Condos In Udon Thani And Khon Kaen

Maramook

I wonder, in general, how much does a condo cost in a) Udon Thani b)Khon Kaen. I'd like to rent it for 1-2 months to get to know Isaan. Now I'm in Udon Thani for a little while and I wouldn't say that the cost of living here is very cheap. It's probably the same as in Chiang Mai but it should be cheaper though. In Chiang Mai a condo costs about 3500 baht/month.

There are not many of condos in Udon and I'm short on the time, that's why I can't do that myself. So does anybody live here, can give me some pointers? How much is the cost of living compared to Chiang Mai?

P.S. Which city is better in terms of the night life?

Edited by SlyAnimal
Removed request for details regarding prostitution

The idea that the cost of living in UT should be lower as in CM is a little wishful thinking.

CM is full of Farang, UT the same, while in UT there still is a US Army base.

The condo market in Isan is booming, Khon Kaen is growing very fast,

Which means that prices of everything are going up, in this helped by the 300 baht a day minimum wage.

(ordered by the Government, and largely ignored by many smaller employers in Isan)

I think it's correct that right now, there's not much in the way of a western-style condos market in Udon. But that's going to change.

Was reading a newspaper article recently where it discussed all the major BKK developers buying land and making plans for buying land there both for houses and condos. A lot of that is being driven by the coming AEC (ASEAN integration) and the expectation that there will be an increase in cross-border trade in the region. And that the Thais doing that business are going to need someplace decent to live.

How much of that will become a reality in the next couple years, no way to know. But right now, the land prices around Udon are said to be increasing substantially.

Lots of houses to rent in Udon, but not condos. Can rent small furnished Thai apartment for 3000/mo, but have to look around for them. I think Aek Udon has furnished apartments. They are part of Aek International Hospital.

A few years back I queried at the big condominium by lake Bung Kaenakorn. 30K per month. I said the place must be empty as I was here early in the morning and there were no cars in the parking lot. The manager said. "No. The place is nearly full. The drivers take the cars home at night."

• Like 1

Udon has no condos at present, though about 5 large ones in the development stage, sales offices, but no ground broke yet. Land and locations bought up, just waiting on building permits.

the standard thai one room apt go from 3000 baht and up. Nightlife is non existent, what little there is, overpriced and zero selection. retirees from pats and patong.

The idea that the cost of living in UT should be lower as in CM is a little wishful thinking.

Which means that prices of everything are going up, in this helped by the 300 baht a day minimum wage.

(ordered by the Government, and largely ignored by many smaller employers in Isan)

Does the US still have a US army base? As far as I know they have no military base in Thailand.

I know that you can see a lot of war veterans that seems to be now in the 70's and 80's.

Regarding condos, their are some projects under development but haven't started yet. Khon Kaen has many condo projects completed already.

Udon has no condos at present, though about 5 large ones in the development stage, sales offices, but no ground broke yet. Land and locations bought up, just waiting on building permits.

the standard thai one room apt go from 3000 baht and up. Nightlife is non existent, what little there is, overpriced and zero selection. retirees from pats and patong.

Depending on what you mean by "nightlife." Udon has a fair amount of different places going on at night. Some of them more Thai oriented than farang oriented, if that matters. The Tawandaeng pub just alongsize the Central Plaza mall is just one example.

If by nightlife you just mean quantity of bargirl hookers, then no, Udon doesn't resemble Phuket or Pattaya.

My line about buying property in Khon Kaen even from a few years back:

The good thing is that now you own a house/condominium in Khon Kaen; the bad thing is that now you own a house/condominium in Khon Kaen.

A few years back I queried at the big condominium by lake Bung Kaenakorn. 30K per month. I said the place must be empty as I was here early in the morning and there were no cars in the parking lot. The manager said. "No. The place is nearly full. The drivers take the cars home at night."

Some how I think the manager told a little white untruth. For that price in KK I bet there is no one staying there.

You may be right about the white-lie. It seems, however, that is a preferred place for those who are here for work in the KK vicinity and whose expenses are paid by their corporate employers.

Edited by JLCrab

You may be right about the white-lie. It seems, however, that is a preferred place for those who are here for work in the KK vicinity and whose expenses are paid by their corporate employers.

And the rich Thai's keep a place there to meet there gik'stongue.png

Does the US still have a US army base? As far as I know they have no military base in Thailand.

I know that you can see a lot of war veterans that seems to be now in the 70's and 80's.

Regarding condos, their are some projects under development but haven't started yet. Khon Kaen has many condo projects completed already.

USAF has a presence with some A 10s and C 130 s. not seen any army.

seems plenty going on to me, obviously not Pattaya size but every kind of taste seems to be catered for, my friend having to move because new night club keeping him awake until 4 am every night. 2 bars complex's few late bar/ clubs and a good variety of Thai places.

USAF has a presence with some A 10s and C 130 s. not seen any army.
There's no US military based in Thailand. The current presence of US fly boys is "Cope Tiger" a Thai-US exercise that wraps up this coming Friday. Then they all go back to Korea, freshly trained, trigger fingers poised... and wait.

Lumpini Property are offering 22.5 sq m condos for 1 million and 26 sq m condos for 1.29 million.

http://www.lpn.co.th/condominium/index.php/lumpini/home/LP-UP