Job Interview No Suit

cms989

A suit MIGHT be an overkill, unless you're applying for a finance position.<br /><br />Black pants, smart shirt, tie and leather shoes can be had for less than 3000 baht.<br /><br />Can't really go wrong with that.<br />

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smart pants like Dockers or Savanne, long sleeve, plain dress shirt, a tie and some clean shoes. You don't need a jacket or a suit per se. Just look presentable as you would for an interview back home. The OP is quoting suit prices as advertised in the tourist traps. The above dresswear (apart from the tie and shoes) can be had for less than 1000 baht at Export 77 shops in the malls (farang sizes). Bata will have shoes for another 1000 baht. Belt can be less than 300 baht. Make sure the tie is bold colored (make a statement even if you aren't too enthusiastic), another 500 baht if you avoid the overpriced silk ones in tourist traps. I reckon you can be very presentable for around $85.

If you are normally clean shaven, shave! An expat professional I know went to an informal interview in Bangkok; a formality as it was generally assumed he would be hired, dressed as described above but hadn't shaved for a couple of days. Almost didn't get hired as his boss's boss, a particularly anal been-there-done-that old farang that had been in Thailand for years had a real hard on for stubble.

"You don't need a jacket or a suit per se. Just look presentable as you would for an interview back home."

This would not be good enough for decent white collar jobs.

Ahh screw it I can't justify the shoe purchase. I just have no need for dress shoes. I got the collared shirt and pants and am buying some new trail runners. My plan was to make my way over to Nepal for the Annapurna circuit. I'll crack a joke about it at the interview.

Like someone else said if they can't get over that I don't want to work for them. As for the subconscious impression thing I think sitting down with the nice shirt will be good enough for that

As someone else said- if you seriously want the job, wear a suit. If not, and its just for info, then don't bother investing in a suit. Shirt and tie without a suit is OK for low level clerical jobs/esl teacher jobs etc. , but any serious white collar job/company will expect a suit at interview.

I do not see any problems.

Usually when I travel or go away on vacation, I always carry a smart attire of clothes for socializing or dining out and so on. Depends on your personality and pride of appearance.

Go and buy yourself a smart pair of trousers = 600 baht, ready made in Tesco Lotus or other big stores.

A decent casual tee-shirt of shirt = 400 baht.

Pair of socks and shoes = 600 baht.

Total - 1600 baht, maybe less.

Depends on how keen you are to get the job and whether the sort of job you are applying for is worth the effort?

600 baht shoes?

i personally would not be caught dead in any of the items you describe.

we differ radically on our definition of smart and decent, that is for certain.

Sorry, the guy wearing a sukhumvit tie does not get the job

Usually when I travel or go away on vacation, I always carry a smart attire of clothes for socializing or dining out and so on. Depends on your personality and pride of appearance.

Go and buy yourself a smart pair of trousers = 600 baht, ready made in Tesco Lotus or other big stores.

Depends on how keen you are to get the job and whether the sort of job you are applying for is worth the effort?

600 baht shoes?

I agree completely. His entire budget is minimum I would spend on a watch fit for an interview. And watch is important by the way! Ha.

600 baht shoes?

For what its worth I bought a shirt at HM which looks decent (actually really like it might buy another) and then a pair of Dockers (goddamnit they are overpriced in Thailand.. I seem to remember paying like $40 back home).

I'm just going to not wear dress shoes. No tier either. The way I see it I can make light of it during the interview but still not lose any points on the 'you're judged on your appearance regardless' thing since I'll still look good

Why on earth would you want to dress up for a job interview during your well deserved holidays ?!?

Turn away the situation and call your HR friend to change your planned meeting from formal into casual...

Ain't it easy ?!?

Make them understand that you are here on holidays-even if that's not really the case!- ; and that you are going to sacrifice a few hours of your quality time to listen to him...

"Big boss" should more appreciate your down to earth handling of situation rather than meeting you in a cheapo attire...

Just Methinks !!!

Edited by lazygourmet

No backpacker pun intended, but I have seen guys go into interviews with backpacks, the kind to carry books in. I swear these guys get jobs too, I don't really see how. If I was hiring in Thailand, I'd have a dress code that was not known to the potentials. If they didn't pass, I'd just have my reception tell him that we already hired somebody earlier in the day, and thanks for the time. If you come to an interview the way I have seen these folks come, there is just no way in hell you should be getting a job. But, I guess it is hard to be picky here. Not dressing the part for an interview is akin to something like not showing up to a sword fight with your sword I feel. It is just ridiculous and laughable and I would not even hesitate to reject seeing people that don't follow simple, known guidelines.

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 1

Your attitude is all wrong kid.

Do everything you can to get the job, then decide if you want it.

Going in half-assed is a waste of your time and theirs.

You have a good point and that had been an issue in previous interviews I've had as a passive candidate. I brainstorm out loud comparing it to my current position and don't get an offer.

In this case I'm confident I can be "on" for the interview and do a better job at that. In the case of attire it's a question of "doing everything I can" involving a financial commitment from me, which I wasn't sure was worth it.

Anyway I spent about $100 and will look good but for the shoes, which will be new but not dress (I needed new hiking shoes if I go to Nepal). Part of me thinks subconsciously I do not want this job and am sabotaging myself--it's in the industry I came out here to leave. But the cost of living means there could be massive savings potential

Why would you seek job interview advice from TV members. Most of them left employment LAST century.

I must say this thread is hysterical....as you have so rightly pointed out the last time the most the geriatrics had a job it was during the Victorian era but here we are them giving fashion and interview tips,

one suspects the vast majority of posters have never worn a suit in their lives except to maybe a funeral or when they married their tee raks

Based the OP, if it was me interviewing him, irrspective of whether he was wearing flip fllops or not...he wouldnt get the job, simply becasue he cant make a decision or apply common sense even to a basic question of what should I wear to an interview...biggrin.png

Why would you seek job interview advice from TV members. Most of them left employment LAST century.

I must say this thread is hysterical....as you have so rightly pointed out the last time the most the geriatrics had a job it was during the Victorian era but here we are them giving fashion and interview tips,

one suspects the vast majority of posters have never worn a suit in their lives except to maybe a funeral or when they married their tee raks

Based the OP, if it was me interviewing him, irrspective of whether he was wearing flip fllops or not...he wouldnt get the job, simply becasue he cant make a decision or apply common sense even to a basic question of what should I wear to an interview...biggrin.png

Wondering what to wear to an interview is might be the most common question a job candidate will have prior to an interview. Especially in a foreign country. It probably ranks third behind where is the office and who am I meeting.

Wondering what to wear to an interview is might be the most common question a job candidate will have prior to an interview. Especially in a foreign country. It probably ranks third behind where is the office and who am I meeting.

only if your girl...tongue.png

OP:

When is your job interview anyway?

How do you know that HR woman?

What kind of job is it?

Do you want to leave after the interview with having a choice and the final say,

or do you want to go into the interview with a possible disadvantage, i.e. unsuitably dressed?

Do you actually see yourself working in Thailand for a year or more, seriously?

Interview is in a few days, I don't know the woman never spoke to her she is just the point of contact.

I've lived here for the better part of a year before and really enjoyed it. That's a tough question that I have been struggling with the past few days. I've just started a new entrepreneurial enterprise in a new industry, and this is going back to my old one. The question is was my new enterprise mostly motivated by the prospect of traveling/living abroad? And if so, was it mostly about traveling, or just being abroad? Because taking a full time job in Bangkok obviously is a commitment and I can't travel the way I'd envisioned. I have a flight to Jakarta at the end of the month and am lining up projects there at the moment.

Undertaking a financial risk for the new venture, a big part of me says I see a safety rope and am grabbing it before I give my new endeavor a chance to get off the ground. At the same time it's sort of unique (I'd rather not get too specific since this such a small community) in that I rarely see many opportunities abroad outside of TEFL. Walking around Paragon yesterday it was pretty tempting to imagine myself making a good salary and eating at all those nice restaurants. Living in this city with money seems like a lot of fun. Right now I'm on a pretty strict budget.

My current feeling is that this opportunity and the questions sorrounding it have distracted me from my work for the better part of a week and I should just ditch it. But I want to go to the interview because if I feel like I can pocket $20k+ over a year it might be the smart move to grit my teeth and do it, and hit the pause button on what I'm doing currently. It's sales so I really have no idea what sort of money to expect until the interview.. and that's really my primary consideration

Edited by cms989

Whilst not job interviews as such, I have had on a number of occasions had to meet with potential suppliers etc. who have decided to meet with me because they are on holiday in Thailand.

One guy did say beforehand that he would be in casual attire and asked if it was a problem but apart from that I really don't think that wearing a suit is that important.

They are uncomfortable anyway if you are not used to the heat.

I would obviously avoid wearing shorts, sandals and chang vest but I think a casual shirt or polo type shirt should be fine.

You can explain at the meeting, that you didn't come to Thailand prepared for a meeting and it shouldn't bother them in the slightest.

But if the job would normally require you to wear a suit (or business attire as it may be referred to) then that may be a different matter altogether.

Interview is in a few days, I don't know the woman never spoke to her she is just the point of contact.

I've lived here for the better part of a year before and really enjoyed it. That's a tough question that I have been struggling with the past few days. I've just started a new entrepreneurial enterprise in a new industry, and this is going back to my old one. The question is was my new enterprise mostly motivated by the prospect of traveling/living abroad? And if so, was it mostly about traveling, or just being abroad? Because taking a full time job in Bangkok obviously is a commitment and I can't travel the way I'd envisioned. I have a flight to Jakarta at the end of the month and am lining up projects there at the moment.

Undertaking a financial risk for the new venture, a big part of me says I see a safety rope and am grabbing it before I give my new endeavor a chance to get off the ground. At the same time it's sort of unique (I'd rather not get too specific since this such a small community) in that I rarely see many opportunities abroad outside of TEFL. Walking around Paragon yesterday it was pretty tempting to imagine myself making a good salary and eating at all those nice restaurants. Living in this city with money seems like a lot of fun. Right now I'm on a pretty strict budget.

My current feeling is that this opportunity and the questions sorrounding it have distracted me from my work for the better part of a week and I should just ditch it. But I want to go to the interview because if I feel like I can pocket $20k+ over a year it might be the smart move to grit my teeth and do it, and hit the pause button on what I'm doing currently. It's sales so I really have no idea what sort of money to expect until the interview.. and that's really my primary consideration

Ahh $20K a year, then you'll be livin' large in the big city, you'll be able to go to MK and sup on the finest oriental delicacies that currently seem so elusive.
  • Like 2

The $20k figure is referring to money in the bank after a year, living like a king here. And its totally arbitrary because I don't know what commissions look like. Thanks for the tip though

Edited by cms989

Thank NanLawue, I can justify $85.

Shaving.. you know I was introduced to the safety razor here, when I lived here a number of years ago, and ironically I brought one here but have not been able to find any razors for it. thai disposables are criminally pathetic

Mach 3 blades are pretty common in Thailand. I'd invest in electric in Thailand myself. Braun 7 series.

No offense OP but i find that thread hilarious

GL :)

I do too, in terms of the amount of attention :P

In retrospect I don't think it is that big of a deal because the decision maker is not Thai.

But isn't the decision maker a Brit, we ain't so laid back and relaxed about ex colonials dress codes and shun casual Fridays.........:)

No offense OP but i find that thread hilarious

GL smile.png

I do too, in terms of the amount of attention tongue.png

In retrospect I don't think it is that big of a deal because the decision maker is not Thai.

But isn't the decision maker a Brit, we ain't so laid back and relaxed about ex colonials dress codes and shun casual Fridays.........smile.png

"First, my lord, let me please apologize for the rebellious attitudes of my ancestors.. Long Live the Queen!"

Edited by cms989

Whilst not job interviews as such, I have had on a number of occasions had to meet with potential suppliers etc. who have decided to meet with me because they are on holiday in Thailand.

One guy did say beforehand that he would be in casual attire and asked if it was a problem but apart from that I really don't think that wearing a suit is that important.

They are uncomfortable anyway if you are not used to the heat.

I would obviously avoid wearing shorts, sandals and chang vest but I think a casual shirt or polo type shirt should be fine.

You can explain at the meeting, that you didn't come to Thailand prepared for a meeting and it shouldn't bother them in the slightest.

But if the job would normally require you to wear a suit (or business attire as it may be referred to) then that may be a different matter altogether.

So would you go with a Singha or Leo vest then,or maybe really push the boat out with an exotic Tiger one?

I've been in a situation where a suit is a problem in London a few times, and in Hong Kong, for financial services among others. If possible I always wear a full suit and tie, however numerous times this has been impractical, for example last minute interviews with little time to get suited and booted when I'm on a contract elsewhere in jeans and a t-shirt until half an hour before the interview slot.

In these scenarios I speak to the contact at the company or agency and say 'usually I would wear a full suit but in this instance it's impractical, could you accept that on this occasion I will not?'. It's never been an issue, and all cases where I have done this have resulted in offers. Must emphasise that I always addressed the issue before the interview.

In short, my advice is if you can wear a suit, wear one, but if you don't it's not the end of the world on the proviso you address it before you turn up.

I've been in a situation where a suit is a problem in London a few times, and in Hong Kong, for financial services among others. If possible I always wear a full suit and tie, however numerous times this has been impractical, for example last minute interviews with little time to get suited and booted when I'm on a contract elsewhere in jeans and a t-shirt until half an hour before the interview slot.

In these scenarios I speak to the contact at the company or agency and say 'usually I would wear a full suit but in this instance it's impractical, could you accept that on this occasion I will not?'. It's never been an issue, and all cases where I have done this have resulted in offers. Must emphasise that I always addressed the issue before the interview.

In short, my advice is if you can wear a suit, wear one, but if you don't it's not the end of the world on the proviso you address it before you turn up.

Brown-nosing pre-interview will garner Brownie Points with any finance company!