Health Warning To Fellow Farangs!

pomozki

I am unclear as to why there is so much concern of the use of MSG in asian cooking. Japan, where MSG originated and is used very widely. Has the longest life expectancy of all countries. While some people are allergic to MSG and can not eat it, the vast majority of people can consume it with no proven ill effects. I am old enough to remember when the MSG hysteria started. From all the reading I have done in the past few years, MSG appears to be a harmless flavor enhancer.

eating food prepared with msg, depending on the doses used, gives me guaranteed, outbreacks of soares-like outbreacks mainly on the arms, sometimes on the chest.These pimperlike soares are sometimes rather big (-ger than the "normal pimper), scary red, looking like burns coming from within and they are visibale for 5-6 days the least......when i and my partner realize that we are eating food prepared with generous use of msg, we always know when the symtoms are to be expected....i live here for over a decade, and it happens again and again....what better proove?....of course not all people have the same "sensitivity".....i guess i'm lucky(????) to have my body reacting this way ; is it that i'm allergic to msg?....then i hope this is a blessing....just sharing my experiencewai2.gif

I read somewhere that MSG blocks some chemical interfaces that then effectively stops the production of the chemical to make Telemares. Telemares afe "caps" at the end of DNA and stops it unwinding. A bit like the plastic cap at the end of a shoelace.

As you get older and the telemares get shorter there is more DNA damage leading to illness of every sort.

I have been especially vague because I think it's best that anyone who is interested does his own research.

That way he can make his own judgements about what is true and what is not.

Google is very easy to use.

There are some on this forum who would say that you are wrong in expressing your experience and unless they see "Scientific evidence" such stories are worse than useless.

I love stories like yours and I accept them as being the truth of your experience. Thank you.

wai2.gif

You're most welcome Sir,that's very nice of you to say.

At first i felt reluctant to do this after reading some of the comments here ridiculating the negative effects of msg. The soares sometimes can be as bad looking as if burned by a cigarette.....these could hardly be inflicted by my "imagination" as one poster here insinuated.

Much obliged.

• Like 1

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fruit juices are bad in general. The proper thing to do is to eat the whole fruit, it seems that the natural fibre slows the sugar absorption rate down and helps to avoid insulin spikes.

Sad but true. But then you also have to aware of how sugary the fruits themselves are and stick to those w/ less, as a poster above noted. Good news: tomato is a fruit. smile.png Berries are good. Frozen strawberries aren't TOO expensive here in LOS. Wish blueberries weren't.

Even worse macro stocked nice frozen blueberries but they changed brand and now they stock aro ones that are much smaler as the brand they previously hand.

Fruit juices are bad in general. The proper thing to do is to eat the whole fruit, it seems that the natural fibre slows the sugar absorption rate down and helps to avoid insulin spikes.

Sad but true. But then you also have to aware of how sugary the fruits themselves are and stick to those w/ less, as a poster above noted. Good news: tomato is a fruit. smile.png Berries are good. Frozen strawberries aren't TOO expensive here in LOS. Wish blueberries weren't.

Even worse macro stocked nice frozen blueberries but they changed brand and now they stock aro ones that are much smaler as the brand they previously hand.

Living in the district of Samut Sakhon makes it almost impossible to find Farang shops so I don't have that choice. I don't drive a car here and that doesn't help either.

Everything is geared for the Ferengi.

My general rule is if it's white I don't eat it. (rice, potatoes etc.)

I eat mainly veggies and a little chicken, eggs and fruit.

I calculated i pay double the amount that i could pay if I only ate street food. Guess its true that everyhing has its price.

I dont really worry about the cost of food and vitamins which set me back quite a bit each month because I dont spend much on going out or on alcohol.

Further all the money I save on not getting sick via doctors bills, operations and days off work make it well worth while to spend extra.

I am back working in Oz and the quality of the food here is far superior to what i can get in Thailand so I am feeling better than ever.

Tolley,

I was not complaining actually I knew it was going to be more expensive as i use much more meat and other quality ingredients that you don't get at street food. I just made some coparisons, i make much more money as i spend so things are ok.

Just calculated everything, its in my nature to do stuff like that as i work with numbers all the time.

• Like 1

I calculated i pay double the amount that i could pay if I only ate street food. Guess its true that everyhing has its price.

I dont really worry about the cost of food and vitamins which set me back quite a bit each month because I dont spend much on going out or on alcohol.

Further all the money I save on not getting sick via doctors bills, operations and days off work make it well worth while to spend extra.

I am back working in Oz and the quality of the food here is far superior to what i can get in Thailand so I am feeling better than ever.

Tolley,

I was not complaining actually I knew it was going to be more expensive as i use much more meat and other quality ingredients that you don't get at street food. I just made some coparisons, i make much more money as i spend so things are ok.

Just calculated everything, its in my nature to do stuff like that as i work with numbers all the time.

Typical bean countersmile.png

Tolley,

Occupational deformation (not sure its a correct term but we call it this way in Dutch). That is also why i counted calories (plus that it was hard for me to loose weight). But now i still do but just eat a bit more but, not counting it but I got a general idea now of how much something is.

But since i stopped loosing weight i eat a bit more now, it does help my exercise also stopped rowing like crazy and put a bit more rest in my program. Weight has gone up just slightly but probably muscle. But the good thing is that im not real hungry anymore during the day and night. Plust that this weight now seems to be my new set point as long as I don't really pig out all the time.

Much better as when I was loosing weight, I might go for a stint of weightloss (fat) again in may or so. But first i let my body recover from a year of being on a caloric deficit. But fun thing is im in real low fat nr already looking as lean as many a skinny guy but with the bulk. Just want to see how far down I can go.

Call it a bit of an obsession but for someone who never could get good abs back in his youth despite training good (but lacking in diet wisdom) its something that i just want get as best as its going to get. I see it as a long term challenge.

• Like 1

Tolley,

if you don't measure it then you can't manage it.

Doesn't have to be long term. Calc the foods you eat and then just calc the changes that are implemented.

This stuff should be taught in school around the world.

• Like 1

I counted the calories for a while just my regular meals. But once you got that worked out and you weigh it you never have to go through that trouble again. After a while you have a good idea about what is what.

And yes i am of the if you cant measure it you can't manage it. Problem is things like fat levels on a body are hard to measure. Weight loss might be due to holding onto less water.. loosing muscle.. hormonal changes (again water) or loss in fat. It pisses me off that i cant really meassure it

Even a skin caliper is not that accurate plus those scales that show percentages are even worse. Anyway its hard to do but gratifying if it works.

God i hate the new quoting sytem

I am unclear as to why there is so much concern of the use of MSG in asian cooking. Japan, where MSG originated and is used very widely. Has the longest life expectancy of all countries. While some people are allergic to MSG and can not eat it, the vast majority of people can consume it with no proven ill effects. I am old enough to remember when the MSG hysteria started. From all the reading I have done in the past few years, MSG appears to be a harmless flavor enhancer.

eating food prepared with msg, depending on the doses used, gives me guaranteed, outbreacks of soares-like outbreacks mainly on the arms, sometimes on the chest.These pimperlike soares are sometimes rather big (-ger than the "normal pimper), scary red, looking like burns coming from within and they are visibale for 5-6 days the least......when i and my partner realize that we are eating food prepared with generous use of msg, we always know when the symtoms are to be expected....i live here for over a decade, and it happens again and again....what better proove?....of course not all people have the same "sensitivity".....i guess i'm lucky(????) to have my body reacting this way ; is it that i'm allergic to msg?....then i hope this is a blessing....just sharing my experiencewai2.gif

I read somewhere that MSG blocks some chemical interfaces that then effectively stops the production of the chemical to make Telemares. Telemares afe "caps" at the end of DNA and stops it unwinding. A bit like the plastic cap at the end of a shoelace.

As you get older and the telemares get shorter there is more DNA damage leading to illness of every sort.

I have been especially vague because I think it's best that anyone who is interested does his own research.

That way he can make his own judgements about what is true and what is not.

Google is very easy to use.

There are some on this forum who would say that you are wrong in expressing your experience and unless they see "Scientific evidence" such stories are worse than useless.

I love stories like yours and I accept them as being the truth of your experience. Thank you.

wai2.gif

You're most welcome Sir,that's very nice of you to say.

At first i felt reluctant to do this after reading some of the comments here ridiculating the negative effects of msg. The soares sometimes can be as bad looking as if burned by a cigarette.....these could hardly be inflicted by my "imagination" as one poster here insinuated.

Much obliged.

Science is wonderful and that's for sure - but it's not all there is and never will be.

Science does the best it can with the discoveries that are made with the tools and thinking that are available at that time and certain things are then known as "The Truth".

All is OK until Science develops new tools or has new ideas and discovers something new that disproves the older "Truth", then everything is changes and replaced by a "New Truth", and so it goes on, evolving, everything changes - always.

The sharing of thoughts, feelings and experience are useful in triggering more thoughts and feelings in others and eventually, a "New Truth" may emerge.

Science is good when it is honestly done and honestly reported. The good, bad and unexpected - all reported.

We can then accept honest mistakes.

What is unacceptable is the use of Science by unscrupulous people who hide the truth by not reporting it and or manulipulate the trials until they are able to issue a report that supports the desired outcome of their sponsor or employer.

Such Science tells us that artificial sweeteners are better than sugar and that MSG is good for us, to mention only two items.

I agree with your comment that you are lucky to have a body that reacts in a very obvious bad way to a chemical that you can avoid. The rest of us may not be so lucky and considerable damage may be done in regular small doses over a life span that reduces the quality of life by inducing any of the debilitating diseases that start appearing, typically after 50.

The Nay Sayers and Quackwatchers are entitled to their opinion but I really don't appreciate it when they use their point of view and or a lack of "Scientific Proof" to intimidate and rubbish the experiences of others with unsubstantiated personal evidence, of a thing or result, that they don't agree with.

• Like 2

I counted the calories for a while just my regular meals. But once you got that worked out and you weigh it you never have to go through that trouble again. After a while you have a good idea about what is what.

And yes i am of the if you cant measure it you can't manage it. Problem is things like fat levels on a body are hard to measure. Weight loss might be due to holding onto less water.. loosing muscle.. hormonal changes (again water) or loss in fat. It pisses me off that i cant really meassure it

Even a skin caliper is not that accurate plus those scales that show percentages are even worse. Anyway its hard to do but gratifying if it works.

I have never measured or counted calories.

Not saying it doesnt have its place but there are a lot of other factors to consider than just plain calories.

eg blood sugar levels, digestive health, physical activity, thyroid levels etc etc etc

• Like 1

I have never measured or counted calories.

Not saying it doesnt have its place but there are a lot of other factors to consider than just plain calories.

eg blood sugar levels, digestive health, physical activity, thyroid levels etc etc etc

Of course, but when you know what your weight does at a certain amount of calories you can adjust it.

Actually had my thyroid tested and its low, blood sugar i test too and its good.

Of course by counting calories you make sure that other variables are already taken care off you get your calories from good food.

calories are just part of the picture.

The macronutrient ratios are much more interesting Protein/carb/Fat

As well as Omega 3 / Omega 6 fatty acid ratio

Micronutrients like Vit D, Magnesium

Sodium levels

SImple carb to slower carbs

Calories are significant but can be misleading.

Mike Dolce who is the Dolce Diet guy and high profile trainer in the Mixed Martial Arts world says it best.

"Don't count calories.. Make calories count"

By that he means pack in the highest nutrition per calorie

• Like 2

Sodium levels

Mike Dolce who is the Dolce Diet guy and high profile trainer in the Mixed Martial Arts world says it best.

I agree get the most and best out of your allowed calories, you can loose weight on eating at Mc Donalds if you make sure the calories are low enough. But it won't do your health much good.

But i just thought it was common sense that people who counted calories would also go for quality food.

Sodium levels

I agree get the most and best out of your allowed calories, you can loose weight on eating at Mc Donalds if you make sure the calories are low enough. But it won't do your health much good.

But i just thought it was common sense that people who counted calories would also go for quality food.

Common sense, what's that?

Actually, we are told so many lies by the food and drink industry that it's no surprise that people are eating nutritionally "empty" calories like HFCS.

The fat lady eating a battered, deep fried Mars Bar, said she had no idea why she was fat!

Sodium levels

Actually, we are told so many lies by the food and drink industry that it's no surprise that people are eating nutritionally "empty" calories like HFCS.

The fat lady eating a battered, deep fried Mars Bar, said she had no idea why she was fat!

True, but if you already result to calorie counting im sure you have read up on some things before that. Anyway yes we are told many lies and its hard to find the truth at times and what works for one does not work for an other.

Sodium levels

True, but if you already result to calorie counting im sure you have read up on some things before that. Anyway yes we are told many lies and its hard to find the truth at times and what works for one does not work for an other.

many diets use calorie counting and many give no nutrition information, just the calorific content.

Niacin May Lower Cholesterol Without Affecting Glucose Levels

The B vitamin niacin (nicotinic acid) is well-known to positively affect cholesterol levels, particularly by increasing levels of HDL cholesterol, but is not currently recommended for diabetic patients due to concerns that it might adversely impact upon control of blood glucose levels.

However, the authors of a new study note that this recommendation is not based upon adequate evidence, so they decided to investigate further both the safety and efficacy of niacin in diabetic patients.

A prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial was conducted in 6 clinical centers from August 1993 to December 1995.

A total of 468 participants were studied, including 125 with diabetes, who had diagnosed peripheral arterial disease.

Participants were randomly assigned to receive niacin - 3000 mg/d or maximum tolerated dosage or placebo for up to 60 weeks.

Researchers measured cholesterol, glucose, hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c), alanine aminotransferase, and uric acid levels, in addition to monitoring hypoglycemic drug use; compliance; and adverse events.

Niacin use had similar effects on lipid parameters in patients with and without diabetes such as:

• Increased HDL cholesterol by 29% in both groups

• Decreased triglycerides by 23% and 28%

• Decreased LDL cholesterol by 8% and 9%

However, glucose levels were modestly increased by niacin by 8.7 and 6.3 mg/dL in participants with and without diabetes, respectively.

Levels of HbA1c were unchanged by niacin use in participants with diabetes.

The authors state that "Our study suggests that lipid-modifying dosages of niacin can be safely used in patients with diabetes and that niacin therapy may be considered as an alternative to statin drugs or fibrates for patients with diabetes in whom these agents are not tolerated or fail to sufficiently correct hypertriglyceridemia or low HDL-C levels."

agree get the most and best out of your allowed calories, you can loose weight on eating at Mc Donalds if you make sure the calories are low enough. But it won't do your health much good.

Sodium levels

many diets use calorie counting and many give no nutrition information, just the calorific content.

I have only seen websites with calorie counting numbers that also give the amount of proteins and fat and carbs. To be honest I have never seen just calories. But then again, never went for diets just information.

• Like 1

I wanted to follow up on this Niacin thing, because it's a really interesting story and the view on Niacin has changed radically just in the last year or so.

Niacin had one enormous problem - bad side effects. This will be a surprise to people who think a "natural" vitamin can't have these, but in fact the drug causes massive and uncomfortable flushing in about 30% of patients who take it, and they usually stop because it's so bad.

The reason for this is known: it causes prostaglandin production from skin cells. So Merck thought, lets add a prostaglandin inhibitor to the Niacin : this will stop the flushing and the drug will be able to be tolerated by patients. They developed this combination (called Tredaptive) , but the FDA refused to approve it, even though Niacin has been prescribed for 40 years and is just a vitamin. The FDA made Merck do a massive trial to prove positive effects on heart disease, and that it was safe.

This is what happened:

" researchers from Oxford University presented data from a 25,673 patient clinical trial funded by Merck that many doctors say should probably end the widespread use of the B vitamin niacin as a heart drug, both because a pill containing extended-release niacin didn’t prevent heart attacks and strokes and because it caused increases in diabetes complications, bleeding, and infections.
“It makes the whole premise of using niacin not only in question but ready to be retired,” said Clyde Yancy, chief of the division of medicine at theNorthwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, who was not involved in the study. “It’s no longer relevant in today’s world.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2013/03/11/some-experts-defend-niacin-for-heart-disease-after-failed-study/

So the FDA won't approve it, Merck have withdrawn it, and the public have been protected. And vitamins can harm you.

Many people here would believe that the FDA automatically approve drugs for their big pharma masters. I think this shows how the drug research and approval system CAN work to protect the public, although I agree that it quite frequently fails.

I wanted to follow up on this Niacin thing, because it's a really interesting story and the view on Niacin has changed radically just in the last year or so.

Niacin had one enormous problem - bad side effects. This will be a surprise to people who think a "natural" vitamin can't have these, but in fact the drug causes massive and uncomfortable flushing in about 30% of patients who take it, and they usually stop because it's so bad.

The reason for this is known: it causes prostaglandin production from skin cells. So Merck thought, lets add a prostaglandin inhibitor to the Niacin : this will stop the flushing and the drug will be able to be tolerated by patients. They developed this combination (called Tredaptive) , but the FDA refused to approve it, even though Niacin has been prescribed for 40 years and is just a vitamin. The FDA made Merck do a massive trial to prove positive effects on heart disease, and that it was safe.

This is what happened:

" researchers from Oxford University presented data from a 25,673 patient clinical trial funded by Merck that many doctors say should probably end the widespread use of the B vitamin niacin as a heart drug, both because a pill containing extended-release niacin didn’t prevent heart attacks and strokes and because it caused increases in diabetes complications, bleeding, and infections.

“It makes the whole premise of using niacin not only in question but ready to be retired,” said Clyde Yancy, chief of the division of medicine at theNorthwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, who was not involved in the study. “It’s no longer relevant in today’s world.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2013/03/11/some-experts-defend-niacin-for-heart-disease-after-failed-study/

So the FDA won't approve it, Merck have withdrawn it, and the public have been protected. And vitamins can harm you.

Many people here would believe that the FDA automatically approve drugs for their big pharma masters. I think this shows how the drug research and approval system CAN work to protect the public, although I agree that it quite frequently fails.

your really swerving all over the road between a micronutrient, a vitamin and a pharmaceutical drug.

• Like 1

This is what happened:

your really swerving all over the road between a micronutrient, a vitamin and a pharmaceutical drug.

No it's the same chemical compound. Those different names don't imply a different chemical structure, just a different context of discussion. I mean the molecule that looks like this, that is sold by Abbott as Niaspan, and by many Indian chemical companies as generic Niacin.

post-26070-0-72538800-1363871901.png

Doi Kham brand. Pure fruit juice and no added anything AFAIK.

Their lychee juice is spectacular.

I was checking the fruit juice labels in the stores today, based on the standard amount of sugars per serving... if the labels are to be believed:

Basically, all the Malee brands I looked at all seemed to have 20+ grams of sugar per standard serving, usually in the 20-24 gram range, as I recall.

The Malee 50% raspberry/50% strawberry juice I've been drinking (with a big product labels saying "No Sugar Added," has 22 grams, according to the label.

The Tipco brands I looked at seemed a bit lower, ranging from the high teens to low 20s for grams of sugar.

The Doi Kham 100% strawberry label says its serving contains 8 grams of sugar.

Hmmm......

• Like 1

Doi Kham brand. Pure fruit juice and no added anything AFAIK.

Their lychee juice is spectacular.

I was checking the fruit juice labels in the stores today, based on the standard amount of sugars per serving... if the labels are to be believed:

Basically, all the Malee brands I looked at all seemed to have 20+ grams of sugar per standard serving, usually in the 20-24 gram range, as I recall.

The Malee 50% raspberry/50% strawberry juice I've been drinking (with a big product labels saying "No Sugar Added," has 22 grams, according to the label.

The Tipco brands I looked at seemed a bit lower, ranging from the high teens to low 20s for grams of sugar.

The Doi Kham 100% strawberry label says its serving contains 8 grams of sugar.

Hmmm......

so they say "no sugar added" ... then admit the standard serving has 22 grams on a different label? strange - maybe the 22 grams is natural sugar? anyway, it's a shame, I was definitely gonna go out and buy some of that lychee version

You're confusing my post and the different products I mention.

The Malee brand (50% strawberry and 50% raspberry) was the one with 22 g of sugars per serving, reported on its nutrition label.

The Doi Kham brand's nutrition label for 100% strawberry juice says 8 grams of sugar per serving.

On the front of the Malee brand carton, in big print, it says "no sugar added."

The Malee brand (50% strawberry and 50% raspberry) was the one with 22 g of sugars per serving, reported on its nutrition label.

The Doi Kham brand's nutrition label for 100% strawberry juice says 8 grams of sugar per serving.

DOes the sugar content include the fructose in the fruit, or only the added glucose and sucrose?

DOes the sugar content include the fructose in the fruit, or only the added glucose and sucrose?

I would say it should have the total content of fructose and sucrose. But then again I don't make the labels.

Presumably, the "sugars" level per serving on the nutrition label reflects all sugars from all sources in the product.

FWIW, the Malee label also claims 100% juice from fruit juice concentrate and "no sugar added." There is no fructose or sucrose shown as an ingredient on the contents label.

So how they come up with a berry juice that appears to have nearly 3 times the sugars level of the similar Doi Kham 100% strawberry juice, I'd be real curious to know.

BTW, the standard fruit juice serving size on the nutrition labels is listed as 200ml, or 1/5th of a litre carton.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I would say it should have the total content of fructose and sucrose. But then again I don't make the labels.

So if they use good sweet ripe fruit there will be plenty of sugar, if they use unripe bitter sour fruit they'll need to add lots to get the same sugar content.

SC

So if they use good sweet ripe fruit there will be plenty of sugar, if they use unripe bitter sour fruit they'll need to add lots to get the same sugar content.

SC

Good reasoning, that would mean that the ones that don't add sugar might have a problem delivering the same taste all the time.

Edited by robblok