People's Behaviour On Public Forums

shaggy1969

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know of one real-life fight that erupted because of a long-running animosity on a board like this. I dont know what it is about Bangkok, but apparently living there for more than a year makes one an expert on pretty much everything, and God help anyone who disagrees with you. The only thing that pisses seasoned expats of more than some weekend warrior telling them how things are, is another expat telling them how things are. wink.png

I must admit, I meet more closed-minded/open-mouthed loudly-opinionated expats here (on TV/in person) than anywhere I've ever been (30 countries over 55 years). Is it the water? rolleyes.gif

Of course, I am one of the few remaining objective, courteous, affable and humble posters/expats in LOS. whistling.gif

fookhaht, I havent had a lot to do with expats out in the provinces, but the guys in Bangkok seem particularly obsessed with status - who has the biggest package (no pun intended..), the best condo, lives in the 'right' part of Upper Suk, has a hi-so GF and so on. Fine - I dont have a problem with that - but when chronic mongers suddenly start casting aspersions on everyone else because they've 'seen the light' (amen, brothers!), I'm afraid that get's my blood up. Still, as a weekend warrior, I rate somewhere on a level with tuk-tuk drivers in the Billionaire Boys Club hierarchy, so I'll leave it here.

Out here in the provinces, it's the same story, just a different tune: how cheap they can live, who is "Thai-er than Thou," whose farm can out-produce their Thai neighbors, and who has stagnated here the longest---that is, if they will talk to you at all. Virtually 99% of my associations out here are Thai, and that's why I'm here. Once in a blue moon a "normal" farang comes along, and he/she doesn't stay long. Can't say what this says about me, but like my jaded upcountry expat colleagues, "I don't care." smile.png

Without doubt anonymity fosters more rudeness and more mindless comments. And on that note I think the obsession with anonymity in general social fora like tv is overblown. It's not like tv is another wikileaks. I suspect that society would not be missing out on much wisdom if most of the comments that apparently demand anonymity - here at least - were left unsaid anyway.

fookhaht, I havent had a lot to do with expats out in the provinces, but the guys in Bangkok seem particularly obsessed with status - who has the biggest package (no pun intended..), the best condo, lives in the 'right' part of Upper Suk, has a hi-so GF and so on. Fine - I dont have a problem with that - but when chronic mongers suddenly start casting aspersions on everyone else because they've 'seen the light' (amen, brothers!), I'm afraid that get's my blood up. Still, as a weekend warrior, I rate somewhere on a level with tuk-tuk drivers in the Billionaire Boys Club hierarchy, so I'll leave it here.

Out here in the provinces, it's the same story, just a different tune: how cheap they can live, who is "Thai-er than Thou," whose farm can out-produce their Thai neighbors, and who has stagnated here the longest---that is, if they will talk to you at all. Virtually 99% of my associations out here are Thai, and that's why I'm here. Once in a blue moon a "normal" farang comes along, and he/she doesn't stay long. Can't say what this says about me, but like my jaded upcountry expat colleagues, "I don't care." smile.png
Yep - that proves that "holier than thou" also exists in the boonies ! Edited by cardholder

I strive to be courteous (sarcasm excepted), online or off as a result of an influential quote my grandfather once read out to me: 'you show courtesy to others not because they are gentlement, but because you are one.'

To impose some discipline on myself, I use my real name, and, trust me, my real face is a close facsimile of my avatar (and vice versa).

I agree with Chianmaibruce that there is little reason on a forum such as this for posters to be anonymouse.

T

• Like 1

You can pickout at least half a dozen generalisations in this thread alone that will irk some of the more relaxed less critical, non social climbers, weekend warriors, long term expats........it is not wholly the anonimity that causes 'rude' responses, but more the inabilty of posters to accept that everyone is different, and encounter differing experiences in Thailand according to their individual demeanor, mannerisms, habits, and outlook, compounded by the antagonising stereotyping posters deliver on a regular basis. I don't live in Thailand permanently, so my experiences differ from the stale expat version of Thailand, I'm pleased this is the case and my tolerence for the inconsequential irritants in Thailand remains as high as it does for some of the posters on this board.

Edited by 473geo

there are many expats to however that nothing about Thailand and its people other then the bar culture.

experience does not always come with time, it come with experience, thats why its called experience and not called time.

some people have vast periods of time in a place and just do the same thing day in day out, experiencing nothing.

There are many expats that think they are different (but aren't).

There are also many expats that think their partner is different (but isn't).

The world is full of gullible fools.

PS

I already use a real photo of me as my avatar.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

there are many expats to however that nothing about Thailand and its people other then the bar culture.

experience does not always come with time, it come with experience, thats why its called experience and not called time.

some people have vast periods of time in a place and just do the same thing day in day out, experiencing nothing.

PS

Thanks Tommo couldn't have asked for a more apt example to follow my post.....

I think expats in pattaya are very much like the diverse range of people that seem to be represented here. From the rose tinted glasses crowd to the negative, bitter and twisted crowd, and everything in between.

Sometimes I read an opinion here and think to myself what type of neanderthal holds opinions like this, and I bump into one just like that at the supermarket. And then I see some thought provoking or genuinely helpful posts, and I meet someone who is just like that.

Really, all types! Even the argumentative and nasty types.

there are also many expats that refuse to believe anyone has a nice thai woman.

And when people point out they do certain expats refuse to believe it after being burned in their home country by a western woman, retreating with the tail between their legs to Thailand and getting burned even worse.

I'm not an expat by the way, and it may come as a surprise but all woman are different to each other, not just mine.

so I can safely say yes my wife is different, they all are, what matters is her and my children and I are having the time of our lives.

But many Expats here mostly refuse to believe that some people here are happy.

• Like 2

PS

How do you 2 guys come to the conclusion that all woman are the same, explain it.

• Like 1

there are also many expats that refuse to believe anyone has a nice thai woman.

And when people point out they do certain expats refuse to believe it after being burned in their home country by a western woman, retreating with the tail between their legs to Thailand and getting burned even worse.

I'm not an expat by the way, and it may come as a surprise but all woman are different to each other, not just mine.

so I can safely say yes my wife is different, they all are, what matters is her and my children and I are having the time of our lives.

But many Expats here mostly refuse to believe that some people here are happy.

Unfortunately, some of those expats have had to hold down proper jobs.

It is probably less easy to have " the time of our lives" with that level of responsibility.

I use my nickname people often use in "real" life + a smile given we're in Thailand.

The avatar is a good likeliness of me centuries ago in a former life

With a little extra info in the signature.

What more could you ask for?

Fletch

:)

PS

How do you 2 guys come to the conclusion that all woman are the same, explain it.

You,ve read, followed, understood the thread......so you must now be checking testing my tolerence right? smile.png

I got chatting to a Farang in a bar in Soi 6, Pattaya, anyway, we got shooting the shit after he had come back downstairs from the short time rooms, one thing led to another and he told me of a Forum he belonged to, ThaiVisa....

I told him I was also a member and asked for his TV name, he refused to give it, I thought he was joking, but no, he never gave his nickname drank his drink and left, wonder what " I have never paid for sex, and met my wife at the gates of the university " member that was ? :)

Edited by Banzai99
  • Like 2