Why Did You Come To Thailand

wayned

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came here because there's no cold weather, esp. snow and ice.

The cheap lifestyle, the cheap health care.

I like Thai food.

I'm in Chiang Mai because of the large English speaking expat community (not so prevalent in other parts of the world) so lots of literature in English, people to talk to.

I came here because I can't live in the U.S. with all the daily Bullstuff.

Edited by qdinthailand

I awoke nearly 4 years ago in the middle of a field in what I now know was Isaan. Naked. Cold. Hungry. I found my way to a nearby village were I met an elderly Thai couple who took me in and raised me as their own "lost" 40 something year old son.

• Like 1

I awoke nearly 4 years ago in the middle of a field in what I now know was Isaan. Naked. Cold. Hungry. I found my way to a nearby village were I met an elderly Thai couple who took me in and raised me as their own "lost" 40 something year old son.

Did they have a beautiful 16 something year old daughter?

She was already married off.

She was already married off.

To the "brother" ........ but Grandma was a widow....and nearly all her own teeth.....

• Like 1

Your op had my respect.

This 16 year old comment however lost it.

Did you say angina or vagina?

I came because of the strong Buddhist culture, the belief that Karma will repay any good or bad deed you do that permeates Thai society.

I came to learn how to smile my way through each day as the indigenous people do, free from the worries and stresses of western culture.

To live simply among simple, childlike folk who are all Jai Dee. The strength of the extended family, supporting the elderly and bowing to their wisdom was a strong influence, and I was hoping I would be honoured as old and wise.

Fat chance.

• Like 2

I have lived in Chiang Mai twice, each for about 90 days. I liked it but I failed to travel enough. I recently returned from my first trip to Isaan. I spent most of my time in the general Surin/Sisaket/Buriram areas. I did make it through Kohn Kaen to Udon to Sakon Nakhon and back down.

I want to get away from it all and live rural. By rural, something like Surin/Sisaket or probably lots of other places would do. I don't want the crowding of a Chiang Mai or certainly a Bangkok or a Pattaya.

I grew up on a sizable ranch in the Western US and I spend a lot of time in the farming forum here. No, I don't want to farm but I'd like to live in farm country.

I'm really looking forward to getting away from life as I know it.

I think it boils down to a change at this point. I want a real change. I want lazy days and Thai food. By lazy I mean do what I want to do.

It's an adventure I give myself 2 years to try, and then decide if I'm in for good or gone. I think I'll be all in.

Thanks for asking.

I came here because I was tired of working as an sas, military legend with a purple helmet medal and a gajillion £'s in the bank. Women would chase me down the street with propositions no man could resist.

Now I live here Im still all of the above but now im a hansum man. Made all the difference hearing those words.

Had it in the back of head moving here 46 yrs. ago when I first stepped foot in Thailand. Had to move a little bit out in the sticks for it to resemble the good old days. Well I still have the memories. No one can take them away, while I still have have all my marbles anyway.

Some of you guys remind me of the line by the great American baseball player Mickey Mantle:

"If I'd known I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken a lot better care of myself." ...

That was James Cagne