Rumour - Has Tony Sold Out To The Russians?

tropo

I heard a rumour from another gym member today that Tony has sold his gym(s) to Russians. There was a young Russian guy sitting behind the front desk the other day.

I stress that this is only a rumour at this stage, but a plausible one at that.

If it is true there is a very good chance that the lifetime memberships that over 500 people bought in August and January won't be honoured. I can't see a new owner wanting to honour them - at least not for long.

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony is dead if he does this.

Why?

IMO it would be the logical business decision for a new owner. Lifetime members don't pay the bills. They could soften the blow by giving them 2 year's grace - that's the break even point of the lifetime membership.

What would disgruntled lifetime members do? Where would they train?

There's already a big Russian presense in the gyms. I see more and more Russians training there everyday.

My experience with many Russians that show up at the couple fitness centers I have been members at is that they like to "cut in" when one is at a station or working out at a bench changing the weights instead of wairing... or to occupy three stations at the same time. Again it is a lack of people skills which seems to be in their culture at the moment. If a Russian owns Tonys, will the standards go up? (I don't think so.)

If it is true there is a very good chance that the lifetime memberships that over 500 people bought in August and January won't be honoured.

And that includes you, isn't it

Yes it does, and I went in with my eyes open and fully aware of the risks. I wouldn't cry over it.

The desk guy might just be for Russian members, they like to deal with their own people, like tours and buying condos.

That's could be the reason.

As I said, this is only a rumour and by starting this post I'm putting the feelers out.

jomtien is also "manned" by a Russian bird. customer convenience?

That's something new. How long has she been "manning" the front counter.
don't know. saw her last 3 weeks ago. they charge now 180 THB for a day. it's a bit steep for their lousy gear there. the top floor doest rule. she doesn't speak thai though, while asian looking. i'll guess she's from Kyrgyzstan or so.... according to her accent

That's something new. How long has she been "manning" the front counter.
don't know. saw her last 3 weeks ago. they charge now 180 THB for a day. it's a bit steep for their lousy gear there. the top floor doest rule. she doesn't speak thai though, while asian looking. i'll guess she's from Kyrgyzstan or so.... according to her accent

I trained there myself quite a few times last year. I've gotta say - that is one really lousy, poor excuse for a gym.

The famous Tony signs all over Pattaya with his arms crossed could be replaced with something like this, oh no!

• Dmitry's Disco
  • Dmitry's Gym
  • Dmitry's Short Time Rooms
  • Dmitry's Car Park
  • Dmitry's Sports Bar

so what's your beef about this? <deleted>? seriously? you live in a foreign country, you, yourself then etch about A is better than B. shit you want to join this crap? it will corrupt you to your lads.

in my opinion it is THE place I want to be. full stop. don't wanna be here? move your ass!

Edited by Tywais
Copyrighted image removed

The famous Tony signs all over Pattaya with his arms crossed could be replaced with something like this, oh no!

• Dmitry's Disco
  • Dmitry's Gym
  • Dmitry's Car Park
  • Dmitry's Sports Bar

so what's your beef about this? <deleted>? seriously? you live in a foreign country, you, yourself then etch about A is better than B. shit you want to join this crap? it will corrupt you to your lads.

in my opinion it is THE place I want to be. full stop. don't wanna be here? move your ass!

What's your beef? You're being a bit OTT aren't you?

If the Russians have purchased Tony's gyms they most certainly will want to rename them at some point in time.

If you bought Tony out, would you keep that name. I certainly wouldn't.

I came to live in Thailand not Mini-Moscow. There is a huge number of foreign owned business along side Thais in Pattaya and no matter if it is owned by a German, Swede, American, Brit etc. they cater to all and no one culture over shadows the other and certainly doesnt over shadow Thai culture, the Russians are going to throw out that multi-cultural soup and replace it with Borscht.
  • Like 2

How do they get work permits for such a task?

How do most of Tony's staff get work permits? He's had plenty of Burmese and Filipino staff over the years, along with other assorted nationalities. The low pay keeps them coming.

I came to live in Thailand not Mini-Moscow. There is a huge number of foreign owned business along side Thais in Pattaya and no matter if it is owned by a German, Swede, American, Brit etc. they cater to all and no one culture over shadows the other and certainly doesnt over shadow Thai culture, the Russians are going to throw out that multi-cultural soup and replace it with Borscht.
I tend to agree with you to a point. There are plenty of businesses that cater to specific non-Thai nationalities that also are dominated by their target national demographic. The thing is generally the information about them is in a Romanized language and usually also English, and sometimes also Thai so those who are attracted can definitely also participate. I do detect much less of an open attitude in the Russian targeted businesses to non-Russian speakers. How much of this is just about language and how much about really not being welcoming, well, that's for all of us to experience as Pattaya gets more and more Russian dominated.

It's also not really accurate to suggest only Russian businesses aren't welcoming to outsiders. I have actually been rather forcefully told to leave a few Korean oriented businesses here. But the difference with the Russian businesses is the Russians are on a clear path of demographic domination here, while the Koreans and others, aren't.

I do see how people will see this as a sensitive topic, of course, but on the other hand, big changes are happening in town and that includes Russian speakers EVERYWHERE.

Edited by Jingthing

Tony is almost finished his new gym on soi 11 Naklua, so this sheds doubt upon the rumor.

Not at all. Late last year he opened a new gym on Soi Buakhao. The fact that he's had two lifetime membership cash grabs in 5 months adds credibility to the rumour. New gyms just sweeten the deal for a potential buyer and makes him a lot more money.

He doesn't spend a lot of money on these new gyms. Check out Sportworld when you drive past... it's a huge, deteriorating, sun faded, bonafide plastic tent. This was a gym which was supposed to amaze us according to his pre-opening promotional speel.

Edited by tropo

• Dmitry's Disco
  • Dmitry's Gym
  • Dmitry's Car Park
  • Dmitry's Sports Bar

With topless photos of Putin.

sick.gif

Why doesn't someone just build a freakin proper gym. How hard can it be Its like they're trying to build a space station at great difficulty

Because Pattaya is flooded with cheap gyms offering yearly memberships for under 10k and 15k lifetime memberships. It's not about technology, it's about cost and good quality gym equipment is very expensive.

For example, most state of the art cardio machines cost over USD 10,000 each. So work it out... Yearly membership about 8000 baht. One cardio machine > 300,000 baht. Then of course you'd have to build the gym or lease very expensive commercial space. Then consider the cost of keeping a large gym cool in a tropical climate.

People in Pattaya would not be prepared to pay the membership fees which would be necessary to make a "proper gym" financially feasable.

I'm sorry but those kind of machines do not equate to a "proper gym"

Plenty of 'hole in the wall' gyms in bangkok for locals without that fancy cardio equipment that has been accepted as the norm these days.

And plenty of big dudes working out there.