Taxi To Airport, Cheaper Than 800 Baht?

flip

the word is out , any Thai can still operate a taxi, license or not as long as they do not undercut the fixed prices ...so we are all screwed ..i think in the west its called price fixing / collusion and is illegal ...but not in Phuket its called business ... but the clock is ticking.. all good things must come to an end.....

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's be very clear - members CANNOT advertise on the open forum.

Stevenl is offering his services. Isn't that advertising to a degree?

No, not really. Somebody asked for something, I can do that for him, but am not running a taxi service nor do I want to run a taxi service.

You need to remember it's one way for you but two ways for the driver and the time is doubled with the same traffic aggravation. And they can't just sit there waiting for a person going back.

My fiancee drives my friends for 700B one way and makes nothing on the return. Usually is tipped too. PM me and I'll check with her to see of she's available.

Maybe its just me but the OP wanted a taxi ( 6$ ) less than he was quoted and it creates reply after reply . I wonder if we would devote such time if we were back in Farangland and a taxi to the airport was 4 quid more than I wanted to pay. Or even go onto a internet forum to try and get a lift from someone else who was going nearby ??

Just a question .

Maybe its just me but the OP wanted a taxi ( 6$ ) less than he was quoted and it creates reply after reply . I wonder if we would devote such time if we were back in Farangland and a taxi to the airport was 4 quid more than I wanted to pay. Or even go onto a internet forum to try and get a lift from someone else who was going nearby ??

Just a question .

My home is Perth, Western Austrlia, 2 years ago a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport cost approx 1000 baht

This is a registered taxi that can pick up fares anywhere and does not have to return to the airport for the next fare

Why do people complain about the cost of hired transport here when it takes 2 hours to do a airport run

Surely if they live or stay here legally they can afford the 800/1000 baht fare

Just a question .

My home is Perth, Western Austrlia, 2 years ago a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport cost approx 1000 baht

This is a registered taxi that can pick up fares anywhere and does not have to return to the airport for the next fare

Why do people complain about the cost of hired transport here when it takes 2 hours to do a airport run

Probably because they are not using a meter here! or at least the non-metered ones aren't. And if you haven't noticed, Thais don't make the big bucks you make back in Perth.

There is no way i would take anyone to the airport from Rawai for 800 baht about 2 hours there and back

I have taken friends to the airport free of charge, it also gives the vehicle a good run

Would you be prepared to let members know when you are going to the airport again to take a friend and allow someone to jump in for 500 baht?

Edited by NamKangMan

Just a question .

I see your point, but what "baht figure" would it take for you to try to arrange alternative transport. If all the taxis collude, which they do now, and set the price at 2000 baht, would you try to organise a lift?

I'm sure you can afford 2000 baht, so can I, but at what stage do you refuse to have the "piss taken out of you" and say enough is enough?

Maybe for the OP, they are at that stage now. Another member stated a two and a half hour journey from Pattaya to Swampy is 800 baht. I know this to be a fact as well, from the last time I went to Pattaya. So, the journey is over double the time/kilometres, but the price the same. That's double the "rip off factor" for an Airport taxi on Phuket.

The fares are only going to keep going up, and up, so, nothing wrong with looking at an alternative, if not for now, definately in the future. Why support the transport mafia here????

Edited by NamKangMan

There is no way i would take anyone to the airport from Rawai for 800 baht about 2 hours there and back

I have taken friends to the airport free of charge, it also gives the vehicle a good run

Would you be prepared to let members know when you are going to the airport again to take a friend and allow someone to jump in for 500 baht?

NO i would not,i am happy to take friends and neighbors if they are stuck for transport at no charge

There are some members i know who i would do the same thing for as well

Most people on this forum are anonymous and i do not know them and i would not operate a taxi business for them at any price

Just a question .

I see your point, but what "baht figure" would it take for you to try to arrange alternative transport. If all the taxis collude, which they do now, and set the price at 2000 baht, would you try to organise a lift?

I'm sure you can afford 2000 baht, so can I, but at what stage do you refuse to have the "piss taken out of you" and say enough is enough?

Maybe for the OP, they are at that stage now. Another member stated a two and a half hour journey from Pattaya to Swampy is 800 baht. I know this to be a fact as well, from the last time I went to Pattaya. So, the journey is over double the time/kilometres, but the price the same. That's double the "rip off factor" for an Airport taxi on Phuket.

The fares are only going to keep going up, and up, so, nothing wrong with looking at an alternative, if not for now, definately in the future. Why support the transport mafia here????

You can always go to phuket town and catch the airport bus that will save you money but not time

depends what is more important to you

This suggestion is just rediculous ...

1) what are the chances that one member happens to be going out to the airport even remotely in the same time frame as another member.

2) would you even have space in your vehicle.

3) would you go out of your way to pick up someone you have no idea would be there.

Please get real folks ...

The taxis from pattaya to swampy are now 1000thb at all desks . The 800thb days are gone. Pluse remember he was paid around a 1000thb to get there from swampy. So he actually gets 2000thb ( less the commisions they have to pay to the taxi desks) for the round trip. Here rawai round trip to airport he receives 800thb. As they cannot pick up a return journey. So in effect you pay for the return journey although your not in the cab.

Just a question .

Probably because they are not using a meter here! or at least the non-metered ones aren't. And if you haven't noticed, Thais don't make the big bucks you make back in Perth.

There is a big difference in the cost of living here compared to perth, if you have not noticed

The meter taxi drvers can make a good living,also as Jimi has already said if you ask them they will give you there own business

card and pick you up from your home for a trip to the airport just give them 24 hours notice

1) what are the chances that one member happens to be going out to the airport even remotely in the same time frame as another member.

3) would you go out of your way to pick up someone you have no idea would be there.

Why so rediculous. Stevel has just arranged to give someone a lift. Pretty easy to organise.

Edited by NamKangMan

Just a question .

There is a big difference in the cost of living here compared to perth, if you have not noticed

The meter taxi drvers can make a good living,also as Jimi has already said if you ask them they will give you there own business

card and pick you up from your home for a trip to the airport just give them 24 hours notice

Why do you think the "metered taxis" don't actually use the meter on Phuket, like they do pretty much all over Thailand, and in Perth? smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Why so rediculous. Stevel has just arranged to give someone a lift. Pretty easy to organise.

Why dont you ask him if he will take you to the airport

The taxis from pattaya to swampy are now 1000thb at all desks . The 800thb days are gone. Pluse remember he was paid around a 1000thb to get there from swampy. So he actually gets 2000thb ( less the commisions they have to pay to the taxi desks) for the round trip. Here rawai round trip to airport he receives 800thb. As they cannot pick up a return journey. So in effect you pay for the return journey although your not in the cab.

So I can go up to the airport from Rawaii and do a bit of plane spotting and get returned home? Or vias versa. I can go from the airport and duck down to Nai Harn for a few snaps and the driver will happily return me? Edited by IrishIvan

@ petercallen

Another member posted that we should organise our own transport service. I was just boucing idea about it.

Why not have a thread where a member can post he is going to the airport to do a pick up, or drop off, at a certain time and date. If this fits into someone's time frame, they can PM them.

I'm not suggesting anyone act as a taxi, just offer a lift, because they are going to the airport anyway. I don't expect anything for free, so would give a few baht for their trouble.

• Like 1

I have always paid the meter rate, and i think Jimi has to

Maybe they don't like you NKM that can make a big difference

Do you think if we took a survey of ALL people who use the "metered taxis" from Phuket Airport - what percentage would say the driver actually used the meter?

I don't want, or need, the driver to like me. I need him to do his job, and thiat is, drive the taxi with the meter on, just like in the rest of Thailand.

Edited by NamKangMan

A little off topic, but I spoke to some friends recently that will be arriving soon. They are staying at a very nice resort, in Kata, or it could be Karon, I forget. Anyway, they told me that the hotel/resort looks after ALL your transport needs, from airport transfers, to drop off and pick up from Bangla Road etc etc - no extra charge. It's included in your room price.

Has anyone else heard of this sort of deal? I thought they were mistaken, but they assure me that's what they are getting.

Pattaya to Suvsrnbumi 800 Baht, bet that sticks in the throat of Phuketianians

yes it does. Especially the Chalongians of Phuket. The whining in Chalong about a few baht can be heard over the whining of the jet engines at PIA

See if you can hear this. I hate getting ripped off, and every time anyone gets in a phuket taxi thats whats happening to them! Its more tuk tuks that I hate but its because of them that somchai with a car and a taxi signs price is in the same ball park and taxi meters wont turn on the meter. Why should I have to pay at least double the price or more than anywhere else in Thailand every time i get into a taxi? A taxi driver is an unskilled job so why should they be able to earn a really good wage (for Thailand generally) at my expense, by price fixing and overcharging when there are regular honest Thais who have spent years at university to get a half decent job or have skilled trades who don't make as much. Ive got no objection to taxi drivers earning decent money, but they should do it by driving all day and taking lots of fares, not by sitting in a sala with a can of chang watching tv on the roadside and refusing to move for less than 200 bahts to go 50 metres. Its my main gripe with Phuket. Rant over and I dedicate it to IrishIvan.

• Like 1

I think we should start our own forum taxi service.

Easy to do:

1. A list of members with cars, SUVs or pickups.

2. The members' location and availability.

3. No real names or registration numbers published.

4. TV would start a forum for requests, offers, recommendations, thanks, etc.

5. We can decide on our own price list from the various locations (e.g. at about 1/2 the Mafia fare)

6. Free sticker for the windscreen, such as: attachicon.giftaxi4.JPG (Optional)

This could be our own, completely anonymous, "Farang taxi club".

Waddya think?

attachicon.gifyes nod.gif or attachicon.gifno.gif

7. A list of people willing to take them food in the Immigration Detention Center

It's nice that we as farange's are trying to "save" money here, but Thais need to make a survivable living. For my lady to get her taxi license to accommodate people is more expensive to them than you think. Not including the wear and tear on the car plus gas expenses. I don't have exact numbers but the taxi license was several thousand baht and they need a more expensive 1st class insurance around 30,000B and also need to have a bond which is usually. So 800B is not unreasonable. Even if they charge 500-700B per person it still is not unreasonable.

You are also trying to save a few baht at their expense. If doing it off the record so to speak, if they get caught they get fined. And after a few trips, someone at the airport is going to spot them and report them just to protect their own business. It's not worth it to take that chance. It is why we only take friends and people we know because we can say they are friends and there's nothing much that they can do about it. I was going to suggest to her to "help" out because I know she really needs the money right now would help start a business so she can take care of herself and not rely on me. The though of having her ask for 500B a person per trip has crossed my mind.

You also need to consider that traffic situation is only going to get worse due to the construction in several places and accidents always screw it up too, so better plan on leaving two hours before your plane leaves and not insisting on one hour pickups anymore.

With this said maybe one should reconsider their thoughts on the subject.

• Like 1

Anyone who thinks the cost of going to the airport is expensive should stand at the side of a main

where it is safe for vehicles to stop with a cardboard sign saying they need a lift to the airport

There is a good chance someone will feel sorry for you and give you a free lift if going that way

If not there are plenty of meter taxis returning to the airport for there next job who will happily

take you to the airport at meter rates

Problem solved

Anyone who thinks the cost of going to the airport is expensive should stand at the side of a main

where it is safe for vehicles to stop with a cardboard sign saying they need a lift to the airport

There is a good chance someone will feel sorry for you and give you a free lift if going that way

If not there are plenty of meter taxis returning to the airport for there next job who will happily

Problem solved

While 800 Baht may not be "expensive", it's still a 60% increase from the 500 Baht I paid six months ago...

Problem solved

While 800 Baht may not be "expensive", it's still a 60% increase from the 500 Baht I paid six months ago...

How does that compare to taxi fares in California

For all the whiners there is cheaper options:

Motorbike taxi

2 seater baht busses. You should be able to get to Phuket town for 20 baht. Then 50 baht up to Bang Tao area. Very Thai style and you can report back to the forum how you are really doing Thailand

Buy a car

Or like petercallen said hold up a cardboard sign. Dont expect me to stop for you though

Or call the metered taxi company