' Don't Give All Power To One Family': Thai Interview

webfact

What hypocritical tripe coming from those that represent the wealthy families that have held a monopoly grip on Thailand for centuries... more tit for tat BS.

How about a truly novel idea, a political party that represents none of the wealthy families and relies simply on people voting for them and not shady sponsors or behind the scenes power brokers? Sorry, stupid suggestion, clearly that would never work in a real democracy... let alone Thailand.

I agree! And how about the Thai people being able to vote where they live instead of having to return to their home province to vote? Or doing away with vote buying?

Really there is no problem with that at all - the voting is regulated as are most things by being registered on a Tabian Baan, so its just that many people from up country have not had their registration changed to be on a Tabian Baan at the house they live in, but are still registered up country. My family are registered at our home address in Bangkok, just a matter of having your registration moved to reflect where you actually live - in truth its not the governments fault in this instance (for a change). smile.png Edited by Greer
  • Like 2

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, if I understand the posts here correctly, all here agree not to give power to one family. That seems to include the Shinewatras and their political party Pheu Thai as well. At least those are part of the topic and we wouldn't like to stray, now would we

To suggest that the Shinawatras will hold a monopoly grip on Thailand seems quite farcical given the length of time that Thaksin has been in exile and the quite obvious role the real powers that be played in putting him there! You do understand that Thaksin is unable to actually even enter the kingdom at this time, don't you?

Incidentally for the conspiracy theorists, try typing Shinawatras and then right click for the spell check suggestions, there is only one... brainwashing... whistling.gif

What hypocritical tripe coming from those that represent the wealthy families that have held a monopoly grip on Thailand for centuries... more tit for tat BS.

How about a truly novel idea, a political party that represents none of the wealthy families and relies simply on people voting for them and not shady sponsors or behind the scenes power brokers? Sorry, stupid suggestion, clearly that would never work in a real democracy... let alone Thailand.

I agree! And how about the Thai people being able to vote where they live instead of having to return to their home province to vote? Or doing away with vote buying?

Really there is no problem with that at all - the voting is regulated as are most things by being registered on a Tabian Baan, so its just that many people from up country have not had their registration changed to be on a Tabian Baan at the house they live in, but are still registered up country. My family are registered at our home address in Bangkok, just a matter of having your registration moved to reflect where you actually live - in truth its not the governments fault in this instance (for a change). smile.png

I think the suggestion was that a large part of the electorate hail from the North but work low paid construction/ factory jobs in the south/ Bangkok. Many of these are unable to transfer to a local Tabien Baan and must return to their home province for certain tasks because of this eg voting. Most worker camps don't have a valid Tabien Baan for the workers to be registered on and most low income workers don't have the luxury of being able to pop home on a whim as they simply can't afford to.

Do you really think that the powers that be on Phuket for example, would allow the local labour to vote and have a hand in local politics?! There's such a massive amount of construction work going on and everyone doing any physical work on this island is either Burmese, Laos or a Northern Thai Thaksin supporter; I'm sure the reds would win a landslide here if the migrant workers actually got a local vote!

So, if I understand the posts here correctly, all here agree not to give power to one family. That seems to include the Shinewatras and their political party Pheu Thai as well. At least those are part of the topic and we wouldn't like to stray, now would we

To suggest that the Shinawatras will hold a monopoly grip on Thailand seems quite farcical given the length of time that Thaksin has been in exile and the quite obvious role the real powers that be played in putting him there! You do understand that Thaksin is unable to actually even enter the kingdom at this time, don't you?

Incidentally for the conspiracy theorists, try typing Shinawatras and then right click for the spell check suggestions, there is only one... brainwashing... whistling.gif

"Thaksin is unable to actually even enter the kingdom at this time"

What is preventing him from returning home, apart from his own fear of outstanding arrest-warrants & jail-sentences & several further cases which await his presence in-court, to get started ? wink.png

After all, his own sister is PM, his own political-party is in firm control of the current government, his cousin is Foreign Minister, other family-members are senior police & military, his political-allies are trying to elect one of their own as Governor of Bangkok, the DSI appears to be doing his command, his propaganda/media-control is running nicely, many minor political-leaders afirm that they're committed to passing an amnesty to cover him ... oh dear, I rather seem to be spelling-out the case that he & his family are indeed back-on-track for a gradual-takeover of the country, aren't I ? whistling.gif

No, your just painting a very one sided twisted picture of the situation and displaying considerable ignorance of who really pulls the strings here, which led to Thaksin's exile and the current status quo. His sister was voted into office by the people of Thailand, her political party is currently in power and has been for a while now but still Thaksin is unable to come back to Thailand a free man. Generally when a people elect their PM fairly that is called democracy, the will of the people. Generally an elder sibling will hold influence and be in regular contact with their younger siblings, Yingluck just happens to be PM... as far as I am aware there is no law stipulating that Presidents/ Prime Ministers are forbidden to talk to their own family members, even if they happen to be in exile having been convicted of a charge as a result of a quite deliberate political agenda to do so.

I do understand the paranoia of the amart and their supporters; when you've held grip on a country and a people for so long it must be worrying to see the slow awakening of the general populace and the recognition that they actually hold some measure of power with their votes.

It's just laughable when they accuse the Shinawats of trying to do exactly what they have done for centuries... is that irony lost on you? If indeed this is their end goal then they have learnt well from their masters no?

What is preventing him from returning home, apart from his own fear of outstanding arrest-warrants & jail-sentences & several further cases which await his presence in-court, to get started ? wink.png

After all, his own sister is PM, his own political-party is in firm control of the current government, his cousin is Foreign Minister, other family-members are senior police & military, his political-allies are trying to elect one of their own as Governor of Bangkok, the DSI appears to be doing his command, his propaganda/media-control is running nicely, many minor political-leaders afirm that they're committed to passing an amnesty to cover him ... oh dear, I rather seem to be spelling-out the case that he & his family are indeed back-on-track for a gradual-takeover of the country, aren't I ? whistling.gif

No, your just painting a very one sided twisted picture of the situation and displaying considerable ignorance of who really pulls the strings here, which led to Thaksin's exile and the current status quo. His sister was voted into office by the people of Thailand, her political party is currently in power and has been for a while now but still Thaksin is unable to come back to Thailand a free man. Generally when a people elect their PM fairly that is called democracy, the will of the people. Generally an elder sibling will hold influence and be in regular contact with their younger siblings, Yingluck just happens to be PM... as far as I am aware there is no law stipulating that Presidents/ Prime Ministers are forbidden to talk to their own family members, even if they happen to be in exile having been convicted of a charge as a result of a quite deliberate political agenda to do so.

I do understand the paranoia of the amart and their supporters; when you've held grip on a country and a people for so long it must be worrying to see the slow awakening of the general populace and the recognition that they actually hold some measure of power with their votes.

It's just laughable when they accuse the Shinawats of trying to do exactly what they have done for centuries... is that irony lost on you? If indeed this is their end goal then they have learnt well from their masters no?

Thaksin is only "unable" to return to Thailand because he is unwilling to fave the many criminal charges waiting him that his proxy government is unable to protect him from.

When will you finally admit that this man abused his position and stole from the people of Thailand, that his wealth was based on corrupt contracts that allowed that theft?

How can the latest charge, abuse of power to arrange loans totalling B10 billion that almost immediately disappeared be construed as politically motivated?

• Like 1

When all unscrupulous, monopolistic families in Thailand are treated the same perhaps? When one family isn't singled out as an upstart by the more established power brokers and the same rules are applied fairly to all perhaps? This would be a good starting point. This article is like Dawn French accuse Jennifer Saunders of being fat, it's a joke.

Thaksin is undoubtedly a rich, morally corrupt, scheming b'stard but he pales in comparison to some of the more established families here who escape public scrutiny, indeed most seem completely above it. The fact that charges have actually been brought against Thaksin is a good indication that he is not among the favoured elite here, who remain above any and every offence and are untouchable by the legal system. A conviction shows that he has trod on some very powerful toes, when else would anyone of his financial standing be held accountable for anything in this country?

Really there is no problem with that at all - the voting is regulated as are most things by being registered on a Tabian Baan, so its just that many people from up country have not had their registration changed to be on a Tabian Baan at the house they live in, but are still registered up country. My family are registered at our home address in Bangkok, just a matter of having your registration moved to reflect where you actually live - in truth its not the governments fault in this instance (for a change). smile.png

I think the suggestion was that a large part of the electorate hail from the North but work low paid construction/ factory jobs in the south/ Bangkok. Many of these are unable to transfer to a local Tabien Baan and must return to their home province for certain tasks because of this eg voting. Most worker camps don't have a valid Tabien Baan for the workers to be registered on and most low income workers don't have the luxury of being able to pop home on a whim as they simply can't afford to.

Do you really think that the powers that be on Phuket for example, would allow the local labour to vote and have a hand in local politics?! There's such a massive amount of construction work going on and everyone doing any physical work on this island is either Burmese, Laos or a Northern Thai Thaksin supporter; I'm sure the reds would win a landslide here if the migrant workers actually got a local vote!

Well following your posts it is easy to see you are out of touch with the reality of things. Now you are implying that Burmese and Lao workers be given the vote.

How about many of the unregistered voters don't care about transferring there registration unless the bribe money is sufficient to warrant it.

When all unscrupulous, monopolistic families in Thailand are treated the same perhaps? When one family isn't singled out as an upstart by the more established power brokers and the same rules are applied fairly to all perhaps? This would be a good starting point. This article is like Dawn French accuse Jennifer Saunders of being fat, it's a joke.

Thaksin is undoubtedly a rich, morally corrupt, scheming b'stard but he pales in comparison to some of the more established families here who escape public scrutiny, indeed most seem completely above it. The fact that charges have actually been brought against Thaksin is a good indication that he is not among the favoured elite here, who remain above any and every offence and are untouchable by the legal system. A conviction shows that he has trod on some very powerful toes, when else would anyone of his financial standing be held accountable for anything in this country?

Well you are correct on one point Thaksin is not a nice man. For every thing else you have your feet planted very firmly in mid air.

Let me give you a clue the charges against Thaksin were because he was guilty of committing them. As a holder of the office of PM honesty was and is expected from him more so than these nameless supposed mysterious elite.

You like all the other clueless posters refer to these nameless families. the reason you don't name them is because you don't know any thing it just helps you promote your favorite morally corrupt scheming bastard.

Please do not try to imply that it would be a libelous act to name one of these families. The Shinawatras (Trashiness) have been named countless times and there is no charges against people for doing that.

• Like 1

Well you are correct on one point Thaksin is not a nice man. For every thing else you have your feet planted very firmly in mid air.

Let me give you a clue the charges against Thaksin were because he was guilty of committing them. As a holder of the office of PM honesty was and is expected from him more so than these nameless supposed mysterious elite.

You like all the other clueless posters refer to these nameless families. the reason you don't name them is because you don't know any thing it just helps you promote your favorite morally corrupt scheming bastard.

Please do not try to imply that it would be a libelous act to name one of these families. The Shinawatras (Trashiness) have been named countless times and there is no charges against people for doing that.

Ah the voice of Thaivisa reason...

Devoid of any fact or point and the one you've tried to make is mute; There are plenty of people who have been had up on charges for libel in relation to the Shinawatras and other more established families in Thailand. I personally have received thinly veiled threats via PM on TV for mentioning one such family specifically in relation to a dubious land deal. If you have a point to actually make try making it without resorting to childish insults and better still, try making a point that actually has some basis in reality, your last statement is complete BS.

Devoid of any fact or point and the one you've tried to make is mute; There are plenty of people who have been had up on charges for libel in relation to the Shinawatras and other more established families in Thailand. I personally have received thinly veiled threats via PM on TV for mentioning one such family specifically in relation to a dubious land deal. If you have a point to actually make try making it without resorting to childish insults and better still, try making a point that actually has some basis in reality, your last statement is complete BS.

You wish

Hellodolly: Well following your posts it is easy to see you are out of touch with the reality of things. Now you are implying that Burmese and Lao workers be given the vote.

How about many of the unregistered voters don't care about transferring there registration unless the bribe money is sufficient to warrant it.

Well one doesn't have to follow your posts to see that you are incapable of basic reading comprehension and most of your posts smack of petty insults backed up with a very detached view of the world force fed to you by the local media. I do understand that actually getting out and keeping in touch with reality is easier for some than others. I work 6 days a week on such sites all around Thailand, I'm in my 30s, active and social amongst Thais and foreigners alike, most TV commentators I've met don't have this active perspective to fall back on but seem to simply regurgitate what they have read or seen, from the safety of their favourite bar.

I've made no such implication; the Burmese and Laos workers here have no rights in Thailand, their children are nation less and their treatment by the Thais is generally appalling. The implied point that you stunningly missed was that the only Thais (ir eligible voters) actually engaged in menial construction work here are Northern Thais. That's an obvious reality on construction sites across Thailand and echoes by most factories... all which tend to be 100s of miles from where these workers are registered and able to vote.

Did you have an actual opinion on what we were discussing or is this just your regular Saturday morning troll?

Sorry Off Topic, but why has the quoting system been altered on Thaivisa? It was a pain in the @rse to edit previously whenever you got that "maximum quote" warning, now it seems impossible to actually specifically reply to a post and remove the peripheral quotes.

The Democrats could start with Phuket. Aren't most of the major landholdings controlled by a handful of families, all closely aligned with the Democrats?

In the south basically every old family is aligned with the Democrats.

And even there are some irregularities, it is really minor in compare to ONE family is grapping all Thailand.

You wish

I guess that answers the Saturday morning troll question! I wish that there were people on libel charges in Thailand?! Do you live in a cave? Do you not recall HM's deliberate jibe at Thaksin all those years ago directly relating to the ridiculous use of the defamation law by politicians?

You don't even have to make a false statement. A true statement which is deemed to have tarnished the reputation of an individual or company is enough grounds for the charge to stick in Thailand.

You do realise that Thaksin is able to return to Thailand any time he chooses. He doesnt because he commited a crime and was convicted to a prison term for it but ran away to avoid that prison term. Therefore he is a convicted criminal and fugitive from justice.

Cant do the time then dont do the crime

"It's just laughable when they accuse the Shinawats of trying to do exactly what they have done for centuries... is that irony lost on you? If indeed this is their end goal then they have learnt well from their masters no?"

So, let history repeat itself, only fair to would be dictators. F___ democracy, people could do it in the past, I want to do it now. Anyone who disagrees should move out before my free spirited, democracy loving supporters apprehend you for ... re-schooling.

• Like 2

It's as always entertaining to see someone post about how

Thaksin's winning elections is about 'democracy at work',

and not 'Democracy' being suborned by special interests and clan nepotism.

But hey, we all can't see reality through the artificial fog bank that has been put to cover it up.

Edited by animatic

But hey, we all can't see reality through the artificial fog bank that has been put to cover it up.

I looked up the Sam Houston University alumni. Quite interesting statictic on K Thaksin.

Thaksin Shinawatra - Former Prime Minister of Thailand, and current fugitive (1979, Ph.D. in Criminal Justice)

• Like 2

Then they should lose their vote in their home province: Fair trade I reckon.

Indeed. And these votes probably wouldn't be missed up country, so ptp would clean up nationwide

It's like arguing that Putin's election was a triumph for democracy in Russia.

• Like 1

You're flat out lying. He is a COWARDLY CRIMINAL who fled his country. He is NOT in exile. Exile means barred.

No excuse why a foreigner with any education would support and defend the Shinawatra family. Sad man you are.

• Like 2

I was wondering where all the PT MP's who were actually elected by the people have got to, you know the ones whose names were on the ballot papers?

Seems all the ministers of one sort or another are either list PM's or ring ins.

• Like 1

I was wondering where all the PT MP's who were actually elected by the people have got to, you know the ones whose names were on the ballot papers?

Seems all the ministers of one sort or another are either list PM's or ring ins.

So your saying that the politicians that were elected by the"majority" (sic) of Thais cant even get a position in the cabinet? Thats Red democracy in action.

• Like 1

I looked up the Sam Houston University alumni. Quite interesting statictic on K Thaksin.

Thaksin Shinawatra - Former Prime Minister of Thailand, and current fugitive (1979, Ph.D. in Criminal Justice)

Irony writ large yet with an admirable economy of words.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

@Gemini 81...You're flat out lying. He is a COWARDLY CRIMINAL who fled his country. He is NOT in exile. Exile means barred. No excuse why a foreigner with any education would support and defend the Shinawatra family. Sad man you are.

No actually it doesn't, not a great start to your rant. While many would class it a self imposed exile (are you familiar with that term?) it's quite clear he and his supporters see it as a forced exile as a result of a politically motivated witch-hunt. Either way exile is a perfectly acceptable definition of his current situation!
He is unable to return to his home country without being imprisoned; that is the very definition of exile!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exile Whether he was actually guilty or not has no bearing on his verifiable status as an exile... Jeebus.... and you're an educated foreigner are you?!

Defending the Shinawats? Now clearly I'm not, I've been pretty up front about my feelings there on this very thread in fact, but it doesn't stop certain intellectually challenged critics leaping on my posts in the assumption that I must be pro Thaksin to be critical of the deliberate BS spouted by articles like this. Say Thaksin enough times and it wipes the slate clean for all those families that have raped Thailand for centuries does it?

Sad? No, quite content with my existence and optimistic that one day people will start thinking for themselves rather than conforming to neat little boxes or trying to simplify every situation to either pro / anti, black & white. If only the world was so simple then even the stunningly un or badly educated amongst us, foreign or native, would probably be a bit clearer in their view of the world around them...thumbsup.gif

You are both wrong and right.

Wrong in that Thaksin can return to Thailand at any time as it was his decision to do a 'Lucan' when he and his legal team realised he would lose the court case as he had broken the law that exisited before the coup. It should also be noted that then as now the PM was a family relative.

Right in that the Shinawatras do not have a 'monopoly' grip on Thailand, at least in the sense of having total power. They may have cornered all the political positions but there is still a far greater force in the kingdom and long may that continue.

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

@Gemini 81...You're flat out lying. He is a COWARDLY CRIMINAL who fled his country. He is NOT in exile. Exile means barred. No excuse why a foreigner with any education would support and defend the Shinawatra family. Sad man you are.

No actually it doesn't, not a great start to your rant. While many would class it a self imposed exile (are you familiar with that term?) it's quite clear he and his supporters see it as a forced exile as a result of a politically motivated witch-hunt. Either way exile is a perfectly acceptable definition of his current situation!
He is unable to return to his home country without being imprisoned; that is the very definition of exile!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exile Whether he was actually guilty or not has no bearing on his verifiable status as an exile... Jeebus.... and you're an educated foreigner are you?!

Defending the Shinawats? Now clearly I'm not, I've been pretty up front about my feelings there on this very thread in fact, but it doesn't stop certain intellectually challenged critics leaping on my posts in the assumption that I must be pro Thaksin to be critical of the deliberate BS spouted by articles like this. Say Thaksin enough times and it wipes the slate clean for all those families that have raped Thailand for centuries does it?

Sad? No, quite content with my existence and optimistic that one day people will start thinking for themselves rather than conforming to neat little boxes or trying to simplify every situation to either pro / anti, black & white. If only the world was so simple then even the stunningly un or badly educated amongst us, foreign or native, would probably be a bit clearer in their view of the world around them...thumbsup.gif

That wiki article says:

"Exile can also be a self-imposed departure from one's homeland. Self-exile is often depicted as a form of protest by the person that claims it, to avoid persecution or legal matters (such as tax or criminal allegations), an act of shame or repentance, or isolating oneself to be able to devote time to a particular thing."