Buying Self Protection. (Mace/pepper Spray/tazer Etc.)

Almera

In pattaya, on the tuesday/friday market, you can buy collapsible batons for around 600,

flip with a button pocket knives for around 400, perhaps less even,

a pepper spray would be less than 300 i expect.

In all cases you will have to make your own quick-draw

I would never buy pepper spray unless I could test it first.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best self protection is being "streetsmart"..don't get drunk, don't get into any stupid discussions in bars, don't stare at people, don't interfere with other peoples business, don't walk around the town at night for the last beer...just chill out and be cool and enjoy yourself..

That would be fine in Thailand, but not in the UK.

Why do you think you need it? Gotta say that if you think you do need to buy/carry that kind of stuff in Thailand you probably need to look long and hard at your own behaviour.

So in your world, just because you are not paranoid means nobody is out to get you. What did Santa bring you and are you waiting for the Easter Bunny?

• Like 1

these keychain batons are very effective with a little practice.

can also get them as flashlights. Best not to give the Thai legal system have any issues with you.

50441.jpg

Where can I get one of those for fending of dogs in the exercise machine park?

Why do you think you need it? Gotta say that if you think you do need to buy/carry that kind of stuff in Thailand you probably need to look long and hard at your own behaviour.

So in your world, just because you are not paranoid means nobody is out to get you.

Correct.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the average price for the collapsible batons sold in the sidewalk stalls on Sukhumvit? I'm thinking about getting one to keep in the car in case I encounter someone with road rage.

You would be better with a gun. When I lived in the UK, I always had a hammer in my car under the seat. I decided to do that after a guy attacked me and I really hurt him by jamming his fingers in the door. In case anyone thinks I might have asked for it, I was behind this car keeping my distance, when the guy braked and made a right hand turn without indicating, I pumped my horn. You know the rest.

can also get them as flashlights. Best not to give the Thai legal system have any issues with you.

50441.jpg

' Up to you ' if you choose to use the Kubaton against the dogs,but personally I would suggest using mace/pepper spray....if you miss with the Kubaton then you could end up with teeth marks in your hand.

50441.jpg

' Up to you ' if you choose to use the Kubaton against the dogs,but personally I would suggest using mace/pepper spray....if you miss with the Kubaton then you could end up with teeth marks in your hand.

Yes, pepper spray would be best, but I would need to try it before buying. I wonder if these sprays can be refilled.

Predictably the gun club will be along shortly (as they already have been in the CM forum) and voila, newbies chancing across this thread will decalre, s_hit, I'm not going to Thailand for a holiday, the place is unsafe - correct, but mostly as a result of volatile and paranoid farangs!

A pocket knife is smaller and easier to use, and more effective too.

You can typically feel if there is fluid left in the spray

Sorry poanoi,I have to disagree with you about the pocket knife when dealing with dogs.IMHO i think that a longer range defense tool is needed (spray,stick,extendable baton)

I wouldn't advise anyone to come into close range with an angry dog.If a dog comes that close that you can hit it with a stick or knife then then it means business and needs to be kept at distance.

Defense is much wiser than attack.

• Like 2

Predictably the gun club will be along shortly (as they already have been in the CM forum) and voila, newbies chancing across this thread will decalre, s_hit, I'm not going to Thailand for a holiday, the place is unsafe - correct, but mostly as a result of volatile and paranoid farangs!

So out of a country of almost 70 million people most of the crime is commited by volatile and paranoid farangs,that is your stupidest statement on this thread so far and that is saying something.

So out of a country of almost 70 million people most of the crime is commited by volatile and paranoid farangs,that is your stupidest statement on this thread so far and that is saying something.

OK, so you don't get tongue in cheek, slightly sad but OK!

One does not need to leve the home to need protection this is video from saturday evening the 16/3/2013 in perth western Australia

My wife&daughter and 4 female Freinds + another 2 kids where in the garden 5 meters from front door

Wife and i had a few friends from work visiting Saturday evening for a BBQ

4 girls from her work and 2 kids all enjoying the evening in our garden eating a arrangement of BBQ and Thai food

Kids playing on the blanket on the lawn I was inside relaxing with a movie in bed half asleep I was

When one of the girls saw a guy lurking around behind the cars near the house and then disappear into the house she asked My wife if i had a friend visit ?

then the scream woke me up there is a guy in the house his in the house

I found this fella in my 3 year old daughters room and took him down while wife called police

Who arrived 15 minutes later

I had to hold the ba%#^>|{ down for 15 minutes

Pepper spray wound have been a good help

Link to Video of the intruder being restrained while waiting for police below

http://s39.beta.photobucket.com/user/painterdownunder/media/IMG_0866.mp4.html

Edited by WildChilli

oh my god, thank god for your wife's friend spotting him. I dread to think.! He looks to be on drugs of mentally challenged. What's happening to him, are the police prosecuting?

In that situation I think you showed alot of restraint.

Nicely done and well done for preventing a more serious problem. But with all due respect, I don't quite see how that issue has a lot of direct bearing here, on the one hand we're talking about the perceieved need of westerners in Thailand to arm themselves vs the need for westerners (or indeed anyone) to exersise caution at home and be aware of the threat from intruders in their home. Unfortunately there will always be crime anywhere, the question here in Thailand and in this thread is whether westerners really need to arm themselves against that threat.

oh my god, thank god for your wife's friend spotting him. I dread to think.! He looks to be on drugs of mentally challenged. What's happening to him, are the police prosecuting?

In that situation I think you showed alot of restraint.

Yes I'm pleased she spotted him and alerted my wife ( whom I have supplied with a pepper spray long time ago )

As for restraint

The video was edited some parts where removed of the 2 minute video

scared even my self watching the original fottage

I was in furious to the point of nearly chocking him to death his gasping for air and face turning strange colour he smelled of alcohol

it was not intentionaly but the pure unedited rage of finding of a half naked male stranger being in my daughters bedroom

Hope no one ever have to experience the rage I felt on that 15 minute period

Edited by WildChilli

Nicely done and well done for preventing a more serious problem. But with all due respect, I don't quite see how that issue has a lot of direct bearing here, on the one hand we're talking about the perceieved need of westerners in Thailand to arm themselves vs the need for westerners (or indeed anyone) to exersise caution at home and be aware of the threat from intruders in their home. Unfortunately there will always be crime anywhere, the question here in Thailand and in this thread is whether westerners really need to arm themselves against that threat.

The reason I put my storey in is just that

Yes we need to be able to protect ourselves in Thailand too not just in the country we originate from I supplied my wife with pepper spray though I doubt she would have the wits with her in a situation on her own but she might

And when my lil girl is old enugh to get her first mobile phone she will also get a peppers pray

The world we live in now is not the world I grew up in

And yes I'm armed when I travel in Thailand

For the protection of my wife and. Child

Atleast outside of the area where my wife grew up in

I would never forgive my self I could not defend my wife and child

That's difficult to argue with, a small child and a history such as you posted, it's difficult to deny there's a case there. But setting that aside for a moment, the difficulty I have with this topic is that in my ten years residency in Thailand I've done lots of silly things but have never managed to encounter any threatening personal violence, in fact that has been largely true of my entire life. It's not as though I've lived in a monastry all my life or that I've never engaged in risky behaviour nor done silly things, I've had my share of sillyness in Spades! Certainly if I lived in the UK I might reconsider my statements but here in Thailand I don't see the case for weapons or personal protection, it's for that reason that I have problems accepting that others do.

One does not need to leve the home to need protection this is video from saturday evening the 16/3/2013 in perth western Australia

My wife&daughter and 4 female Freinds + another 2 kids where in the garden 5 meters from front door

4 girls from her work and 2 kids all enjoying the evening in our garden eating a arrangement of BBQ and Thai food

Kids playing on the blanket on the lawn I was inside relaxing with a movie in bed half asleep I was

When one of the girls saw a guy lurking around behind the cars near the house and then disappear into the house she asked My wife if i had a friend visit ?

I found this fella in my 3 year old daughters room and took him down while wife called police

That has to be the strangest video I have ever seen in my life!Why on earth would you put a Black-Eyed Peas soundtrack,or whoever it is to a clip of you strangling an intruder that broke into your house?

I find it hard to believe that it's real but if it is you should maybe seek help!

• Like 2

Chiang mai, are you a women who travels are alone at any time?

It is a very real problem for women, in any country & it is very insulting to see a man dismiss those very real risks because "they" have not experienced it.

And very naive also,some of the things I have seen in Bangkok would make your hair curl.

For example I saw a young couple in a car boxed in by two big jeeps then kidnapped by a gang of gun-wielding thugs,one of them being given instructions on 3 mobile phones to direct the henchmen!

This happened under the Pinklao bridge and after recounting the tale to many people I've realised that they were probably police/guns for hire and hired by some politicians or mafia-types to do their dirty work!

That has to be the strangest video I have ever seen in my life!Why on earth would you put a Black-Eyed Peas soundtrack,or whoever it is to a clip of you strangling an intruder that broke into your house?

I find it hard to believe that it's real but if it is you should maybe seek help!

He was resisting I'm a big lad but not very fit having to be holding someone down for a good 15 minutes by my self takes a lil efford hope you never have to find out how you will react in a similar situation

Chiang mai, are you a women who travels are alone at any time?

It is a very real problem for women, in any country & it is very insulting to see a man dismiss those very real risks because "they" have not experienced it.

Over and out Boo!!

My husband is thai, he doesn't like me to go anywhere without him but of course I'm not happy about that so he makes sure that 1) I have a mobile with me at all times 2) that I know how to call for help 3) that I don't carry too much cash or wear jewlery & that my bag is strapped over my body 4) he warns me to ignore everyone, the taxi & tuk tuk touts, anyone asking me for directions & generally people who try to strike up a convo for no reason. He does this cause he reads the thai news online every day & says that the stories are getting more frequent & the types of crimes are getting bolder & more varied. Now I am a tall well built women who traveled for years alone & knows how to defend myself. People tend not to look at me & think victim, I come from London & make it a habit of walking with purpose & like I will smack anyone who messes with me & yet attempts are still made, imagine if you are petite & not strong, imagine if you have to walk through a isolated area every day as part of your commute. Why shouldn't you at least give yourself a chance.

Ding Dong!

Mate you REALLY need to check your facts regarding possession of the items here in Thailand.

In the UK if you discharge Mace/similar its considered and charged the same as discharging a firearm. Had a mate nicked for that one.

Break a jaw with knuckles and you are looking at 5 years back home.

Just because this stuff is so easily available don't think for a second it legal. IMO the BiB's would love to catch a Farrang with what you are looking for.

Personally I found a US company that sold what looked like a plastic climbing karabina when in fact it was a plastic duster. Police here never had a clue

The reason I put my storey in is just that

Yes we need to be able to protect ourselves in Thailand too not just in the country we originate from I supplied my wife with pepper spray though I doubt she would have the wits with her in a situation on her own but she might

And when my lil girl is old enugh to get her first mobile phone she will also get a peppers pray

The world we live in now is not the world I grew up in

And yes I'm armed when I travel in Thailand

For the protection of my wife and. Child

Atleast outside of the area where my wife grew up in

I would never forgive my self I could not defend my wife and child

+1

I live in Pattaya and only ever go out drinking with the wife. Being a lone guy I have many times become what the attackers assumed would be an easy victim. I ensure my wife's safety first then my own regardless of the actions needed to do that and I have never ended up the victim.

Unfortunately some TV members have never seen this side of Thailand its real and you need to protect yourself just be careful with your weapon of choice....