Prison Stories

Star Dust

"In Thailand deportation doesn’t mean that you get deported because you have broken the law, or are not welcome. Not at all… It’s because of expired Visas, or work permits, or because of no

documentation at all."

"...expired Visas, or work permits, or because of no documentation at all."

You don't consider those things breaking the law?

Can you tell us why you were in jail?

Terry

Agreed, this guy seems to thinks he's nelson mandela or something because he spent a few weeks in the clink; probably for having weed or something......clap2.gif

I make it 7.5 months,and no need to belittle the man,especially as he has not said yet what he was in Jail for!

Hands up if you could as easily have served his time?

• Like 1

Interesting read, keep posting.

It just occurred to me that recently I could've been in serious trouble for overstaying for just a few days. I did so knowing full well the consequences, stupid thing to do yeah but took the risk.

The border police had a laugh when I got to the border and apologised for staying in their country illegally for a few days and joked that I just couldn't leave as Thai women are so beautiful.

Had I been stopped and searched before the border I would probably have been locked up in DC sad.png

@ Star Dust.....I still have chills after reading your OP.

I agree with you that the general tourist has no idea with what goes on behind the scenes in whatever country they visit.

Thank you for sharing with us, and I can only wish you well in your recovery from this traumatic experience. I know the nightmares will be suppressed for a while, but they will come.

Take Care.

Cheers.

Indeed +1

You are fortunate that you are young and less than a year time served can be put down to experience.

I know it might not seem like it now, but in a few years time this will be a distant memory.

So please share your stories and enjoy your liberty

• Like 1

What exactly is the OP's problem.?

Didn't read all the posts but fairly sure he's from the states

He wrote: "Finally the Austrian Embassy was allowed to pay me a visit to get the cash for the flight ticket."

an Austrian .I am not surprised.What is he complaining about?For him it was a home away from home

"but the only thing he could say in English was; “Heerro, what name you”?

If your story is true, it's remarkable "Aet" was able to learn enough English to convey such a story to you, having been working 16-hour days the whole of his time in Thailand, without any genuine exposure to westerners.

Maybe the OP can speak Thai.

I know a western guy who has been in Thai prisons (drugs offences), he came out speaking perfect Thai.

Deported at the end of his prison sentence, applied for new passport, returned immediately, still here.

Thailand doesn't really check incoming foreigners all that carefully.

one would think 9 months in jail would be a rather immersive language experience, but too many here have decided that the language is unfathomable and impossible to learn.

Ok, so let's recap: The OP was inebriated and crashed his vehicle into a 3rd party. The 3rd party suffered a physical injury.

The OP ended up in jail.

Yes, the conditions the OP reports are rather grim. However, adults that drink and drive and then injure other people should be prepared for such consequences.

Had the other person been a TVFer or a TVFer family member, I doubt there would be any sympathy.

I don't doubt for a minute some of the inhumanity and lack of professionalism cited. It cannot be justified, Unfortunately, we all know that such a situation is part of Thailand. Some people are quite prepared to accept such conditions. I'm not and don't think the conditions while in custody are acceptable. Again, unfortunately, that is the way it is in most of the world. The only way to avoid such treatement is;

1. Don't drive drunk and crash injuring someone in Thailand or,

2. Stay in Austria where the prison conditions are better so that the next time you are drunk and hit someone, you have a nicer stay.

The guy is sharing his experiences. He knows he did wrong & I'm sure he doesn't need you to remind him of that. Let us enjoy the thread before you put him off posting.

That's what ProphylacticKid does best!

• Like 2

Ok, so let's recap: The OP was inebriated and crashed his vehicle into a 3rd party. The 3rd party suffered a physical injury.

The OP ended up in jail.

Yes, the conditions the OP reports are rather grim. However, adults that drink and drive and then injure other people should be prepared for such consequences.

Had the other person been a TVFer or a TVFer family member, I doubt there would be any sympathy.

I don't doubt for a minute some of the inhumanity and lack of professionalism cited. It cannot be justified, Unfortunately, we all know that such a situation is part of Thailand. Some people are quite prepared to accept such conditions. I'm not and don't think the conditions while in custody are acceptable. Again, unfortunately, that is the way it is in most of the world. The only way to avoid such treatement is;

2. Stay in Austria where the prison conditions are better so that the next time you are drunk and hit someone, you have a nicer stay.

And yet a Thai law lecturer can beat the shit out of two Thai women in a public street and only pay compensation 1,000bht.

Very different circumstances. However, don't let the law get in your way.

The OP ended up in jail.

I dont see the op asking for sympathy. He admitted to his wrong doing served his time and is now sharing is story. OP pleaee keep posting

• Like 1