(Cheap) Chevrolet Sonic 4 Door. Experiences?

Almera

The sonic salon 4 door is another cheapish option to the Nissan Almera.

A small, 4 door family car for school and shopping runs, and the odd weekend drive at 100kph.

I've noticed some poor reviews about Chevy in Thailand, particularly about aftersales and customer service. But have never really looked into it.

Anybody have an experiences of the Sonic or info? tbh I can't recall ever hearing of it before. :huh:

It's only 10% down as opposed to 20% or 25% which is fine for me as I'm paying the down and the missus is paying the monthly. :)

Thanks.

Not another BIt O Re badged junk like the Cruze is it. Toyota's Bean Counters spoil their good name with the Avanza, it isnt a Toyo.. Honda tried to enter the Thai Truck market 20 years ago,and lost Car Customers Market selling Re badged Isuzu's. If you buy a Ford thats what U want, not a Daewoo. Id buy a Mini Suzuki at least you are not being conned.coffee1.gif

Maybe wrong but thought the basic 4 door Sonic was well over 100k more than the Almera ?

Yep, Sonic competes in the VIOS/City/Mazda2/Fiesta space.

If the OP is moving up a price tier, my suggestion would be to at least wait until the new VIOS releases (later this month) before making any decisions. There will be a new City later this year, and a 1.0L Ecoboost Fiesta too...

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Dealership has a promotion of 10% down.

Listed as:

548k.

54,800 down.

8,310 x 72 months. (598k)

Total paid: 653,120

To be honest we're not worried too much about the interest paid, but me being happy with the down payment and the wife being happy with monthly.

I'd rather not drop 120k on a down payment.

I don't have experience of the Sonic, but my wife has an Aveo so I know that Chevrolet don't hold their value compared with Toyota and Honda. The Sonic is a B-segment car and more expensive than the Almera. I actually got quite excited when I heard that Chevrolet were releasing the Sonic; in the US it has ten airbags as standard and either a 1.4turbo or 1.8 (or a diesel in Europe) plus a optional 6-speed manual - imagine how much fun that would be, it would be a real hot-hatch - I thought Chevrolet might have a real game-changer and steal sales from the aging Vios and City. Predictably, though, probably because of taxes, the Sonic has only a 1.4 and even the range-topping Sonic has two airbags - whatever sales garb they try, it's practically the same power as my wife's 1.4 Aveo. It's better to save the 25% downpayment while waiting for the new Vios or City.

• Like 2

The heading starts with CHEAP....

appears you are looking for a saloon 4 door ?

No idea as never owned one but for the same price as the Sonic but with safety even on base models.... 2 air bags and ABS on Base models....... Proton have 2 cars SAGA [new model 2011], and PREVE [New model 2012], higher models have more air bags and equipment ??

have a number of Thai friend that have the Proton Exora, and all are very happy with the car, some it was a replacement of there Toyota Wish.

waiting for the new Vios or City.and when there here, wait many months for delivery ?

• Like 2

have a number of Thai friend that have the Proton Exora, and all are very happy with the car, some it was a replacement of there Toyota Wish.

Yep, the Exora is a well-rounded package for the money in the MPV space.. How long did their electric windows work before their first warranty replacement? and were the replacements any better than the originals? :P

Yep, the Exora is a well-rounded package for the money in the MPV space.. How long did their electric windows work before their first warranty replacement? and were the replacements any better than the originals? tongue.png

I thought the CEO of Proton had solved that issue? clap2.gif

http://blog.limkitsiang.com/2011/09/06/is-proton-a-malaysian-car/

the car comes in 4 colours, blue, black, and 2 shades of grey. how bloody dull.

Who cares for a family saloon? It's something to get you and the family around easily.

Keep another vehicle in your garage for your pride and ego. wink.png

If one needs to feel like they've got an extra inch.

Edited by Almera

Almera, on 20 Mar 2013 - 12:39, said:

candypants, on 20 Mar 2013 - 12:37, said:

Who cares for a family saloon? It's something to get you and the family around easily.

Keep another vehicle in your garage for your pride and ego. wink.png

If one needs to feel like they've got an extra inch.

just because a car in inexpensive it doesn't mean it should only come in monkey-shit brown.

look at the colour choices available in the segment it is competing, it is just another example of where the car falls short.

i would have thought cheap and cheerful was the market segment it would hope to occupy. cheap alone does not cut it

Edited by candypants

Yep, the Exora is a well-rounded package for the money in the MPV space.. How long did their electric windows work before their first warranty replacement? and were the replacements any better than the originals? tongue.png

One friend about 100km north of Phuket, we talk on the phone about twice a week........... so good reason to phone today...

His Proton top model, now has over 320,000 km on the clock, 0 / NIL problems, has never missed a beat.........

So Thai man and Thai wife + 5 dogs......... he delivers and collects things + drives to Malaysia 2 or 3 time per month often passed KL......... he hates pickups, and say's if use a pickup must also have a car, total waste of money,,,,,, Mini bus or Van why? Toyota in there wisdom stopped making the Wish in Thailand, some years before he used to have a Honda Streem also they stopped making them way back...

Few months ago when I was down there, we were talking about cars and Estate/Wagon cars, he is another that would be happy if Nissan made the Almera as a wagon, and yes he did own a Nissan wagon back in 1994..

Likewise in the house across the road from me, just he drives his wife never has, yet they have to own a pickup and a car, and would love just one Wagon between 7 - 800 k to replace both.. the pickup is not right as it is a 7 seater, he has never put up the rear seats, he hates it, but must use a wagon for 3 trips a week, [20 to 30 boxes that do not fit in a car] otherwise always use the car.

Is this something new ?

Friend down south has a Beige one, other friends have White, another bright red, another like my old Jazz Vivid Blue