How Corrupt Is Thailand, Your Perception.

JurgenG

I've been living in Asia for more than 15 years, worked in Bangkok before being transferred to HK in 2007 but still with responsibilities in Thailand. We own a house in Bangkok. I drove in Thailand for more than 200,000 km (my car just reached 100,000 and it's the third one). I'm not the oldest expat in Bangkok but I didn't arrived yesterday either.

A few days ago, we were talking with friends who are also long time expats about corruption with the traffic police, immigration and other administrations

Our conclusion ? It's up to you ! You want to do the right thing ? People are happy to help. You want to cut the queue ? It has a cost.

I've been fined quite a lot. But never for something i didn't do.

And for you, what is your experience ?

• Like 2

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have told this story before but there is corruption we can't see.

Road to my rented house gets millions of baht yearly from head g meovernment official he then passes a % to a mate that knows a construction team, the mate takes a % and gives the job to the construction team, they then employs team of villages with wheelbarrows and a truck full of tar, all happy.

Asked why not just do the job properly once then no need to repeat this every year, the answer is "we will get no money next year if the road is not in disrepair" .

I asked my wife why the road never gets fixed right.She gave same answer and you think no one sees it?

What happened to all of the money borrowed for flood control? It is in the issuing of bonds for major improvements where the money disappears.

What does it take to get a permit to build a condo? Who gets the big government contracts for infrastructure?

Corruption is massive.

When we tendered for government contracts, we were advised to include a provision to be abstracted. That's money taken from the Thai tax payers, passed to a Contractor who then illegally gives it to people in authority. Contractors helping the people in government steal from their tax payers. Fortunately, we did not win the work...

We didn't have to do that for work with private sector companies in Thailand, though to be fair, those were smaller projects.

SC

To be honest, I find the level of corruption in Thailand a little easier to live with than the level of corruption in Australia! At least here everybody knows it goes on and makes adjustments to allow for it. In Australia we have a rotten to the core Prime Minister who has been implicated in nefarious dealings throughout her adult life surrounded by a team of ex union leaders who are in it for everything they can get out of it.

The difference is that the people involved in daily corruption here are poorly paid police officers and the ones running the corruption in Australia are (very) overpaid politicians. Julia Gillard is better paid than Barack Obama for gods sake and still she taints everything she touches.

Give me the "honest" corruption here over the type found in Australia and a lot of other supposedly clean countries.

Dont forget to vote her out this year.

The corruption is here to stay, it will never be stamped out in this country. At least everyone knows where they stand this way.

You pay for what you get and you get what you pay for.

Edited by OZEMADE
  • Like 1

at the bar last night my check bin was 20 baht over, nong noi was not up to expectation, corrupt country this.

seriously, love the stories from the old hands who have done legitimate businesses here and their trials,tribulations and sucess.

luckily, my own experience of the corruption in thailand has only been at the most low level.

I think it depends who you talk to. I've driven here for 6 years and never even been stopped by police, yet I have friends who bike and they are constantly bemoaning being fined - getting a car is a simple solution.
My other perception is informed by my Thai wife's family - that's given me direct insight into how Thais receive a stipend to vote the right way (around 500b) - they live in Bangkok, not a village and this has happened in all the elections since 2007 to my knowledge. Their reasoning is that were they not to accept it, someone else would keep it. Based on that, I'd say 99%, give or take.

You guys may be missing the point. The problem in Thailand is the lack of rule by law, allowing corruption to flourish.

I'll be banned from Thaivisa if I mention my theory about why there is no rule of law here.

Exactly cooked.....some know how rule of law sets....but cant comment..

• Like 1

I suppose from my perspective I look at corruption from the viewpoint:

- to what extent is my professional success determined by competency and good service to my clients and employers?

- to what extent do people do the job that they are employed for, to the best of their ability?

All the consequences - the poor roads, the deaths in night club fires, the victims of people-smuggling, the high taxes, the lack of opportunity, the poor standard of education, those are just fallout from the two issues above

SC

Finally some who understands it. I could not have said it better corruption reduces quality.

• Like 1

- to what extent is my professional success determined by competency and good service to my clients and employers?

- to what extent do people do the job that they are employed for, to the best of their ability?

All the consequences - the poor roads, the deaths in night club fires, the victims of people-smuggling, the high taxes, the lack of opportunity, the poor standard of education, those are just fallout from the two issues above

SC

Post of the year.

clap2.gif

SC

Hadn't seen this post until now. As is often the case, this poster says what I would have. And as always, says it so much better (and more succinctly) than I ever could have.

Quality.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap