2013 Pattaya Songkran Dates ?

JimmyTheMook

Strange that members, especially long time members, every year again ask for the songkran dates however they have been fixed for as long as the events exists.

Songkran in Thailand starts officially on the 12th and finish on the 19th, and has so for decades if not centuries. During that period the event moves from city to city and last 1 to maximum 3 days at each location.

Only in Pattaya the event lasts for the entire period + at least 1 day.

• Like 1

I arrive early on the 11th at BKK and will try and get to Chai Nat, will I make it?

On the 11th the only place where you have a chance to get wet is Pattaya.

Probably means the traffic (maybe driving) and may be jammed up already and all those accidents too...so who knows if/when you'll arrive in Chai Nat.

I arrive early on the 11th at BKK and will try and get to Chai Nat, will I make it?

On the 11th the only place where you have a chance to get wet is Pattaya.

Probably means the traffic (maybe driving) and may be jammed up already and all those accidents too...so who knows if/when you'll arrive in Chai Nat.

You're rightabout that, I hadn't taken into account that there will be a lot of traffic going out of Bangkok on that day, however I guess it will start late afternoon as the 11th isn't a holiday yet.

Strange that members, especially long time members, every year again ask for the songkran dates however they have been fixed for as long as the events exists.

Hey can you also tell me where to get the best English Brekkie in Pattaya ?

You are sad

• Like 1

Hey can you also tell me where to get the best English Brekkie in Pattaya ?

I would but only problem is, there is no such thing biggrin.png

Songkran in Thailand starts officially on the 12th and finish on the 19th, and has so for decades if not centuries. During that period the event moves from city to city and last 1 to maximum 3 days at each location.

Really ?

I thought officially it was the 13th to the 15th but varies year to year due to what ever dates the gumbyment decides to give out as public holidays with Pattaya just doing its own thing for a few extra days.

Edited by Spoonman

Really ?

I thought officially it was the 13th to the 15th but varies year to year due to what ever dates the gumbyment decides to give out as public holidays with Pattaya just doing its own thing for a few extra days.

You're right, I missed the start of the official Songkran with a day. It starts on the 13th instead of the 12th, but these dates are fixed.

The Songkran festival (Thai: สงกรานต์ (Pronunciation), Khmer: សង្រ្កាន្ត; from the Sanskrit word saṃkrānti,[1] or literally "astrological passage") is celebrated in Thailand as the traditional New Year's Day from 13 to 15 April. It coincides with the New Year of many calendars of South and Southeast Asia.

The date of the festival was originally set by astrological calculation, but it is now fixed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songkran_(Thailand)

It is also known that 16 or 17th is Bang Saen the 18th is a fixed date for Naklua and 19th a fixed date for Pattaya, however every year they start throwing water in Pattaya in the afternoon of the 11th and continue with that untill the 19th.

A search in the TV database will show you that each year they start on the 11th in Pattaya

Really ?

You're right, I missed the start of the official Songkran with a day. It starts on the 13th instead of the 12th, but these dates are fixed.

The Songkran festival (Thai: สงกรานต์ (Pronunciation), Khmer: សង្រ្កាន្ត; from the Sanskrit word saṃkrānti,[1] or literally "astrological passage") is celebrated in Thailand as the traditional New Year's Day from 13 to 15 April. It coincides with the New Year of many calendars of South and Southeast Asia.

The date of the festival was originally set by astrological calculation, but it is now fixed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songkran_(Thailand)

It is also known that 16 or 17th is Bang Saen the 18th is a fixed date for Naklua and 19th a fixed date for Pattaya, however every year they start throwing water in Pattaya in the afternoon of the 11th and continue with that untill the 19th.

A search in the TV database will show you that each year they start on the 11th in Pattaya

Last year I escaped Songkran in Pattaya going to Phuket on the first day here.I was pleasantly surprised arriving in Phuket to find out that Songkran (luckily) was finished that day thumbsup.gif .Don`t remember the dates,though.

"It is also known that 16 or 17th is Bang Saen the 18th is a fixed
date for Naklua and 19th a fixed date for Pattaya, however every year
they start throwing water in Pattaya in the afternoon of the 11th and
continue with that untill the 19th."

There may be a few people who begin throwing water on the 12th, but I have lived in Pattaya now for 10 years and I can assure you that the Songkran festivities do not begin until the morning of the 13th. And they end on the 19th in the evening. I have never seen one drop of water on the 20th and hardly any before the 13th.

Every year we have this discussion and every year the answer is the same, but there are always those who make unsubstantiated claims. Songkran is a three day national holiday starting from April 13 (every single year!), but some localities (like Pattaya) have a special "water day". Since Pattaya's is on the 19th, people continue to celebrate on the 16th, 17th and 18th.

"A search in the TV database will show you that each year they start on the 11th in Pattaya"

Can you please tell us what is the 'TV database' and show us exactly what shows them starting on the 11th?

• Like 1

"It is also known that 16 or 17th is Bang Saen the 18th is a fixed

date for Naklua and 19th a fixed date for Pattaya, however every year

they start throwing water in Pattaya in the afternoon of the 11th and

continue with that untill the 19th."

There may be a few people who begin throwing water on the 12th, but I have lived in Pattaya now for 10 years and I can assure you that the Songkran festivities do not begin until the morning of the 13th. And they end on the 19th in the evening. I have never seen one drop of water on the 20th and hardly any before the 13th.

Oh, I've lived in PTY a lot longer than you have and I can assure that the water throwing (as opposed to the so-called "festivities") starts on the 11th. You live on the Darkside, maybe?

Every year we have this discussion and every year the answer is the same, but there are always those who make unsubstantiated claims. Songkran is a three day national holiday starting from April 13 (every single year!), but some localities (like Pattaya) have a special "water day". Since Pattaya's is on the 19th, people continue to celebrate on the 16th, 17th and 18th.\

No, they aren't unsubstantiated at all. Reports start coming in here to the forum soon as it starts and they are verified.

"A search in the TV database will show you that each year they start on the 11th in Pattaya"

Can you please tell us what is the 'TV database' and show us exactly what shows them starting on the 11th?

Can't you search for yourself? We gotta spoonfeed?

It's a little early for the annual HATE SONGKRAN thread. This isn't it.

revision

Leave noonish on the 12th come back 20th.

That's eight nights away, seems less than usual or no?

Sounds good. Me, I leave a bit more margin, a few more days before and after, but you should be OK. Much of the earliest action is around the big bar areas on Beach Rd and 2nd Rd., notably but not exclusively at Sois 7 and 8, packed with the idiot farang water hooligans. Avoid such areas on your way out if possible.

• Like 1

I know Songkran is meant to finish on the 19th but, since the 20th and 21st are Saturday and Sunday, I would hazard a guess and a large wager that the party will continue in Pattaya

OK this is getting boring.

I have experienced Songkran in Thailand/Pattaya since 1994. For the past 11 years my house has been located in Pattaya Central, 3rd Road area. I have never, ever seen it continue past the 19th April regardless of which day it falls on. If you have ever experienced the 19th April in Pattaya you will see it stops around 6pm and then the traffic jams start as people travel back home.

• Like 2

Racist post removed also quoted replies, please see the following rule:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.