Wifi Router With Long Range

Carlosm

Could someone recommend a wifi router with at least a 300 meter range. Looked on many websites that deliver to your house (in Thailand) but none of them let you know the actual range. They just say "long range" or "high power". I've even googled the products and they never say the actual range either. I own a snooker hall around 200m from my house and want to get wifi there.

Also, if anyone has one they'd like to sell let me know the range and price.

Range is very difficult to say precisely, it all depends of the apparatus that receives the signal.

With my Samsung Note1 phone I get pretty much Wi-Fi from the D-Link router in the whole house, even upstairs.

With my Onda Tablet I get pretty much Wi-Fi nowhere, unless the router is within sight.

Range is very difficult to say precisely, it all depends of the apparatus that receives the signal.

With my Samsung Note1 phone I get pretty much Wi-Fi from the D-Link router in the whole house, even upstairs.

With my Onda Tablet I get pretty much Wi-Fi nowhere, unless the router is within sight.

Agree. I think that to extend WiFi coverage 2-300 metres will be hit and miss. Remember also that a typical WiFi transmission is Omni-directional so you will be broadcasting to a pretty big area.

I thin a better solution would be 2 AP's in wireless bridge mode perhaps using directional antennas. I have done that before using cheap AP's and it worked very well over about 3-400 metres - until some trees grew and blocked line of sight.

done 12km once.

2 wrt54gl, directional antenna, clear line of sight from the top of high condo to another.

Those distances fresnel zone comes into play as well.

Keyword with longer distance wifi is line of sight. Microwaves have very little penetration power!

At a few 100m even a single banana tree leaf can kill the connection!

proper antennas are much better then high output power.

• Like 1

It got much better actually than WRT54GL with wireless N and MIMO technologies. Ubiquiti also uses it's proprietary AirMax technology to increase signal stability.

No question!

I was talking on something I did many years ago!

Times have moved on, but the theory remains the same!

Even the best of modern wifi equipment will still fail to penetrate 100 m of trees and plants, or more solid stuff :lol:

Hello..

may be the Best is to do it like me..connect 2 House about 300Meter away..with a Repeater Function ..mean You need a Base Router and 2 ! Router as Repeater..totally 3 Router...

Works fine for me now for 2 Years..and i save the Money for a second Internet line 699Baht a Month !

Asiate

Interesting that none of the replies talked about the 802.11 standard for routers. The version to which the router was built to determines its capabilities.

My investigations after getting True cable internet and their provided Cisco modem router says that most wireless routers are built to 802.11g like the Cisco is. The 11.g spec is old and has limited range plus, when you do get a good connection it is limited to 54MB from the router. Just like with computers, technology advances and performance improves and standards change to keep up and try to form a common baseline for the different manufacturers to work to.

The latest spec is 802.11N though an improved, updated spec 11a/c has been or is in the process of being released. Some early 11a/c routers are available in the U.S. but not here yet that I know of.

I have problems connecting within the house and on the front porch. I want more power and more range, so I intend to bridge my Cisco cable modem/router to a 802.11N wireless router.

For talking purposes, in my local store Belkin offers N150, N300, N450DB, N600DB, and N750DB wireless routers, each of which tout a maximum download speed of that number (e.g., the N150 speed is up to 150MB).

I then down selected the N600 DB because I wanted the dual band transmission and equal data rates on both bands. The N450DB said it rates were 150+300 while the N600 is 300+300. And it has a USB port..... which I will probably never use.

Round about way of suggesting that you get the stongest 802.11N router available if you want the 300 meter range. You may still need the other suggestions for antennas and repeaters, etc.

You can find a sample selection of routers available in Thailand at http://www.invadeit.co.th/search/wireless-router/

Edited by noise

Interesting that none of the replies talked about the 802.11 standard for routers. The version to which the router was built to determines its capabilities.

My investigations after getting True cable internet and their provided Cisco modem router says that most wireless routers are built to 802.11g like the Cisco is. The 11.g spec is old and has limited range plus, when you do get a good connection it is limited to 54MB from the router. Just like with computers, technology advances and performance improves and standards change to keep up and try to form a common baseline for the different manufacturers to work to.

The latest spec is 802.11N though an improved, updated spec 11a/c has been or is in the process of being released. Some early 11a/c routers are available in the U.S. but not here yet that I know of.

I have problems connecting within the house and on the front porch. I want more power and more range, so I intend to bridge my Cisco cable modem/router to a 802.11N wireless router.

For talking purposes, in my local store Belkin offers N150, N300, N450DB, N600DB, and N750DB wireless routers, each of which tout a maximum download speed of that number (e.g., the N150 speed is up to 150MB).

I then down selected the N600 DB because I wanted the dual band transmission and equal data rates on both bands. The N450DB said it rates were 150+300 while the N600 is 300+300. And it has a USB port..... which I will probably never use.

Round about way of suggesting that you get the stongest 802.11N router available if you want the 300 meter range. You may still need the other suggestions for antennas and repeaters, etc.

You can find a sample selection of routers available in Thailand at http://www.invadeit.co.th/search/wireless-router/

Thanks for that... most helpful :)

If money no object then I would go with Rutgers Routers but make sure you are sitting down when you check the price.

In the real world I have to agree with Ubiquiti.