Bosiet+Huet Courses In Thailand

britgent

I can't remember exactly Nam, but I think if the certificate was to be used for working in Thailand they give you some sort of document or card along with your Boiset or Foet certificate which I assume helps permit you to work there, which i assumed was why I was asked and had to confirm it on paper that I wasn't working in LOS but since I've never worked in the Gulf of Thailand southpeel will probably clarify better,

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember exactly Nam, but I think if the certificate was to be used for working in Thailand they give you some sort of document or card along with your Boiset or Foet certificate which I assume helps permit you to work there, which i assumed was why I was asked and had to confirm it on paper that I wasn't working in LOS but since I've never worked in the Gulf of Thailand southpeel will probably clarify better,

jonny, certainly in the years I have worked the gulf, there has never been a requirement to provide a letter from the company stating I do or dont work in Thailand, having a BOSIET has nothing to do with the getting any form of other "permit" for the gulf, ie WP etc

what the guys get from the training companies is exactly the same as someone who doesnt work the gulf, I am at a loss as to why they would even ask for this letter.

The only differences I know of which are "unique" to the gulf, are that validity of your BOSIET ticket is 3 years (even for the OPITO ticket) versus the 4 years OPITO state, but the FOET is 4 years, medicals are an annual legal requirement, as opposed to the 2 year validity elsewhere, but even with this being said, recognised training (OPITO) from companies outside Thailand are recognised in the gulf

I assume you guys also get a separate "card" for crew boat transfers ? ie use of swing ropes off the back of a crew boat?

Bit of stange one asking for a letter sorry I dont have a definitve answer for you on this one,

The only thing I can think of (guessing) is that seeing at the training companies are tied into the DMF (Thai goverment department) and maybe the lists of people being training are being sent to them for some reason, and they are comparing the farang names on the list versus the names of people they have approved to work offshore in the gulf, ie they are checking people are not working illegally offshore and the letter serves to confirm these people do not work in the gulf.

many years ago there were quite large numbers of farangs working offshore who were flipping in and out on 30 visa waivers and working offshore,immigration and the DMF were not happy bunnies.

any what I have written maybe filed under "speculation"...but for me its the only thing that would make sense

Possibly something to do with that DMF that you mentioned Southpeel, as I mentioned I'm not 100% sure since it wasn't relevant to me I didn't really think too much about it at the time, I just recall somewhere at the back of my rapidly shrinking brain something about a declaration that I wouldn't be working in Thailand,,,

Thanks for bringing to my attention Karen,, I could have tried to fob it off as a typo or this bloody touchscreen interpreting my words for me,, but I hold my hands up to this one,,, apologies Soutpeel

as a reward for being honest you have won the first prize of an extra 2 weeks offshore on top of your current hitch...tongue.png

Hey guys, seems to be a few people here that will be able to help. I am working as a chief electrician (3+years) on a land rig and would like to get a foot in offshore, what courses would be recommended to help to get in? Just BOSIET?

depends where you want to work, but the BOSIET is the starting point, if your not sure where you will end up, the full OPITO BOSIET, ie re-breather/survival suit..is the way to go, but if only working tropical waters, just do the T-BOSIET

Generally wouldnt need anything else, most places - BOSIET/Medical

• Like 1

scottyinthai, on 02 Apr 2013 - 02:31, said:

Hey guys, seems to be a few people here that will be able to help. I am working as a chief electrician (3+years) on a land rig and would like to get a foot in offshore, what courses would be recommended to help to get in? Just BOSIET?

Go ahead and get the offshore medical FIRST as you will need that certificate to enroll on any sort of BOSIET course. Bamrungrad in Bangkok is the OGUK (industry recognised) medical testing facility for Thailand. As mentioned, some local operators may have their own add-on medicals but it is safe to claim that the OGUK medical is an industry recognised 'endorsement' and may earn you a waiver on any area-specific medical tests.

The OGUK medical in itself is not that onerous but I would recommend that if you are over 45, you should get a regular medical exam at your local hospital first; one that checks for the usual show-stoppers such as onset diabetes, hypertension, etc.. Pretty much anything that requires a regimen of daily medication. A friend of mine developed hypertension some time between his 2-year OGUK medical examinations and had to pull out of a project at the last minute while he worked with the medication that his MD prescribed. Offshore workers generally will have a medical examination history that prevents most 'blind sides' but if you haven't had any sort of medical exam in the past 10 years, regardless of your current age, failing the OGUK medical is the wrong way to discover you have any problems. Plus you avoid having to pay for two OGUK examinations (the one you failed and the one you eventually pass).

Back to your question; it is arguable that having a valid BOSIET will leverage your offshore job search in any way. If you reside in Thailand, both the training facilities mentioned in this thread have pretty much immediate vacancies in that they each run 2 courses per week. My recommendation would be to save the 40k baht until such time as a firm offshore job offer comes up. It is unlikely you would get such an 'immediate start' job offer as to preclude getting the BOSIET done in time.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Just to update on Nan's information, I see that Samitivej hospital is also an option for the OGUK medical according to the below link of registered Doctors, although personally I've always used Bumrungrad

http://www.oilandgasuk.co.uk/knowledgecentre/doctors-list.cfm

quote name='NanLaew' Bamrungrad in Bangkok is the OGUK (industry recognised) medical testing facility for Thailand. As mentioned, some local operators may have their own add-on medicals but it is safe to claim that the OGUK medical is an industry recognised 'endorsement' and may earn you a waiver on any area-specific medical tests.

KarenBravo, on 06 Apr 2013 - 04:27, said:

I have type 2 diabetes and it certainly isn't a "show-stopper".

As long as it's known and being treated, there is no problem.

Correct.

Previously diagnosed and properly medicated diabetes and hypertension do not prevent one working offshore. The example I gave was clearly of someone who was unaware that he had hypertension BEFORE going for his 'routine' offshore medical renewal whereupon they refused to issue the medical certificate. It was certainly a show-stopper for him as I had to jump in at short notice to cover his position. He happily takes his meds now and carries on as normal like KB does but it took him 6 months to get a clean bill of health. Like KB, he has to declare his medical condition and the medication he is taking to the offshore medic/nurse on the facility/vessel he is assigned to.

If the OP is already has been diagnosed with some condition, then all he needs to do is declare it and the medication before they start the medical... and if he gets a job offshore, make sure he brings enough meds for his tour of duty. New hires take note!

I was just making sure that the OP is aware that if he has absolutely no history of ANY medical checkups and he is no longer a whippersnapper, he may not know what they will find and some conditions will definitely piss on his offshore rodeo.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update on Nan's information, I see that Samitivej hospital is also an option for the OGUK medical according to the below link of registered Doctors, although personally I've always used Bumrungrad http://www.oilandgasuk.co.uk/knowledgecentre/doctors-list.cfm quote name='NanLaew' Bamrungrad in Bangkok is the OGUK (industry recognised) medical testing facility for Thailand. As mentioned, some local operators may have their own add-on medicals but it is safe to claim that the OGUK medical is an industry recognised 'endorsement' and may earn you a waiver on any area-specific medical tests.

A OGUK medical is recognised in Thai waters, only difference is the 2 year validity is not accepted...you have to do a medical every 12 months, which is not the operators requirement but Thai law

Damn,,, looks like I've already picked up that prize,,, they've rewarded me with an extra 2 weeks,,,, not so bad off to dry dock thereafter, so about 3 months at home,, not allowing for coursework

[quote name='Soutpeel'

as a reward for being honest you have won the first prize of an extra 2 weeks offshore on top of your current hitch...

^ As above I did my FOET 1 day refresher last year at MOGIT, all done in a few hours for the same price. They are now OPITO approved so better than in previous years and saves the hassle of going to CTSI in the Philippines or Malaysia.

I believe Falck are on the expensive side??

Just to add again MOGIT is now 100% OPITO approved - dry suits, rebreathers etc...

Falk are expensive and their facility stinks, not the equipment or people, nope the air from some animal processing place around there, makes you wanna puke!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I asked this before in this forum or another, too much boozing. The FRC MOGIT course in Songkla is Opito approved or not? And is it recognised on Norski and Singapore registered ships, Rigs and FPSOs?

Not sure if I asked this before in this forum or another, too much boozing. The FRC MOGIT course in Songkla is Opito approved or not? And is it recognised on Norski and Singapore registered ships, Rigs and FPSOs?

Why dont you ask MOGIT

Why dont you ask MOGIT

You have obviously never had the joy of speaking to them on the phone.

err yes I have many times...and the guy who runs the whole organisation and is based at the Laem Chabang branch is an expat...

so maybe its your ability to articulate thats the problem... wink.png

I only did one course there and only got to speak to Thais on the phone. A little bit frustrating. Whats the expat blokes name? That is actually most helpful.

The guys name is Daryl Brighouse, he is the MD or CEO what ever his title is, but the training manager is from the Phillipines and speaks excellent english as well...these people are in Laem Chabang not Songkhla (this is a branch facility)

• Like 1

I am possibly away to book nyself onto the BOISET course for next week. I have contacted Falck Nutec and they have spaces for both cources next week, mon-wed and wed-fri. I am going to go and get a medical done sometime before then but was looking for decent priced hotels nearby to the course centre. My wife and son will be with me so somewhere suffice for them as well please.

Any tips on the course itself?

Cheers

I am possibly away to book nyself onto the BOISET course for next week. I have contacted Falck Nutec and they have spaces for both cources next week, mon-wed and wed-fri. I am going to go and get a medical done sometime before then but was looking for decent priced hotels nearby to the course centre. My wife and son will be with me so somewhere suffice for them as well please.

Any tips on the course itself?

Cheers

Where exactly is it being run?

I found the course ok and in my opinion just as thorough as the previous one I did in Aberdeen Scotland, the instructor I had was a large Thai lad who was quite humorous and spoke a good level of english, that was over 2 years back so unsure whether he's still there or not,,

can't advise on accommodation as we travelled home at the end of each day, but I'm sure if you search on agoda that you'll find something in Samut Prakarn,

whilst i was attending the course the wife dropped me off each day and then spent the rest of the day with the kids taking them to mini Siam which took up most of their first day they also visited the crocodile farm I think those places would be within a reasonable driving distance from the centre,