Two Walking British Tourists Killed By Crash In Koh Samui

Very sad to hear this. I was once told Samui has 2 deaths a day due to traffic accidents and that might be true. We only hear something when tourists are involved and not even then all the time.

The solution is to learn the Thai better math in school. In Samui the most you have to drive is about 20 km unless you are participating in a triathlon or something doing a few rounds around the island.

20km with a speed of 60km/h will result in 20 minutes driving. An average of 60km/h is probably the max without stress and unnecessary risks and I even have my doubts by this speed in Samui to be doable

20km with a speed of 80km/h will result in 15 minutes driving. An avarage of 80km/h is not possible without taking big risks and drive too fast in areas where you really shouldn't

20km with a speed of 120km/h will result in a few deaths and arriving 10 minutes earlier at the destination. Are 10 minutes worth a life?

The official speed limit at Koh Samui is 45 km/h. However, some older signs shows 40 km and a few brand new – at the new termac roads – shows 50 km.

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another num nut Thai driver trying to overtake when there is a line of traffic and no space to go into.

The tactic of barging back into the line and expecting someone to jam on their brakes for you sometimes has fatal results.

My sincere condolences to the families of the unfortunate walkers - they weren't even in the traffic!

R

What a tragedy RIP and condolences to their families.

However, the driver that seemed to cause the accident is in critical condition:

Snip>Kom Petcharat, the sedan driver, told police that he was driving home from the Lamai beach. Chamnan Choowaree, the truck driver, tried to overtake Kom but cut Kom’s car off too early, causing a rear-end collision, Kom said. Losing control of their cars and driving off the road, Kom was unharmed but Chamnan drove into a teashop, leaving him in critical condition. Chamnan was rushed to Bangkok Hospital, Thairath reported.<Snip

This happens all the time, driver tries to push into line when there is no place. I thought the driving in Udon was bad but Pattaya

is inhabited by far more moronic idiot drivers. I found a new way to cross the road here, I point at the car I want to stop and shout lol

it seemed to work but I still take care.

Very sad story, my sympathies are with the victims and their families! I would like to use this tread to ask others of their experiences as pedestrians: We have a very busy and dangerous road just 100m away. Sometimes we need to walk along that road for a bit, sometimes it is dark already. Every time my wife and I have the same argument: I walk on the right side facing the traffic, she walks on the left with the traffic coming from behind her. She swears that "her wy" is how it should be done in Thailand , she also tells me should I ever have an accident walking "my way" (and survive of course) I would have to pay the driver as the drivers would not expect people walking towards them. Hmm. Has anyone else heard of this or had similar debates? Would be good to know. Stefan

• Like 1

So let me get this straight. Buying a new car in the LOS is astronomically high and buying second hand equally so compared to most western countries. After you have your overpriced limo then you are taking your chances with your life everyday you attempt to drive on Thailand's deathtrap highways.

Sad. I know it's not coming anywhere in the near future, but Thai government should really invest into sidewalks. Walking around the road with all the cars and bikes is unsettling.

I took a bicycle all the down from Jomtien to Bangkok once. It was a bad idea. Even on the shoulder people still drive too close to you. Not going to try that again.

Edited by RuskiCat

As I understand it the two men, who were staying at Rocky's Resort, with their wives, and had just gone down the street for pizza and were returning.

Their wives were of course devastated.

This place is notable for people frustrated with traffic going through Henta Henyai Lamai noi, to speedily pass, up the hill, and into the blind corner. I have seen hundreds of utterly stupid moves at this short straight away. Including two passing by this route both directions today.

This restaurant has been hit be vehicles before, it is just a dangerous place.

Very sad story, my sympathies are with the victims and their families! I would like to use this tread to ask others of their experiences as pedestrians: We have a very busy and dangerous road just 100m away. Sometimes we need to walk along that road for a bit, sometimes it is dark already. Every time my wife and I have the same argument: I walk on the right side facing the traffic, she walks on the left with the traffic coming from behind her. She swears that "her wy" is how it should be done in Thailand , she also tells me should I ever have an accident walking "my way" (and survive of course) I would have to pay the driver as the drivers would not expect people walking towards them. Hmm. Has anyone else heard of this or had similar debates? Would be good to know. Stefan

Very simple response to her;

If you can see the traffic coming at you on your side,

You can judge how crazy they are driving and move off the road more.

If you mst hear something like tires squeals before you turnaround to look,

It is likely right upon you, and you are walking backwards now.

She is dead wrong, walk facing the traffic in you lane,

Logic trumps custom any day.

Especially whe custom might remaking from wagons pulled by oxen or elephants.

As I understand it the two men, who were staying at Rocky's Resort, with their wives, and had just gone down the street for pizza and were returning. Their wives were of course devastated. This place is notable for people frustrated with traffic going through Henta Henyai Lamai noi, to speedily pass, up the hill, and into the blind corner. I have seen hundreds of utterly stupid moves at this short straight away. Including two passing by this route both directions today. This restaurant has been hit be vehicles before, it is just a dangerous place.

Is there anything any of us can do for their wives? how do you know it was Rocky's Resort?

firstly RIP to the pore victims & condolences to their family.

Only a few days ago i was nearly wiped off the road by an aggressive truck driver. Samui is becoming a hostile place to

drive around these days. Put a low level Thai Man in a truck and he becomes King Of The Road. The general standard of driving in Samui by locals, expats & tourists is pretty pore to say the least.

It's really up to the Law Enforcement Agencies to ENFORCE THE LAW & PUNISH RECKLESS & DRUNK DRIVERS.........I will not be holding my breath!

They do not care, because there is NO FEAR of the non-existent police on the roads.

Actually I think it's because the owner of every new bike or car has a priest bless it and write charms all over it with wax.

This done, it is impossible for the rider/driver to come to any harm - they simply cannot imagine it.

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 2

Rocky's was the logical place to be going on foot.

I mentioned it to someone who works there regularly and happened to be going there this evening.

He confirmed it

We believe the poor ladies have already returned home to Britain to be with family,

and await their husband's remains being sent on. All far too sad for words.

• Like 1

Rocky's was the logical place to be going on foot. I mentioned it to someone who works there regularly and happened to be going there this evening. He confirmed it We believe the poor ladies have already returned home to Britain to be with family, and await their husband's remains being sent on. All far too sad for words.

It really is far too sad for words, what a tragic end to

what was no doubt going to be an amazing holiday. If they are reading this or

their families I am truly sorry this island took your loved ones and sincerely hope

that this tragedy prompts some of us to try to change the carnage on the roads

and prevent this kind of unthinkable disaster being commonplace.

• Like 1

Another one that has too much truth in it;

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Madness

THERE are two things about Thailand that are totally incomprehensible to westerners:

Buddhism and road rules.

The two are inextricably linked, and by understanding one, you gain insight into the other.

Western religions are burdened with the concept of opposites such as good and evil, heaven and hell, and light and dark.

Buddhism recognizes the inherent one-ness of all things and sees these supposed opposites as facets of the unity and totality of existence.

To follow the way of the Thai driver, you too must cast off these illusions of duality, such as the duality of two traffic lanes moving in opposite directions.

The Thai driver sees both lanes as part of the one road, and both directions as an expression of the eternal flow of all things.

When you have grasped this concept, you will then understand why Thais so naturally swerve into oncoming traffic to overtake, and why they are completely serene as they travel along a busy road the wrong way.

It is because there is no wrong way, only ‘The Way’.

It’s the same with traffic lights.

To the enlightened Buddhist driver, red and green are not different colours, but simply different ways of seeing the same traffic light.

Unlearn such deceptive Western notions as ‘right of way’ and your inner eye will open, which is the only way to proceed through an intersection in Thailand.

In Thailand, existence is not seen as a linear progression from birth to death, but rather as an endless cycle of life, death and rebirth.

As one’s soul gains experience and enlightenment from each lifetime, that soul is reincarnated into yet another lifetime until Nirvana is achieved and he, or she, escapes from this eternal cycle into a state of perpetual bliss.

You never die, because life is a mere Honda Dream.

Instead, you simply pass into another life for another chance to attain the wisdom necessary for enlightenment.

You should also never fear death, even when careening along a twisty Phuket highway at 200km an hour with a bottomless chasm yawning right next to the road.

This life will end when it is time, and no matter how often you check your mirrors, a pick-up truck can come screaming up from behind and make that time now.

Accept this as inevitable, and you will be free to follow the way of the Thai driver, overtaking on blind corners and driving in the rain at breakneck speeds without a helmet.

Those who wish to spend a little longer in this lifetime should be especially careful when driving past Buddhist temples, because those drivers coming out have probably
just made merit and may be looking for reincarnation while the getting is good.

Be like the water, which is the essence of all life and, as such, has many lessons to teach us.

Water can fit into any container and seep through even the smallest crack, and so too can the Thai driver.

He can manouever into any space between two speeding vehicles, no matter how small or inconvenient it may be, or at what speed he is travelling.

When confronted by an obstacle, water does not stop, but flows around the obstacle, never losing momentum.

So, too must you.

When someone along life’s highway has stopped in the middle of the road to smell the roses, or pick up some fried chicken, you must flow around the obstacle, never stopping your harmonious movement.

Patience is also necessary when leaving a car park and turning across an oncoming lane of vehicles.

You must slowly edge onto the road, keeping an eye out for even the tiniest cracks in the teeming traffic.

What is the sound of one horn honking?

As you travel the road to enlightenment, you will ponder this repeatedly, because it is a sound you will hear quite a bit.

The answer is childishly simple.

It depends on how many times it honks.

One honk indicate that someone is overtaking or coming through, while a series of several honks is meant as a warning to anyone stupid enough to get in the way.

There is also the puzzle of the turn signal.

A blinking left indicator can mean the driver is about to make a left turn, or it can mean he is about to make a right turn or no turn at all.

Understanding intractable questions like these is the secret to mastering the way of the Thai road.

• Like 1

it is a very sad and also angering ! but it happens everywhere not only in KS,BKK,PHK, PAT even in LA, MIA etc! thai drivers are very bad, the roads are not so pretty either, everybody thinks!!! he or she has to bee in a rush and if an accident happens, its murphy's law that innocent people have to pay the price, years ago my thai gf got killed by a drunk driver in bkk, nothing happened to the driver of the car, paid some cash to the family and

everything cleared, if i did the same thing i would be in the dungeons forever, law of the land, law of the los, you have to accept it, or you better leave, because, us, you and me, farangs, will never change the law, or better anything!! in los, just celebrate we are still alive, life goes oncoffee1.gif

next news tomorrow

RIP guys, condolences and prayers to their families

Not content with killing large numbers on the roads, pedestrians are becoming the latest target!

There is a long way to go... not just the standards of driving.

Lack of pavement areas.

Pavement areas being blocked by vendors.

Places like Samui, where tourists are their life, needs to look at infrastructure.

very sad, RIP guys,....... not seen anything on the news in the UK , unfortunately looks like more needless lives lost in LOS and no story or warnings for our future countrymen traveling to what could also be their final destiny , time the news channels got their priorities in order , i wouldn't let any of my kids go to thailand ,............the place has gone bonkers !, from the roads and drugs to muggins and beatings , where did it all go wrong ? .

• Like 2

My condolances to all the family.

The scene shown is of my accident, on impact, a month earlier, on the same road, on the other side of Lamai. I am trapped between the trailer of the large cement carrier and a truck parked on the left. Luckily, I was a bit broken up but I survived. The roads in Samui are now like a battlefield and what do the police do? besides the obvious to anyone who has lived here for a while!

Edited by Rooo
Inserted photo.

Not content with killing large numbers on the roads, pedestrians are becoming the latest target!

There is a long way to go... not just the standards of driving.

Lack of pavement areas.

Pavement areas being blocked by vendors.

Places like Samui, where tourists are their life, needs to look at infrastructure.

It actually is a wide, well paved tar road. Properly lighted and lined. But it is at the escape valve end of lamai and so those who have been driving slow and get pent up suddenly think they can make up time here.

The main problem is comercial trucking operators insist on paying drivers 'by the number of loads in a day', not paid by the day, ostensibly to cut down on lazy drivers. But this causes drivers to rush as fast as they dare to get in an extra load before ending their shift, or just all day long, to get as many loads in as possible. This is an insanely dangerous policy.

And this rush to get there fastest possible style is observed by other thais in their personal vehicles.

Sure some go nice and slow, the problem is the slow ones cause the rushing types to get frustrated and pass them ASAP.

• Like 1

My condolances to all the family.

The scene shown is of my accident, on impact, a month earlier, on the same road, on the other side of Lamai. I am trapped between the trailer of the large cement carrier and a truck parked on the left. Luckily, I was a bit broken up but I survived. The roads in Samui are now like a battlefield and what do the police do? besides the obvious to anyone who has lived here for a while!

attachicon.gifmsg-39443-0-21340000-1364279024_thumb.jpg

They collect helmet fees at random road blocks and occasionally drubs stops when someone above them orders it.

Sod all after that. Ride around on their bikes and look official.

its now made the UK Press with some more details on the deceased

Two British men are killed after 'out of control' truck smashes into them on Thailand road

• Derek Gent, 69, and Michael Holmes, 68 died on the island of Koh Samui
  • Both men are from Rochdale - their widows are retuning home
  • Killed instantly by a pick-up truck as they walked along

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299283/Two-British-men-killed-control-truck-smashes-Thailand-road.html#ixzz2OeOgovmE

Edited by Boater