Man Dies In Second Phuket Hit-And-Run In Two Days

webfact

Man dies in second Phuket hit-and-run in two days
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- A 21-year-old security guard from Phattalung has died after the motorcycle he was riding was struck by a car on the road from the Heroines’ Monument (map here) to Pa Khlok late last night.

He was the second person to be struck down in a hit-and-run in Phuket in two days (see story here).

Thalang Police Duty Officer Chatree Chuwichian was notified of the accident at 12:45am.

“The man’s motorcycle was in a roadside ditch. The body of Mr Jarin Weenada was lying nearby,” Sub Lt Chatree said.

Mr Jarin was still dressed in his SAM Andaman Security Service uniform.

"His body was taken to Thalang Hospital," he added.

Witnesses identified a blue Proton sedan as the hit-and-run vehicle.

“The car was seen entering the Neramit Housing Estate. where we found the car, with matching damage to the front, parked in front of a house," Sub Lt Chatree said.
"The driver was not inside the vehicle. His wife came out of the house and told us that her husband had just returned from a meeting. He parked his car in front of the house and ran away.

“She has no idea where he is," he added.

Sub Lt Chatree named the suspect driver as Chaowarot Jantarak, 38, a "New car Hire Purchase Marketing Officer" at a Phuket branch of Thanachart Bank.

"We seized his car and are now searching for him," he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Man-dies-in-second-Phuket-hit-and-run-in-two-days-20355.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-02-28

Sub Lt Chatree named the suspect driver as Chaowarot Jantarak, 38, a "New car Hire Purchase Marketing Officer" at a Phuket branch of Thanachart Bank.

Running away until the booze is out of his system?

Then turning up, full of remorse and a fat wallet?

Running away until the booze is out of his system?

Then turning up, full of remorse and a fat wallet?

And probably getting away with it as well.

what a nice culture... in stead of helping the man or calling emergencies (does that even exist in thailand?) or bringing the fella to a hospital

i guess as long as there is no law punishing severly hit and run drivers... probably drunk ...

life is cheap

be carefull on the roads

What are you guys in disbelief about? This has been "Standard Operation Procedure" forever here...

Yes in the early days here, before internet, I was actually incredulous when reading the newspaper & seeing the driver fled the scene for but then of course it was repeated over & over.

I don't condone running away but there is no justice in Thailand. Even if the motorcycle driver is 100% at fault the car owner will have to pay.

That's my worry as the motorbike takes up all available space around your car.

Eyes in the back of head needed at all time.

I would do exactly the same. There is no way I would stick around for the lynch mob to attack me. There is no instant protection for a farang thats just killed a Thai. Its better to leave the scene and sort it out a few days later when emotions arent running so high.

• Like 2

I would do exactly the same. There is no way I would stick around for the lynch mob to attack me. There is no instant protection for a farang thats just killed a Thai. Its better to leave the scene and sort it out a few days later when emotions arent running so high.

I have to agree. Even Thai friends suggest running away and go to the police station later to settle.

Sticking around only involves more people in the payout and high chance of violence. Everyone wants a slice.

• Like 1

I would as well, except that this time there seems to have been no lynch mob. BTW, few days later so the alcohol is out of your system, why not go straight to a police station?

• Like 1

I would as well, except that this time there seems to have been no lynch mob. BTW, few days later so the alcohol is out of your system, why not go straight to a police station?

because there might be a lynch mob at the station, best to leave it a few days. The price will also go down
  • Like 1

I have to agree. Even Thai friends suggest running away and go to the police station later to settle.

Sticking around only involves more people in the payout and high chance of violence. Everyone wants a slice.

Can either of you give an example of this likely violence in these situations? Not just hearsay either.

Can either of you give an example of this likely violence in these situations? Not just hearsay either.

Quite a few reports of that after an accident. After an accident afaik no reports of lynch mobs at the police station though. IMO: go to police station straight away if threatened at the scene, if not stay at the scene. If report at policestation after a few days, big indication there was something seriously wrong, like DUI etc.

because there might be a lynch mob at the station, best to leave it a few days. The price will also go down
Voice of experience speaking? 555

^ really? I think the example you gave is far from 'perfect.

Gutless and cowardly, yes.

if article is to be believed - alcohol, speed, an injured man and you'd recommend running from the scene?

Suggestion is people only irate because he tried to drive away with motorcycle under the car. Was he sure there was not a person attached to it?

“They said it seemed like Mr Potter was trying to flee the scene, that was why he tried driving away with the motorcycle still stuck under the front of his car,”

Make hit and run an Olympic event and these deviants would bring home the gold, with or without performancing enhancing stimulants such as Leo and whisky. This is a country lost in it's own manipulated culture.

More like this island, Phuket, is floundering around in the 3rd world, no public transport, corruption, abiss.

How many more years must EVERYONE suffer the withholding of the essential service, transport?

How many more must die before Phuket has what everywhere else in Thailand has, metered taxis.

Make hit and run an Olympic event and these deviants would bring home the gold, with or without performancing enhancing stimulants such as Leo and whisky. This is a country lost in it's own manipulated culture.

More like this island, Phuket, is floundering around in the 3rd world, no public transport, corruption, abiss.

How many more years must EVERYONE suffer the withholding of the essential service, transport?

How many more must die before Phuket has what everywhere else in Thailand has, metered taxis.

Typo/spelling correction - should be "abyss" :)

You drag this transport thing into every thread. Are you related to BTB/HKF? coffee1.gif

beatdeadhorse.gif

You drag this transport thing into every thread. Are you related to BTB/HKF? coffee1.gif

beatdeadhorse.gif

No, he obviously is not, BTB/HKF had opinions on many subjects here, and although not always supported by many, his ideas were well thought through.

beatdeadhorse.gif

No, he obviously is not, BTB/HKF had opinions on many subjects here, and although not always supported by many, his ideas were well thought through.

I agree, many of his posts have merit and he makes good points and takes the time to think them through. But beating that transport horse in every thread tends to detract from whatever good points he is/was making.

And NKM, sorry for the BTB comparison. That was a bit of a low blow... wai.gif