2013 Pattaya Songkran Faq

JSixpack

I am so glad I am off for overseas work on the 7th, as a resident it's just a pain in the butt that it has to go on for so many days.

On Phuket they only do it for a couple days when I lived there long time ago so in that regard +1 to Phuket.

Last year I was here, used the car a lot, locked the doors, closed the windows and then go shopping/eating in the big shopping centers.

I bet there will be a lot of angry Russians again this yearbiggrin.png , they don't seems to have a great sense of humor and an bucket of ice water over the head won't help mattersclap2.gif

Enjoythumbsup.gif

You make a very good point regarding the Russians. Last year i saw an extremely large Russian guy leap off a baht bus on beach road late at night and dive into a bar to give a good pasting to a drunken fool who had just emptied the contents of one of those high powered water guns into the bus. One of the worst areas at Songkran is Soi Buakhow, it starts there at least a week before the 19th, with the usual morons standing outside bars all day and half the night soaking anybody who goes past whether on foot or motorbike, with ice cold water. One would think they would get bored after a couple of days, after all they are grown men, but they don't. During the past year a lot of Russian families have started staying in the Soi Buakhow area where they never were before, they spend a lot of time walking up and down. Could be interesting!

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is that right only three days in BKK? I could tolerate that especially if they finish it around six. And I don't drink round Khao San anyway.

Yeah, only 3 days in Bangkok. In some places they're very strict about no water after 6/7pm (e.g. Nana Plaza), in other places less so! But compared to Pattaya, especially if you keep away from Khao San Road and Silom Road, it's relatively bearable.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 2

Is that right only three days in BKK? I could tolerate that especially if they finish it around six. And I don't drink round Khao San anyway.

Yeah, only 3 days in Bangkok. In some places they're very strict about no water after 6/7pm (e.g. Nana Plaza), in other places less so! But compared to Pattaya, especially if you keep away from Khao San Road and Silom Road, it's relatively bearable.

Can somebody tell me what day it finishes in Bangkok ?

I live in Chiang Mai which is famous for wild Songkrans and I do not mind it here, but Pattaya sounds like it really sucks - putting up with all the inconsiderate yobs for 10 days whole days!

Yes it does. While I'm the biggest Songkran fan ever and look forward to it like it's Christmas, Pattaya is the worst place for it.

Then again I would probably still manage to find a good time, celebrating on the 19th in Naklua, Sri Racha or Sattahip.

(Though I'd just opt to visit Chiang Mai or Khon Kaen or something.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I am so glad I am off for overseas work on the 7th, as a resident it's just a pain in the butt that it has to go on for so many days.

On Phuket they only do it for a couple days when I lived there long time ago so in that regard +1 to Phuket.

Last year I was here, used the car a lot, locked the doors, closed the windows and then go shopping/eating in the big shopping centers.

I bet there will be a lot of angry Russians again this yearbiggrin.png , they don't seems to have a great sense of humor and an bucket of ice water over the head won't help mattersclap2.gif

Enjoythumbsup.gif

I think Russians have more important things to worry about, like the BiB targeting them for work permits and a fine ass combing.

If I'm not wrong, it should finish on the 15th (starting on the 13th). Pattaya is a nightmare for 10 days, Bangkok is not so bad, specially if you can avoid the more "party prone" areas and hours.

If I'm not wrong, it should finish on the 15th (starting on the 13th). Pattaya is a nightmare for 10 days, Bangkok is not so bad, specially if you can avoid the more "party prone" areas and hours.

Sound right. A number of guesthouses offer weekly rates. So you stay in or carefully venture for the 3 days and then are free to enjoy Bangkok. Much better than holing in PTY or being constantly targeted by hooligans.

I live in Chiang Mai which is famous for wild Songkrans and I do not mind it here, but Pattaya sounds like it really sucks - putting up with all the inconsiderate yobs for 10 days whole days!

Yes it does. While I'm the biggest Songkran fan ever and look forward to it like it's Christmas, Pattaya is the worst place for it.

Then again I would probably still manage to find a good time, celebrating on the 19th in Naklua, Sri Racha or Sattahip.

(Though I'd just opt to visit Chiang Mai or Khon Kaen or something.)

Naklua is the 18th.

• Like 2

You know this is kind of funny. I mean I'm reading your experiences on Songkran. Growing up here (product of a vienam war vet and a thai woman, joke it up, joke it up)

Well for me Songkran has always been more of a kiddy thing to do, and the adults in my family only play songkran as an activity to bond with the younger ones in the family.

But if the tourists like it, then I can't really say much. But being in my mid-20s now, this might be one of my last chances to celebrate Songkran before I fall into the club of people complaining about getting wet on the way to work. Either that, or I'll just attend the foam parties in RCA, and next year I'll do the stockpile method. Less Mary J because I dont want to finish all my food in one day.

Why all the negativity about Songkran?

I lived for many years in pattaya and found Songkran great fun! Imagine throwing water over some of these awful Russian tourists you have there, or just having fun with the mostly fun loving Thais! Yes it sometimes feels like war, but only with water not guns! It is fun indeed!!

If you don't like it, stay indoors or get out of the country. It is after all the Thai new year and celebrations get a little OTT in pattaya, but that's all.

ENJOY!

Why all the negativity about Songkran? I lived for many years in pattaya and found Songkran great fun! Imagine throwing water over some of these awful Russian tourists you have there, or just having fun with the mostly fun loving Thais! Yes it sometimes feels like war, but only with water not guns! It is fun indeed!! If you don't like it, stay indoors or get out of the country. It is after all the Thai new year and celebrations get a little OTT in pattaya, but that's all. ENJOY!

i think the problem is that from an essentailly peaceful and friendly tradition in thailand, songkran now makes Pattaya a no go area for anyone except the brave for an excessive time. no where else in LOS have I seen it as mad as here, and yes, i am one who wont be able to get to work for 3 days and wont be out enjoying being drenched in dirty ice water by some tattoo ridden drunk who thiks he is the first idiot to overdo it here. even befroe the new motorway, the city was gridlocked and all roads in were backed up for MILEs for years. now no better. the suk will be a car park and of course riding the bik instead of the car isnt an option as some twerp will be gunning for me/you.

Sadly the old woman's village is a no go too as its so hot up there i cant handle it, so I will be encamped here at the tin shack with a paintbrush and a few gallons of paint to catch up on jobs and of course a fridge full of food.

• Like 1

Enjoythumbsup.gif

You make a very good point regarding the Russians. Last year i saw an extremely large Russian guy leap off a baht bus on beach road late at night and dive into a bar to give a good pasting to a drunken fool who had just emptied the contents of one of those high powered water guns into the bus. One of the worst areas at Songkran is Soi Buakhow, it starts there at least a week before the 19th, with the usual morons standing outside bars all day and half the night soaking anybody who goes past whether on foot or motorbike, with ice cold water. One would think they would get bored after a couple of days, after all they are grown men, but they don't. During the past year a lot of Russian families have started staying in the Soi Buakhow area where they never were before, they spend a lot of time walking up and down. Could be interesting!

'Last year i saw an extremely large Russian guy leap off a baht bus on

beach road late at night and dive into a bar to give a good pasting to a

drunken fool who had just emptied the contents of one of those high

powered water guns into the bus'

A lot of people would have bought that Russian a drink!

Try Jomtien Beach Rd, on the 19th if you want to see the End Of The World. Every nitwit and his brother is out. The huge trucks with the humongous

stereos are cruising up and down Beach Rd. blaring that crap all day and all night and traffic is not really moving so, from my condo window, I have to

endure the whole bloody mess. Don't even think about going outside because that's worse. I've taken to spending Songkran in BKK, where its 3 days

and much more civil. Just stay away from the heavily touristed areas like Khao San, Nana, Soi 11, etc. and you can avoid getting wet.

Great post! We'll keep this pinned. When new posts get opened in the Pattaya forum, we'll close them and refer them here.

Thanks!!

P.S. If anyone else wants to add some words of wisdom, let me know and I have them added.

Sorry just to confirm (I have read all the FAQs) is the big night on the 18th, so the eve of the 19th? as I am booking a hotel for that one night and want to be sure, thank you.

Just found out a friend & his wife land in Bangkok at 3pm April 19th and says he has a taxi booked & is booked into a hotel on soi 5 beach road Pattaya.

I nearly chocked.

I said do you realise it's the main Songkran day & he should stay in Bangkok a night or something

But he won't listen!!

I also said i'm surprised that taxi's are running

He thinks i'm joking & whinding him up

I'm going to Pattaya on the 20th for that reason but....

He has a good friend who said it will be ok

so leave them be hey???

I feel like i'm going on to him, and spoiling his soon to be holiday...

Just found out a friend & his wife land in Bangkok at 3pm April 19th and says he has a taxi booked & is booked into a hotel on soi 5 beach road Pattaya.

I nearly chocked.

I said do you realise it's the main Songkran day & he should stay in Bangkok a night or something

But he won't listen!!

I also said i'm surprised that taxi's are running

He thinks i'm joking & whinding him up

I'm going to Pattaya on the 20th for that reason but....

He has a good friend who said it will be ok

so leave them be hey???

I feel like i'm going on to him, and spoiling his soon to be holiday...

He will learn the hard way, I too have friends that don't listen and think they know better, only to regret it later lol

Could someone confirm that the big night in Pattaya in on the 18th (eve of the 19th) and not on the night of the 19th? please!

The MAIN day in Pattaya is April 19th starting at sunrise and will FINISH when the water drys up.....

It wasn't safe to go outside until about 11 PM on the 19th in Jomtien. Looked like a hurricane had just passed thru.

They were waging full scale war, hand-to-hand combat in the streets up til then with that gawd awful soundtrack of

deafening noise from the boom-box trucks. What a nightmare.

Two things.....

I did not read ALL the FAQ, good as it is, but please, people, keep your credit cards and wallet dry in a bag, or better still, leave the credit cards at home. It can be expensive to have to replace them from your home country.

Secondly, g/f came home this afternoon and I've just been told I do not now have to drive all the way to Issan for Songkran. Mother says it is too hot and they do not have air con at their place.

Add to that, that in the area she lives, no one has the EPL sad.png and it is the derby match for me NUFc v Sunderland :)

All I have to do now is get to the match on Sunday without getting wet!! blink.png

Could someone confirm that the big night in Pattaya in on the 18th (eve of the 19th) and not on the night of the 19th? please!

The MAIN day in Pattaya is April 19th starting at sunrise and will FINISH when the water drys up.....

sorry that's not what I was asking, but thanks for trying.

Well try reading the answers to questions 1 & 3 & 5

In the 1st post as your answer is there...

Which coincidently is very very similar to mine....

That's 'cause your question doesn't make much sense. The uniquely Songkran action takes place mainly during the daytime and the 19th is the worst. Daytime is when the hooligans can see clearly what effects they've had on their victims. Suppose they succeeded in wrecking a motorbike. The accident can't be seen clearly and so fully appreciated and enjoyed at night. But fewer victims are driving or walking around anyway. Business owners/employees aren't trying to get work or get home, etc. Also, it's harder to see women in wet T-shirts at night. Meanwhile the usual Pattaya nightlife we all know and love is suspended for the duration.

So what's a "big night" to you anyway? More hooligans may be out during the night of the 18th, yes, as they're already in town and anticipating. Go for it.

Edited by JSixpack

Well try reading the answers to questions 1 & 3 & 5

In the 1st post as your answer is there...

Which coincidently is very very similar to mine....

My question clearly has the word "eve" in it, do you know what that means? As your answer and the FAQs, doesn't answer my question.