Traffic Light Jumper Arrested At Fatal Crash Scene In Jomtien

Rimmer

Traffic Light Jumper arrested at fatal crash scene in Jomtien

crash-51.jpg
PATTAYA:--A man who drove through a red traffic light is accused of causing a fatal road accident on the Sukhumvit Road in Na-Jomtien on Sunday afternoon.
Police and rescue services were called to the location just after 1pm to deal with the crash involving two pick-ups.

The “Jaws of Life” were used to remove a dead passenger from a Blue Isuzu Dragon pick-up, driver by Khun Banjong aged 53 who was himself seriously injured. He was in the truck with his wife, Khun Nangpon aged 48 who was pronounced dead-at-the-scene.

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/76325/traffic-light-jumper-arrested-fatal-crash-scene-jomtien/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-02-25

Have they considered installing red light cameras at intersections. This may make some think twice before running the lights. Even if you have a green light it doesn't mean it's safe to enter an intersection in Thailand.

I know they have speed cameras in Chiangmai because I got pinged for 84 in an 80 zone (inner ringroad)

There are cameras on some of the main trafic light junctions, a friend of mine (British) was involved in a crash, a Thai on a motorbike jumped the red and drove into the back of my mate on his bike, when he asked the (ahem) police about the camera they said - not working!!

On the way to the temple this afternoon and some foreign guy in a pick-up truck thought he could jump the red, turning right from Sukhumvit into Khao Talo. The sound of all those motorbike horns was like a swarm of angry bees buzzing past him as he sat almost in the middle of the junction with bikes dippimg round to avoid him.

No wonder there are so many accidents.

• Like 1

We were second in the queue, there were two cars waiting for
the green light to turn right, I couldn’t go on the inside to filter left
because there was a pickup delivering charcoal luckily for us, a pickup coming
very fast from the right went through on red and side swiped a truck that was
turning, he sent the truck spinning up the road.

He then hit the electric pole on the corner where we would
have been turning.

Every time we cross on green, cars and buses just go through
on red.

• Like 1

have been turning.

Every time we cross on green, cars and buses just go through

on red.

Seems like fate was on your side smile.png

Up our way my wife regularly urged me to go straight on at a T-junction even though I had a red light. Eventually they installed a second light, just to make things clear, over the straight on lane. It goes green when you're supposed to go. Hasn't changed anything for anyone and I must admit I still go through on red there, turn left on red also like everyone else. (due care and attention). I certainly wouldn't do this in Bangkok or Pattaya though, you crazy?

Red light cameras should be a 'must'. Why the F do most Thai drivers think they have a God-given [or Buddha-given] right to drive through red lights. I sat at junction on Ubon's main street yesterday with my light on Green, while 2 pickups and umpteen bikes continued to cross on their Red. I had already moved half way [gingerly] across the junction and the b*stards were beeping their horns and/or flashing their lights at me!!!

Red light cameras should be a 'must'. Why the F do most Thai drivers think they have a God-given [or Buddha-given] right to drive through red lights. I sat at junction on Ubon's main street yesterday with my light on Green, while 2 pickups and umpteen bikes continued to cross on their Red. I had already moved half way [gingerly] across the junction and the b*stards were beeping their horns and/or flashing their lights at me!!!

No police presence, BUT, if there was they wouldn't do anything anyway and the natives know that. sad.png

If they flash thier lights that overides any road rules and they have the right of way. thumbsup.gif

Edited by chooka

Simply cecause they can, and if they get cought, few bahts and case close and every is happy.

when approaching a junction at speed the average thai has to make a decision, slow down as the light has turned red or flash your lights and carry on, same speed.

i think they see it as some sort of losing face scenario as they have to give way to other road users which seems to be a sign of weakness to them......this just wont do!

• Like 1

Why do drivers here in Thailand that are making a left turn on red think that they have the right of way ?

Everywhere else you are required to stop and yield when making a turn on Red !

They like to do this if the oncoming vehicle is smaller.

Do it in front of a 10 ton truck? LOL

Here in Hua Hin, at the 2 main intersections there are two seperate camera-systems fitted up over each junction (what I would term as 'Spyball' & the more conventional set-up of two cameras side-by-side). There is also a Police box on each junction, but alas..as stated in previous posts..when the lights go from green to red the cars, sontaews, & motorcycles just keep on comin' thru'..! Do you think these incidents ARE recorded? Do these drivers actually get fined? Do the MIB actually take any notice? Somehow I think not..T.I.T.eh?

when approaching a junction at speed the average thai has to make a decision, slow down as the light has turned red or flash your lights and carry on, same speed.

i think they see it as some sort of losing face scenario as they have to give way to other road users which seems to be a sign of weakness to them......this just wont do!

As long as there is no chance of an accident, and I have the right of way, I will never give way to any driver who flashes his lights at me.

You gotta have a sense of humour to live in Thailand.smile.png

I like to watch pedestrians, Thai and Falang, dodging the bikes and cars, jumping the red lights on pedestrian crossings.

Can be entertaining on Sukamvit as a green light goes red too!

Its like watching you tube clips, but for real.clap2.gif

Maybe I have just got a warped sense of humour.

Cameras on lights.

That wont stop em jumping them.

Around 20 years ago it was decreed that it was ''The Law'' to wear a crash helmet!cheesy.gif

Get real T.I.T!

As long as there is no chance of an accident, and I have the right of way, I will never give way to any driver who flashes his lights at me.

Another TV poster who will, some day, end up "dead right." whistling.gif

The meaning of the phrase "right of way" can be a heavily disputed, depending upon which passport or national ID you possess. Best, to stop the driver flashing his lights and first ask him/her his concept of "right of way." Oh, impractical? Then continue to enjoy your foolish game of Russian Roulette. wink.png

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1

Why do drivers here in Thailand that are making a left turn on red think that they have the right of way ?

Everywhere else you are required to stop and yield when making a turn on Red !

Because you are in Thailand and not everywhere else. There is a general disregard for the law in Thailand which I put down to the people having no respect for the BiB. As long as the cops are crooks, the people have a very poor example to follow and figure why not, no one cares, they might as well ignore the law too.

There are cameras on some of the main trafic light junctions, a friend of mine (British) was involved in a crash, a Thai on a motorbike jumped the red and drove into the back of my mate on his bike, when he asked the (ahem) police about the camera they said - not working!!

The majority of the red light camers in California & Nevada do not work either. You can not arrest a car, and the camera usually can not get a photo of the driver. Especially in Thailand, where all of the cars have their windows tinted almost black. Courts in the U.S. have to throw out most cases involving a picture of a car breaking the law, but not showing who was driving.

Running a red light in Thailand is ramant. It's only 10:30 a.m. and I have witnessed over a dozen red light jumpers today--most of them song-thaews and big 4x4 SUV's whose drivers think they own the roads.

The airport should have warning signs up for naive tourists who are ready to rent-n-roll the moment their jet touches the tarmac. Most are not prepared for the flagrant disregard for traffic safety and the lives of fellow highway users.

Edited by Fookhaht

During last week I observed two vehicles parked across a pedestrian crossing . One had his rear of his vehicle parked across half of the crossing and the other one who had parked behind him had the front of his vehicle across the othe half of the crossing. Would you believe a couple of days later I was driving along the same road and they had parked exactly the same, plus the was another vehicle double parked alonside them covering all of the crossng. I have been close to being knocked down when on a pedestrian crossing a couple of times even after loking right ,left and right again. I often wonder why they have pedestrian crossings. Is it just to make it look good?

have been turning.

If that is the driver wearing a blue tee shirt, when we saw him sat at the wheel he was wearing a long sleeved white shirt ????

Edited by sometime