Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

re

Doesn't look so bad. Thank you for posting pictures

+ 1 but i dont see any seats ?

where are we and the girls people watching / looking for

customers supposed to sit ?

i was going to come down for a holliday after i get my new one year visa in a few weeks but if theres nowhere to sit and people watch i think ill go somewhere else or stay in chiang mai ?

dave2

ps . its raining and grey up here this morning : (

post-42592-0-12209600-1371781114_thumb.j

post-42592-0-70901200-1371781772_thumb.j

post-42592-0-00110500-1371781841_thumb.j

Today.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Doesn't look so bad. Thank you for posting pictures!

Don't think much of the green brickwork, the grey/blue tones at the Northern end look a lot better. The green looks old even before they have finished laying it.

re

i was going to come down for a holliday after i get my new one year visa in a few weeks but if theres nowhere to sit and people watch i think ill go somewhere else or stay in chiang mai ?

dave2

its a cunning plan by city hall to get rid of the whores without BIB

no seats means no buyers=no sellers

there are plenty of seats in the drawings, they aren't built in so will be plonked down later. maybe they will change their plan but still I wouldn't expect the seating to go in till the paving is finished so I don't think its worth panicking yet

there are plenty of seats in the drawings, they aren't built in so will be plonked down later. maybe they will change their plan but still I wouldn't expect the seating to go in till the paving is finished so I don't think its worth panicking yet

You have a good point. Another feature of the pictures in the drawings is a beautiful beach without tacky deckchairs and faded tatty umbrellas, can we hope that they will also disappear?

re

dave2

its a cunning plan by city hall to get rid of the whores without BIB

no seats means no buyers=no sellers

That would be lovely indeed.smile.png

You have a good point. Another feature of the pictures in the drawings is a beautiful beach without tacky deckchairs and faded tatty umbrellas, can we hope that they will also disappear?

The beach has been leased out to the umbrella/chair people.

Even the 50% designated to tourists has been leased and turned into a slum.

What an ugly mess.

Edited by DiNiro
  • Like 1

The beach has been leased out to the umbrella/chair people.

Even the 50% designated to tourists has been leased and turned into a slum.

What an ugly mess.

It was one of my wilder dreams!! Walked from North to Central yesterday and despite all the naysaying am actually quite impressed with the rate of progress. If only we could rely on the powers that be to finish the job decently with adequate seating and not just rent out all the new wide open spaces to various vendors.

Just got back from a couple of weeks in Pattaya and it was interesting to see the work first hand. Most noticeable was the complete lack of seating on the new "prom". I do hope it will be installed later. It can be nice to just sit and watch the world go by. Also, instead of taking a small staircase down to the beach; as previously; now it was just a case of stepping straight onto the beach from the "prom". Some serious beach restructuring is going on. The extra lane on Beach Rd is parking only and the beach owner I spoke to said that the hope was that weekend trade coming from Bangkok and other Thai towns and cities would be able to park right on the beach and bring in significant business. Trade for the beach holders has fallen off dramatically - the Northern Europeans who were the most regular patrons don't come in any serious numbers to Pattaya anymore and the Russians and Indians don't appear to be taking up the slack.

On a separate point I took a walk to Wong Amat. I know it's low season now, but this is a ghost town and not a pretty sight either. Empty, dirty beaches surrounded by high rise and (some) very luxurious condos. Where has all the sand gone? Where are all the residents? The walkway from Pattaya beach has finally become impassable - erosion on a very large scale.

Just got back from a couple of weeks in Pattaya and it was interesting to see the work first hand. Most noticeable was the complete lack of seating on the new "prom". I do hope it will be installed later. It can be nice to just sit and watch the world go by. Also, instead of taking a small staircase down to the beach; as previously; now it was just a case of stepping straight onto the beach from the "prom". Some serious beach restructuring is going on. The extra lane on Beach Rd is parking only and the beach owner I spoke to said that the hope was that weekend trade coming from Bangkok and other Thai towns and cities would be able to park right on the beach and bring in significant business. Trade for the beach holders has fallen off dramatically - the Northern Europeans who were the most regular patrons don't come in any serious numbers to Pattaya anymore and the Russians and Indians don't appear to be taking up the slack.

On a separate point I took a walk to Wong Amat. I know it's low season now, but this is a ghost town and not a pretty sight either. Empty, dirty beaches surrounded by high rise and (some) very luxurious condos. Where has all the sand gone? Where are all the residents? The walkway from Pattaya beach has finally become impassable - erosion on a very large scale.

IMO it would be great if the vendors all disappeared. There never used to be vendors along Beach Road and it was all so much better back then. Now it's all just about money.

Punters from Northern Europe don't come anymore because Pattaya has become too expensive with 25% accomodation price rises in one year at a time when sterling is 50% less value than it used to be. Hardly surprising.

Pattaya hoteliers have killed the golden goose.

BTW, the walkway around the headland has been impassable for years. Of course, no one is making the hotel that encroached the beach in the first place maintain it. Corruption rules in the "new" Pattaya.

• Like 1

IMO it would be great if the vendors all disappeared. There never used to be vendors along Beach Road and it was all so much better back then. Now it's all just about money.

Totally agree they make the whole place look shabby which Is a shame after all this work is being done to make it look nice.

Edited by rayong09

Champers, you said it right, although you probably meant "beach holder", and not "beach owner"! But this is exactly what these people that rent the beach area, think they are, Beach Owners, and pitty the poor guy that wants to use a parking space, and the beach Owner, runs out and tells him to move on, he wants only some one that will rent his chair. I have given up with the Beach Owners on Jomtien, so I just park on the other side of the road. It is getting to be that there is no roadside parking in Pattaya, all spaces are reserved for bike rentals, or their own personal car. Just waiting for someone to get shot, for parking in the wrong place.

Punters from Northern Europe don't come anymore because Pattaya has become too expensive with 25% accomodation price rises in one year at a time when sterling is 50% less value than it used to be. Hardly surprising.

BTW, the walkway around the headland has been impassable for years. Of course, no one is making the hotel that encroached the beach in the first place maintain it. Corruption rules in the "new" Pattaya.

The walkway: It was just about passable in January - with a ladder in place. I walked via the beach/rocks when the tide was out this time.

Tofay work near soi 10 and hotel Siam Bayview. If they only could bring up the rear work ...

Black market will sell the few remaining plac on beach road for B500 p.p.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-181241-13721451773013_thumb.jpg

post-181241-13721452203744_thumb.jpg

post-181241-13721452397814_thumb.jpg

post-181241-13721452484022_thumb.jpg

The walkway: It was just about passable in January - with a ladder in place. I walked via the beach/rocks when the tide was out this time.

I meant that the walkway was impassable for non athletic people that can't scramble over the rocks ie on the concrete path that used to be there, If you can do that, yes, I could have got round at low tide.

I meant that the walkway was impassable for non athletic people that can't scramble over the rocks ie on the concrete path that used to be there, If you can do that, yes, I could have got round at low tide.

I second that.

A few years back I used to walk the beach in the morning from WS to the headland. Walkway was already in bad shape then and, though I love hiking and scrambling, I just thought the 'ladder' to the next beach too adventurous (ie not safe enough) for me to use. I can imagine how much more degraded that walkway and the 'ladder' are today.

I second that.

A few years back I used to walk the beach in the morning from WS to the headland. Walkway was already in bad shape then and, though I love hiking and scrambling, I just thought the 'ladder' to the next beach too adventurous (ie not safe enough) for me to use. I can imagine how much more degraded that walkway and the 'ladder' are today.

personally I think that altho the council should be responsible theres no reason some of the nearby hotels cant show a little initiative. as an example I find it amazing that at low tide the beach in front of the Hilton is covered with broken bottles and rusting cans, theres no reason in the world they cant pay someone a hundred baht a day to start picking the rubbish up just to make sure that none of their customers get cut feet, but it aint going to happen in this world Edited by wwex

I second that.

personally I think that altho the council should be responsible theres no reason some of the nearby hotels cant show a little initiative. as an example I find it amazing that at low tide the beach in front of the Hilton is covered with broken bottles and rusting cans, theres no reason in the world they cant pay someone a hundred baht a day to start picking the rubbish up just to make sure that none of their customers get cut feet, but it aint going to happen in this world

Do you really think that the type of people who stay at the Hilton really go on the beach in front of it ?

• Like 1

Parking like that was the norm a few years back, especially on my 1st visit to Pattaya.

The woman I was with parked up between the trees and we slept in the back of the truck.

Made a change from a nice comfy bed.

Pattaya Beach construction update

North end to Hard Rock foot path is accessable. More brick laid, sea wall and large beach drains work in some places.

Hard Rock to Soi 10...limited to no foot path..... has heavy construction. Some trails to beach but limited

Soi 10 to Walking Street full access with some prep being done.

How are they laying the foot path bricks, are they removable?

They're setting them with concrete, have a manual cutting machine for the fiddly bits, and they finish off by brushing sand into the joints. Same as might be done in the UK.

How are they laying the foot path bricks, are they removable?

They're setting them with concrete, have a manual cutting machine for the fiddly bits, and they finish off by brushing sand into the joints. Same as might be done in the UK.

same as "might be done in uk" maybe a who you would never see again would do it like this whistling.gif

Edited by Rimmer
Derogatory

From what I have seen there are two different methods in laying these bricks on the walkway. This may insure that the brick does not wash away during flooding, water table issues, and cost.

1. Packed sand, then thin layer of concrete(left to dry), then a layer of sand then the brick laid.

2. Packed sand then the brick laid.

After the brick is laid then a thin layer of sand on top is used with a vibrating device to fill the sides of brick with sand and seat the brick at a constant level.

After all this is the beach and will only last as long as mother nature lets it.