free to give it a try. Let us know how it works out.

• Like 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone asked the health benefits of honey. Well, for once, honey is actually better at healing wounds, scrapes and skin infections, even Staph infections than modern medicine: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/20/the-natural-way-to-speed-wound-healing.aspx

Glad to see that the " medical site " you referred to luckily also had that particular honey for sale.biggrin.png

Someone asked the health benefits of honey. Well, for once, honey is actually better at healing wounds, scrapes and skin infections, even Staph infections than modern medicine: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/20/the-natural-way-to-speed-wound-healing.aspx

Glad to see that the " medical site " you referred to luckily also had that particular honey for sale.biggrin.png

I just Googled and didn't bother to find the actual Pubmed article. This isn't a marketing ploy. Honey does actually have very good anti-septic qualities.

• Like 1

I just Googled and didn't bother to find the actual Pubmed article. This isn't a marketing ploy. Honey does actually have very good anti-septic qualities.

I believe that to some level, but as the article says that baceria are growing resistant to certain anti-biotics, don't you think they have grown resistant to something they have been contested with for a hundred years ?

I believe that to some level, but as the article says that baceria are growing resistant to certain anti-biotics, don't you think they have grown resistant to something they have been contested with for a hundred years ?

Nope, honey hasn't been used on the same massive industrial scale as antibiotics.

I usually buy "organic honey" for 350-400 tb. When buying you should see if it begins to crystallize.

A 100% honey should crystallize in cold temperatures.

Quite right, my own honey (from my own bees) does sometimes crystallise, in the fridge.

IME the sellers-of-fake-honey sometimes throw in a couple of dead-bees, or a scrap of honeycomb, to add authenticity to their suspiciously-cheap syrup with caramelised-colour product ! But you can taste the difference ! Caveat emptor !

Actually it's not right at all, the crystallization depends on the type of honey and conditions of storage, it doesn't show it's 100%.

http://scienceline.org/2007/04/ask-westly-crystallizedhoney/

Actually it's not right at all, the crystallization depends on the

type of honey and conditions of storage, it doesn't show it's 100%.

http://scienceline.o...stallizedhoney/

correct, I had a jar in the freezer@-18 overnight and it isnt cyrstallised, a bit hard but a sharp knife penetrates and reaches the bottom of the jar, bees are also fed sugar water if honey is low for winter but I think they consume it rather than produce honey, buy it in the comb

That might be so if honey stayed static over the years but just as the

flavor changes with the flowers the medicinal purposes could also change

That might be so if honey stayed static over the years but just as the

flavor changes with the flowers the medicinal purposes could also change

I really am no hippy, however I tend to find evidence that nature does

provide for most of man's medical needs. How about dogs sniffing

cancer? St John's Wort for depression? Most medical drugs come from

identifying the active component in a natural cure and then synthesising

it en-masse.

From Wiki Honey....

Looks like the normal state is around 80% sugars of some variety...

Honey is a mixture of sugars and other compounds. With respect to carbohydrates, honey is mainly fructose (about 38.5%) and glucose (about 31.0%),[1] making it similar to the synthetically produced inverted sugar syrup, which is approximately 48% fructose, 47% glucose, and 5% sucrose. Honey's remaining carbohydrates include maltose, sucrose, and other complex carbohydrates.[1] As with all nutritive sweeteners, honey is mostly sugars and contains only trace amounts of vitamins or minerals.[40][41] Honey also contains tiny amounts of several compounds thought to function as antioxidants, including chrysin, pinobanksin, vitamin C, catalase, and pinocembrin.[42][43][vague] The specific composition of any batch of honey depends on the flowers available to the bees that produced the honey.[40]

Typical honey analysis:[44]

Its glycemic index ranges from 31 to 78, depending on the variety.[45

Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)

Energy 1,272 kJ (304 kcal)

Carbohydrates 82.4 g -

Sugars 82.12 g -

Dietary fiber 0.2 g

Fat 0 g

Protein 0.3 g

Water 17.10 g

Riboflavin (vit. B2) 0.038 mg (3%) Niacin (vit. B3) 0.121 mg (1%) Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.068 mg (1%) Vitamin B6 0.024 mg (2%) Folate (vit. B9) 2 μg (1%) Vitamin C 0.5 mg (1%) Calcium 6 mg (1%) Iron 0.42 mg (3%) Magnesium 2 mg (1%) Phosphorus 4 mg (1%) Potassium 52 mg (1%) Sodium 4 mg (0%) Zinc 0.22 mg (2%) Shown is for 100 g, roughly 5 tbsp.

Percentages are relative to US recommendations for adults.

Source: USDA Nutrient Database

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey#Nutrition

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

you are the only poster on Thai Visa who seem to have a problem with EVERYTHING, now even honey

Leave him alone, I'm enjoying his contribs to TVF. Much more fun than reading how wonderful it is all over here.

You obviously don't spend much time on TVF if you think that most posts here are "how wonderful it is all over here". lol

you are the only poster on Thai Visa who seem to have a problem with EVERYTHING, now even honey

Leave him alone, I'm enjoying his contribs to TVF. Much more fun than reading how wonderful it is all over here.

You obviously don't spend much time on TVF if you think that most posts here are "how wonderful it is all over here". lol

I resemble that comment, just read your stupid post.

If you Google honey for medicinal purposes you will find that it is NOT an old wive's tale. Even the US military uses honey saturated field dressings to prevent infection. The results are amazing when compared with commercial antibiotics.

• Like 2

If you pick up the bottle of "honey" and it is about the consistency of pancake syrup, it's a good bet that is just what it is: syrup made with refined sugar. I'm from Wisconsin and had my own hives for years. I never saw any honey of this viscosity. The scary question is where are they mixing up their "honey" brew? I love honey, but I will not buy any more over here as there are too many unregulated possibilities. Also, refined sugar, although sweet like honey, is not a healthy sweetener like honey is.

-------------

On another note, why are there so many mean spirited contributors in here? Jeez.... the guy brings up a point about honey, and maybe some other observations about other subjects in the past, and some of you jump on him like he is doing something wrong. As anyone with eyes and a brain can observe for themselves, Thailand has many things, foods, practices and cultural factors that are different, strange, weird, and maybe even just plain wrong compared to where any farang comes from in the west. His observations are just as acceptable as any from those of you who attack him for making his own. Maybe some of you have been in the Kingdom a little too long and ought to head back to your homelands for a while to regain some western civility. And if you came to Thailand BECAUSE you are a jerk by western standards, at least leave those who wish to be civil to each other alone. Go harass some temple dogs or something....

Well said.

My work is done here.

I have seen the street vendors selling the fake, bottled honey but they often carry some honey combs for effect.

Generally in a bag contained in a bucket on Samui and you just have to taste it to know if it's real. I don't make anything that uses honey (or sugar) but I buy it if I see it and give it as a gift.

theres a guy near my g/fvillage who has lots of hives at his house and sells the honey in a 70cl Hong thong bottle for 80 baht

I suppose at that price he must be mixing it with sugar

Not necessarily, that's about double what the local wholesaler was supposed to be paying for honey by-the-drum, a couple of years back.

Keeping bees in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai (supposedly the biggest honey-areas in the country, because of the fruit-trees) can be a paying-business, but not a vastly-profitable one, unfortunately.