Prison Stories

Star Dust

Thanks again for sharing, your story is compulsive reading.. here's a youtube video taken from inside the IDC..

This cell seems somewhat under-occupied, is this expensive?

Damn, that brings some memories back. nice research, can you find more of this videos?

This is it. It's downstairs in the main yard. Right in front of that cell is the visiting area as well. There are 4 of this cells downstairs. If you look outwards of the cell, then the next cell on the left is the cell for the new arrivals. on the right a cell for the sick. Lucky, really. They had fresh air. Expensive? I doubt it had to do with money. Yes they are VERY under-occupied. I can't tell you for sure. All I know is that the 4 downstair cells were for new arrivals, soon to be deported, sick, or for fugitives who were getting extradited by their own governments. I stayed in the cell just on the right to the one in the video for a couple of ours before I got driven to the airport. I was dancing as well at that time. On the second floor above this cell is room 7. LOL, it still is an Insane Asylum.

I hope this is a good lesson for all those people who think that overstay is nothing special and can be used to extend your holiday.

It is illegal and as we read can create a lot of very serious problems.

BTW, it is not always required for the arrested overstayer to go to the Bangkok IDC.

I know several people who where arrested in Phuket for overstay and they where deported straight from Phuket Immigration prison via Phuket international airport.

Also the ticket have to go to your home country. ( maybe not always enforced )

I liked the story, forget the ramblings of the overly judgemental 'hang'em high' brigade.

I liked the story also, and want to know more. As for the "hang 'em high" brigade...you get empathy in the "character building years" of your youth, or not...coffee1.gif

How do you know he is a youth? And driving drunk, causing an accident builds your character? Edited by saakura

There are bars up in Issan "full" of illegal Laos girls working in bars,my mate who is a self confessed addicted monger says they only recieve a small amount and the bar gets the rest. Surely a full government clamp down and the already overcrowded detention centers would be unworkable.

Thanks for sharing a story that most of us will hopefully never experience.

I liked the story, forget the ramblings of the overly judgemental 'hang'em high' brigade.

I liked the story also, and want to know more. As for the "hang 'em high" brigade...you get empathy in the "character building years" of your youth, or not...

How do you know he is a youth? And driving drunk, causing an accident builds your character?

No but learning from the mistakes one makes during ones life certainly does.

Nice reading with one load of exaggerations, just two things (purely math by the way...):

15x4 cell with 134 inmates leaves a square per inmate of 66cm side length... that’s about the width of your shoulders... and that does not include the separate room, the water tank and the toilets the OP talks about... so basically just impossible that anybody ever lays down or walk around too much, as those 134 inmates will be squeezed together like in a cramped rock concert...

And then assuming the cell is 4m high (without window, only one door that opens from time to time...), so has minimal influx of fresh air... that gives approximately 240 cubic meter of air. Air has approx 21% oxygen and a human in a (airtight) room will breath approx 1m3 of air per 4 hours until the CO2 saturation will be too high to stay conscious... so calculating that, it would take approx 8 hours (240m3 / 134 = 2m3 = 2x4h) and all inmates would be unconscious (not taking into account that the CO2 settles towards the floor and thus, the time remaining is lower).

• Like 2

Nice reading with one load of exaggerations, just two things (purely math by the way...):

15x4 cell with 134 inmates leaves a square per inmate of 66cm side length... that’s about the width of your shoulders... and that does not include the separate room, the water tank and the toilets the OP talks about... so basically just impossible that anybody ever lays down or walk around too much, as those 134 inmates will be squeezed together like in a cramped rock concert...

And then assuming the cell is 4m high (without window, only one door that opens from time to time...), so has minimal influx of fresh air... that gives approximately 240 cubic meter of air. Air has approx 21% oxygen and a human in a (airtight) room will breath approx 1m3 of air per 4 hours until the CO2 saturation will be too high to stay conscious... so calculating that, it would take approx 8 hours (240m3 / 134 = 2m3 = 2x4h) and all inmates would be unconscious (not taking into account that the CO2 settles towards the floor and thus, the time remaining is lower).

Not only are your calculations boring, they, like your cheese, have lots of holes in.

The overwhelming majority of the cheese does NOT have holes in it whistling.gif

Not only are your calculations boring, they, like your cheese, have lots of holes in.

The overwhelming majority of the cheese does NOT have holes in it whistling.gif

I like critical thinking and investigation like this. Perhaps OP just had size wrong in his mind. I doubt the rooms are ISO specs.

As for air? maybe vents?

Naturally given the history of the internet and humanity it's a possible fabricated or highly embellished story.

Why not let people poke at it for accuracy? and as that would help it's credibility.

It's a great read because it's well expressed and of course it could await anyone living in Thailand for simply getting in a jam or having bad luck.

Fascinating and humbling stuff.

The Guy the OP mentioned that helps people in IDC with money transfer and do other important stuff is a friend of mine, his name is Cosmos, and he is originally from Ghana. He works with a catholic priest that sees to welfare of detainees. He also goes out of his way to do other things asked of him.

I have visited people in IDC once or twice, its not one of best activities in BKK. Prison visits are more organised.

Thank you. Say hello for me when you see him.He probably won't remember me of course, but that's ok.

Star Dust - have you considered writing a book about this experience?I would ask if I could be your agent, but wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Not a bad idea. Lots of Bangkok Hilton books but no IDC ones that I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I can't say I've stopped drinking. I'm still occasionally drinking alcohol if there is a good reason for it. But I'm "HELL NO" driving even a tricycle after having any alcoholic beverage to drink.

If anyone tells you that: "Yeah, but many people drive drunk in Thailand, even the Thais, just pay a fine and drive home", then tell them my story.

If you injure anyone while driving under the influence the sentence could be anywhere between 6 month, or 3 years in prison. If you kill anyone while driving under the influence the sentence is 5 years in prison. If you got a lot of money, you might get a chance to pay yourself out of it.

I don't blame you, though it was likely the punching of the cop that was the real kicker.

All the best.

Star Dust - have you considered writing a book about this experience?

I would ask if I could be your agent, but wouldn't have a clue where to start.

I need a job anyways sometime soon. I thought about writing a book about it, too. Especially deportation. But in order to add "enough" content to it, it should contain information about court laws, prisons, the pest way to "stay well" in prison if sentenced, and so on.

It's about time that the average tourist gets a chance to know the truth. More importantly I have asked myself how long the Thai

Government intends to keep running places like IDC in the future.

Well, first my agent would need to find someone who would approve publish such a book.

What do you think would be a suitable title for it?

Edited by metisdead
: Reply repaired.