More Power For Samui, Pa-Ngan Islands

Can't help but notice the negativity from some people. Why don't you just give things a chance. Damned if they do & damned if they don't, unreal.

Why is it negative to be hopeful but reserving your judgement?

In my ten years i have seen nothing to suggest they will sort out the problem correctly but i an forever hopeful they will.

I call that being realistic based on past experience. I'm certainly not damning them if they don't fix the electric situation i'll just be very pleasantly surprised.

And i'm still reserving my judgement even though i'm sitting in an office that has had no power for three and a half hours and counting!

Its a warm one today isn't it!!biggrin.png

Can't help but notice the negativity from some people. Why don't you just give things a chance. Damned if they do & damned if they don't, unreal.

In my ten years i have seen nothing to suggest they will sort out the problem correctly but i an forever hopeful they will.

I call that being realistic based on past experience. I'm certainly not damning them if they don't fix the electric situation i'll just be very pleasantly surprised.

And i'm still reserving my judgement even though i'm sitting in an office that has had no power for three and a half hours and counting!

Should get out more often & smell the flowerswink.png Also Melbourne was out of power for 5 hours, must be the workers from here.rolleyes.gif

Give it a chance, this is not a first world country & Samui sure isn't. It is not going to have the standards you are accustomed to in your home country.

You want it to have first world country infrastructure , you are well aware of the answer to that, all I can say is you are in the wrong place.

Now back to that sun that is shinning all the time, it's blinding , I wish they could do something about soon.tongue.png

Give it a chance, this is not a first world country & Samui sure isn't. It is not going to have the standards you are accustomed to in your home country.

You want it to have first world country infrastructure , you are well aware of the answer to that, all I can say is you are in the wrong place.

Now back to that sun that is shinning all the time, it's blinding , I wish they could do something about soon.tongue.png

Lighten up Rooo, i was joking! As unpleasant as it is, its part of the scheduled works on the main road in bophut. Its the fifth such day of no power on this road but part of the necessary works.

Actually very good news for the Northern part of Samui. The so-called Power Station in Maenam is merely a transformer station to handle the new 115kV line from the mainland. New hi-power cables has been mounted – or rather, the works are still in progress – at the ring road and that work has caused some power cuts, while removing old cables and mounting new ones. It will be my guess that more powerful cables may also find its way to other places in demand for more power, like Bangrak. thumbsup.gif

I saw them yesterday setting up poles on the main road just outside fisherman village (near Sweeney Todd's), on the way to Bangrak. So they are not improving things on the ring road only. Lets see how far they will go.

I guess they would at least go up to the new Replay Condo project, dont think the current cables could handle another 400 apartments.

I cannot seem to be able to grab a quote at the mo - but in response to CaptainS - they are also digging holes in Bangrak - next to what used to be Dollar Cafe. So - here's hoping that they are 'going all of the way'wai2.gif

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

Actually very good news for the Northern part of Samui. The so-called Power Station in Maenam is merely a transformer station to handle the new 115kV line from the mainland. New hi-power cables has been mounted – or rather, the works are still in progress – at the ring road and that work has caused some power cuts, while removing old cables and mounting new ones. It will be my guess that more powerful cables may also find its way to other places in demand for more power, like Bangrak. thumbsup.gif

I saw them yesterday setting up poles on the main road just outside fisherman village (near Sweeney Todd's), on the way to Bangrak. So they are not improving things on the ring road only. Lets see how far they will go.

I guess they would at least go up to the new Replay Condo project, dont think the current cables could handle another 400 apartments.

The thing that I noticed about the new concrete pylons - they are putting them on the opposite side of the road to the old ones. Two supplies perhaps? (They had reached 'My Friend' by lunch time today)

• Like 1

Does any one know if the New Cable and the New Substation is ON-LINE yet! Supplying power to Samui?

I do not think so - they are still putting up the new cables on the pylons around the ring road (as of yesterday - near Bophut)

Must be online now, as the mobile power generators has left the stadium – without them we would have black-outs every evening.

Does any one know if the New Cable and the New Substation is ON-LINE yet! Supplying power to Samui?

I do not think so - they are still putting up the new cables on the pylons around the ring road (as of yesterday - near Bophut)

Must be online now, as the mobile power generators has left the stadium – without them we would have black-outs every evening.

Did all the mobile generators go already?

I wonder if its just cause high season is more or less over, the island probably doesnt need so much power anymore as in Dec/Jan.

Did all the mobile generators go already?

I wonder if its just cause high season is more or less over, the island probably doesnt need so much power anymore as in Dec/Jan.

Officially Very High Season is finished - but I think that we are just as busy! (I am anyway)

AND the power has just gone off in Plai Laem - I assume for the upgrades. Anyone know how long it's off for?

Strange, TE, our part of Plai Laem hasn't had outage today???

SO FARblink.png

Wow we were off for quite a while sad.png . I saw that they are drilling holes in Bangrak today - for the new pylons.Things might be looking up. thumbsup.gif

(Mind you - it looked like they had taken out a water pipe or two whistling.gif )

SO FARblink.png

Chaweng and Plai Laem get their power from the east side feed and the west side feed coming from Thong Krut and that is one of the reason for part of Chaweng or Plai Laem being without power while another part has power.

Powerstation 2 in Maenam will later feed the whole northern half of Samui, the run from Maenam to Plai Laem being done right now while the feed to Chaweng will come later.

Plai Laem/Chung Moon today being on the end of 2 individual feeds will of course be affected by any cable break in one of those feeds, regardless of the problem being in Nathon or in Lamai but that will soon be something of the past.

The Maenam to Supot Electric run was completed a few days ago and I saw that they were hanging new cables between Supot and the Bangrak traffic lights so I guestimate that you will get a couple of more short power cuts over the next week or week and a half.

Edited by lom
  • Like 1

SO FARblink.png

Chaweng and Plai Laem get their power from the east side feed and the west side feed coming from Thong Krut and that is one of the reason for part of Chaweng or Plai Laem being without power while another part has power.

Powerstation 2 in Maenam will later feed the whole northern half of Samui, the run from Maenam to Plai Laem being done right now while the feed to Chaweng will come later.

Plai Laem/Chung Moon today being on the end of 2 individual feeds will of course be affected by any cable break in one of those feeds, regardless of the problem being in Nathon or in Lamai but that will soon be something of the past.

The Maenam to Supot Electric run was completed a few days ago and I saw that they were hanging new cables between Supot and the Bangrak traffic lights so I guestimate that you will get a couple of more short power cuts over the next week or week and a half.

Nice info, thanks.

Where did you get this info, if you don't mind me asking?

SO FARblink.png

Thank you for that. Good info.