Thailand Mulls Health Insurance For Foreigners

webfact

I have free health cover in Thailand at my local hospital. If they cannot handle the situation I would be transferred to another, bigger, hospital, if referred, also free.

From reading most of this post I don't think you guys have a clue about this.

Have you got yellow books yet?

What has yellow books got to do with it?

If your going to say that you can obtain free medical treatment because you have a yellow book,your wrong. I've heard of the odd person receiving treatment due to their having this book, however it has usually been done by mistake.

• Like 2

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would be wiser to ask every foreigners coming to Thailand to have an insurance when they apply for Visa . Many countries ask this insurance if Thais want to travel abroad. Thailand should ask the same to those who apply for Visa in their embassies.

Great plan,but what about expats who can afford to pay cash for treatment???????

I have free health cover in Thailand at my local hospital. If they cannot handle the situation I would be transferred to another, bigger, hospital, if referred, also free.

I wish people wouldn't post rubbish like this without a clear explanation as to what they're talking about

would you like to give details so as we can all understand

would be wiser to ask every foreigners coming to Thailand to have an insurance when they apply for Visa . Many countries ask this insurance if Thais want to travel abroad. Thailand should ask the same to those who apply for Visa in their embassies.

I agree... Part of the Visa application process should be proof of medical insurance. Visa exemption stamp on arrival should be granted with proof of return flight and proof of medical insurance. Entrance Via Land border could also require a proof of medical insurance.

Perhaps - Without Proof of Medical insurance a Health Service tax on arrival would be a good form to ensure treatment is covered for tourists.

The treatment for tourist used to be covered by the tax you paid when you left the airport. That last 500 BHT they garnered from you as you left Thailand. Last I heard it was included into the airfare prices but who knows where it actually went. 500 BHT x 75 million visitors is one hell of a lot of money. They want more????? lol

What has yellow books got to do with it?

If your going to say that you can obtain free medical treatment because you have a yellow book,your wrong. I've heard of the odd person receiving treatment due to their having this book, however it has usually been done by mistake.

I also have the the yellow registration Book but only to-day i was cheated out of the "resident" status (which i did have previously) at ramathibothi here in bkk for reason of not having a work permit....i'm here on a retirement visa, so not alowed to work. They made me change to a "new" outpatient card, with had the same number, but probably changed with a new status code.....i only found out after i was charged 300 baht for "nursing fee", which is the fee for checking - preliminary to your actual doctor's visit - your blood pressure, height & weight ( last 2 things they didn't even measure, just asked me how many kgs and length); Bangkok Hospital's fee is 150 baht ....and they DO actually measure weight & heightsick.gif

I guess things are really changing due to those currently in charge.

It takes something like ASEAN to do this. What about the past? Foreigners have been living here for years. Very typical.

Why would the reaction be that they should have done this years ago? Medical care here is very inexpensive, and a place like the U.S. would never offer you a program like this, unless you were destitute, or illegal. You did not come here for free medical care did you? I think this is a wonderful step for all of the expats. Totally unexpected, and a very nice gesture. I hope it comes to fruition, and you should also. They don't have to do this for us. Please don't belittle it, and make them walk away from it. Support them towards a program that will help us all.

nice to see they finally are going to offer US something ?

for people who already live here 5, 10, 20 years...

when can we expect some basic HUMAN rights? as the right to stay with our family without all that crappy paper work each year and the right to own our own business 100% and 1 rai of land to build our house with our money, not of the "wife"

Were these the rules & laws in place when you came here? If yes, get over it. You chose to come. Don't demand they change everything for you. You sound like the illegals in the U.S.

Great summary Pib...

Medicare will NEVER cover expats in ANY OTHER country and Medicare/Medicaid only going to get WORSE for people in Thee States.

I will NEVER return to f'upt USA unless I'm cremated in LOS first...clap2.gif

BTW I had MediScare since I was age 47 when eligibility used to be age 62 now it's 65 soon to be 67 then 69...FACT thumbsup.gifblink.png1zgarz5.gif

Sad crap going on in USA sick.gif, citizens health care should be priority-1 then that will turn into a healthy work force which means a healthy economy and a much more healthy country...DUH annoyed.gif

MaiThaiMai

wai.gifwai2.gifwai.gif

Sad crap going on in USA sick.gif, citizens health care should be priority-1 then that will turn into a healthy work force which means a healthy economy and a much more healthy country...DUH annoyed.gif

I beg to differ.

I think that in fact the quality of healthcare should be reduced in the USA.

The same way I would reduce from a Rolls to a Volkswagen.....because I should buy within my budget.

Which the US is not doing.

(I mean this selectively of course......overtesting and overdiagnosis and Pharma are the first targets. In fact of course if you enforced the best of the European models you could improve your healthcare to their standards whilst also improving your costs)

Edited by cheeryble

I agree... Part of the Visa application process should be proof of medical insurance. Visa exemption stamp on arrival should be granted with proof of return flight and proof of medical insurance. Entrance Via Land border could also require a proof of medical insurance.

Perhaps - Without Proof of Medical insurance a Health Service tax on arrival would be a good form to ensure treatment is covered for tourists.

Utter nonsense

Some thai hospitals are blacklisted by overseas insurance companies. Methinks the mulling is about constructing the loop-holes and the profit division between the various 'service' providers.

With thailands cultural attitude to H&S and responsibility...the money is in the fine print..theres a fine 'killing' to be made.

It takes something like ASEAN to do this. What about the past? Foreigners have been living here for years. Very typical.

Why would the reaction be that they should have done this years ago? Medical care here is very inexpensive, and a place like the U.S. would never offer you a program like this, unless you were destitute, or illegal. You did not come here for free medical care did you? I think this is a wonderful step for all of the expats. Totally unexpected, and a very nice gesture. I hope it comes to fruition, and you should also. They don't have to do this for us. Please don't belittle it, and make them walk away from it. Support them towards a program that will help us all.

Medical care here varies from the inexpensive (government hospitals) to the expensive (Bumrungrad, Bangkok hospital) if you can stop comparing it with the US for a minute. Medical insurance is a rip-off for Farangs over 60.

It is possible for Farangs to get treatment in a government hospital by paying (a lot less than the 2 I mentioned). It would be great if reasonable insurance was available for long-term (long-in-the-tooth) expats. However, I doubt very much if this mulled announcement is pointed in that direction. This is all about ASEAN & mulling is nothing more than flying a kite.

If you're older check out www.healthcareinternational.com. They are very reasonable if you opt for a $1,000 excess, which doesn't matter for outpatient treatment, etc, which is always cheap.

Peace of mind to have in case of any major accident or other surgery.

Why should Thailand insist on health insurance - currently if you get sick here as a foreigner it's your problem, no social security here and the Thai's couldn't care less - so what is your point?

I never understand why Farangs pay a fortune in health in surance and if you are over 60 then the price becomes a joke I wanted to join Bupa a few years back trouble was if that if I fell ill the insurance would not pay for my return to the UK. I use the Thai Government hospital when needed I also use the Thai dentist they are as good if not better than the UK and in my local Government hospital I can have a sea view private room for less than 1,500 baht per night that is on par with a room in a resort !!!!!!!!!!! private hospitals are a rip off !!!!!

• Like 1

When U.S. folks turn 65 they are eligible for the govt national health plan called Medicare. Medicare Part A requires no monthly premiums for most folks and covers basic in-hospital care, but you really need Part B also to cover many other medical costs to include some hospital costs and outpatient costs. You can easily end up in the poor house or not affording medical care without the Part B coverage. For 2013 the Part B monthly premium is $104.90 for most folks. Unfortunately, for U.S. expats, Medicare only covers you in the U.S.; not if you are living outside the U.S. And if you don't sign up for Medicare Part B when you turn 65, your monthly premium will be 10% higher per each year you delayed signing-up for your remaining life. Yea, a delay in your decision to sign-up for or not sign-up for Part B could get costly.

Whether to sign-up for Medicare Part B or not when turning 65 and being a U.S. expat and maybe not being 100% sure if Thailand will be your home for the remainder or you life and getting hit with much higher Medicare premiums if returning to the U.S. can probably make the Medicare sign-up decision when turning 65 a little tough for some U.S. expats.

Now, if Thailand could come up with a good medical plan for expats with monthly premiums equal to or less than Medicare Part B premium costs, then I expect some (maybe many) U.S expats would sign up for it.

I beg to differ.

I think that in fact the quality of healthcare should be reduced in the USA.

The same way I would reduce from a Rolls to a Volkswagen.....because I should buy within my budget.

Which the US is not doing.

(I mean this selectively of course......overtesting and overdiagnosis and Pharma are the first targets. In fact of course if you enforced the best of the European models you could improve your healthcare to their standards whilst also improving your costs)

I beg to DEFER, you can argue or disagree with my opine all day long but NOT my experiences...

Health care will NEVER get better until it's a NOT-for-profit rigged system for the HMOs and their shareholders coffee1.gif

BTW MediScare's not "my" health care system anymore...

Not going to get into tit for tat over this, I could care less for the States anymore (aside from family of course).

I love Thailand now and live in a place surrounded by many who love me for who I am and my family understands that...go figureclap2.gif

Sincerely, take care and good luck to you wai2.gif

Utter nonsense

this thread has nothing to do with the USA or it's medicare, can we stay on topic please

Why should Thailand insist on health insurance - currently if you get sick here as a foreigner it's your problem, no social security here and the Thai's couldn't care less - so what is your point?

Looks like you know nothing about "Social Security"

Get educated before making such a dumbass comments

I'd educate you on this but it would be a HUGE waste of my time at the impossible...have a nice strife, err, life crazy.gif

• Like 1

When U.S. folks turn 65 they are eligible for the govt national health plan called Medicare. Medicare Part A requires no monthly premiums for most folks and covers basic in-hospital care, but you really need Part B also to cover many other medical costs to include some hospital costs and outpatient costs. You can easily end up in the poor house or not affording medical care without the Part B coverage. For 2013 the Part B monthly premium is $104.90 for most folks. Unfortunately, for U.S. expats, Medicare only covers you in the U.S.; not if you are living outside the U.S. And if you don't sign up for Medicare Part B when you turn 65, your monthly premium will be 10% higher per each year you delayed signing-up for your remaining life. Yea, a delay in your decision to sign-up for or not sign-up for Part B could get costly.

Whether to sign-up for Medicare Part B or not when turning 65 and being a U.S. expat and maybe not being 100% sure if Thailand will be your home for the remainder or you life and getting hit with much higher Medicare premiums if returning to the U.S. can probably make the Medicare sign-up decision when turning 65 a little tough for some U.S. expats.

Now, if Thailand could come up with a good medical plan for expats with monthly premiums equal to or less than Medicare Part B premium costs, then I expect some (maybe many) U.S expats would sign up for it.

Good point, Australia has the same sort of thing , however they also have cross country agreements with some countries ,not with USA, your health costs are through the roof, however try an tell an Australian health official to work in with Thailand health departments, yeah right ,

Looks like you know nothing about "Social Security"

Get educated before making such a dumbass comments

I'd educate you on this but it would be a HUGE waste of my time at the impossible...have a nice strife, err, life crazy.gif

So why even waste your precious time in replying, especially if you have nothing to say.

That might seem the right thing to do but many people over 70 have great difficulty getting any health insurance or have to pay a hefty premium. They may also, if healthy, find it better to save the cash and pay direct to hospitals for treatment when and if they need it. To tie a visa to health insurance may prevent many elderly people from living here.

Edited by Card
  • Like 1

It's all about selling headlines and building up the perceived idea they really care about us... whistling.gif

Hardly a headline that would sell anything. Yawn.

Who is so stupid as to hold such a "perceived idea?" Why should "they" care about us or even care whether we have that "perceived idea?"

And why should we care if they do or not? It's just business. Did you think the lowly brown-skinned natives were supposed to bow down when you got off the boat? More delusions of grandeur. Or is it simply a case of needing Mommy?

This is the start of something good. It is also the realization by the Thai government that there is a vast amount of money to be made in this area. Let's face it there is not going to be anything really offered free to us. This like medical coverage in teh states (Sorry Canada has that great insurance company) is gong ot be competitive with the commercial products that are out there.

I would not be surprised that once it is established that it may be a requirement for annual visa renewals but right now the Thai government does not have the means to know whether or not I have medical insurance. There is no way at this point to tell if it is LIVE or KHOASAN.

I will definitely be interested to see what the prices are and hope HE PRICE IS RIGHT"

Right now for visa applications you need to provide finacial statements, the reason is not clearly stated but I would suggest it involves medical cover to an extent

Really? Since when are those needed?

I have a 1 year Visa, renewed every year "within" Thailand, as is my work permit renewed on the same day each year; as most legit workers here have. I am never asked to produce anything regarding financial income, nor medical cover.

-mel.

IF, and a BIG IF, Thailand ever decides to go for a plan, it will take the politicians several years to figure out how to get their divvy. If they are not able to steal a goodly portion to make it worth their effort, it would never become law.

• Like 2

If this insurance for foreighners does come to pass, the next headlines will read. "Thailand Mulls Honoring Insurance Claims For Foreingers".

Actually i've found insurance tends to pay out here.

Too easily.

It's one of the reasons not to get insurance....if you have a kitty to draw on.