About 500 Involved In Cheating At Test For Job Of Assistant Teachers

Lite Beer

About 500 involved in cheating at test for job of assistant teachers

Piyanut Tumnukasetchai
The Nation on Sunday

As many as 500 people who sat for an exam for assistant teachers were involved in large-scale, systematic fraud, according to a source familiar with the investigation into the scandal.

A source from the Justice Ministry yesterday said an initial investigation found that about 500 out of more than 10,000 test-takers cheated using one of three methods: answers were provided to the examinees via electronic tools; they were provided with answers before entering the examination halls; or they got other people to take the test on their behalf.

However, it remains unclear if these 500 exam-takers are among the 2,000 people who passed the exam for assistant teachers.

Thanin Prempree, director of corruption prevention and suppression centre at the Department of Special Investigation (DSI), said it would summon seven school directors in the Northeast, the region reported to have the most obvious cheating cases, for interrogation. The DSI would also summon other relevant groups for interrogation later.

DSI director-general Tarit Pengdith said the investigation would be finished in 15 days and the report sent to the Education Ministry. The ministry could then request the Special Investigation Committee of the DSI to further investigate as a special case.

Thanin said after the committee took it up as a special case, the DSI would have the authority to carry out an in-depth investigation to find out who had engaged in cheating.

He added that the DSI had planned with the Education Ministry to look into a problem that many selected test-takers' names appeared on selected lists of two educational service area offices.

Also, it would investigate two other problems - of using electronic tools to provide answers to examinees, and test paper leaks as a result of which test-takers were provided with answers before entering the examination halls.

The source from the Justice Ministry said each set of leaked test papers cost about Bt1 million-Bt2 million.

"Many government agencies had previously created a strict system of storing and delivering test papers. Passwords to open the boxes storing the test papers were sent as e-mails to the invigilators. But they were allowed to open the e-mail to see the password only a day before the exams began. After opening the e-mail and knowing the password, the invigilators must stay in the exam halls under their responsibility and were not allowed to contact outsiders until the exams were finished.

But the Office of the Basic Education Commission decided to send the test papers via postal service as a result they were received at the exam sites a few days before the day of the examination for assistant teachers. So, it was possible that the test papers were leaked during the delivery and storing process at the test sites," the source added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-03

Cheating for a job of assistant teacher? That does not make much sense, as this Jo does not pay much and I believe there is a shortage of teachers also,

I know one of my ex's got a job as a teacher without much hassle and not only she did not have right qualification but also had no experience at all

Cheating for a job of assistant teacher? That does not make much sense, as this Jo does not pay much and I believe there is a shortage of teachers also,

I know one of my ex's got a job as a teacher without much hassle and not only she did not have right qualification but also had no experience at all

All teachers start off as teaching assistants with no experience, the experience is gained over a few years in a classroom after which they sit a further examination after which, if they pass they become permanent teachers and civil servants. I don't know what subject or where your ex was supposed to be teaching but Thai teachers do NOT turn up at schools and apply for jobs. After they complete their university degree they take a further examination and those with the top results are then issued a teaching licence by the Teachers Council of Thailand. They are then sent to a school by the local Education Department as a teaching assistant where they work until they apply to sit a further teacher examination. If they are successful with this they are then allocated a second school as a teacher. I am of course writing about mainstream education and not language schools.

Considering the amount of cheating that goes on in exams in general maybe it's good to have a an assistant teacher who can explain the best way to go about it. Prepare the kids for the "real world" at least.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

All teachers start off as teaching assistants with no experience, the experience is gained over a few years in a classroom after which they sit a further examination after which, if they pass they become permanent teachers and civil servants. I don't know what subject or where your ex was supposed to be teaching but Thai teachers do NOT turn up at schools and apply for jobs. After they complete their university degree they take a further examination and those with the top results are then issued a teaching licence by the Teachers Council of Thailand. They are then sent to a school by the local Education Department as a teaching assistant where they work until they apply to sit a further teacher examination. If they are successful with this they are then allocated a second school as a teacher. I am of course writing about mainstream education and not language schools.

Again for the ones who can not read.

Not all teachers start of as teachers assistant.

MY ex got job as a teacher without experience or qualifications.AGAIN she was not an assistant, she never worked as a teacher, she did not even have education to be a teacher.

She was computers teachers and yet did not even know how to install an anti-virus

She did not apply for assistant teacher job, she did not have to take any tests

She worked at Thai public school, in BKK(just outside)

Seems there is no shortage of people wishing to become teachers but this is simply appalling. In general Thai education is way down by western standards but having to cheat at this level? They all sound like they are only qualified for jobs as domestic help.

This is why its so strange, so many want to be teachers and are cheating to get into it and yet there is shortage of teachersblink.png

... It was unclear whether the one's who cheated passed or not ....

If you have all the answers and still fail you probably shouldn't be a teachers assistant anyway.

clap2.gif If you failed while cheating, you should be locked away somewhere as you would be a danger not only to society but to yourself as well

• Like 2

This cheating thing seems to be kind of a norm here. Let me explain. For about 10 years I have volunteered a couple hours a day at the local primary school as a native speaking English teacher. When I give a quiz to see if anyone has been listening,probably 35 percent have been and start doing the test and the remaining 65 percent are looking at their neighbors paper and copying their answers. Now get this, the Thai teacher in the room says nothing to the cheaters. Never could figure that out.

This article brings several questions to mind.

Why is a government test needed for a graduate who is a graduate/qualified by a university to teach?

Who drafts/writes this test to start with?

Who/how is the test graded?

How much does it cost to take the test?

What is the fee, if there is one, used for?

What has been learned if only 2000 out of 10000 pass the test?

How are successful applicants teaching assignments made, test score, appearance, etc?

Do the 80% who failed get to retake the test?

Does the failure get the applicant a fast track to being a 'party MP' during the next election?

This appears to be a perfect example of how badly broken several systems can be, yet still find additional broken parts, while telling the public "we are good to go".

So if I am understanding the posts to date, out of 10,000 university graduates, only somewhere between 15% and 20% (assuming some cheats passed) can pass an exam to become a trainee teacher. Do they print degrees on toilet paper?

And as I am assured there is minimal unemployment in Thailand, I can only assume the other 8000 have gone back to their previous employment, most likely 7-11 or Macdonalds.

This cheating thing seems to be kind of a norm here. Let me explain. For about 10 years I have volunteered a couple hours a day at the local primary school as a native speaking English teacher. When I give a quiz to see if anyone has been listening,probably 35 percent have been and start doing the test and the remaining 65 percent are looking at their neighbors paper and copying their answers. Now get this, the Thai teacher in the room says nothing to the cheaters. Never could figure that out.

Quite right. I did some volunteer English teaching at a small school not far from my house last year. When it came test time it was the same as you described. I simply would walk back to the student cheating take their test paper and tear it up and explain cheating was wrong. It didn't stop totally but it sure slowed it down.

My first reaction was 'send those cheaters down South where there's a lack of teachers'. Giving it some more thoughts I don't think that would be a good idea, it wouldn't be fair on the people down South.

• Like 1

With apologies to Cole Porter........

Teachers do it, Policemen do it,

Even Prime Minister's sons do it.

Let's cheat, that's what we love.

With apologies to Cole Porter........

Teachers do it, Policemen do it,

Even Prime Minister's sons do it.

Let's cheat, that's what we love.

I'm sure Cole would have said the same thing if he lived here.

When I was an English teacher in a High School. At exam time when the exam was finished, the students would hand their papers to me. About 30% of the papers from the boys were left blank, they just could not be bothered doing it, and these same boys would graduate after finishing 12 grade (Mattiyom 6). No one failed their final exams, the Thai teachers would just make them easier for the students until they passed. I've got to say the majority of girl students, unlike the boys, were very good.

May I point out, having taught Prathom students as well as working in a High School with about 4000 students, I never ever came across any Assistant Teachers.

I am a bit shocked to tell the truth blink.png the dsi and tarit are involved in this investigation but there is no mention of the democrats, Tarit must be off his game or wasnt paid enough, he never gets quoted without him blaming the demscheesy.gif

Maybe that's a reflection of the standard of English teaching the pupils are getting.

A drop in the ocean compared with probably 95%+ fraudulent English teachers here.

Having a high school diploma from the USA or the equivalent from the UK, Australia etc. makes you more qualified than many of the Thai teachers and Admin at many of the private schools. I highly doubt you have seen 95% of the English teachers in Thailand teach so where do you get your figures from. I know there are many foreign teachers here that have no business in the classroom, but your 95% figure is an insult to me and many English teachers here. Many of us put a lot of effort into our teaching and have great results!

• Like 2