Grinding Coffee Beans In Pattaya

mikebell

A friend bought me some coffee - unfortunately they are whole beans. I would like to get them ground. I have tried Internet searches & get lots of responses involving 'grinding' & machines but no local service.

I know Friendship grinds their own beans so I tried there. 'Cannot not' even when offered money!

Does anyone know where I can get my beans ground? No rude answers please.

Interesting problem.

I don't have a place that will offer that service on beans they don't sell.

However, if you are living here I would suggest ALWAYS buying whole beans and grinding the coffee as needed (rather than the whole bag).

You definitely get better tasting coffee that way.

So you could buy a home use grinder; I'm sure for sale at Central department store and other places as well.

Obviously not worth it for only one bag of coffee though.

If you pay 20 baht the Aroma lady at Foodland will do for you. At least she has done for me.

Buy a blender, they come with grinding cups.

Why not try the zillion year old Chinese guy at Friendship normally adjusting produce on the shelves.

Be respectful and I'm sure he'd oblige. Or buy a small amount of thier coffee and get yours done at the same time?

Just a thought.

The congenial owner of Benjamit Coffee may help you. I recommend you purchase a bag or two of his personally roasted blend too.

Good stuff.

Located off Soi Bukow in the alley on the left, just before you get to Pattaya Tai.

I don't know anything at all about grinding coffee beans, so maybe this is complete nonsense, but would it be possible to grind them using a stone mortar and pestle? People must have been preparing coffee before grinding machines were invented. I always grind black pepper by hand as I need it.

beatdeadhorse.gif Replace the horse with your beans biggrin.png

On a more serious note, i think the Foodland option is a valuable suggestion. Also on Bhuakow market there is a coffee shop named Benjamin which burn their own coffee. Could give it a try.

I don't know anything at all about grinding coffee beans, so maybe this is complete nonsense, but would it be possible to grind them using a stone mortar and pestle? People must have been preparing coffee before grinding machines were invented. I always grind black pepper by hand as I need it.

I doubt you would get the consistence and granularity you would want for a good cuppa joe. However, there are old fashioned hand-cranked machines that are pretty cool. They have a drawer in a wooden base that catches the ground coffee, but the grinder itself is all metallic. You can find these in Starbucks stateside, don't know about in Thailand.

post-101795-0-60842000-1363754917_thumb.

Edited by USNret

Pounding

Arabic coffee and Turkish coffee

require that the grounds be almost powdery in fineness, finer than can

be achieved by most burr grinders. Pounding the beans with a mortar and pestle can pulverize the coffee finely enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_preparation#Pounding

Pok pok your beans! Impart some coffee flavor to your next plate of *som tam.

• Like 1

... every coffee grinder that i have seen in Thailand cost $50+, i can get one in US for less then $20.

I just use the small mill that came with my blender every morning.

Yes well I've been in Thailand several years now and use the coffee grinder I bought in Thailand everyday. I wouldn't buy it for a short stay here though.

... every coffee grinder that i have seen in Thailand cost $50+, i can get one in US for less then $20.

Not 220 volts you can use in Thailand.

But here's one such for $28:

http://www.220-electronics.com/black-and-decker-cbm3-220-volt-coffee-mill-spice-grinder.html

Been looking for an affordable grinder for some time but it's just not available here. I agree with the above. Every standalone grinder I've seen costs 1500 baht, some import brands running up to 5,000. Absurd. Now, a blender with separate grinder is cheaper but frankly, they don't look like they'd work very well because the plastic housing is too cavernous. Proper pocket size grinders have smaller housing and allow the blades to contact the beans in a more intense and more effective fashion. Back home in Canada, I can get a Braun for 600 baht, which I will be buying soon when I do a quick return trip.