La Boca Cuts The Cheese

ReyBuono

Been there once - good place to eat but not great. Owner is very defensive even with constructive criticism (check out their TripAdvisor postings). Once advice to the owner: the expat community is what keep most business alive especially during low season.

Yes I noticed the active posting on tripadvisor. Anyway, if its true that they have dropped the forced service charge that might indicate a management that is sensitive to criticism and that's not so bad. I doubt they'll lower their price on water though! Another funny thing is their delivery charge. It is set and it is very high. Even if you live two minutes away.

But I don't consider them a ripoff. They serve good food and the prices are on the menu. Eat there or don't.

On the tourist trap charge, again they aren't trapping anyone, there are scores of restaurants in the area to choose from. In that area it may be the majority of their customers are tourists but that's just the nature of the neighborhood.

Maybe tourist trap is too strong a phrase but a lot of the restaurants in the area survive just because of their location n- on the main road and next to big hotels.

I agree that the food isn't bad and enjoyed their eggplant lasagna when they opened. But compared to many places in Bangkok and even in Pattaya, it is just not good value for money. I know the rent is expensive but there are other places nearby that must have similar rent and seem to offer better deals For example, though it is not the greatest French restaurant in the world, the French-Thai cozy diner just down the road seems to offer cheaper choices that are still filling.

Do you mean Natans? I know that is high rated on Tripadvisor for whatever that is worth but personally I am not a fan of their food and they are an open air place, obviously much cheaper rent. It is a tourist area, yes.

Been there once - good place to eat but not great. Owner is very defensive even with constructive criticism (check out their TripAdvisor postings). Once advice to the owner: the expat community is what keep most business alive especially during low season.

Yes I noticed the active posting on tripadvisor. Anyway, if its true that they have dropped the forced service charge that might indicate a management that is sensitive to criticism and that's not so bad. I doubt they'll lower their price on water though! Another funny thing is their delivery charge. It is set and it is very high. Even if you live two minutes away.

But I don't consider them a ripoff. They serve good food and the prices are on the menu. Eat there or don't.

On the tourist trap charge, again they aren't trapping anyone, there are scores of restaurants in the area to choose from. In that area it may be the majority of their customers are tourists but that's just the nature of the neighborhood.

Maybe tourist trap is too strong a phrase but a lot of the restaurants in the area survive just because of their location n- on the main road and next to big hotels.

I agree that the food isn't bad and enjoyed their eggplant lasagna when they opened. But compared to many places in Bangkok and even in Pattaya, it is just not good value for money. I know the rent is expensive but there are other places nearby that must have similar rent and seem to offer better deals For example, though it is not the greatest French restaurant in the world, the French-Thai cozy diner just down the road seems to offer cheaper choices that are still filling.

Do you mean Natans? I know that is high rated on Tripadvisor for whatever that is worth but personally I am not a fan of their food and they are an open air place, obviously much cheaper rent. It is a tourist area, yes.

OK let's compare indoor places i guess there is Pig and Whistle which is just across the road, For 225 average price of daily special I always feel full and the food is not too bad.

Great. Eat there. How's their pizza? I really don't get this typical line of restaurant attack. Different restaurants have different price structures. If they are too dear for you, you don't go there. I've never been to Mantra and I doubt it would be worth if to me to ever go, but that doesn't make it a rip off, necessarily.

Actually, there might be kind of an objective way to know whether a restaurant is a rip off or not, but even that wouldn't account for the skill of the cooking, the nature of the ambiance and service, etc. That would be FOOD COST. Restaurants should know their food cost vs. menu price. In the USA, 30 percent is typical but many places shoot for lower especially on drink prices. Anyway, if you knew a restaurant's food cost was only 10 percent of the menu price you could fairly call them a rip off.

I met a French chef in California once who was cooking at one of the most famous restaurants in the state. He was describing a dish with a food cost of 3 dollars and a menu price of 30 dollars. But the critics loved their food. Is that a rip off? I still think so!

Edited by Jingthing

Great. Eat there. How's their pizza? I really don't get this typical line of restaurant attack. Different restaurants have different price structures. If they are too dear for you, you don't go there.

It's not an attack: just an opinion, with people clarifying why they wont go there. They are entitled to express their opinions.

I think that 50B for water is way over the top. It doesn't matter what the "price structure" of the place is, it's just plain over the top. I wouldn't pay it in La Boca, or at the Hilton, or at the Pig and Whistle, or at the noodle stall outside La Boca or anywhere else. If La Boca finds enough mugs around to pay it so much the better for La Boca.

We agree on one point at least. 50-60 baht for a bottle of drinking water which the restaurant can probably source for 5 - 10 baht is definitely a ripoff. However, I seriously doubt La Bocca's food cost structure has the same radical ratio. They figured they can get away with the drink prices. They are probably right. That's business for you.

Edited by Jingthing

I really dont see the problem in a high quality restaurant charging 50 baht for a water. Drinks are how most places make money, there is very little to be made from just food unless your a street vendor with no overheads. In England I pay around £3 for a bottle of water that in the supermarkets cost less than £1 usually. Thats just the way it is, in good quality places in every single country in the world near enough its the same. If your really that upset over paying an extra 40 baht or so for a bottle of water then these places are probably not for you. These places need regular punters who come in and enjoy themselves maybe drink a bottle of wine with their meal have a good experience and not worry about the cost because your paying for the good food, air con, good service and good quality decor and cutlery etc. If paying 50 baht for a water upsets you then go eat at a noodle street stand, sit on a bendy plastic chair with barely enough room on the table to lift up your fork and inhale those lovely bike and care fumes as you play around with the risk of food poisoning and dont forget about sweating away with those mosquitoes biting away at your legs and cockroaches running around your feet.

As for Mantra they charge a lot for water too and they just dump the plastic bottle of minerele on your table. Their quality of ingredients is high but whoever is cooking them isnt.

Back to the cheese anyway, he should raise prices by 5 baht per item, no one would know the difference and he could offer the cheese so people can dump it on their lasanga to their hearts content. OP wouldnt have started this thread if the meal came to 40 baht more through the prices of their food rather than the add on for cheese.

• Like 1

I really dont see the problem in a high quality restaurant charging 50 baht for a water. Drinks are how most places make money, there is very little to be made from just food unless your a street vendor with no overheads. In England I pay around £3 for a bottle of water that in the supermarkets cost less than £1 usually. Thats just the way it is, in good quality places in every single country in the world near enough its the same.

Hilton: Water = 30B incl tax and service.

I'd happily pay for real Parmesan to be grated freshly over my pasta rather than the dried out substitute served in a small bowl.

How much would I pay? Hmmm.....50 Baht maybe?

LaBocca does not use a dried out substitute but pays 980 THB/kg for imported cheese, this according to the owner.

The teeny tiny bowl I got at La Bocca was hardly a gram. It's to the restaurant's advantage to skimp on the first bowl so that customers like me will order a second hit.

I know Parmigiano Reggiano is expensive. I buy it all the time at B1200 per kilo.

He buys Grana Padano at 200 Baht less and calls it Parmigiano.

As I said before, 40 Baht is 12-15% of the cost of a full pasta entree.

Edited by ReyBuono

I'm delighted to have the advice of so many gourmands about the wisdom of putting Parmisan topping on Lasagna. Nonetheless, I will continue to do so at other restaurants, hopefully at no extra charge.

The days of the big bowl of cheese are over at La Bocca. You'll find that out when you return.

I found the owner defensive -- not at all accommodating once his policy was questioned.

I agree with the poster who said that Jomtien Italian restaurants are overpriced and mediocre.

Pan Pan charges for bread -- another violation of the rules of Italian hostelry.

I tried the other Pan-Pan which recently opened just past the Ambassador. The prices were horrifying; the food bland.

LaBocca has not been plus plus for quite some time. There is no service charge added. Yes, water is 50 baht.

For real? Thanks for the update. I had stopped going and that was one of the reasons. Not the only reason. I will go to plus plus places if I really want their food, unlike some.

Also, I forget. Are they adding TAX to the prices on the menu or not?

Next maybe a Electric surcharge. Stay away from that type of Restaurant where the owner is a Cheap Carlie

If i want good Italian food in PTT - 9 of 10 times iam going slightly more ahead Jomtien 2 Rd to a small italian road cafe. Its cheaper then in Le Bocca - but the food is great.

If im with friends and i want some comfort - Le Bocca is my choice...avarage bill for 4 persons is 2000 thb for us(we dont drink alcohol).For me its not much at all for the given service.

Every time i think i overpayed in PTT for the food - i remember how i payed 140 euro in Monaco for 2 small veg salats and 2 bottle of Hainiken(for my friend) and iam smile )))) 40 thb for the extra cheese? Pfff

Edited by YuryBalyasnikov
  • Like 2

The teeny tiny bowl I got at La Bocca was hardly a gram. It's to the restaurant's advantage to skimp on the first bowl so that customers like me will order a second hit.

I know Parmigiano Reggiano is expensive. I buy it all the time at B1200 per kilo.

% cost of a full pasta entrée is irrelevant, the ingrediants in the entrée could all be locally sourced and the cheese could be the only thing imported. Its like saying the cost of a thai steak is 400 baht but if you wanted some truffles greated on top or some fore grois it would cost 60% of the cost of your entrée just for a tiny little bit. Should they ignore the fact that it costs x amount to purchase just because the cost of their entrée is xx amount?

% cost of a full pasta entrée is irrelevant, the ingrediants in the entrée could all be locally sourced and the cheese could be the only thing imported. Its like saying the cost of a thai steak is 400 baht but if you wanted some truffles greated on top or some fore grois it would cost 60% of the cost of your entrée just for a tiny little bit. Should they ignore the fact that it costs x amount to purchase just because the cost of their entrée is xx amount?

The point is in an Italian restaurant, cheese should viewed as a condiment, like sugar in coffee, ketscup on a hamburger, or salt and pepper on the table. The costs of cheese should be priced in to the meal. We are not talking about adding cheese to a hamburger (at extra costs).

• Like 1

Plenty of fine, inexpensive Italian restaurants in town.

Expect Starbucks to charge for extra packets of Equal. Mc D's for extra Ketchup,

Parmisan is a cost of doing business it you're running an Italian restaurant. Some people don't use any cheese. Should they get a discount?

The teeny tiny bowl of cheese costs 40 Baht -- about 12% of the price of the lasagna.

I consider that a rip off.

I agree with you Jomtien has gotten out of hand. Near the corner of chaiyapeark and sukumvit is a new Russian Restaurant, dined there 4 days ago, food was bland and over priced, and here is the kicker, ON THE MENU NEAR THE LAST PAGE: Ketchup 30b., Mayo 40b, Mustard 30b., Soy Sauce 30b. Another restaurant North Jomtien, "Chow Box" food so so, can of coke 75b.

Edited by BigSkip
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...