Australian Tourist Visa

My husband who is Thai was recently granted a Tourist Visa to Australia. We have been married 5 years and this is the first time that he has applied to come with me to Australia to visit family and friends. It only took about 10 days from applying until we received the visa letter informing us that his visa had been granted. I am a little confused though how long this visa is for. At first I thought that it was a 1 year multi entry with stays of 3 months at a time..however on re reading the visa letter I am now confused. I think it is for only 3 months ??? On the letter it states ..Visa grant date 18th February 2013 ...Stay for/ Until 3 Months..Entries Multiple..Last date to arrive 18th February 2013...Does this mean he has a year to use the 3 months or that this is a year Multi Entry with stays up to 3 months each time...anyone with knowledge of Australain Visas and can give advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated..thanks smile.png

It sounds to me that he has a 3 month visa with multi re-entry opportunities? If for instance he was to go to S'pore and return within the 3 months that'd be ok! But,remember, Oz is red hot on overstays so keep a very clear and steady eye on his exit date...immigration doesn't give extensions! IMMHO

• Like 1

DAVID 48 wow thank you for scanning those two sheets !!!! BUT unfortunately it doesnt look like either of them !!!!!

It has NO TICKED BOXES !!! if it did then I would be able to understand it..It is set out on Australian Government letterhead VISA GRANT NOTICE

Details of Application : Tourist (classTR) Tourist Visa (subclass 676)

Primary Applicant...husbands name passport etc

Visa Grant Date :18th February 2013

Stay for / Until : 3 months

Entries : Multiple

Last date to arrive 18th February 2014

Conditions

:8101 - No work

8201- Study limitation

So what do you think it is ?? Now you know why I am confused...if it had the ticked boxes then it would be easier to understand...thanks

thank you !!!!! This is what we had asked for and I am glad that this is what we received. I might add that the Visa Service Center is very well organized and friendly....like I said above only 10 days from application until the Visa letter arrived by post..

I recently went through this process for my wife and at first found the wording a bit confusing as well. It was a smooth process here in Singapore as well. I remember some years ago, before we were married my then girlfriend was denied an Aus tourist visa in Vietnam. The reasons given in writing were, she is female, she is young, she is Vietnamese and therefore a risk of overstaying and working illegally. It's amazing how they can blatantly and in writing, profile a young Vietnamese female but refuse to profile others which could have real ill intent.

• Like 1

We made sure that our application was loaded with support documents...bank statements, letter of sponsorship from myself, photos, 5 land titles owned here in Thailand and land title of Australian property..statements from self employment etc etc. We also mentioned reasons why we would be returning to Thailand and also needed to frequently visit Australia for personal reasons to visit family...plus we have been together for a sufficient amount of time that the Australian Government would realize that we are a 'real' couple and not seeking to overstay...on the other hand i hear what you are saying about your ex girlfriend...guess each application is different and so is the decision...thanks

Hi there padped ... I have to admit I am a little bemused by the Visa.

The reason for the perplexion is that the Visa grant date usually has naught to do with the Visa start date.

The Aust Embassy will grant a Visa and a time by which this Visa must be activated which is usually 3 months from the date of issue.

The Visa usually starts when the holder enters Australia for the first time ... not when it is issued.

All that said, have at look at this Dept of Immigration's web site about VEVO (clickable link)

Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) allows visa holders and
registered Australian organisations, such as employers, labour
suppliers, education providers, migration agents, banks and government
agencies, to check visa details and entitlements.

Should give you all the information that you need to know.

Hope that helps.

EDIT:- Edited to add that my 'gut feeling' is that what your husband has is a 12 month, multi entry Visa, meaning that the Visa validity is 12 months (usually from the date of first entry into Australia. The holder may stay in Australia for a period of up to 3 months each time but must depart Australia within that 3 month period. The Visa holder is then free to enter Australia for another 3 month period.

As an added bonus, if the holder enters Australia just before the expiry of the visa, the total time could be pushed to 15 months.

My gf is due to leave Australia after her Visa has expired. But her stay is valid because she entered before the Visa Expired. We confirmed this with the Aus Embassy in Bangkok before she left recently.

Doing Visa runs ... leaving Australia for a short period before re-entering again may raise an eyebrow ... thus holding a valid Visa does not guarantee entry into Australia ... that is at the discretion of the Immigration Officer.

To be honest ... a simple call to the Embassy would clear up the question for you ... but it's nice to read others experiences.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

Based on several visas issued to my (Thai) wife over several years, this is my understanding:

Your husband can enter and remain in Australia, multiple times, for up to 3 months at a time, until 18 Feb 2014. An entry on that date is good for a further 3 months.

The 12 month validity is based on the date of issue, not the date of first entry ie no matter when the first entry is made, the visa cannot be used after 18 Feb 2014.

• Like 1

Based on several visas issued to my (Thai) wife over several years, this is my understanding:

Your husband can enter and remain in Australia, multiple times, for up to 3 months at a time, until 18 Feb 2014. An entry on that date is good for a further 3 months.

The 12 month validity is based on the date of issue, not the date of first entry ie no matter when the first entry is made, the visa cannot be used after 18 Feb 2014.

My bolding above ...

That's the bit I don't understand ... blink.png

My Lassies Visa, which is a 12 month, multi-entry, wasn't validated until entry the first time into Australia.

She holds a 12 month Visa from the date she entered Australia ... not from the date it was issued.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest to check if there is an 8503 - No further Stay condition. If there isn't then go to Immigration in Australia and ask them what they recommend - they are actually very helpful people.

DAVID 48 wow thank you for scanning those two sheets !!!! BUT unfortunately it doesnt look like either of them !!!!!

It has NO TICKED BOXES !!! if it did then I would be able to understand it..It is set out on Australian Government letterhead VISA GRANT NOTICE

Details of Application : Tourist (classTR) Tourist Visa (subclass 676)

Primary Applicant...husbands name passport etc

Visa Grant Date :18th February 2013

Stay for / Until : 3 months

Entries : Multiple

Last date to arrive 18th February 2014

Conditions

:8101 - No work

8201- Study limitation

So what do you think it is ?? Now you know why I am confused...if it had the ticked boxes then it would be easier to understand...thanks

This is the new format, started around December last year (?). I found mine a tad confusing the first time also.

My bolding above ...

That's the bit I don't understand ... blink.png

My Lassies Visa, which is a 12 month, multi-entry, wasn't validated until entry the first time into Australia.

She holds a 12 month Visa from the date she entered Australia ... not from the date it was issued.

David48 is correct here.

The old Visas (and probably the new ones) had an option where the visa was valid for 3 months from date of issue (the crap visa), or valid for 3 months from date of entry (the good visa)

The OPs visa , as written, is valid for 12 months, multiple times, last entry 18 Feb. If the last entry to OZ is Feb 18 then the person can stay 3 months further from this date.

• Like 1