La Boca Cuts The Cheese

ReyBuono

Dined at La Boca restaurant in Jomtien. Ordered lasagna. It came without a side order of Parmisan cheese. Asked the waitress to bring some. She brought a tiny round dish with a small amount. Asked for more. She brought another tiny round dish.

At the end of the meal, the bill came with a charge of 80B for Parmisan Cheese -- more than 20% of the entire fare. Complained to the manager. He said that only the second serving should have been charged. I said "You charge for extra Parmisan?:" He said "Yes -- 40 Baht".

Won't go back.

By the way, it was Grana Padano, not Parmisan.

• Like 2

Plenty of fine, inexpensive Italian restaurants in town.

Expect Starbucks to charge for extra packets of Equal. Mc D's for extra Ketchup,

Parmisan is a cost of doing business it you're running an Italian restaurant. Some people don't use any cheese. Should they get a discount?

The teeny tiny bowl of cheese costs 40 Baht -- about 12% of the price of the lasagna.

I consider that a rip off.

Edited by ReyBuono

Plenty of fine, inexpensive Italian restaurants in town.

Expect Starbucks to charge for extra packets of Equal. Mc D's for extra Ketchup,

Parmisan is a cost of doing business it you're running an Italian restaurant. Some people don't use any cheese. Should they get a discount?

The teeny tiny bowl of cheese costs 40 Baht -- about 12% of the price of the lasagna.

I consider that a rip off.

You maybe right with the rip-off....

But why on earth do you put additional parmigiano on a lasagne??? It will ruin the taste of the lasagne, as the cheese will not melt...

I'm delighted to have the advice of so many gourmands about the wisdom of putting Parmisan topping on Lasagna. Nonetheless, I will continue to do so at other restaurants, hopefully at no extra charge.

The days of the big bowl of cheese are over at La Bocca. You'll find that out when you return.

I found the owner defensive -- not at all accommodating once his policy was questioned.

I agree with the poster who said that Jomtien Italian restaurants are overpriced and mediocre.

Pan Pan charges for bread -- another violation of the rules of Italian hostelry.

Grana Padana is the top brand of parmesan cheese from Italy. A small block of it, barely enough for a pasta dinner for 4 - is 150 baht in Makro. I'm not surprised they ask extra. Yes they could put it on the price of food, but then those who don't want so much cheese have to pay more for their food. Of course I'd like cheese to be cheap here, but we're in Thailand, and this stuff is only made in Italy, needs to be transported cold (frozen?) and in any case is expensive stuff also in Europe. Enjoy that it's available here at all.

"Grana Padano" is not a "brand" and is certainly not the "top brand" of parmesan cheese in Italy (or anywhere else). Grana Padano is a "Protected Designation of Origin", signifying the variety/type and where the cheese is produced (like "Aceto Balsamico de Modena"), and while it is a very popular cheese (and no doubt can be quite good) it is in no way regarded as the best. That status is reserved for Parmigiano Reggiano, which is universally regarded as more crumbly, stronger and more complex in flavor than the typically shorter-aged Grana Padano. To say that Grana Padano is the top brand of parmesan cheese in Italy is like saying "Burgundy (or Bordeaux) is the top red wine in France". There are hundreds (probably thousands) of burgundy producers and there are dozens (or more) producers of Grana Padano, with very different ingredients and aging times and processes, from as little as 9 months to as long as 22 months. One of the best Padano is "Grana Padano Stravecchio Oro del Tempo", but it is still not regarded to be as good as the better Parmigiano Riggianos. The Padano is regarded by many as "bland".

All parmesan cheeses are over-priced in Thailand, due to transportation costs and import taxes, which certainly translates into higher prices for pizza and Italian foods, generally. And while cheese is, of course, a cost of doing an Italinan restaurant business, provided that the menu makes it clear that second helpings of cheese will be charged, it makes sense to limit one helping of the expensive ingredient in the included price, rather than having the one or two heavy users of cheese spread the higher cost to the bills of all diners -- if you prefer the latter approach, eat at a buffet. Italian restauranteurs already have a hard time competing with the locally produced fare, so you shouldn't criticize/blame them for trying to keep their prices down/afforable for all of their dining customers.

• Like 1

At least agree about the second part. smile.png

As for the first part, I agree I should have said "one of the top brands" as Reggiano is certainly also a good cheese, but that wasn't really the point, which was that Grana is certainly not a cheap no-brand cheese.

From Wikipedia:

Grana Padano is one of the world's first hard cheeses, ... regarded as one of the most famous cheeses of Italy.... made in a similar way to the Parmigiano Reggiano of Emilia-Romagna but over a much wider area and with different regulations and controls...if it passes the quality tests, it will be fire-branded with the Grana Padano trademark.

Grana Padana is the top brand of parmesan cheese from Italy...

As noted above, this is 100% false. Gran Padana is also less expensive than Parmesan. However, I've been to this place several times, they do try to nickel and dime their customers and nobody likes that. The food is quite good and I'd go more often if they would change their ways just a little bit.

• Like 1

Cuts the cheese? Nice one.

Anyway, I find La Boca pricey overall. They add charges to the bill. The staff claims they don't get any of the service charge paid in the bill, believe them or not, you decide. The portions for some things particularly the pastas might be a little too modern in the very small department. You can't even buy a basic drinking water for under 50 or 60 baht.

However, many people feel they have the best Italian style (crispy thin crust) pizza in town and they may be right. Also I had the best eggplant parm I've had in Thailand there.

On the extra cheese charge, I'm not really bothered. I think offering one cheese is standard. It wouldn't surprise me if asking for an extra cheese usually incurs a charge at most local places. As someone who buys it in the markets here, I KNOW it is VERY expensive.

BTW, my current fave Italian place also clearly states on their menu, one cheese gratis, extra is charged.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608166-the-hit-and-run-restaurant-review-thread/page-6#entry6024377

Edited by Jingthing

Cuts the cheese? Nice one.

Anyway, I find La Boca pricey overall. They add charges to the bill. The staff claims they don't get any of the service charge paid in the bill, believe them or not, you decide. The portions for some things particularly the pastas might be a little too modern in the very small department. You can't even buy a basic drinking water for under 50 or 60 baht.

However, many people feel they have the best Italian style (crispy thin crust) pizza in town and they may be right. Also I had the best eggplant parm I've had in Thailand there.

On the extra cheese charge, I'm not really bothered. I think offering one cheese is standard. It wouldn't surprise me if asking for an extra cheese usually incurs a charge at most local places. As someone who buys it in the markets here, I KNOW it is VERY expensive.

BTW, my current fave Italian place also clearly states on their menu, one cheese gratis, extra is charged.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608166-the-hit-and-run-restaurant-review-thread/page-6#entry6024377

LaBocca has not been plus plus for quite some time. There is no service charge added. Yes, water is 50 baht.

LaBocca has not been plus plus for quite some time. There is no service charge added. Yes, water is 50 baht.

For real? Thanks for the update. I had stopped going and that was one of the reasons. Not the only reason. I will go to plus plus places if I really want their food, unlike some.

Also, I forget. Are they adding TAX to the prices on the menu or not?

Edited by Jingthing

You can't even buy a basic drinking water for under 50 or 60 baht.

So it's basically just a complete rip-off.

Perhaps also worth adding that lasagne is an extremely cheap dish to make, apart from the single expensive ingredient (cheese) of which not much is actually needed. Unless of course they make it with imported beef and using pasta hand-rolled on the thighs of a virgin, which I suspect they dont.

Edited by BlackPuddingBertha

You can't even buy a basic drinking water for under 50 or 60 baht.So it's basically just a complete rip-off.Perhaps also worth adding that lasagne is an extremely cheap dish to make, apart from the single expensive ingredient (cheese) of which not much is actually needed. Unless of course they make it with imported beef and using pasta hand-rolled on the thighs of a virgin, which I suspect they dont.
You might say that but the food is good.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect App

Grana Padana is the top brand of parmesan cheese from Italy. A small block of it, barely enough for a pasta dinner for 4 - is 150 baht in Makro. I'm not surprised they ask extra. Yes they could put it on the price of food, but then those who don't want so much cheese have to pay more for their food. Of course I'd like cheese to be cheap here, but we're in Thailand, and this stuff is only made in Italy, needs to be transported cold (frozen?) and in any case is expensive stuff also in Europe. Enjoy that it's available here at all. [url=

Don;t know about that particular cheese but I;ve found chesses like Camambert and Brie as well as your regular cheddars to be very cheap in Vietnam where they also import it.

There are many places in Pattaya that are a lot more expensive than Labocca!

Quite possibly, but I dont go to them either!

I've never paid more than 30B for water here.

I don't begrudge the cost of water served up in beautiful hand make Venetian glass.

(with ice, air conditioning, table cloth, professional service, breakage, depreciation, insurance, rent, licensing and a return on investment)

It's fun to treat myself to some nice atmosphere and food occasionally.

Compared to back home the prices here are peanuts.

The other day, at Danoong, I had a plate of awful 100Bt. spaghetti, a 20 Bt. a bottle of water and very bitter service for cheap but I won't be back.

• Like 1

For real? Thanks for the update. I had stopped going and that was one of the reasons. Not the only reason. I will go to plus plus places if I really want their food, unlike some.

Also, I forget. Are they adding TAX to the prices on the menu or not?

The tax/VAT is included in the menu price. My large pizza was 320 baht, water - 50 baht. Total 370 baht. The tip is at your discretion. I really like the pizza. Their salads are huge but pricey. If you order lasagna or a main dish you get complimentary bread and hors d'oeuvres (unlike Pan Pan). I forgot if the menu is in Russian but the Russians don't seem to dine there unlike many Jomtien eateries. I don't view this restaurant as a tourist trap.

Been there once - good place to eat but not great. Owner is very defendsive even with constructive criticism (check out their TripAdvisor postings). Advise to the owner: the expat community is what keep most businesses alive especially during low season.

Edited by whatchamacallit

Been there once - good place to eat but not great. Owner is very defensive even with constructive criticism (check out their TripAdvisor postings). Once advice to the owner: the expat community is what keep most business alive especially during low season.

Yes I noticed the active posting on tripadvisor. Anyway, if its true that they have dropped the forced service charge that might indicate a management that is sensitive to criticism and that's not so bad. I doubt they'll lower their price on water though! Another funny thing is their delivery charge. It is set and it is very high. Even if you live two minutes away.

But I don't consider them a ripoff. They serve good food and the prices are on the menu. Eat there or don't.

On the tourist trap charge, again they aren't trapping anyone, there are scores of restaurants in the area to choose from. In that area it may be the majority of their customers are tourists but that's just the nature of the neighborhood.

Edited by Jingthing

Been there once - good place to eat but not great. Owner is very defensive even with constructive criticism (check out their TripAdvisor postings). Once advice to the owner: the expat community is what keep most business alive especially during low season.

Yes I noticed the active posting on tripadvisor. Anyway, if its true that they have dropped the forced service charge that might indicate a management that is sensitive to criticism and that's not so bad. I doubt they'll lower their price on water though! Another funny thing is their delivery charge. It is set and it is very high. Even if you live two minutes away.

But I don't consider them a ripoff. They serve good food and the prices are on the menu. Eat there or don't.

On the tourist trap charge, again they aren't trapping anyone, there are scores of restaurants in the area to choose from. In that area it may be the majority of their customers are tourists but that's just the nature of the neighborhood.

Maybe tourist trap is too strong a phrase but a lot of the restaurants in the area survive just because of their location n- on the main road and next to big hotels.

I agree that the food isn't bad and enjoyed their eggplant lasagna when they opened. But compared to many places in Bangkok and even in Pattaya, it is just not good value for money. I know the rent is expensive but there are other places nearby that must have similar rent and seem to offer better deals For example, though it is not the greatest French restaurant in the world, the French-Thai cozy diner just down the road seems to offer cheaper choices that are still filling.