Two Walking British Tourists Killed By Crash In Koh Samui

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its now made the UK Press with some more details on the deceased

Two British men are killed after 'out of control' truck smashes into them on Thailand road

• Derek Gent, 69, and Michael Holmes, 68 died on the island of Koh Samui
  • Both men are from Rochdale - their widows are retuning home
  • Killed instantly by a pick-up truck as they walked along

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299283/Two-British-men-killed-control-truck-smashes-Thailand-road.html#ixzz2OeOgovmE

Thanks for the update on this one.

Unfortunaely the other two links do not work.

its now made the UK Press with some more details on the deceased

Two British men are killed after 'out of control' truck smashes into them on Thailand road

Derek Gent, 69, and Michael Holmes, 68 died on the island of Koh Samui

Both men are from Rochdale - their widows are retuning home

Killed instantly by a pick-up truck as they walked along

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299283/Two-British-men-killed-control-truck-smashes-Thailand-road.html#ixzz2OeOgovmE

Thanks for the update on this one.

Unfortunaely the other two links do not work.

Not to sure why they don't work , as direct from the URL ?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

More needless deaths on the island!

I think we all agree there is no pleasure in driving around Samui

and I personally avoid going anywhere unless I really to, and when I do rive it

is rare that I do not see a near miss.

We all have to drive around compensating for other drivers

and I often wonder just how many accidents you would cause if you did not slam

on your breaks, swerve out of the way and generally use your skills to

compensate for others lack of consideration for safety.

How many times have we all seen vehicles, especially mini

busses going at break neck speed and overtaking in lines of traffic and on

blind bends only to get one car ahead, stop at lights, turn left or right or

sometimes just simply pull over. Risking lives for seemingly no reason.

A few months ago I put an article in the paper asking for us

as a community to come together to do something about this problem. I don’t have

the solution but did think about workshops, or visiting schools with hard

hitting presentations to get kids to listen before they just think it is OK to

drive like lunatics.

We have mostly all lost family and friends to the roads of

Samui and the long term residents it is a frightening number.

Can we not think of something proactive we can do to help

this situation?

I did think about going around with a paint gun with red and

yellow paint shots. Then promoting the fact that if you find a red splodge on

your car or your back when you get home you are lucky you did not kill yourself

or somebody else, if you find a yellow one you get a gold star for being a

careful driver! OK this is not practical but maybe we should get the number

plates of bad drivers and put them on a wall of shame on the island somewhere

so people can see how close they came to ruining lives let alone holidays!

Does anybody have any ideas?

Move?; seriously, relocate - i will in the near future.

I don't want to move, seriously, I don't want to relocate, I

want to come together as a community and do something to make a difference! Instead

of all winging on here as we all do, let’s make this a better island, make it a

safer island, remember its out home and make it somewhere we are proud to have

been part of transforming, we have a community here, let’s get together, pull

our resources together and do something!

we don't have any resources, its the Thai's you have to convince not the guests. Part of the free and easy life style people enjoy about Samui is the lack of policing. I am in Udon at the moment, on my third night at 10pm I was breatherlised, I had not been drinking so ok. In Pattaya I get checked normally 3 times per week for license check. in 9 years in Samui I was never stopped once for anything, and like most others never wore a helmet. Samui lifestyle has a price, unfortunately this is an example of it.

• Like 1

Nothing shocks me in Thailand when I hear of this kind of thing, but so sad for these two guys and for there families.

But what does anger me is when the media surgest that the roads are to blaim, it is not the roads its the brainless idiots that are doing the driving.

My condolences to there families, R.I.P.

100% correct....rip to the poor guys ...what a shit way to have your life ended........yes the roads here r terrible and easily could be improved ......BUT u r right about the attitude of a lot of thai drivers ...was on a bus chiang mai to bangers and the dopey macho deliberately hit a car that had tried to muscle in so to speak ...absolutely amazing ...

Nothing shocks me in Thailand when I hear of this kind of thing, but so sad for these two guys and for there families.

But what does anger me is when the media surgest that the roads are to blaim, it is not the roads its the brainless idiots that are doing the driving.

My condolences to there families, R.I.P.

100% correct....rip to the poor guys ...what a shit way to have your life ended........yes the roads here r terrible and easily could be improved ......BUT u r right about the attitude of a lot of thai drivers ...was on a bus chiang mai to bangers and the dopey macho deliberately hit a car that had tried to muscle in so to speak ...absolutely amazing ...

It maybe even harder for the wives now, they were close neighbours on the same street,

and will now for the moment remain so, but every time they see the other ,

it will instantly remind them both of the tragedy they share.

Hard to say this enough, but all too sad.

As if this existing story weren't enough;

A bartender from Rocky's was killed on his bike at 2 am the night/morning before.

All the staff were dealing with his loss before brunch,

only to have this happen to two guests before dinner time.

Just bad luck and sad beyond words.

First picture of the friends who were killed by out-of-control truck on dream trip to Thailand with their wives

• Derek Gent and Mike Holmes killed as they walked by the side of the road
  • The pair had been friends for 30 years, their children say in joint statement
  • They had been staying with their wives at a luxury resort on Koh Samui

The families of two holidaymakers mown down by a truck in Thailand today said the deaths have left a 'massive hole' in their lives, as the first pictures of the pair were released.

Derek Gent and Mike Holmes, both 68 and from Rochdale, Greater Manchester died in the road traffic accident while away with their wives on the lush tropical island of Koh Samui.

They had been friends for 30 years, their children said in a joint statement today.

article-2299850-18EF581D000005DC-516_634

Tragedy: Lifelong friends Mike Holmes (left) and Derek Gent, who were killed when they were hit by a truck while on holiday in Thailand. Their families today released a joint statement paying tribute to the men

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299850/Derek-Gent-Mike-Holmes-First-picture-Rochdale-friends-killed-truck-dream-holiday-Thailand.html#ixzz2OkE7Qn7m

Edited by Boater

I'd be interested to know if they were forced to walk in the street because a/ there were no pavements, or b/ the pavements were obstructed.

Given the lack of virtually any consideration to pedestrians in LOS, I'm not at all surprised that pedestrians were killed. My only surprise here is that more pedestrians aren't killed.

They always go on about how Thailand was never colonised, but if they had of been, perhaps they'd be like Malaya or Singapore, and build pavements as a requirement for walking, not something to set up stalls or park m'cycles on, if they even exist.

• Like 1

This is very sad indeed, and i am not saying that they were doing this, but i am noticing more than ever that there appear to be many tourists walking in Soi's 3 & 4 abreast as though they are on a footpath without consideration for motorbikes. Sometimes when i have to "Peep" them, they get quite aggressive. There are a lot of Russians about these days who do not seem to know that vehicles have right of way on these Soi's.

I'd be interested to know if they were forced to walk in the street because a/ there were no pavements, or b/ the pavements were obstructed.

Given the lack of virtually any consideration to pedestrians in LOS, I'm not at all surprised that pedestrians were killed. My only surprise here is that more pedestrians aren't killed.

They always go on about how Thailand was never colonised, but if they had of been, perhaps they'd be like Malaya or Singapore, and build pavements as a requirement for walking, not something to set up stalls or park m'cycles on, if they even exist.

This outside town, no pavements on country roads.

Very true - but even when there are pavements (sidewalks) they block them. eg bangrak - they placed lampposts, power pylons and planted trees in the middle of the pavement.

Very true - but even when there are pavements (sidewalks) they block them. eg bangrak - they placed lampposts, power pylons and planted trees in the middle of the pavement.

same in Lamai, sign posts 5 & 1/2 foot high are a good bet for a sore head too, that's after you've gone over on your ankle on the broken flagstones circumventing the powerpole in the middle of the pavement. I feel like it would be safer wearing a crash helmut walking.

• Like 1

Problem with mot tourists is, they think, just like I did when I was new to Thailand, that Western road rules and behavior are followed in Thailand or at least traffic users follow local road rules. It's a rude awakening when you find out that it works differently in Thailand.

This way of thinking is also very dangerous for your average tourists health and safety!

Very well said limbos. wai.gif

MY wife has been here for 13 years and she still berates other motorists from time to time (not nearly so often now though giggle.gif )

• Like 1

As if this were not enough...

There was another fatal accident in front of Rocky's Saturday last,

a week later after the two older gentlemen and the bartender.

A 19 year old young man was killed by a hit an run driver out front.

He was a guest in a wedding party that is about to take place there.

I can't imagine the horror for all involved and the sadness for the

bride and groom and the families involved.

This is a bad section of road where far too many go far too fast.

It is not physically deteriorated or badly lit, it is just at the mental vent,

for drivers who have driven too slow in town and now think they can go fast.

It's not karma or bad juju or what ever, just weird times come to visit.

I hope they catch the scum runaway driver.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 2

I heard the latest one was actually a young woman that was tragically killed on 31st outside Rocky's, not a young man - unless there has been another one.

There were also 3 killed in Choengman a few days ago. A Thai adult and 2 kids on a motorbike, wiped out by a bad Thai driver ... near to the gas station.

I had wanted new sealed roads for many years, now I think we might be better off with the old pot-holed ones as there are too many innocent people being killed by fast drivers.

RIP to all.

• Like 2

I heard the latest one was actually a young woman that was tragically killed on 31st outside Rocky's, not a young man - unless there has been another one.

There were also 3 killed in Choengman a few days ago. A Thai adult and 2 kids on a motorbike, wiped out by a bad Thai driver ... near to the gas station.

I had wanted new sealed roads for many years, now I think we might be better off with the old pot-holed ones as there are too many innocent people being killed by fast drivers.

RIP to all.

+1

especially about the roads. My feelings too. sad.png

Last night in a queue of cars driving at 60 kph from Bangrak to FV. 3 trucks went sceaming by (2 tailgating each other) trying to pass at least 4 of us in the queue. crazy.gif

Low and behold - car coming in the opposite direction - mayhem ensued as the three hoons tried to cut into the queue. wacko.png

Absolute tossers. We all got held up at My Friend restaurant anyway. What was the point? whistling.gif

• Like 1

RIP to all.

Yes, I was corrected by my source yesterday, it was a young woman.

He didn't know at the time, but it was one of the bridesmaids.

There is also rumor, unconfirmed, that the older lady who ran the roadside restaurant

and a Thai customer were also killed with the two English men, but that is just what

is going around Lamai, no confirmation in the press. It could be just they were injured.

RIP all of course.

Edited by animatic

Very sad story, my sympathies are with the victims and their families! I would like to use this tread to ask others of their experiences as pedestrians: We have a very busy and dangerous road just 100m away. Sometimes we need to walk along that road for a bit, sometimes it is dark already. Every time my wife and I have the same argument: I walk on the right side facing the traffic, she walks on the left with the traffic coming from behind her. She swears that "her wy" is how it should be done in Thailand , she also tells me should I ever have an accident walking "my way" (and survive of course) I would have to pay the driver as the drivers would not expect people walking towards them. Hmm. Has anyone else heard of this or had similar debates? Would be good to know. Stefan

Beyond ridiculous. Some thai people have absolutely no ability to reason. And you have to be able to call them on it. Walking into traffic is the most sensible thing you can do in Samui. It is the best defense against the horrific driving. You have a fighting chance. Deny the nonsense. Refuse it outright. Call them on it! Do your own thing, and never give in to a lack of reason, or intelligence. Yeah, like I would pay a driver for hitting me!

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Reading this thread i find myself wondering what it will take before central government actually gets on the phone and orders the island to have our roads policed. Just how many more people will have to die innocently before these politicians make the decision to act because one things for sure...they must know how bad it is down here.

Just yesterday i was riding down the main road in bophut opposite Samui Palm Beach hotel when a guy behind the wheel of a beaten up pickup was coming towards me and just pulled out and forced me nearly onto the pavement. He clearly didn't give a t*ss as to my welfare. It was scary.

As the island gets busier and busier the cars and bikes will increase and the death toll will continue to rise. Very sad.

Edited by carmine

As if this were not enough...

There was another fatal accident in front of Rocky's Saturday last,

a week later after the two older gentlemen and the bartender.

A 19 year old young man was killed by a hit an run driver out front.

He was a guest in a wedding party that is about to take place there.

I can't imagine the horror for all involved and the sadness for the

bride and groom and the families involved.

This is a bad section of road where far too many go far too fast.

It is not physically deteriorated or badly lit, it is just at the mental vent,

for drivers who have driven too slow in town and now think they can go fast.

It's not karma or bad juju or what ever, just weird times come to visit.

I hope they catch the scum runaway driver.

And what do you think would happen if they caught him? Do you know there are no penalties in Thailand for hit and run? None. If there were, that would be known as law and order, which barely exists here. Happened to me. A thai guy hit my bike, on the side of the road, nearly destroyed it, and two others, and fled the scene. The police found him, as the man was known to everyone at the scene of the crime. The police acted as if fleeing the scene of a crime was normal. I insisted they take him to prison, and the police laughed, and were joking around with this insect, who they knew. They said as long as he paid damages, that was the end of it. In a civilized country, hit and run is serious. But, this is more evidence that Thailand is not a developed country, barely developing when it comes to traffic laws. Barely developing! So, if they catch the rodent who killed this woman, who was about to get married, and start her new life, no penalties can be expected. If he has cash, he will serve no time. If he has no cash, maybe 2 years? Thailand has little deterrent built into the justice system. The prison terms meted out here are some of the most lenient in the world. No deterrent, I repeat. One of the reasons why many of the drivers behave like insects and rodents. They are not afraid of getting caught, bit they would prefer not to, as it may be inconvenient after killing someone on the road. They flee without honor, or respect, like what would be expected of a 12 year old boy.

How about this for a start? Anytime we see a mini van driving carelessly (90% of the time), we call the hotel or agency listed on the van, and complain about the careless driving. Let them know that we think they may have a murder on their hands, if they maintain this driver. State a time of day, so they know which driver is likely to cause death, and injury. Could something like this campaign be effective? Worth a try?

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Reading this thread i find myself wondering what it will take before central government actually gets on the phone and orders the island to have our roads policed. Just how many more people will have to die innocently before these politicians make the decision to act because one things for sure...they must know how bad it is down here.

Just yesterday i was riding down the main road in bophut opposite Samui Palm Beach hotel when a guy behind the wheel of a beaten up pickup was coming towards me and just pulled out and forced me nearly onto the pavement. He clearly didn't give a t*ss as to my welfare. It was scary.

As the island gets busier and busier the cars and bikes will increase and the death toll will continue to rise. Very sad.

No. The central government and the Surat Thani government treat samui like a bastard child. Zero concern is given to samui. It is a great shame. They such the cash out of the island, and give almost nothing back. They could solve alot of the islands traffic issues nearly overnight, if they sent the Surat Thani police over here, to replace the nearly useless samui police. Strict enforcement of traffic laws. How about speeding tickets, with 10,000 baht fines, or immediate and permanent confiscation of the vehicle? Would the word get around? You begin with a deterrent, something that is almost unknown in samui, and nearly unknown in Thailand.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

No. The central government and the Surat Thani government treat samui like a bastard child. Zero concern is given to samui. It is a great shame. They such the cash out of the island, and give almost nothing back. They could solve alot of the islands traffic issues nearly overnight, if they sent the Surat Thani police over here, to replace the nearly useless samui police. Strict enforcement of traffic laws. How about speeding tickets, with 10,000 baht fines, or immediate and permanent confiscation of the vehicle? Would the word get around? You begin with a deterrent, something that is almost unknown in samui, and nearly unknown in Thailand.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

If there were 10,000 baht fines and confiscated vehicles - some of the members of this forum would be the first to complain. giggle.gif

Seriously though, whilst your suggestions are fine in theory, the practicality is that most Thais do not have 10,000 baht and so the jails would be full - and that is not the Thai way.

I was visiting the Thai central court in Bangkok once, and I asked my lawyer about all of the homeless people, begging and offering 'services' outside the courts. He explained that they were all poor, illegal Burmese and that they wanted to go to jail for a bed and a meal - so the Thai police left them outside!. (No one explained that there weren't any beds anyway!)