Buying Self Protection. (Mace/pepper Spray/tazer Etc.)

Almera

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Para:

I really can't add much more than I already have thus I'm going to call it quits since it's a no win/learn process for all the current posters and off screen alliances are not my thing either!

Thanks

Para:

I really can't add much more than I already have thus I'm going to call it quits since it's a no win/learn process for all the current posters and off screen alliances are not my thing either!

Thanks

Come on hang in there with almost 10k of posts you know most of the general topics end up like the Wild West its fun having the occasional shoot out!

To be in a win/learn world requires lack of ego and a willingness to at least see things form both sides. Kinda the wrong forum for that hey?

See you next time around and if ever you fancy a walk on the wild side in Pattaya let me know.....

Just a quick question to the OP. Almera;

Is your 20 year old female friend used to carrying self protection in her country of origin? In other words, would she know when or how to use it if called for, has she had any training.

It is one thing advising people to 'tool-up' for their protection, but if they are unable to use said protection then it becomes a potential weapon against the user.

Be careful in what you ask for................wink.png

(I have not read every post in this thread, so if the above has already been covered, please ignore). It is however a very important point, IMHO and should be given a lot of thought, especially if you progress from Mace/pepper spray to blades/guns/etc.

If you don't know what you are doing or expected to do it will end in tears!

Police receive extensive training in the use of firearms, batons, mace spray, tasers etc, but they still manage to stuff things up big-time. That includes self-inflicted, and friendly fire accidents.

Yet, any swinging dick can buy weapons like these and more down at the market, and think they are an instant ninja turtle. Carrying offensive weapons are more likely to get someone into trouble, than out of it.

If you find yourself in a dangerous situation, flight is always a safer option than fight.

If that is not an option, apply some street smarts, and use an improvised weapon (such as slamming the car door on the fingers of an attacker, as mentioned in a previous post)

What if you don't have a car,should you ask your attacker to wait while you go and rent one?What utter nonsense you've written there,as I said before it's exactly because of people like you that criminals exist!

You are so correct.

If the attackee wasn't in possession of a car at the time of the attack, it would be difficult to slam a car door on the attacker's fingers.

I cannot challenge your logic on that.

Sorry about my utter nonsense. It's exactly because of people like me that criminals exist.

• Like 1

I wonder what the odds are of a maniac, a complete stranger, selecting you out of a crowd of people by driving up to you yelling and screaming and then pulling a knife and attacking you, all without any cause or provocation whatsoever!

I've thought about that from time to time ... as I didn't know this guy, since it didn't seem like robbery, I have made a best guess that it was mistaken idenity. He just saw me - thought I was someone who had pissed him off... came after me from the parking lot... You know all of us white Gringos/Farangs look alike.

Edited by JDGRUEN

Nicely done and well done for preventing a more serious problem. But with all due respect, I don't quite see how that issue has a lot of direct bearing here, on the one hand we're talking about the perceieved need of westerners in Thailand to arm themselves vs the need for westerners (or indeed anyone) to exersise caution at home and be aware of the threat from intruders in their home. Unfortunately there will always be crime anywhere, the question here in Thailand and in this thread is whether westerners really need to arm themselves against that threat.

OP's question was: Where would one acquire such stuff for self protection? (nothing illegal of course) ... And how much would it cost? ... Something as little lethal as possible (Mace?) OP's question was not if a defensive spray should be used or is it justified - nor was it ""started with the need for young females to be armed with some form of weapon?" But rather it was Where and How Much ? Where can OP buy the spray and how much does it cost?

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 1

Police receive extensive training in the use of firearms, batons, mace spray, tasers etc, but they still manage to stuff things up big-time. That includes self-inflicted, and friendly fire accidents.

Yet, any swinging dick can buy weapons like these and more down at the market, and think they are an instant ninja turtle. Carrying offensive weapons are more likely to get someone into trouble, than out of it.

If you find yourself in a dangerous situation, flight is always a safer option than fight.

If that is not an option, apply some street smarts, and use an improvised weapon (such as slamming the car door on the fingers of an attacker, as mentioned in a previous post)

What if you don't have a car,should you ask your attacker to wait while you go and rent one?What utter nonsense you've written there,as I said before it's exactly because of people like you that criminals exist!

You are so correct.

If the attackee wasn't in possession of a car at the time of the attack, it would be difficult to slam a car door on the attacker's fingers.

Sorry about my utter nonsense. It's exactly because of people like me that criminals exist.

It's a shame that you decide to make a joke out of my attempt to point out just how ridiculous and misguided your 'tips' on self-defence are,I sincerely hope that it's not a member of your family that pays a heavy price for following your expert advice!

Read the above thread about the Dutchman beaten by 6 Thais and then decide your best way to achieve safety.

I looked but couldn't see the thread you mention above,can you post a link to it please?

Bluenose what I am sure IAMSOBAD was referring to was as we were all going at it a TV news alert popped up containing the said post. Here is is for you hunt not more.......

Dutchman Beaten By Thai Teens For No Apparent Reason

Its already running to 11 pages so I'm guessing its got some pretty warm comments in.

• Like 1

Nana Plaza/Soi 4 opposite is the best place to find these things.I would go for Pepper Spray over Mace as even if you close your eyes,your eyelids start to bubble with Pepper Spray,much more effective!

Do you know what they call pepper spray?

Pep-phuurrrr Splaaae, na khrap? Or is there a Thai term, if anyone knows?

omg.. just take your lazy self to sukhumvit road and open your eyes, sheesh how you managed to travel here is beyond me.

I haven't 'traveled' here since 2004.

I have lived here since 2006 though. Downtown Sukhumvit is the last place I'd willingly spend my time, though. I'm sure I'm really missing out. wink.png

So where do you spend your time in Bangkok oh righteous one, Khaosan road? 5555

Why do you think you need it?

Who said it's for me?

Well in that case why not convince your friend that it's not sensible or needed here!

I would be very interested in buying pepper spray if I was going back to the UK, but 99% not needed in Thailand, except as I said against dogs.

Unless you'd like to spend 5 years in jail I wouldn't do that mate.

pepper spray AND stunguns are treated as Firearms under the incredibly outdated laws in the UK.

unless you'd like to spend 5 years in jail I wouldn't do that mate.

pepper spray AND stunguns are treated as Firearms under the incredibly outdated laws in the UK.

Oh you had to do it didn't you! I said exactly the same so get ready for a Bluenose BKK retort of 'This isn't the UK' !

MY ex- in London got into a situation where gas was used and the police were desperate to nick someone. Thankfully both sets of prints were on the can so there wasnt a lot they could do.

As I have said and I maintain ALL women should be allowed to carry gas. Accountability comes in if it is ever used. Possession should not be a crime....

• Like 1

You are so correct.

It's a shame that you decide to make a joke out of my attempt to point out just how ridiculous and misguided your 'tips' on self-defence are,I sincerely hope that it's not a member of your family that pays a heavy price for following your expert advice!

Actually,apart from the bad example of an improvised weapon(although it works if you are fleeing INTO your car) the man is quoting 100% what any decent self defense instructor will tell you,I could add a few more common ones,like scream FIRE! instead of help(cos people are selfish bastards in general and tend to get "Kitty Genovese"(look it up) disease when violence in involved).

You sir,are clueless,and I would further guess have probably never been in a street fight/worked as a doorman/trained in,or taught martial arts.

Edited by QualityTouristNumberOne
  • Like 2

So where do you spend your time in Bangkok oh righteous one, Khaosan road? 5555

Relevance or just trolling?

Where should he be hanging out Nana or Cowboy would that that you feel better? The OP is also asking on behalf of a foreign female so maybe lets get her to Patpong?

• Like 1

"Actually,apart from the bad example of an improvised weapon(although it works if you are fleeing INTO your car) the man is quoting 100% what any decent self defense instructor will tell you,I could add a few more common ones,like scream FIRE! instead of help(cos people are selfish bastards in general and tend to get "Kitty Genovese"(look it up) disease when violence in involved).

You sir,are clueless,and I would further guess have probably never been in a street fight/worked as a doorman/trained in,or taught martial arts."

I've trained in Jiu Jutsu,Aikijutsu,Aikido,Kali,Escrima,Arnis and Muay Thai,with some BJJ thrown in actually and if you think that slamming a car door is more effective than Pepper Spray it shows EXACTLY how much you know about self-defence.
BTW,what Martial Arts training do you have and where was your McDojo?

if you think that slamming a car door is more effective than Pepper Spray it shows EXACTLY how much you know about self-defence.

+1

Never seen anything drop a guy as quick and non lethally as gas......

Edited by Para