Bosiet+Huet Courses In Thailand

britgent

Hi looking at doing both the Bosiet + Huet courses, hopefully both at same time in Thailand.

Has anybody any experience of doing either or both in Thailand and know somewhere that does them for a good price?

Currently living in Chiang Mai and expecting to have to go Pattaya to complete them.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Google brought up this thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/208353-bosiet-training-in-thailand/ which is possibly where I got my information from a few years ago.

I did a 1 day refresher (FOET) at MOGIT last last year - I was the only one on the course, it took about 3 hours to run though

The centre in located in Laem Chabang and was easy enough to find (I drove myself)

The cost for the 1 day refresher (FOET) was about 24,000 baht if I remember correctly.

MOGIT: http://www.mogit.org/webpage/en/home/index.php

They replied to e-mails and were helpful enough with the course scheduling and pricing.

The other centre: Falck Nutec didn't reply to my e-mail request for information. But, they are closer to Bangkok in Samut Prakan and perhaps more conveniently located to the airport etc..

http://www.falck.com/nutec_th_en/Pages/Frontpage.aspx

^ As above I did my FOET 1 day refresher last year at MOGIT, all done in a few hours for the same price. They are now OPITO approved so better than in previous years and saves the hassle of going to CTSI in the Philippines or Malaysia.

I believe Falck are on the expensive side??

Just to add again MOGIT is now 100% OPITO approved - dry suits, rebreathers etc...

Edited by DMC1

^ As above I did my FOET 1 day refresher last year at MOGIT, all done in a few hours for the same price. They are now OPITO approved so better than in previous years and saves the hassle of going to CTSI in the Philippines or Malaysia.

I believe Falck are on the expensive side??

Just to add again MOGIT is now 100% OPITO approved - dry suits, rebreathers etc...

I can back that up.. I did the course in December 2011: It was OPITO approved.

Note: I'm not sure what the differences are, but some courses are T-BOSIET... The T-stands for Tropical, I'm not sure if this is accepted in Europe or not.

^ you are correct Richard & good point for anyone to make sure they do the correct BOSIET. My mate made the mistake of doing a T-BOSIET refresher having held a valid BOSIET. Company paid but his ticket is pretty useless now for UK etc.

In Malaysia some of the different companies have their own scam training courses and may (or may not) recognize OPITO/BOSIET/HUET certs. Same with medicals. Strange but true...it's all about the $$$. Myself and many of my associates have been through this situation before.

Best to check with the outfit you plan on working for to see what training course certs/medicals they require...

Edited by kbvicar

Good to hear MOGIT are now OPITO accredited.

yes but be careful which BOSIET(T) you do...one is only good for Thailand and its the other one thats OPITO approved, prices are similar

MOGIT is ok and convenient, but its not as much fun as it used to be, now that OPITO has got their snouts into it....pre-OPITO you used to turn a lift raft over on your own, have you jump from the higher level with life jacket etc, fire fighting practical was better....now the OPITO safety numpties will not let them do some of this stuff because its too "dangerous"...

but personally I think being able to turn a life raft over on your own is a pretty useful skill if one finds oneself bobbing around in the ocean and you lift raft is upside down...whistling.gif.

• Like 1

In Malaysia some of the different companies have their own scam training courses and may (or may not) recognize OPITO/BOSIET/HUET certs. Same with medicals. Strange but true...it's all about the $$$. Myself and many of my associates have been through this situation before.

Best to check with the outfit you plan on working for to see what training course certs/medicals they require...

The whole set up is a scam worldwide in some respects, at the end of the day, its the individual operator/companies rules which take precedence, OPITO has no jurisdiction over what the training requirements are when it comes to an individual operator/company.

Seeing as you mention Malaysia, for example Petronas have their own recognised training centers and medical centers and if you dont do your stuff through them, you may have problems getting offshore working for Petronas, but this is Petronas' perogative, their fields, their rules

Seeing as you mention Malaysia, for example Petronas have their own recognised training centers and medical centers and if you dont do your stuff through them, you may have problems getting offshore working for Petronas, but this is Petronas' perogative, their fields, their rules

Not just Petronas. Every oil company that works in Malaysia has Petronas as a partner. Their medical must have Petronas's medical as a minimum standard.

I have worked for both JX Nippon and Hess and have had to have the Petronas approved medical. It is only valid for a year whereas the UKOOA medical is valid for two years, but, is not good enough in Malaysia.

Not just Petronas. Every oil company that works in Malaysia has Petronas as a partner. Their medical must have Petronas's medical as a minimum standard.

I have worked for both JX Nippon and Hess and have had to have the Petronas approved medical. It is only valid for a year whereas the UKOOA medical is valid for two years, but, is not good enough in Malaysia.

Thailand is same as regards the medical, its an annual medical and its Thai law, this has not been put in place by the operators, but the goverment itself, it's not a bad thing IMHO

Further, the validity of a BOSIET (T) is technically 3 years in Thai water, even if its an OPITO 4 year one per the DMF standards

Edited by Soutpeel

Just booking courses now or at least trying too.

Mogit are proving helpful, falcknutec painful.

online mogit HLO course is quoted at about 14000 baht. When I emailed them regarding the course dates they quoted me 42000 baht

Just booking courses now or at least trying too.

Mogit are proving helpful, falcknutec painful.

online mogit HLO course is quoted at about 14000 baht. When I emailed them regarding the course dates they quoted me 42000 baht

You were looking at the wrong courses on the website... the +/- THB14k is for the chopper emergency crew and landing team training...there is no price on the website for the HLO course but THB 42k sounds about right..wink.png

What you have to remember here in Thailand be it MOGIT or FALK/NUTEC the government is taking 40%. I recently did a FOET/OLF in Sg with FALK/NUTEC for less than they charge here, the instructors admit that here in Thailand they are ham strung by the Government excess. I had to be in Singapore anyway so was happy not to pay the thieving government here.

Just as a word of warning I work as a Client Rep (Company Man) and some local (Malaysian) companies will not accept refreshers and demand the full course every time.

• Like 1

Just a few things which may be of interest.

Mogit - Laem ChaBang is no longer at the pool associated with the Moo Baan across from the Isuzu dealership on Sukhumvit. They have relocated to a new facility in an industrial area. They have the map on their website.

Every time I have done the training I have stayed in Pattaya (Soi 13) and the company van picks me up and drops me off, so no need to stay in Sri Racha or wherever as I was once told.

My ticket is T-BOSIET and as I am likely to need the BOSIET I have asked the question and been assured they can upgrade my ticket to BOSIET with a one day course. The only difference was the survival suit training from what I saw on my last training. No cost mentioned though and as have not done it so far not sure on the cost.

Cheers

Just a few things which may be of interest.

Mogit - Laem ChaBang is no longer at the pool associated with the Moo Baan across from the Isuzu dealership on Sukhumvit. They have relocated to a new facility in an industrial area. They have the map on their website.

Every time I have done the training I have stayed in Pattaya (Soi 13) and the company van picks me up and drops me off, so no need to stay in Sri Racha or wherever as I was once told.

My ticket is T-BOSIET and as I am likely to need the BOSIET I have asked the question and been assured they can upgrade my ticket to BOSIET with a one day course. The only difference was the survival suit training from what I saw on my last training. No cost mentioned though and as have not done it so far not sure on the cost.

Cheers

Survival suit and re-breather..

Company now says they are happy with either huet or bosiet so just doing huet one day jobbie at 20,000 or so with falcknutec.

Strange thing is they insist I must have a letter from employer stating I will not work in Thailand. I can see why but still odd.

Just waiting for letter then heading down to Falcknutec.

I did my last combined ticket in 2007 at MSTS in Johore Baru. Worldwide recognition, good course and they do course/accommodation packages. No idea how the price would stack up against Thai or other regional centres, cos they weren't running courses in Thailand then AFAIK, and I know it's dated, but I think the whole deal (full course not refresher and accommodation) cost me about a grand sterling.

Sent from my iPad-mini.

I remember I had to sign something or other to that effect when I did my FOET there a couple years back,,

if I remember correctly if you're paying for the course, then it's you who confirms that you won't be working locally, if the company pays then the letter from them is required, I paid but claimed the ex's from my employer, therefore I signed the confirmation.

[quote name='britgent'

Strange thing is they insist I must have a letter from employer stating I will not work in Thailand. I can see why but still odd.

Just waiting for letter then heading down to Falcknutec.

Why would Falck-Nutec want a letter from individual or agency saying that you won't be working in Thailand?

I think F-N and MOGIT prices are pretty similar as one quotes including tax and the other doesn't. Quoted 38000 baht + 7% VAT, makes it 40,660 baht. So about £900 at current rates for the whole enchilada of BOSIET/HUET (non-refresher) and regardless of 'T' or not.

I think there's more healthy competition in the Aberdeen (UK) training centers (all OPITO approved) for around £700. Just the weather to complain about.

Edited by NanLaew