April May Touch 43 Degrees Celsius: Thai Meteorological Department

webfact

April may touch 43 degrees
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The temperature will rise to as high as 43 degrees Celsius next month, the Meteorological Department said. The cause for this is the unusually low number of clouds and less humidity, plus a heat mass moving to the Kingdom, posing the risk of more frequent tropical thunderstorms.

The average temperature in Bangkok will be 37-39 degrees.

Somchai Bai-muang, director general of the Meteorological Department, said the temperature has been steadily rising from mid-February and will probably prevail until mid-May, becoming particularly severe until April 3.

The North, Northeast and East will be more prone to thunderstorms, which could be more frequent and stronger than previous years.

Temperatures in many provinces has already hit the 40-degree mark, though it should not climb above 44.5 degrees Celsius.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-30

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

should it be wise to start buying roof panels before they start flying

we now get a bit of rain about 1 or 2 times a week so the soil isnt too dry

but indeed it can get hot and humid

Mukdahan N.E.

You can't be in the weather business without being alarmist these days.

Hot season will be hot, maybe hotter than usual, but maybe not.

Saying it might be slightly higher than it is already isn't been alarmist. The report is quite balanced. Sounds to be more like it's preparing people for very hot weather to continue. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by davejones
  • Like 2

Regular 36 to 38 degree days here in Phuket. It certainly feels hotter than past years but I originally put that down to getting older, however many locals also feel the same. Many of the wells are all but dry & water trucks are continuously operating. Authorities say we have enough water for 3 months & it may be true for those of us on government water but those dependent on concrete ring wells may not be so lucky.

• Like 1

Last winter was the hottest Bangkok winter I'd experienced. This yr NZ summer has bn prolonged, though much cooler than when I came to Auckland 42 yrs ago. I used to get dozens of mosquito bites in Feb. but seldom get one now.

Every day last week I left work and the temp was either 39-40 on my car's temp thermometer. This is in Nonthaburi. So this article is of no surprise as it's already reaching those temps.

Same in Chiang Mai, driving home from work the car registered 39 outside temp. Our secretary was complaining about it. wink.png

• Like 1

43 degrees in April and the possibility of no electric starting 5 April to ?? Where I live no electric means no water and nothing to move the air inside the house (fans/air con). Might be a smelly month!

It hasn't been below 40c where we are in Isaan for a week, probably 2. Some years hot, some years not, but this one is definitely a hot one. As for thunderstorms, please bring it on, this place is like a desert at the moment.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 2

You know we must all be English in this particular thread as we English are very enthusiastic about commenting on the weather you know

Conversation about the weather is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Oscar Wilde

I can tell you it's mighty warm here in Bahn Poo Sangkha in Surin, been averaging a steady +42.C. for the last week

Edited by siampolee

spare a thought for the workers

- yesterday cycling on the way home from the beach (Chanthaburi), a stretch of new asphalt being laid - as I sweated past in shorts/t-shirt guzzling my chilled water, workers covered head-toe shoveling hot asphalt mix, the heat coming up off the new road was oven-like. I wouldn't last long working/dressed like that.

Local temp recorded at 39, must have been well into 40+ on that road.
I like the heat, decided I was made for a hot climate - but just not to work all day in it, outdoors.

spare a thought for the workers

- yesterday cycling on the way home from the beach (Chanthaburi), a stretch of new asphalt being laid - as I sweated past in shorts/t-shirt guzzling my chilled water, workers covered head-toe shoveling hot asphalt mix, the heat coming up off the new road was oven-like. I wouldn't last long working/dressed like that.

Local temp recorded at 39, must have been well into 40+ on that road.

I like the heat, decided I was made for a hot climate - but just not to work all day in it, outdoors.

Sure, only thing is if you are working in the sun all day, t-shirt and shorts aren't going to cut it. Because within minutes you could suffer sunburn, not to mention blisters (eventually) and even heat stroke...you have to dress up like a Taliban warrior in order to keep yourself protected from the sun if you are not going to be moving much and out in the sun all day like that. When I was a first year student picking cherries in the summer in Australia, I dressed the same...long pants, long sleeved shirt, t-shirt wrapped around my neck and over my head, sunglasses and hat, applied sunscreen on my exposed hands and still got burnt. This was in Young, NSW where it was 40 degrees + everyday in December that year.