Prison Stories

Star Dust

"In Thailand deportation doesn’t mean that you get deported because you have broken the law, or are not welcome. Not at all… It’s because of expired Visas, or work permits, or because of no

documentation at all."

"...expired Visas, or work permits, or because of no documentation at all."

You don't consider those things breaking the law?

Can you tell us why you were in jail?

Terry

No Terry, I don't consider those things breaking the law. But the immigration police does. In IDC were tourists detained under conditions you possibly can't imagine for overstaying their Visas for just a day or two. The Deportation Process in Thailand is like that. Yeah, if you overstay and go pay for that, then that's fine, but if you get arrested on an overstay, they will send you to IDC.

In my case I did time because I caused a traffic accident under the influence where a Thai guy broke his pinky. I offered enough money to compensate, but apparently that wasn't enough, so at the end I just refused to pay. I deserved doing time, don't get me wrong. After nine times attending court I was sentenced to freedom because the court got tired of me, an by that time I've stayed already longer in prison, then my sentence would have been. I walked out the front gate of the Kho Samui Deprtment of Corrections and was greeted by the immigration police and a pair of hancuffs. My Visa ran out while I was in prison. That's why I got deported.

if you dont considere them a crime, go and do it again then.

But you will not will you, thats because the system worked, thats why your on here writing about it, because it shook you to the core.

so in a sense your complaining about a system that worked.

you say you offered enough money to compensate, you dont screw up and get to choose the price,sheesh.

still they could of just sent you home

A system that worked? What kind of a drone are you?

• Like 2

Interesting read. I just got out of 'Phiset Thonburi' in December, having served 14 months of a 16 and a half month sentence. I was supposed to be picked up by police upon release and taken to IDC for deportation based on my offense, but come release day no-one was there. My elation was indescribable. I went home and spent 6 days with my wife. After speaking with my Embassy we decided the best course of action was to turn myself in to IDC and get deported for visa overstay (expired while I was inside), allowing me to avoid being blacklisted.

I can speak Thai well, almost fluently. It helped a LOT. There were only a handful of English-speaking prisoners out of thousands in my building. While I was there an Irishman was there briefly for 2 days (stole a jackhammer while drunk) and an Englishman for about 10 days (marijuana possession). Otherwise I was the only white westerner there during my time. I hate that I put my families (my wife was sentenced too) through such stress and worry, but it was an interesting experience that I coped well with all in all and found a lot of positives in. I'm thinking about writing about my experience further, but I'm undecided about whether I'd rather just move on or not.

p.s. here's a story. A ladyboy spent a whole week at Thonburi women's prison before turning himself/herself in and being sent to the men's prison. Amazing!

Looks like the wife ( Thai i pressume ) got out of jail before you, if that's the case and it was for the same offence how does that work? Women get shorter sentences?

Sentenced the same, received amnesty the same (just over 2 months), but she benefited from the 'wan lot' and got out 12 days before me. Foreigners can't receive a reduction that way, nor by 'phak thawt'.

Two questions :

What do the terms "wan lot" and "phak thawt" mean? Reduction of sentence for good behaviour or something similar?

Also Fauxie do you mind sharing the reason for your and your wife's original incarceration? Later in the thread you refer to informants etc which sounds worthy of an explanation, as it might make interesting reading - unless of course you'd rather not.

Sent from my iPad-mini.

Interesting read. I just got out of 'Phiset Thonburi' in December, having served 14 months of a 16 and a half month sentence. I was supposed to be picked up by police upon release and taken to IDC for deportation based on my offense, but come release day no-one was there. My elation was indescribable. I went home and spent 6 days with my wife. After speaking with my Embassy we decided the best course of action was to turn myself in to IDC and get deported for visa overstay (expired while I was inside), allowing me to avoid being blacklisted.

I can speak Thai well, almost fluently. It helped a LOT. There were only a handful of English-speaking prisoners out of thousands in my building. While I was there an Irishman was there briefly for 2 days (stole a jackhammer while drunk) and an Englishman for about 10 days (marijuana possession). Otherwise I was the only white westerner there during my time. I hate that I put my families (my wife was sentenced too) through such stress and worry, but it was an interesting experience that I coped well with all in all and found a lot of positives in. I'm thinking about writing about my experience further, but I'm undecided about whether I'd rather just move on or not.

p.s. here's a story. A ladyboy spent a whole week at Thonburi women's prison before turning himself/herself in and being sent to the men's prison. Amazing!

Looks like the wife ( Thai i pressume ) got out of jail before you, if that's the case and it was for the same offence how does that work? Women get shorter sentences?

Sentenced the same, received amnesty the same (just over 2 months), but she benefited from the 'wan lot' and got out 12 days before me. Foreigners can't receive a reduction that way, nor by 'phak thawt'.

Two questions :

What do the terms "wan lot" and "phak thawt" mean? Reduction of sentence for good behaviour or something similar?

Also Fauxie do you mind sharing the reason for your and your wife's original incarceration? Later in the thread you refer to informants etc which sounds worthy of an explanation, as it might make interesting reading - unless of course you'd rather not.

Sent from my iPad-mini.

I just happen to be online, so I can answer one of your questions now.

"wan lot" refers to the two days of the year when amnesty is granted to prisoners. One is on the King's Birthday, one is on the Queens Birthday. Amnesty means getting a reduction of your sentence. That could be days, weeks, or month, but almost never years of your sentence. Drug cases always get none or a very small amnesty, but that must not always be the case. It depends on good behaviour, and snitching of course. These two days are the days of excitment in prison.

"phak thot" means forgiveness. In prison it refers to the King's Pardon. "phak thot" given to a prisoner means imidiate release. Well, with that being said that could be anytime within 12 month in Thailand.

As to your second question I'm eager to know why he got nicked as well. But since a snitch was involved who set him and his girl up, I don't think he's very keen on telling. We'll see

• Like 1

You know, I can't even remember what 'wan lot' is, but it's not the amnesty. It's something extra, but only Thais can receive it. Possibly to do with your 'level' (bad, normal, good, v.good, excellent), which can get you a certain number of days sentence reduction per month (e.g. 3/month for normal, 4 for good, 5 for very good etc,). Yep, I think that was it. Anyway, it's not all that important now. 'Phak thawt' is similar to the amnesties, but involves a background check and conditions if on the back of it you're released early. Like parole. It's for first-time offenders only and for sentences of 2 (or 2 and a half, I forget) years and up.

Ok, done that. Now I'll reply directly to your posts.

• Like 1

The British Embassy had told me while I was inside that my blacklist would last 3-5 years, that I should start asking if I could come back after 2 or 3 years, plead my case and see what happens. As it was I apparently wasn't blacklisted. I didn't stay at IDC. I went to the offices nearby one morning and turned myself in, though they already knew I was coming since the Embassy had spoken to them about what I should do and when. I was basically allowed a few days with my family first, which was pretty cool, though was told to stay home and not go anywhere. So I went in the morning, did paperwork with a few others, went off to court at Thonburi, before coming back and going inside IDC but just waiting downstairs in a visitor area for a couple of hours before being driven to the airport. I left my prison release papers with my wife at home lol! What I have with me is a letter about my deportation, along with stuff in my passport about deportation, but nothing about a criminal charge.

delete, delete, delete (on second thoughts, not posting everything here).

In short, drug case. Not really major. Got 16 and a half months. Typically from what I later saw of similar cases it merited 8 months to a year at absolute most.

My story would make for interesting reading if written out in full. I have diaries - (4 exercises book's worth lol). I just can't post all that here. Especially not now.

• Like 2

"In Thailand deportation doesn’t mean that you get deported because you have broken the law, or are not welcome. Not at all… It’s because of expired Visas, or work permits, or because of no

documentation at all."

"...expired Visas, or work permits, or because of no documentation at all."

You don't consider those things breaking the law?

Can you tell us why you were in jail?

Terry

No Terry, I don't consider those things breaking the law. But the immigration police does. In IDC were tourists detained under conditions you possibly can't imagine for overstaying their Visas for just a day or two. The Deportation Process in Thailand is like that. Yeah, if you overstay and go pay for that, then that's fine, but if you get arrested on an overstay, they will send you to IDC.

In my case I did time because I caused a traffic accident under the influence where a Thai guy broke his pinky. I offered enough money to compensate, but apparently that wasn't enough, so at the end I just refused to pay. I deserved doing time, don't get me wrong. After nine times attending court I was sentenced to freedom because the court got tired of me, an by that time I've stayed already longer in prison, then my sentence would have been. I walked out the front gate of the Kho Samui Deprtment of Corrections and was greeted by the immigration police and a pair of hancuffs. My Visa ran out while I was in prison. That's why I got deported.

if you dont considere them a crime, go and do it again then.

But you will not will you, thats because the system worked, thats why your on here writing about it, because it shook you to the core.

so in a sense your complaining about a system that worked.

you say you offered enough money to compensate, you dont screw up and get to choose the price,sheesh.

still they could of just sent you home

Several years ago Stickman reported being caught up in a drag net and with a recently expired

visa.

His description of his experience was chilling and he warned readers to take visa validity seriously.

About IDC, I too heard from people first-hand how it was better than prison, allowed more freedom and had better conditions. My Embassy told me it's worse than prison, without a doubt, and the look on the lady's face when she said it left me quite certain I didn't want to spend too much time there. As it was, I never saw a cell, and the area where I waited prior to deportation was clean and pleasant enough. There was something about it, though, that made me feel like I never wanted to have to stay there. It gave me a worse feeling than the prison I'd just been in and I can't put my finger on why. Maybe it was just that the prison I'd been in was familiar to me. Maybe I would have similarly adjusted to IDC, but I don't think it's just that. Maybe having women and children there made it seem more sad and desperate. I don't know.

You know, I can't even remember what 'wan lot' is, but it's not the amnesty. It's something extra, but only Thais can receive it. Possibly to do with your 'level' (bad, normal, good, v.good, excellent), which can get you a certain number of days sentence reduction per month (e.g. 3/month for normal, 4 for good, 5 for very good etc,). Yep, I think that was it. Anyway, it's not all that important now. 'Phak thawt' is similar to the amnesties, but involves a background check and conditions if on the back of it you're released early. Like parole. It's for first-time offenders only and for sentences of 2 (or 2 and a half, I forget) years and up.

Yeah, do you remember those prisoners working for the guards, having a little bit of authority within prison. Those guys for example. The levels are added up. They explained it to me, but I can't remember the details exactly. One of them helped me getting work in the prison factory making fishing nets. I did that out of boredom. It was well paid, though. I got 80 Baht a month.

• Like 1

Yeah, do you remember those prisoners working for the guards, having a little bit of authority within prison. Those guys for example. The levels are added up. They explained it to me, but I can't remember the details exactly. One of them helped me getting work in the prison factory making fishing nets. I did that out of boredom. It was well paid, though. I got 80 Baht a month.

80 Baht a month? Nice lol. I was an English teacher, supposedly anyway, but I only got into that so I could stay in that building. Most of the time I folded paper bags with young Muslim friends, just to pass the time. Or sang songs with guys playing acoustic guitars. Going to sing and upload to youtube some Thai ones written by inmates in future smile.png

Edited by fauxie

80 Baht a month? Nice lol. I was an English teacher, supposedly anyway, but I only got into that so I could stay in that building. Most of the time I folded paper bags with young Muslim friends, just to pass the time. Or sang songs with guys playing acoustic guitars. Going to sing and upload to youtube some Thai ones written by inmates in future smile.png

Yeah, we had an English teacher as well. He is in for possesion/selling ICE and Ya Bah. They called him Adjarn Kai Yah.

He came up with this coffee routine everyday. When it was time to get locked up in the cell at 4 p.m. we did a coffee and cookie braek in the cell. We were (more or less) about 25 in the Foreigner Cell shouting at the top of our voices; "Ohh MY FRIEND, ITS COFFEEEETIIIIIME. Sometimes even the Thai prisoners joined in. It could be heard ouside of the prison walls as well. The prison Director once warned us to keep it the f-down you crazy farangs, cause the entire neighbourhood could hear us.

I found myself sitting in a Bangkok Restaurant some 2 month ago at exactly 5 p.m. raising my coffecup, shouting Ohh MY FRIENDS, ITS COFFEETIME.

Sharing the youtube links is a must.

Sounds like a load of crap.

I was held at the IDC (Immigration detention centre) in Bangkok.

After processing, I shared a cell with about 60 others. There is a "cell leader" who is designated spokesperson for the cell and is in charge. All communications to the authorities must go through them. He gets a single room inside the main larger cell. To supplement his income, he will let you sleep in his cell for 100 Baht a day.

Everyone is supposed to clean the toilets, but, if you don't want to, you can pay 100 Baht a month to the African detainees who usually clean the toilets and showers. The toilets and showers were always spotless. You could have eaten a meal off the floor it was so clean.

There were three meals a day, Thai food, which wasn't great, but, better than expected. If you didn't want this, you could get outside Thai food brought in at 30 Baht a meal.

Many of the detainees had stayed in other prisons before coming to the Bangkok IDC and the consensus was that this was the best prison that they had been in.

I think the OP is full of BS.

You must be a little bit dim-witted to think that anyone could make up such a story with so much horrific detail?Looking at your posting history does nothing to dispel that sentiment!

• Like 2

80 baht a month does sound well-paid,compared to the average TEFLer in Thailand!laugh.png

• Like 1

80 baht a month does sound well-paid,compared to the average TEFLer in Thailand!laugh.png

This 80 Baht bought meself some cookies for me COFFEETIME routine. OHH MY FRIEND ITS COFFEETIME.

My fingertips start to hurt though everytime I see a fishing net. post-fishing-net-trauma Muahaha...

I have a TFNFSL...Teaching Fishing Net as Foreign Slave Labour

• Like 1

This 80 Baht bought meself some cookies for me COFFEETIME routine. OHH MY FRIEND ITS COFFEETIME.

My fingertips start to hurt though everytime I see a fishing net. post-fishing-net-trauma Muahaha...

I have a TFNFSL...Teaching Fishing Net as Foreign Slave Labour

I did have visions of the Thai inmates singing along...Oooohhh my fliend,it copy tieeeeeeee!!!laugh.png

• Like 1

Sounds like a load of crap.

I was held at the IDC (Immigration detention centre) in Bangkok.

After processing, I shared a cell with about 60 others. There is a "cell leader" who is designated spokesperson for the cell and is in charge. All communications to the authorities must go through them. He gets a single room inside the main larger cell. To supplement his income, he will let you sleep in his cell for 100 Baht a day.

Everyone is supposed to clean the toilets, but, if you don't want to, you can pay 100 Baht a month to the African detainees who usually clean the toilets and showers. The toilets and showers were always spotless. You could have eaten a meal off the floor it was so clean.

There were three meals a day, Thai food, which wasn't great, but, better than expected. If you didn't want this, you could get outside Thai food brought in at 30 Baht a meal.

Many of the detainees had stayed in other prisons before coming to the Bangkok IDC and the consensus was that this was the best prison that they had been in.

I think the OP is full of BS.

You must have booked 5 Star in IDC. What were you in for, and for how long?

Don't hide behind a wall and shout it's all BS. Enlighten us, pls.

Read this one: http://www.roadjunky.com/article/1233/immigration-jail-in-bangkok-thailand

Is that BS, too?

i did not read through all your post but his description of idc is correct, infact the link the posted yourself is similar to what he experienced. i had been there in 07 for the same stupid reason for overstaying.

• Like 1

>What do you think would be a suitable title for it?

How about "A Guy In Denial"?

lol, good one...or maybe "The Ghostrider"

The land of grimaces behind smiles

(sorry I 'm not a native English speaker)

Edited by Tchooptip

Star Dust thanks for your post. I was a much younger lad in 1970 in Mazatlan Mexico and had a somewhat similar experience with a shorter incarceration with Mexican Police and local jails and after then transferred to Mexican State Prison outside Mazatlan. The Mexican law enforcement were using alot of violent beating and of course they mace you first and then beat you. The inside of the prison was structured somewhat same with a "chain of command" and people to pay off on every level. We were fortunate that we were not busted for drugs or violent crimes, just young stupid gringo tourists had too many mezcals.

• Like 1

Reading some of these posts makes me wonder if our immigration & visa systems really benefit the Thais longer term or deliver short term gain for long term pain. Seems easier for me to go live elsewhere - like Spore or HKG - than try to change this country. Leave Thailand to the high-class farang we see posting on this site and come visit for one week each year. smile.png

I have to agree with fauxie. I met some "high class" ("wannabe - high class") in the joint.

Doesn't take much for a Farang in Thailand to get in serious trouble, since we have to walk and drive on egg shells.

But SparklingCascades has got a point. Was that not 1 or 2 years ago when the Thai Government announced that they want to promote more high class tourists to come to Thailand, and to get rid off the (dirty) backpackers, and then all the sudden the Visa regulations were changed.

Reading some of these posts makes me wonder if our immigration & visa systems really benefit the Thais longer term or deliver short term gain for long term pain. Seems easier for me to go live elsewhere - like Spore or HKG - than try to change this country. Leave Thailand to the high-class farang we see posting on this site and come visit for one week each year. smile.png

Some westerners I have met said that Thailand is much like America. More a Business, than a country.

Thank you so very much for your postings Star Dust. It is exceptionally rare that I take the time to read a thread from first to last post.

You have been through a very traumatic experience and thank you for sharing. It does give me pause for thought, when I look at the way I act in Thailand. On my last visit I booked to come to Thailand for 30 days on a 30 day visa and only had a few moments to spare. I had no idea that the penalties could be so severe. I am aware there is a sliding scale, but it has made me think twice about abusing the visa system.

Many people visit Thailand expecting to visit a land of smiles and where you can buy luxury at a substantially reduced price. Even some of the women can be purchased for pleasure. No one expects to end up in jail in a system that seems to be woefully inept in the process of letting free on your way. When you have police waiting outside of a prison to detain you again for an overstay, this seems to be unfair to put it mildly and dam_n right evil.

I do believe your story to be true in the most part. I have questions regarding the money in your underpants, surely they searched you multiple times, when you took a shower, didnt other prisoners attempt to steal your money, things of that nature.

I do think you should write a book as I think you can draw for the interest this thread has had, you have had an avid audience hanging on your every word.

Of course people are going to doubt your story but its doesnt matter, even they have followed you through your experiences and have wanted to see what happened next.

Once again, well written and a good read. Best thread on TV

• Like 1

he was in prison for drink driving ( riding ) and punching a policeman .......

come on folks WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE .....

i,ve still got a few mates in strangeways (m/chester )

and risley ( remand center ) warrington , sorry risley,s now cat 3 prison ( soft boys )

if you need a badass penpal ......