Where To Buy Blocks Of Paraffin Wax In Chiang Mai

anselpixel

I'm planning to wax an old courier bag to make it waterproof, and have everything needed for the process except the main ingredient.

In the US, every grocery store had blocks of wax that could be melted down for sealing jars, and making candles. I think it's a petrochemical byproduct, and was always quite cheap. I've looked through the forum without finding anything directly relating to this question, so any help will be most welcome. The picture is of exactly the product I remember, but there are many brands. Any would do just fine.

post-91669-0-25882800-1362926363_thumb.j

I think Jaidee is talking about the same place I'm thinking of.

Start from Central Airport Plaza, travel towards the superhiway on Mahidol Rd (heading East).

Look out on your left, the shop sells swimming pool chemicals.

• Like 1

Thanks! That should take care of this project.

As for the bee's wax, I've not seen any source recommending it for waterproofing heavy fabrics.

Actually, neither have I. But I have seen it in steady use for waterproofing leather. The old standby for the last 50 years for mountaineering boots and the old leather ski boots was a product called 'SnoSeal.' This was a mix of Bee's wax, mink oil, and God only knows what else, but it 'was' the number one go-to product for waterproofing boots. Today's silicon waterproofing compounds are a lot easier to deal with, and probably more compatable with new standards in leather tanning, so SnoSeal is getting harder and harder to find.

• 4 months later...

....rather old thread BUT where is the World Chemcial Company? Is that the pool supply store that was mentioned? I have been using furniture wax, available in CM, to waterproof items. It is soft and easy to spread but has a rather harsh odor for a day or two as the chemical that keeps it soft evaporates. After that, however, it seems to be just like regular paraffin wax with no bad smell. I would also like to try paraffin to see if it has different qualities.

Thank you...