Waiving 400,000 Baht Requirement

A friend of mine from the UK has been staying in Chiang Mai for 3 years with a 1 year marriage visa. He has had some financial problems and won't have anywhere near the 400k requirement when his visa comes up at the end of the month. He is a little less than 2 years away from getting his pension and also has money due him that will allow him to have the 400k but it could be some months away.

Does anyone know if there has been any exceptions made for someone who couldn't meet the 400k requirement? If not, what is his best option at this time?

thanks

He can ask but believe exceptions are normally only considered during the first year of marriage. But do have both him and wife ask as nothing will be lost.

A trip to Penang would be the normal path. At least a single and probably a multi entry non immigrant O visa would be available there. From recent reports KL is also good. Take marriage certificate an copy of wife id card (or wife).

He can ask but believe exceptions are normally only considered during the first year of marriage. But do have both him and wife ask as nothing will be lost.

A trip to Penang would be the normal path. At least a single and probably a multi entry non immigrant O visa would be available there. From recent reports KL is also good. Take marriage certificate an copy of wife id card (or wife).

Lop, For future ref.,Doesnt marriage to a Thai citizen automatically qualify someone for the multi entry NonImm O??

A friend of mine from the UK has been staying in Chiang Mai for 3 years with a 1 year marriage visa. He has had some financial problems and won't have anywhere near the 400k requirement when his visa comes up at the end of the month. He is a little less than 2 years away from getting his pension and also has money due him that will allow him to have the 400k but it could be some months away.

Does anyone know if there has been any exceptions made for someone who couldn't meet the 400k requirement? If not, what is his best option at this time?

thanks

If you plan to apply for PR, then you should try to get the 400,000 bht. Otherwise you will need to start all over again and it would be a real pity.

Try to borrow from your friends, relatives etc. If still to no avail, let me know. I will help you with the money but you must first try hard

Lop, For future ref.,Doesnt marriage to a Thai citizen automatically qualify someone for the multi entry NonImm O??

Nothing is automatic and any visa is issued at the discretion of the Consular Officer who issues it. In this area of the world Penang is the best choice and even there you may not receive a multi entry the first time you apply (per recent report).

lopburi3 Posted Today, 2006-03-12 19:04:07

Nothing is automatic and any visa is issued at the discretion of the Consular Officer who issues it. In this area of the world Penang is the best choice and even there you may not receive a multi entry the first time you apply (per recent report).

Lopburi3

Nearly 2 years ago I forgot to get a re-entry permit (stupid boy) and screwed up my Support visa.

Eventually I went to Penang and used an agent to get me a 3 month Non Imm "O" visa and they guy said at that time that he could have got me a 1 year multi entry visa.

What the status is now I am not sure. Perhaps someone who has been recently can update us.

It has the be your OWN money, so money from the wife isn't money from you...to support the wife.

Money from the wife to support you isn't valid.

And it has to come from outside the country unless you have a WP and get 40K/month.

Otherwise I could have easily solved this problem with extension...

It has the be your OWN money, so money from the wife isn't money from you...to support the wife.

And it has to come from outside the country unless you have a WP and get 40K/month.

not sure about the money must to come from out the country

i'm in phuket and i get thai visa wife and is not necessary that 400x come from out the country,but only that i show that i have this money

i have also a WP and show some 35000bath of salary-months,i'm married here with 2 baby borning here :o

Why? Don't you know? Today it' very easy to move the cash assets.

According to me it's seems a very absurd that I cannot use my wife's money.

About me no problem because my money comes from abroad, but some rules are very ridicolouses.

not sure about the money must to come from out the country

i'm in phuket and i get thai visa wife and is not necessary that 400x come from out the country,but only that i show that i have this money

i have also a WP and show some 35000bath of salary-months,i'm married here with 2 baby borning here :o

I agree nowhere is write that you have to demonstrate that the 400k comes from abroad.. But is just write that you must have 400k in your account. and not says that you must to specify the source of them..

Not sure about this one, but for the retirement visa age 50 or over. The requirments are 400K in the bank, or income of 40 K a month from a outside source or a combination of both totaling the 400K per year.

I didn't see anything about which visa he was trying to get so that is why I'm not sure if this info will be of any help. A few day loan from a friend may or may not help, as it appears that it will be a few years before he actually gets his retirement.

Good luck to him, he may have to join the monthy trip takers for a bit, but it doesn't sound like a long time.

By the way sometimes the immigration officials do follow up and see if the money is taken out of the account the following day after visa issue. Whatever route he takes he will be much better off and safer to follow the rules. the last thing I think anyone would want would be to be deported and banned a much more serious problem, then making the visa runs.

Not sure about this one, but for the retirement visa age 50 or over. The requirments are 400K in the bank, or income of 40 K a month from a outside source or a combination of both totaling the 400K per year.

I take it that you are referring the so-called 'Marriage Visa'? :o

The 'Retirement Visa' requirements are 800k in the bank or 65k per month income (or combination) with proof of a foreign source.

... nowhere is write that you have to demonstrate that the 400k comes from abroad.. But is just write that you must have 400k in your account. and not says that you must to specify the source of them..

Generally, immigration will scrutinize your sources of income, when applying for a 'support-wife-extension'. If you can't prove, your income comes from abroad, they are likely to believe it comes from within Thailand... and then they are very likely to ask for your WP and your tax-id --- without which you can't possible have a legal Thailand-originated income.

Not in Pattaya. I just told them I have a business overseas, no further questions asked.

You didn't even have to show your passbook? Unbelievable! (And nothing to rely on for anyone with less charm, than you).

... nowhere is write that you have to demonstrate that the 400k comes from abroad.. But is just write that you must have 400k in your account. and not says that you must to specify the source of them..

Generally, immigration will scrutinize your sources of income, when applying for a 'support-wife-extension'. If you can't prove, your income comes from abroad, they are likely to believe it comes from within Thailand... and then they are very likely to ask for your WP and your tax-id --- without which you can't possible have a legal Thailand-originated income.

yes,this is right 100 per cent,in phuket,immigration think like this :o

Let us suppose that someone cannot demonstrate that his money comes from abroad.

Maybe because he has loosed some of his Atm slips , or because he has carried some traveler cheques from his country but hi has not thought to keep the receipt issued by the local money changer..

Do what happen in these cases? Do they not give the visa although there are the whole financial requirements?

It’s possible , but there are many people has start a business in their wife’s name and they got the extension without problems.

How do you explain that?

Edited by astor

Just a thougth I have been told that they will not accept ATM slips as proof even if you have then in Nong Kia. There are very specific guidelines that are used which inludes a letter from the bank that the funds were deposited in.

I'm just going back to the Uk to get a new non-immigrant B visa (my 4th...). but I legally marry my Thai 'wife' in a few weeks and will then change my visa to an O visa - and then apply for the 1 year extension etc. I have 400,000 baht in my Bangkok Bank account, (because I send this sort of amount from my UK bank each month etc). But I never get any document to proof that my funds have come from outside of Thailand.

When it comes to applying for the O-visa extension, can I just show them my bank passbooks and balance/history over the past few years, or do I specifically need this proof-of-overseas-funds document?

(I'm in Phuket btw!)

Simon

If you have been working here (B visa) and had a work permit you would be expected to have local funds in your account. If not your Bangkok Bank passbook should have "ftt" before each wire transfer deposit which shows it came from outside Thailand.

Simon 43, it is really not all that difficult to do, but it does require more then that. I recommend that you check out the visa section, pay very close attention to the documents required It's a breeze when you have everything a pain when you don't.

Just a thougth I have been told that they will not accept ATM slips as proof even if you have then in Nong Kia. There are very specific guidelines that are used which inludes a letter from the bank that the funds were deposited in.

Ok no problem if they not accept the Atm splips as a proof I'll make my visa in consulate of my country and I'll close my account in the thai bank.

I'd want to live in here as a good guy , but they cannot make the diddicult life to the people.

I know I may seem too much intrnsigent but these things makes me rally angry.

Ok no problem if they not accept the Atm splips as a proof I'll make my visa in consulate of my country and I'll close my account in the thai bank.

I'd want to live in here as a good guy , but they cannot make the diddicult life to the people.

Astor it's really not hard just look up the requirements and do them, it's worth it. If you have a Thai bank account and you put the money in there, that is what you need not ATM slips. The requiremetns are going to be the same in the thai consulate in yor home country. In Los Angeles they actually require more the they do here. Nothing to get upset about just got to cross your T's and dot your I's, like with anyother government.

Really recommend anyone who is considering a long term visa here to take the time to review the visa section of the forum. there is a wealth of information there.

Astor it's really not hard just look up the requirements and do them, it's worth it. If you have a Thai bank account and you put the money in there, that is what you need not ATM slips.

Why? I could never touch the money in account and use my Atm card for the daily expenses.

Are there some laws that force me to withdraw my money in my thai bank?

The money are mine and me only can manege them.

The requiremetns are going to be the same in the thai consulate in yor home country. In Los Angeles they actually require more the they do here.

Sorry but you're be in error. I went in consulate of my country and I asked visa for 8 mounts . They gave me a multi entry visa for one year and no finacial requirements at all.

Nothing to get upset about just got to cross your T's and dot your I's, like with anyother government.

Really recommend anyone who is considering a long term visa here to take the time to review the visa section of the forum. there is a wealth of information there.

That’s the way to go. You’re a free man and nobody can force you to do annual extensions on your non-imm O visa.

--------------

Maestro

That’s the way to go. You’re a free man and nobody can force you to do annual extensions on your non-imm O visa.

--------------

Maestro

Absolutley correct not the marriage visa and completly different

I agree nowhere is write that you have to demonstrate that the 400k comes from abroad.. But is just write that you must have 400k in your account. and not says that you must to specify the source of them..

here is a checklist that immigration sometimes uses. number 6 refers to funds transferred from abroad. as lopburi3 posted, within your bangkok bank passbook FTT is the code for that type of transfer.

it is up to the immigration officer whether to be a stickler on this requirement. after the first extension, i have been topping off the account without wire transfers and haven't had any problems.

Well; at number 6 it's write "in case" money in tranferred from abroad . This means that is not an obligation ,but it's only an option.

Because there are the other options:

1- The applicant has a W.P

2- The applicant has set up a business in his wife name.

I know that somebody says that you cannot use the money of your wife. but it's a very controversial matter on which there would be much to discuss.