Why Did You Come To Thailand

wayned

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first came to Thailand in 1998 with a group of other young back packers and we did all the touristy things. I never had the inclination to return until a year ago when my 10 year marriage ended. An elderly friend of my father, who goes to Thailand yearly, suggested I return and stay longer. I had enough money and no set plans for the future, so I said why the hell not. I bought a triple entry tourist visa and here I am 5 months later... and loving it. I won't settle in Thailand on a permanent basis, but I'll surely return during the long, wet Canadian winters.

It was supposed to be a 3 weeks vacation, which now lasts like over a year. ;) I was already planning to move to another country b/c neither my country of residence, nor my country of origin were good places for me to live. Settling down in Thailand wasn't exactly on my list, but life can be full of surprises. That being said, I never know where else it might lead me, so I keep my options open. :)

Cheap booze and hookers

That sure was a good reason for coming. If anyone says the cheap sexy hookers were not part of the equation, I don't believe them or don't want to speak to them.

Do you think it's just a coincidence that 95% of single people moving here are male?

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

I came here because I was tired of working as an sas, military legend with a purple helmet medal and a gajillion £'s in the bank. Women would chase me down the street with propositions no man could resist. Now I live here Im still all of the above but now im a hansum man. Made all the difference hearing those words.

Was JT in the pursuant crowd. ? ........whistling.gif

• Like 1

Cheap booze and hookers

That sure was a good reason for coming. If anyone says the cheap sexy hookers were not part of the equation, I don't believe them or don't want to speak to them.

Do you think it's just a coincidence that 95% of single people moving here are male?

95% of single people moving anywhere (cross boarder) are male.

• Like 1

I came because I got recruited for work. I stayed because life was somehow easier, not so boring and more flexible, and the woman here loved me, because I was not even 22 then. Well, that changed of course. But still here....

12 years and counting wink.png

I came here because I was tired of working as an sas, military legend with a purple helmet medal and a gajillion £'s in the bank. Women would chase me down the street with propositions no man could resist. Now I live here Im still all of the above but now im a hansum man. Made all the difference hearing those words.

Was JT in the pursuant crowd. ? ........

Having never met JT it could be possible.....

:D

biggrin.png

Hey, thats not my quote, bottom line is. Hmmmmmmmmm, this Tv upgrade is really sad.png .

• Like 1

Hey, thats not my quote, bottom line is. Hmmmmmmmmm, this Tv upgrade is really .

Never touched it, honest guv.

It appears thats how I am getting my upgraded TV quote boxes. Cant be ar**d to space the conversations. Not my job.

Edit - If the powers that be see the new posting is pap then it might be reported and fixed. Can only hope. Dont change it only address it.

Edited by jambco984

Hey, thats not my quote, bottom line is. Hmmmmmmmmm, this Tv upgrade is really .

Never touched it, honest guv.

biggrin.png

It appears thats how I am getting my upgraded TV quote boxes. Cant be ar**d to space the conversations. Not my job.

biggrin.png

Yeh, it's all very confusing lately. One should be clear about ones writings and not be intertwined with another's. Your forgiven. smile.png

• Like 1

I awoke nearly 4 years ago in the middle of a field in what I now know was Isaan. Naked. Cold. Hungry. I found my way to a nearby village were I met an elderly Thai couple who took me in and raised me as their own "lost" 40 something year old son.

Did they have a beautiful 16 something year old daughter?

Your op had my respect.

This 16 year old comment however lost it.

Did you say angina or vagina?

Didn't ask for any respect, nor do I want it! Unfortunately my comment about the 16 year old daughter is why some are here!

biggrin.png

Hey, thats not my quote, bottom line is. Hmmmmmmmmm, this Tv upgrade is really sad.png .

i disagree! it's not sad.png, it's bah.gif !

• Like 1

I came here to get over a broken heart. I lived with a 20 year old Cajun go go dancer from Tampa Florida for 3 years and she left me for a skinny hatchet faced female dance choreographer. Thailand worked. I was over the broken heart in a matter of hours. By the time I had climbed the first two floors on Nana Plaza I had forgotten all about Cajun women. I had even forgot where Tampa Florida was. By the time I made it to happy hour at the Cat House I had forgotten about where the USA was.

• Like 2

I didn't intend to go to Thailand at all; years back planned a month in Tahiti for some off-season/winter triathlon training, went to travel agent to book/pay and their advertised package deal had so many extras/penalties for a person traveling alone, she suggested a deal with Thai Air as at that time their fares/accomm deal had a singles category. And they flew my bike for free. Couldn't disagree with that.

That was the beginning; no regrets.

I came here to get over a broken heart. I lived with a 20 year old Cajun go go dancer from Tampa Florida for 3 years and she left me for a skinny hatchet faced female dance choreographer. Thailand worked. I was over the broken heart in a matter of hours. By the time I had climbed the first two floors on Nana Plaza I had forgotten all about Cajun women. I had even forgot where Tampa Florida was. By the time I made it to happy hour at the Cat House I had forgotten about where the USA was.

You turned her gay, eh!

You turned her gay, eh!

I don't rightly know. The lady was a male impersonator. Now if the folks on Thai Visa could help me on this one. If the guys who like lady boys are not gay then are the girls who like male impersonators lesbians? Not her but she kinda looked like the photo.

post-73727-0-14689900-1362621982_thumb.j

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Cheap booze and hookers

If you said availability of attractive women rather than availability of "cheap sexy hookers" I could have swallowed it(no pun intended). I think you are confusing those who flock to areas such as Pattaya and Nana etc (which from the sounds of it, is your own personal experience), to those who travel to other parts of Thailand. Im pretty sure, when your view is so blinkered, those who would try to tell you otherwise (that hookers are not a part of their equation), and you decide not to believe and thus not talk to them, wouldnt feel too much of a loss. Likely they have little in common with you, and have no real desire to converse with you either.

--------

As for me, well, im one of those species that didnt come for the cheap beer or for the cheap "sexy" (*cough*) hookers. I came because i just needed a break and wanted to see an area of the world i had not been to. The "break" however consisted of me selling up everything (had a long term relationship break-up as the catalyst- typical story for many). Packed one small suitcase, and flew over for maybe six months. I had planned on using THailand as my base for travel around asia. I ended up getting a health issue, meeting a guy, and etc etc, and anyway, six months has turned into nearly 7 years. No idea if this is where ill be forever, but still pretty content so far.

Edited by eek
  • Like 1

I awoke nearly 4 years ago in the middle of a field in what I now know was Isaan. Naked. Cold. Hungry. I found my way to a nearby village were I met an elderly Thai couple who took me in and raised me as their own "lost" 40 something year old son.

Did they have a beautiful 16 something year old daughter?

Your op had my respect.

This 16 year old comment however lost it.

Did you say angina or vagina?

Lady boy sees a cardiologist complaining about chest pain. He tells him he has acute angina

Ladyboy giggles and says 'I wish'

Where's my coat

• Like 2